• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Niitsuma over cut and suggested characters in (Ultimate) Marvel vs Capcom 3

This interview accidentally explains why they basically said "lol fuck the community poll" when Ultimates final cast list was revealed.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
150 female characters and not a single one made the cut? LOL Capcom

Cool to hear Nina almost made the final cut (which suggests she has a good shot of getting into Infinite) but boo-urns at using BoF1 Nina instead of BoF2 Nina.

Eh, I wouldn't dare to think that way since the project is handled by different team but I would love to see BOF getting some love in fighting game.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It often feels like they made almost every wrong choice with MvsC3. I honestly consider it the worst of the series.

7Th

Ingrid's comment makes sense since this would be the fourth time time this happens to her. She was going to debut in Capcom Fighting Jam but that game got cancelled, she got cut from Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Capcom support for Street Fighter X Tekken ended before she got a chance to debut as DLC.

Ingrid's comment makes sense since this would be the fourth time time this happens to her. She was going to debut in Capcom Fighting Jam but that game got cancelled, she got cut from Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Capcom support for Street Fighter X Tekken ended before she got a chance to debut as DLC.

Capcom Fighting Jam for the PS2? That didn't get cancelled.

She was in that, then Alpha 3 on the PSP.

Capcom Fighting Jam for the PS2? That didn't get cancelled.

She was in that, then Alpha 3 on the PSP.

Initially, CFJ was supposed to be a 3D fighter and was going to showcase Ingrid as a new fighter. They scrapped that, and went the cheap route by copy-pasting characters from different games into the game that released.

man.... they said nothing about X, even though he was a lot of time at the top of polls for the character request....

I mentioned this; it's clear they already had ideas of who was going in and the poll was just to get people involved. That shit meant absolutely NOTHING and they knew it.

Neptonic

• Rocket Raccoon: We were actually consideirng Squirrel Girl at the time, but when he was brought up it turned out we had way more raccoon fans than squirrel fans at the office, so we went with him.
Damn it damn it damn it

I mentioned this; it's clear they already had ideas of who was going in and the poll was just to get people involved. That shit meant absolutely NOTHING and they knew it.

ho i know it meant nothing from the beginning, but it still makes me mad, haha...

But they could at least pretend to be aware of X and come with an excuse as why he didn't make the cut... but no, capcom doesn't even care about megaman anymore, and that's an other proof of it

Ryce

This interview accidentally explains why they basically said "lol fuck the community poll" when Ultimates final cast list was revealed.
The "community poll" was unauthorized by Capcom and created by an unpaid moderator on the Unity forums. It carried as much weight as any other fan survey.

The reason behind some of these female exclusions is odd...except Ingrid. Just lose her to the void, I don't care the reason. I also really want to hear that Doc Oct theme.

The polls can give Capcom/Marvel some ideas of what people want and which characters would make more money but they don't mean that the top spots would be added to the game.

Initially, CFJ was supposed to be a 3D fighter and was going to showcase Ingrid as a new fighter. They scrapped that, and went the cheap route by copy-pasting characters from different games into the game that released.

It did and didn't. There was a 3D version that got canned and salvaged into an awful 2D fighting game.

Oh, OK. I never knew that, I just remember that I played a game with her in it called Capcom Fighting Jam.

I only played it once or twice though. It was the one that was split up with Alpha, SF3, Darkstalkers, and that series with Hauzer, right?

I remember she was considered for Tatsunoko .vs Capcom too

28_tvcscan.jpg

Alongside Phoenix Wright, that weird girl from tatsunoko in the left corner, and the Ghost N' Goblin level you can see in the picture
IIRC, she wasn't actually considered for the roster, she was just used as a test model during development. (Note that the idle animation in the magnifying glass is actually Chun-Li's)

The list of Capcom characters scrapped from TvC is interesting, too:

1. Leon
2. Nash (Charlie)
3. Date Masamune
4. Arthur
5. Ibuki
6. M. Bison
7. Lei-Lei/Hsein-Ko (from Darkstalkers)
8. Zero Gouki (Cyberbots mecha… who acts like Gouki)
9. Tiara Hime (from Gaia Masters, another Japan only, obscure Capcom game)
10. Nero
11. June
12. Rouge
13. Tyrant
14. Hinata Wakaba

IIRC, Niitsuma later said that they specifically saved DMC, RE, GnG, and Darkstalkers newcomers for MvC3 which had also started development around the same time. And Batsu had apparently only just barely edged Hinata out to represent Rival Schools.

Oh, OK. I never knew that, I just remember that I played a game with her in it called Capcom Fighting Jam.

I only played it once or twice though. It was the one that was split up with Alpha, SF3, Darkstalkers, and that series with Hauzer, right?

Yup. The just grabbed characters from each of those series with little to no regard to balancing.

Heartwarming hearing there was that much Breath of Fire representation in the running. Horny 12 year old me would be really sad that Katt got pushed aside. Echoing plenty of people but Nina 1 is probably my least favorite Nina.

Apathy

I have no idea how rogue from power stone would be a problem for the rating. That sounds insane unless you're doing some DOA style boob physics

WarRock

Rouge is too much for the age rating because of her midriff and Trish isn't?

C'mon now, just admit the staff wanted to do something else with the character to justify that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
IIRC, she wasn't actually considered for the roster, she was just used as a test model during development. (Note that the idle animation in the magnifying glass is actually Chun-Li's)

The list of Capcom characters scrapped from TvC is interesting, too:

IIRC, Niitsuma later said that they specifically saved DMC, RE, GnG, and Darkstalkers newcomers for MvC3 which had also started development around the same time. And Batsu had apparently only just barely edged Hinata out to represent Rival Schools.

I'm still laughing at the Zero Gouki suggestion since in Cyberbots it's fucking fast that it'd make Gold Lightan and PTX so shit in comparison.

Y'all canceled Fou-Lu?! I would've mained him nonstop.

And multiple man could've been like naruto with shadow clone jutsu or something.

Now I'm just imagining the game that could've been.

J-Tier

I have no idea how rogue from power stone would be a problem for the rating. That sounds insane unless you're doing some DOA style boob physics

Rouge is too much for the age rating because of her midriff and Trish isn't?

C'mon now, just admit the staff wanted to do something else with the character to justify that.
You guys should look up her power change form.

WarRock

Yeah, I know, but, who outside of a very small audience in Japan played the arcade version? Make it a gold bikini and nobody would notice. X-23 is wearing a leather one without problems.

J-Tier

Yeah, I know, but, who outside of a very small audience in Japan played the arcade version? Make it a gold bikini and nobody would notice. X-23 is wearing a leather one without problems.
Because it's a cross over game, and Niitsuma wants to respect the original creator. I'm sure moving forward, they could simply move up her top, but when they've got hundreds of characters to go through as choices--any small thing is an easy excuse to weed characters out.

The reason for the lack of any incarnation of Mega Man is stupid as fuck

Hell, pretending like Mega Man.EXE doesn't have variety to him is crazy to me

Nezzhil

Demetri: Comes up every time, but I think you guys know why Demetri can't be added (lol)"
Seems that we'll only see the return of Demetri if Capcom do a Capcom All-Stars (
obviously a new Darkstalkers game has zero chances with the current Capcom
)

Top Bottom