• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Blog: JPN companies are cancelling all Vita titles for 3DS, Sony: Not true

Natsume came straight out and said poor hardware sales was why they delayed 3DS titles. Sega did the same with several 3DS titles.

I also imagine that a number of unannounced 3DS titles (most likely from Western publishers) were cancelled due to hardware sales, though I don't think any of the publicly known cancellations can be primarily attributed to that.

Maybe you should check the media crate thread. Dropping a cool 13K a week isn't rumors or speculation, it's the sales for the system. That's flat out atrocious, especially for a system that JUST launched, and nothing in the pipeline to salvage it.

I don't know who is running Sony now or who thought this business plan was a good idea, but it's not and you would have thought they've learned their lesson over and over again.

It is pretty concerning that a brand new platform would do sub 20k in Japan for as long as it has.

To put it in perspective,

1) The only week before the price-drop that 3DS sold worse here than Vita was the week before the price drop.
2) PSP has outsold Vita by ~30,000 units so far this year.

Nilaul

Monster Hunter
a Vita exclusive Final Fantasy

Nintendo realeases Monster hunter 4 when vita gets 3. When vita releases a exclusive final fantasy, nintendo relaeases pokemon for 3DS... and nobody would even remember that week in japan that final fantasy came out.

Ohh.. that would be such a d*** move by Nintendo.

I also imagine that a number of unannounced 3DS titles (most likely from Western publishers) were cancelled due to hardware sales, though I don't think any of the publicly known cancellations can be primarily attributed to that.

All of the public cancellations were pre-crisis mode, all of the delays afterwards, IIRC

It is pretty concerning that a brand new platform would do sub 20k in Japan for as long as it has.

To put it in perspective, the only week before the price-drop that 3DS sold worse here than Vita was the week before the price drop.

Not a totally fair comparison since 3ds had the field virtually to itself. Vita is out against a much cheaper same gen competitor.

Yoona

Banned
Nintendo realeases Monster hunter 4 when vita gets 3. When vita releases a exclusive final fantasy, nintendo relaeases pokemon for 3DS... and nobody would even remember that week in japan that final fantasy came out.

lol

DCharlie

Banned
True. We should wait for a more reliable industry source, like Nikkei Trendy or GameWave.

*shrug* or treat it for what it is - an unnamed third hand sourced statement with absolutely no named parties on it at all.

It's pretty clear battle lines have been drawn here and there's a theme between those who have bought into it and those that haven't.

This subject is going to be a complete black hole because there's absolutely nowhere for the discussion to go.

Neither of these will have that big of an impact anymore.

... jesus fuck.

TheNatural

My Member!

Final Fantasy isn't what it used to be, just look at the last one released. Any Monster Hunter game eventually for Vita could be after two were already released for 3DS.

The same conditions as to why the PSP at least survived and had some success aren't in effect anymore with 3DS vs. Vita. Without making some huge limitations, the DS could barely do games that had 3D environments. Sony capitalized because they were the default choice for a developer that did those types of games. Now there's no such advantage. There's no such advantage of having a major property exclusive to them either. They're on an island all alone with no help.

Next Pokemon mainline release will be in September.

Not a totally fair comparison since 3ds had the field virtually to itself. Vita is out against a much cheaper same gen competitor.

(I edited my post slightly) You're right. It's not entirely fair. Vita should still be doing better than it is though.

*shrug* or treat it for what it is - an unnamed third hand sourced statement with absolutely no named parties on it at all.

It's pretty clear battle lines have been drawn here and there's a theme between those who have bought into it and those that haven't.

This subject is going to be a complete black hole because there's absolutely nowhere for the discussion to go.
Well, not no named parties. Kiyoshi Shin put his name on the article and the sourcing, that's presumably what helps lend credibility.

fernoca

If it's like Monster Hunter on PSP, the one game that "changes things" will probably be a game that noone knows of; or is aware of.

Duxxy3

I hate posting this image but...

reggie_not_my_prbds1.jpg

frostbyte

Maybe you should check the media crate thread. Dropping a cool 13K a week isn't rumors or speculation, it's the sales for the system. That's flat out atrocious, especially for a system that JUST launched, and nothing in the pipeline to salvage it.

I don't know who is running Sony now or who thought this business plan was a good idea, but it's not and you would have thought they've learned their lesson over and over again.

Come on, the 3DS dropped quite a bit too after launch, with only ports (OOT3D and SF643D) in the pipeline for the next few weeks. I know the degree to which the 3DS dropped wasn't as serious as the Vita, iirc 18k vs 13k minimum respectively, but don't write off the Vita yet. The first year for the 3DS was pretty atrocious too until the MHTriG/MK7/3DLand combo. Wait until the first year + TGS to pass before passing judgement on the Vita.

tldr The 3DS was crap for the first year, the Vita is also crap for first year. Don't write off the Vita yet

TheNatural

My Member!
Come on, the 3DS dropped quite a bit too after launch, with only ports (OOT3D and SF643D) in the pipeline for the next few weeks. I know the degree to which the 3DS dropped wasn't as serious as the Vita, iirc 18k vs 13k minimum respectively, but don't write off the Vita yet. The first year for the 3DS was pretty atrocious too until the MHTriG/MK7/3DLand combo. Wait until the first year + TGS to pass before passing judgement on the Vita.

tldr The 3DS was crap for the first year, the Vita is also crap for first year. Don't write off the Vita yet

The first year for 3DS isn't even over yet and Nintendo knew it had the combo to save it ready for the holidays and they also had the leverage to make a price drop. Sony has neither. Anyone with common sense knew that Nintendo could dig out of that hole, just as anyone with common sense now knows barring some sort of miracle Sony cannot.

If it's like Monster Hunter on PSP, the one game that "changes things" will probably be a game that noone knows of; or is aware of.

It'd better be amazing if they want to compete with the 3DMario-2DMario-MarioKart-MonsterHunter-LovePlus-Pokemon machine.

Yoona

Banned

Vita doesn't have Mario rehashes to bail it out.

frostbyte

Exactly, the killer app could be anything. Perhaps FIFA for the EU launch or maybe some new IP that will emerge out of nowhere.

The first year for 3DS isn't even over yet and Nintendo knew it had the combo to save it ready for the holidays and they also had the leverage to make a price drop. Sony has neither. Anyone with common sense knew that Nintendo could dig out of that hole, just as anyone with common sense now knows barring some sort of miracle Sony cannot.

I'm just saying wait before making judgement on the Vita. And I agree. Personally, Nintendo always will be have successful handhelds because of Pokemon. They've got a hold on plenty of people's balls, mine included.

It'd better be amazing if they want to compete with the 3DMario-2DMario-MarioKart-MonsterHunter-LovePlus-Pokemon machine.

Can't deny that.

prwxv3

I still think we need to wait a bit more. All the 3rd party "exclusive" games the gamecube and 360 got sure did not help.

TheNatural

My Member!
Exactly, the killer app could be anything. Perhaps FIFA for the EU launch or maybe some new IP that will emerge out of nowhere.

I'm just saying wait before making judgement on the Vita. And I agree. Personally, Nintendo always will be have successful handhelds because of Pokemon. They've got a hold on plenty of people's balls, mine included.

Can't deny that.

I don't have to wait, I already know what's going to happen. If Sony wants to big relevant again in a big way, they're going to have to stop acting like it's the year 2000 and they dictate the marketplace because they put out a high end electronics product that can do everything. Things have changed.

Um, is it just me, or does Sony's rebuttal read more like a damn confirmation? There's a lot of weaselly language he's using. I feel like every statement has a redacted "yeah, but...." at the beginning.

guek

Banned
And I agree. Personally, Nintendo always will be have successful handhelds because of Pokemon. They've got a hold on plenty of people's balls, mine included.

I knew from the moment DS successor rumors began popping up that I'd be picking one up sooner or later for pokemon. Is that a bit sad? A grown man in his mid 20s, a slave to pocket monsters.

TheNatural

My Member!
I knew from the moment DS successor rumors began popping up that I'd be picking one up sooner or later for pokemon. Is that a bit sad? A grown man in his mid 20s, a slave to pocket monsters.

Well the way you worded that ... you're not too far off from every red blooded male. :p

It goes to the highest userbase, which happens to be Nintendo systems, at the moment. Nintendo is doing a lot to try to promote it outside of Japan, though. Same with Monster Hunter.
ha, yes; I have heard this before; I don't see a sony, or any other Platform bar maybe GREE, having larger installed based than a Nintendo system in Japan in mid-term future.

Vita's tragic situation was that it has not a single probable game outside MH that could save it; and now even that single saviour is gone. And the rest of the games, are either Nintendo 1st 2nd party, or already with a wide enough installed base to safely switch to 3DS with its larger installed based.

Arklite

I don't have to wait, I already know what's going to happen. If Sony wants to big relevant again in a big way, they're going to have to stop acting like it's the year 2000 and they dictate the marketplace because they put out a high end electronics product that can do everything. Things have changed.

Charging the same amount as the 3DS launch shows they aren't trying to dictate prices. Going to $200 wouldn't be doing them any favors, they would still be at a higher price than the competition and taking a bigger hit. They have the better hardware and a decent line up. The word of mouth and broad hype is what they're missing, but what you can prove to consumers is limited when the platform is only months old.

TheNatural

My Member!
Charging the same amount as the 3DS launch shows they aren't trying to dictate prices. Going to $200 wouldn't be doing them any favors, they would still be at a higher price than the competition and taking a bigger hit. They have the better hardware and a decent line up. The word of mouth and broad hype is what they're missing, but what you can prove to consumers is limited when the platform is only months old.

Well that's kind of the point. They made their business plan around putting all this expensive shit into the system, a lot of which is completely unnecessary to what they need to succeed at least, and then if they can't cut the price when it goes bad - then tough shit. It's too late. They made the fucked up business plan, so one way or the other, price cut or no price cut, they're going to lose money.

This isn't about better hardware and a "decent" lineup. It's not like someone just accidentally gets lucky into selling a product, it happens for a reason, and Sony has none of those reasons. It's just the end result of a lot of bad planning like a lot of what they do.

As someone who's going to spend much of my free time this year scouring 2ch for corocoro scans, I feel I'm in the same boat.

Top Bottom