• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS into Dreams HD |OT| Dreaming of snow, sparkles, and nightmares [Control patch]

scitek

They never announced a date for the PC version, so it can't be said that it was delayed. What if the PC ports are just not ready?

JSR released the same day, so to me it's delayed. I bought that day-one, I'll buy this on a sale. I still have it and a Saturn that works just fine.

scitek

and this is why PC gamers are served last.

This is why console gamers are dicks.

Seriously, why's it wrong for me to be disappointed when they didn't bother clarifying it wouldn't be released simultaneously with consoles? I'm hyped now. I want to buy and play it now. I can't. Not my fault.

Tadale

Christmas NiGHTS has always been one of those games I've wanted to play but never had the chance to. Excited to get this on Friday.

mollipen

As much as I'm looking forward to Nights, I have to say I'm concerned about Christmas Nights.

The PS2 version this is based on had Christmas Nights as an unlockable only after you got all A rankings with both characters, something I was never able to do. I really hope Sega took note of that and made it available by other means this time - particularly since they are using it as a selling point.

Just to clarify on this, you do not need to get As on everything to unlock Christmas NiGHTS.

gryz

Banned
PC gamers are treated like 2nd class citizens, especially when PC is the king of DD. There's no excuse for a delay.

pc sales of this game will be miniscule, you should be happy it's coming at all. sorry your port of an old console game is being released on consoles first.

scitek

I agree with Scitek, I was so set on getting this on Steam today.

Look, I'm glad it's coming to PC at least. Thank you Sega for making that decision. But communicate the releases better, please.

JSR was day-and-date, I expected them all to be. I don't think that's unreasonable.

pc sales of this game will be miniscule, you should be happy it's coming at all. sorry your port of an old console game is being released on consoles first.

Except on PC it has the potential to sell for years to come and not one
week

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
JSR was day-and-date, I expected them all to be. I don't think that's unreasonable.

It isn't. Fuck delays.

Got some numbers to back that up? I'm curious to see how JSR fared overall. I am pretty sure I saw it on the top 5 steam sellers on launch, and that is no small feat.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Now we need Crazy Taxi 1&2 HD (never played 2 but always wanted to.) And follow that up with a new Crazy Taxi 3.

3EV3D.png

Pranay

Look, I'm glad it's coming to PC at least. Thank you Sega for making that decision. But communicate the releases better, please.

Except on PC it has the potential to sell for years to come and not one
week

It does on consoles as well ie on PSN more then in retail

Great games always sell any time , any place any where :p

ezodagrom

Got some numbers to back that up? I'm curious to see how JSR fared overall. I am pretty sure I saw it on the top 5 steam sellers on launch, and that is no small feat.
It was in the top 10, 6th was the highest it reached. It was released on a friday, after a day it went down to below 10, then to below 20, below 50, to the 90s, and in the next monday or tuesday (don't remember exactly) it was already below 100.

vazel

Banned
I didn't want to wait for the PC version so I bought on PSN and I'm not too happy with this HD port. There's lots of jaggies and they didn't fix the pop-in.

Empty

sooo excited to play this game for the first time tomorrow, wanted to play it for a while but haven't been able to justify getting a saturn for it. i'm a big fan of when sega take advantage of their talent for both console and arcade games and fuse the design sensibilities into one game design (jsr, 2d sonic etc) and this seems along those lines.

scitek

It does on consoles as well ie on PSN more then in retail

Great games always sell any time , any place any where :p

Well, I meant more that a) console sales are really front-loaded and b) the next generation will likely start next year. Every PC built in the foreseeable future will likely be able to run the Steam version.

ShadiWulf

Any impressions about the PSN release?

from my experience it's great.

i got a friend who complained about slowdown, but i haven't bumped into any.

oh and that iizuka interview is really good, at the end of it he says “I look forward to the fans having a chance of meeting the real NiGHTS when they go to sleep”

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
from my experience it's great.

i got a friend who complained about slowdown, but i haven't bumped into any.

oh and that iizuka interview is really good, at the end of it he says “I look forward to the fans having a chance of meeting the real NiGHTS when they go to sleep”

Neat, thanks! :D

@MUWANdo

Banned
I heard TRiPPY from the NiGHTS fan community had something to do with testing the port so that it handles more like the Saturn original than the PS2 version--does anyone know anything about this?

Sydle

Buying this tomorrow. Excited.

anytime I can dream you are not far away
anytime any place I can see your face
you are that special one...

I heard TRiPPY from the NiGHTS fan community had something to do with testing the port so that it handles more like the Saturn original than the PS2 version--does anyone know anything about this?
I hadn't heard that, but if it's true, that'd be some impressive attention to detail. The PS2 version was apparently off in a few ways, so if they made it not off...

Bought. Have no idea what the heck is going on.
If you Game Over a couple of times, the game slowly explains its ruleset to you, but the gist is that you're on a closed loop track, and have to grab 20 CHiPS (blue spheres) and then fly into the track's Mare (the big sphere claw thing). Then you take the Ideya the Mare was holding (a brightly colored sphere - don't really worry too much about this one) into the Ideya Palace (the big blue building you start in), and you move to the next track. That is how the game is played.

That is not how the game is played well, however. To get a good score, you have to kill the Mare as fast as possible, and then go through the track as many times as the 120-second timer allows you to, trying to build up as many points as you can (ideally by doing chains of stuff, called "Links", which increase your score accordingly).

ezodagrom

Edward@Sega, one of SEGA's community managers, made a comment about the PC version of SA2 and NiGHTS in the SEGA blogs:

Hey everyone — just wanted to reply to some of what I saw in the comments here! I understand the sensitivity over release dates and that if you are waiting for a PC version, then you don’t want to feel short-changed. It has been previously announced that it is coming to PC — that’s not new. If you feel like that was a backhanded way to mention it, please accept my apologies. I meant it as a reminder.

First, ‘months’ is the language from the press release. The choice to add that we’re in luck was mine. I totally see why it was taken as a ‘you’re in luck you have to wait’ comment but it was meant more along the lines of ‘those of us who care about PC games can be happy knowing that it is on the way.’

It’s not meant as an exact figure — it doesn’t mean that it will take X or more months. It means the date is ‘to be announced’. That is literally all it means. I think in general, companies have to be cautious about release dates, especially if they estimate too early. I can’t say more because we don’t have more information to impart.

Second, my enthusiasm there is real. :) I am looking forward to playing it on PC. Given a choice it’s where I play most games. I am speaking 100% as a fan there — sometimes I get caught up in being able to write about games I am a genuine fan of. So when I say ‘you’re in luck’, it means that for multi-platform release PC games haven’t always gotten the best possible version. I’m happy to say that’s changing. This was not a guarantee in the past.

Obviously it would be best if everything released together, but that simply can’t always happen. Here’s why:

The extra time is not because we didn’t develop the PC version along with everything else. XBLA and PSN have a much more streamlined release structure — it’s part of what makes those platforms so appealing. ‘PC’ is not a single store, though — there are a lot of different moving parts and places that may sell a given game, be it Amazon or Steam or Origin or GOG or whatever. To make sure those line up takes a little longer, especially at a time of year when companies release a ton of games.

I hope that helps explain the comment — I know no one likes to wait. I can’t tell anyone they have to like waiting a little longer, but for now that’s what we have to do. These games and the fan communities for them mean a ton to me, so if there’s any questions or lingering doubts, please let me know, I’ll try to answer as best I can.
http://blogs.sega.com/2012/10/02/av...nture-2-and-nights-into-dreams/#comment-72206

It would be nice to play this again and discovery just how the hell you play it. I remember screwing with the game on a demo kiosk but I could never accomplish anything. It's been a long time though.

The extra time is not because we didn’t develop the PC version along with everything else. XBLA and PSN have a much more streamlined release structure — it’s part of what makes those platforms so appealing. ‘PC’ is not a single store, though — there are a lot of different moving parts and places that may sell a given game, be it Amazon or Steam or Origin or GOG or whatever. To make sure those line up takes a little longer, especially at a time of year when companies release a ton of games.
SEGA coming to GOG.com confirmed

ezodagrom

SEGA coming to GOG.com confirmed
He used GOG just as an example of a PC store, I kinda doubt these games will be released on GOG, since they require Steamworks and use Steam features like Steam leaderboards, they require the Steam client to run, which goes against the whole no DRM thing from GOG.

Top Bottom