• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II Impressions + Itagaki Insanity

Darkpen

Banned
beerbelly said:
Same. Sigma looks to have higher poly models and better lighting, judging from its screenshots. But I guess NGII's characters may or may not have slighly lower polygons because of its interactive limbs. Can anyone confirm whether you can slice off limbs to any degree or is it pre-determined cuts?
I think its predetermined. I've yet to see someone get sliced diagonally.

kbear

Y2Kev said:
The kind that makes me nervous that the game won't get through the ESRB.
Conan go through it... and it has the worst level of gore I've ever seen in a game. Definitely as bad, if not worse, than NG2. But Conan is played from a farther view so that could be different

Mine! Maybe not day one though. Still haven't had chance to finish Sigma yet. Although I beat the game on Xbox. I found it rather easy in normal difficulty. Beat the Emperor on my 1st try.

WrikaWrek

Banned
emag_ninjagaiden2_xbox360_012508_2_03e92.jpg

zivhmv.gif

beerbelly said:
Same. Sigma looks to have higher poly models and better lighting, judging from its screenshots. But I guess NGII's characters may or may not have slighly lower polygons because of its interactive limbs.

No it doesn't.

soco

it's still so odd that the environments are so clean and bright, yet there's so much blood consistently spewing.

i wish they'd add some dirt and shadows somewhere.

otherwise sounds nice, count me in for the easy level.

BojTrek

Banned
I cannot wait for this game, it is a Day 1 purchase... Ninja Gaiden was my favorite game experience on the X-Box.

Is there an approximate release date yet?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
One of the dudes who had lost an arm rushed Ryu and tackled him to the ground. Then, with his gaping wound still squirting blood, he attempted to drive a sword through Ryu's neck with his one remaining hand.

In response, Itagaki did what any good ninja would do. He threw a giant fireball that blew the one-armed bandit across the stage and left his corpse in flames.

oh my god so awesome

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Great preview there, thanks...

"Path of The Acolyte", huh? Looks like Itagaki had mercy on the pansies out there and changed the name from Ninja Dog to that - you guys out there should be grateful... :lol

And I'm glad to see that the lighting is showing now in the pics as expected... especially love all of the lamps in the second pic...

And of course, all of the blood and gore! :D

QVT said:
oh my god so awesome

At one point, I try to make fun of how easy everything is on acolyte difficulty, by pointing out how slowly the enemy ninja is advancing toward him. He corrects me, noting that "actually, that ninja was missing an arm, so he was in a lot of pain."

So awesome.

Baker

Banned
shacknews article said:
Shack: What about when the content is on the disc but can only be accessed through an Xbox Live purchase, not through regular gameplay?

Tomonobu Itagaki: That's worse. That's awful. Games like that should cease to exist from this planet. Are there games like that?

I lolled.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm still with, He should make an achievement called Ninja ***** and say its for those who complete the game on Ninja Dog mode and make it worth 1 point to mess with achievement whores:lol

Anyways, This and DMC4 for the first half of this year...Just *drools* I love joo 360 lol.
Prototype comes out later this year too!!! *giggles*

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Thanks for the Shacknews link BuddyC - you're one lucky SOB to see it in person though!

And thanks for the new snippet of footage too - the new flame effects look gorgeous...

Looking forward to this game so much more than ever especially after the lacking DMC4 demo...

maskrider

BuddyC said:
I think regeneration is just for The Path of the Acolyte, which is the easiest difficulty level.

In case anyone cares (and doesn't mind my posting), I also got to see the game and chat with Itagaki. I even came away with some exclusive gameplay footage!

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50981

It might be the first time that I agree with him on a few of his answers, especially on the exclusive content for different platforms of a game and the buy code to unlock something that are already on the game disc.

And BTW, I think NG2 looks better than sigma at least on animations and details, at least on par graphics-wise.

Let's wait and see if this will be the game that sells me a 360 and a live subscription (for DLC).

JavaMava said:
aww man that screen shot looks awesome. The severed limbs are so delicious.... also I bet Ninja Gaiden doesn't cry.
Ryu should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Doodis

BuddyC said:
I think regeneration is just for The Path of the Acolyte, which is the easiest difficulty level.

From TeamXbox Q&A:

"One thing that you should be aware of is that the percentage of damage that’s permanent and that can be regenerated will be different on each difficulty."

Linkie

Onions

(cassius clay preaching voice) it shall be mine, before 2009

srsly, i cannot wait so play this! ng black was/is awesome, but ng2 (=4) is so much faster and has that little gore thingy going on, which makes me smile with every screenshot i see.

+
saved films?! watching myself izunadropping the shit(=brain) out of rocketlawnchair-wielding ninjas or chopping limbs off purple dinosaurs sounds freakin hot!

:bow itagaki

BuddyC

Doodis said:
From TeamXbox Q&A:

"One thing that you should be aware of is that the percentage of damage that’s permanent and that can be regenerated will be different on each difficulty."

Linkie
Interesting!

ShinAmano

Skilletor said:
I believe he's saying that since DoA1 borrowed heavily from VF at the time, if VF ceased to exist, so would DoA.
I believe that itagaki was actually an apprentice to the creator of Virtua Fighter...

MCD

@BuddyC

when you were shown the gameplay footage, did Itagaki had to beat all enemies to proceed or was there a chance to escape?

what i mean by this question is, do you have to beat all enemies to proceed or is it a choice? talking about regular enemies here, not bosses of course.

iirc, this was a new feature in NG2 and i am surprised no one noticed/questioned itagaki about it much.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Game is 60% complete, cutcenes are real real time. That means, alternate costumes will be reflected in the cutcenes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's how you do alternate costumes. Not like other games where you let the player choose a costume that then isn't shown in the cutcenes, breaking the whole point.

InterMoniker said:
I'd love to hear Itagaki's response to those statements :lol

Of course you would :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Looks so hot. I still shake my head at people asking for a "realistic" look from this game though. Go bother Sega for a retro Shinobi remake or something.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
clashfan said:
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/17273

New or old?

I'm impressed by the animation but the lighting still looks a little flat.

Definitely new - we've never seen this part of the Sky City Tokyo before, and it looks so damn good...

But yes, with some things in this vid as well as in the Shacknews vid, it is clearly still early...

InterMoniker said:
I'd love to hear Itagaki's response to those statements :lol

As if theirs or yours matter... :lol

And oh yes, everyone's blowing their Ninja Gaiden 2 load - today's a glorious day!

ShinAmano said:
I believe that itagaki was actually an apprentice to the creator of Virtua Fighter...
I believe that you are 100% wrong.

EDIT: I just watched both GameVideos' and IGN's videos. It's looking better! You can charge projectile attacks now. There's some slowdown and stuff, but I have faith that Team Ninja can deliver and then some.

jarrod

Banned
If DOA's the point for comparison though, then NG2-3 would've only been slightly worse looking than NG4 anyway. :p

WrikaWrek

Banned
Testicular Sound Express said:
im all for M-Rated games, but I think the gore in this game is sort of a turn off.

Normally swords to this ya know? They cut.

Got watch some samurai movies and anime. Yeah, swords make a bloody mess out of things.

Skilletor

McDragon said:
@BuddyC

when you were shown the gameplay footage, did Itagaki had to beat all enemies to proceed or was there a chance to escape?

what i mean by this question is, do you have to beat all enemies to proceed or is it a choice? talking about regular enemies here, not bosses of course.

iirc, this was a new feature in NG2 and i am surprised no one noticed/questioned itagaki about it much.

I doubt that he would run away when he's attempting to show off the battle system and animations.

Top Bottom