• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 vs. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.. A big deal? Why is NGS2 hated?

TylerD

NGS2 is far and away better than NG2... since I had a PS3 and no XBOX360 and I loved the shit out of it. One of my most played games during that generation.

StuBurns

Banned
I think some mix of the two would be stronger than either. The back half of Sigma 2 is ass, difficulty is fucked, but the first half I prefer to the original.

Peltz

As much as I loved the original OG Xbox Ninja Gaiden, I couldn't get into NG2. I only got 5 chapters in (or so) but I missed that light "Metroidvania" level design aspect that the first game had. Even though it was linear and mission based, it was cool to see a nice interconnected aspect to of all the levels in that original game.

Plus, it really pushed the OG Xbox in ways that no other games did. Team Ninja was beyond capable and polished to the smallest of details when they were at the height of their powers.

But in today's landscape, especially with the rise of Platinum Games (and considering Team Ninja's recent offerings), it's just hard to care about their games as much. I will give Metroid Other M a fair chance some day (and I won't unfairly pit it against other Metroid games). But NG2, NG3, and (imo) DOA5 really don't hold up as well as DOA 1-4 and NG1.

There just seems to be something missing from their games post-DOA4.

UrbanRats

Oops, my apologies, brother. Hehehehe...

(Damn, I am so silly) -_-
Lol, i missed a *cannot in there.

I think some mix of the two would be stronger than either. The back half of Sigma 2 is ass, difficulty is fucked, but the first half I prefer to the original.

The best thing i found in Sigma 2 was anything involving the bow, personally.
Having to manually aim in a fast paced game like NG is just shit.
Having auto aim in 3rd person is better, especially for a boss like the second to last one.

Paracelsus

NGS2 with the damage input/output of NG2 would be perfect, projectiles were cheap and actually stuff to review as a negative.

Watch this in full, with the captions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDAiYc_sy8A

Game over. That's it. Wrap the thread up. You're welcome.

The enemy hit points are different, the enemy placement is different, the blood is different, the bow ability to absorb souls is different, some entire levels and bosses are straight up deleted in Sigma 2.

If you care enough to make this thread, watch this video in full. You will know exactly why Ninja Gaiden 2 (360) is the definitive version. It's not even close.

That said, Sigma 2 is still fun, and I got it on PS3 and Vita. I enjoyed the extra content. But at no point in time does it replace the true Ninja Gaiden 2. Never.

The entire premise of adding stylistic finishing moves to rapidly take out enemies is because you have large numbers of enemies. The entire difficulty of enemies that have limbs missing being more dangerous is because they can hide in crowds. Even just one simple change, the number of enemies on screen, can fully, and completely, and irreversibly damage the entire point and pacing of the game as it was originally intended.

And I thought that sigma 2 would be better since it had "more" content.

That is a HUGE downgrade.

After seeing sigma 2, I understand why NG3 was so bad.

Eolz

Level with me GAF, how does NG2 compare to Bayonetta and DMC3? Harder than DMC3 I assume? Just as good? Better?
In terms of difficulty, at the higher level, I'd say DMC3 > NG2 > Bayo.
It's not as good imo, but NG Black certainly is at the same level if not better on some levels depending on tastes.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Level with me GAF, how does NG2 compare to Bayonetta and DMC3? Harder than DMC3 I assume? Just as good? Better?

I would say that NG2 is harder than DMC3, but that could also just be because I'm more comfortable with DMC3. Bayonetta is easier than both.

NG2 is an incomplete game. People revel in its gameplay, but recognize its shortcomings as a complete title and questionable design choices... it's almost like DMC4 in that regard. DMC3 is most assuredly a better game.

The better comparison would be Ninja Gaiden Black vs. Devil May Cry 3: SE. And that would come down to personal preference in styles.

Hmm thanks for the impressions. I never played Gaiden Black and cannot because I use a third party hard drive (fuck Microsoft's prices) in my 360. I might just get Gaiden II because this sale has been mostly bad.

TunaUppercut

Neo Member

Ninja Gaiden 2 is more difficult than Devil May Cry 3 and Bayonetta. Personally I think its quite a bit more difficult.

Weapon variety is nice. 8 melee weapons 5 projectiles and 5 ninpo. The downside however is no real time weapon switching.

Combat is very satisfying and intense. This is partially due to having the best hit reactions in the genre. Along with strong animation in general.

The enemies actually react to being hit with weapons having their arms legs heads etc being chopped off. This is only after a few hits usually one to five.

Regular enemies are far more aggressive and challenging than DMC 3s and Bayonettas. However Projectile spamming enemies and throw heavy enemies are cheap.

Camera is honestly pretty bad. The fact that the enemies are so aggressive and attack you off screen makes the camera even worse. Bayonetta's camera is definitely better.

Level Design is very straight forward. I personally don't think the level design in Bayonetta, DMC 3 and NG2 is good. To me they are about on the same level. All of them have a few levels that are terrible.

High level play on master ninja results in you using your safest moves along with Obliteration techniques, and Ultimate Techniques to avoid being killed

The game is very quick in terms of pacing. You have to constantly move on the higher difficulty levels or your dead.

Ninja Gaiden 2 has probably the highest level of tension I've experienced in an action game.

Bosses are definitely worse than the bosses in DMC 3 and Bayonetta. There are a few bullshit moments with some of the bosses.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is worse than DMC 3 and Bayonetta in some things and better in others.

SkylineRKR

I was thrilled when Sigma 2 was announced as I had no 360 anymore but Sigma 2 turned out to be shit. Its basically NG2 into some sort of a Sigma 1 shell.

NG2 was raw and suffered some development issues, but its still the game envisioned by Itagaki. The main problem with Sigma 2 is that the levels were not built for the Sigma 1 approach. It feels disjointed and some levels are largely ghost towns. The NG2 gameplay was based around crowd control and a lot of those thrills are gone because the enemies have been greatly reduced. Another defining feature of NG2 was OT and without gore it just doesn't really deliver. There are other issues and way too obvious cop outs to boast a native 720p resolution and higher framerate.

It would be great if OG NG2 got a remaster treatment. Locked 60fps, 1080p... yeah.

I would like to chip in & say the online co-op stages in Sigma 2 were the most bullshit designed shit ever made.

Even the very best Ninja Gaiden players had to resort to cheating to be able to pass some of them.
I think it was proven that the co-op stages were never tested, just slapped together at the last minute & thron out the door, as it was physically impossible to complete some of them with an a.i. partner.

ngs2 is just really sad because it seems like they gave hayashi the time and money to basically make a "black version" of ng2 but because he is completely incompetent the result is just a much worse version of ng2

everything added to the sigma games is pretty much always bad - and ninja gaiden 3/RE shows what happens when you give that direction to a full game. truly wretched stuff.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thanks for this!

Although I've heard the digital version runs much worse then disc version - can anyone confirm?

Any answer for this? I know Bayonetta has stutters when installed so I can believe this happening. (I already bought NG2 off XBL.)

During the release of sigma 2, from what I recall in threads, any suggestion that the 360 version was superior the outcome wouldn't be good for you.

Yup, I happened to be on GameFaqs when Sigma 2 came out. Man the hatred people had for people pointing out the difference...

Glad to see the public opinion on this changed though. I love Ninja Gaiden 2, despite its balancing issues...

360pages

NGS2 is far and away better than NG2... since I had a PS3 and no XBOX360 and I loved the shit out of it. One of my most played games during that generation.

How can you say that without playing both though? They are very different games, to the point the only thing they have similar is the areas and story, from the enemy layout to the damage you receive everything.

and form your own opinion.

one side loves to mention the reduced enemy count in sigma2. they rarely mention the additions like new playable characters, new character models, new enemies, better graphics and far better sound etc.

they also removed some heavily hated sections from the game and reduced off screen attacks considerably, so that's that. i'm aware sigma2 has its own problems. i seriously despised all those one-hit-kill grabs i had to suffer on master ninja.

people also have to consider that NG was heavily promoted on one platform. that's why you will notice one side will outnumber the other.

360pages

and form your own opinion.

one side loves to mention the reduced enemy count in sigma2. they rarely mention the additions like new playable characters, new character models, new enemies, better graphics and far better sound etc.

they also removed some heavily hated sections from the game and reduced off screen attacks considerably, so that's that. i'm aware sigma2 has its own problems. i seriously despised all those one-hit-kill grabs i had to suffer on master ninja.

people also have to consider that NG was heavily promoted on one platform. that's why you will notice one side will outnumber the other.

The new characters were really bad, like they actually played worse then when they were in NG3RE, that was how fun they were. Also they really should have been extra, rather than three mandatory mission. I also hated that with Ayane in RE,

And while they fixed a lot of bosses and removed the others, they also added the awful giant bosses that someone thought was a good idea to add and break the pacing.

Also, I prefer new game plus rather than chapter challenge.

Top Bottom