• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS into Dreams HD |OT| Dreaming of snow, sparkles, and nightmares [Control patch]

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh shit, will be so nice to play without those grainy Saturn graphics... can't wait, the original is a favorite of mine! SEGA has been killing it on the downloadable services...

Conan-san

Ok, I totaly got my ass handed to me on a silver plater by Jackie. What sagely advice are you going to tell me to avoid his cards, video game?

"Get his cloak off him before you attack!"

Yes, thank you video game, oy vay. :/

Mike M

Nick N
Ok, I totaly got my ass handed to me on a silver plater by Jackie. What sagely advice are you going to tell me to avoid his cards, video game?

"Get his cloak off him before you attack!"

Yes, thank you video game, oy vay. :/

Jackle is pretty easy, as I recall. Boost just before the card impacts you, alternating between dodging high and low. Grab him, knock him out of his cloak, then grab him while he's trying to get back to it...

Been a while since I've played though.

Slygmous

Just finished all the main stuff, controls aren't THAT bad, great even, just not 100%.
I like the little surprise in Mystic Forest after finishing the story :) Didn't think this port would add anything new.

Halloween!

Haven't got all A's yet, I love making Mepians too much.

Mike M

Nick N
I had a Mepian collection in one of the first levels where there was a waterfall with a small cliff overhang. Somehow got some Nightopians in there, and it was the perfect position to shoot an enemy into their midst, where it would ricochet around and hit a whole gaggle of them. Then they would breed. I had so many under there that the game slowed to an f'in crawl everytime I passed that spot.

cRIPticon

NiGHTS is one of those games that, if experienced when it was first released, on it's original platform, it was unbelievable. As one other poster above stated, you "feel" the game. From the music to the story to the sense of flying (against other games of the time) it was a wholly unique, beautiful, and astonishing game. It (along with the PD series) defined the Saturn for me.

As well, the release of Christmas NiGHTS was such an extraordinary gesture for a video game company at the time. I still play that disk EVERY year (except for the next 3 1/2 years as my Saturn is touring with the Smithsonian exhibition). I may have to go purchase another Saturn just for the holidays.....

Oh, and yes. While I will purchase the game on the PS3, the PURITY of playing on the Saturn with the circle pad is just too much to ignore.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A-ranked every stage except Splash Garden on my first attempt. Still got it after all these years.

Is this only available to gold? I get an error when trying to purchase.
The Marketplace listing via the console was fucked up when I tried it. Had to pick it up from Xbox.com.

GrayFoxPL

It's definitely 8-way.

It's not. Hold the analog stick and very very slowly turn in by millimeter. The real problem is that 8 ways are "sticky" and with quick movements Nights position "snaps" to default 8 ways.

So did they actually bump the framerate to 60 fps?

I was pretty disappointed that the PS2 version was only 30 fps. The Saturn version used a strange technique in which the 2D background moved at 60 fps while the foreground ran at half that. This was not present in the PS2 version (in any mode).

I assume the game is locked at 30, though, and that's probably a timing issue like JSR. :\

60fps lol. I don't think it's even 30fps. Saturn mode runs smoother and it doesn't really look like real Saturn, it's hi res with smoothed textures. Pretty nice but way less colorful then hd version.

danwarb

I'd guess the control change was intended as an improvement to help you stay in a straight line. I remember it being difficult to hit all the stars/orbs in extended straight lines at first. Now it's more difficult to adjust for hoops, smooth curves replaced by zigzags. It's a real shame there's no option for original controls.
It's not. Hold the analog stick and very very slowly turn in by millimeter. The real problem is that 8 ways are "sticky" and with quick movements Nights position "snaps" to default 8 ways.
I figured that out. It's worst trying to adjust up or down slightly when flying horizontally, nothing happens.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Analog controls felt off to me too (didn't seem possible to attain max speed for some reason), but using a digital Saturn pad on this port feels the same as what I remember it being on the Saturn itself, so I'm going to stick with that I think.

NeoGIF

I see it in the 360 dashboard (through the A-Z selection) but I keep getting errors everytime I try to access it.

GrayFoxPL

Control patch would be nice. Maybe we should complain to sega?

I'd guess the control change was intended as an improvement to help you stay in a straight line. I remember it being difficult to hit all the stars/orbs in extended straight lines at first. Now it's more difficult to adjust for hoops, smooth curves replaced by zigzags. It's a real shame there's no option for original controls.
This is spot on.

Was the code for controlling Nights on the Saturn so complicated?

A-ranked every stage except Splash Garden on my first attempt. Still got it after all these years.

The Marketplace listing via the console was fucked up when I tried it. Had to pick it up from Xbox.com.

I keep forgetting that's even possible. Thanks, I'll try that now.

Edit: It worked! Thanks for the help!

GrayFoxPL

I think the benefit of the Saturn's controls is outweighed by the fact that it's the Sega Saturn.

ijivwBZz9EDfW.gif

meppi

Joking! It was a joke.

Phew. Crisis averted. I was about to have an aneurysm. 0_o

It's been a while since I've played the PS2 version, (I bought it, then went back to the Saturn version after playing it for a while, because of the changes) but I agree with you. I think I'd have noticed if the controls were like the HD version. I'll go hook up my PS2 this weekend and double check this.

The PS2 version's issues were that NiGHTS felt a little bit slower, and/or the time between links was a bit less forgiving, making the higher chains from the Saturn version much more difficult if not impossible. (for me) But to a new player, the PS2 version was fine.

If the HD version were nothing but the PS2 version in HD, that would be fine, but the controls are not nearly as smooth. That the controls are "broken" might sound hyperbolic, because the game is still completely playable. But NiGHTS is a game where the fluidity of control and looping is a critical component of that dreamy feeling of flying, and that part is broken in the HD version. The PS3 version, at least.

I know exactly what you mean about the fluidity in controls being critical to the game.

The XBLA version is the same way I'm afraid. :(

meppi

Well, to be fair, using a Saturn with a modern HDTV is going to produce very poor results and hurt the game more than any control issues with the HD version.

Strongly disagree there. At least on a decent plasma. On an LCD it can look quite nasty though.

Vibri

Banned
Seriously, the controls are fucked.

In the Saturn original (which I have here) I can 28-link the whole of Spring Valley loop 1 every single time, as I have for years, with silky precision.

In both versions included with the HD version, it's practically impossible thanks to the locked non-analogue control.

Sad they blew such an opportunity by lazily using the PS2-port gameplay code (right down the same unlock all cheat) which totally screwed the finesse of the original.

danwarb

Well, to be fair, using a Saturn with a modern HDTV is going to produce very poor results and hurt the game more than any control issues with the HD version.
I'd rather play the Saturn game again in spite of a blurry mess on screen. This snapping into up/down/left/right ruins it. It's playable, but not as good.

I'd rather play the Saturn game again in spite of a blurry mess on screen. This snapping into up/down/left/right ruins it. It's playable, but not as good.

Yeah, gotta say the more I play it the less I enjoy it. It's really frustrating--I try to line the character up to get a row of orbs and I can't make any minute adjustments or else he will completely change trajectory.

In the Saturn version, the fluid nature of the controls made you want to keep playing. This just makes me frustrated!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, it's that bad huh?

I haven't actually tried it, but I didn't realize it was that severe. I'll definitely download the demo and see.

Meier

I have actually never played Nights. I tried to buy a Saturn back in the day and won one on eBay but the guy said he tested it and it didn't work before sending it off so I never went through with getting one. I'll probably end up waiting til the Steam sale and buying this for PC later this year. Pretty excited to play it but just too much on my plate right now with FIFA and BL2.

Edit: Shame to hear about the apparent poorish controls but I won't mind as much if I get it for $5.

angelfly

Still waiting on MS to fix the listing so I can test the controls myself. Only the full game is listed on xbox.com.

So is everyone saying that the controls are stiff? Like NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams stiff? Or just a feeling like they are not as tight as the original?

So is everyone saying that the controls are stiff? Like NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams stiff? Or just a feeling like they are not as tight as the original?

XBLA version's still downloading for me by in my experience the PS2 version was definitely a little "Journey of Dreams stiff".

Someone will probably mod the PC version to work with those USB Saturn controllers. This game seems to have dedicated enough fans for that to happen.

Mike M

Nick N
Where's the damned demo, I need to see how bad these controls are and see if I can get past it. I haven't actually played NiGHTS in yeeeeeeears, so I may not have to overcome the muscle memory thing...

Well, I hope they attempt to patch it or something. Not that I couldn't tolerate JoD, but the controls did take away a bit from the experience as a whole.

Top Bottom