• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II Impressions + Itagaki Insanity

Lord Phol

He really isn't that cool.. at all. :7
The game might be good fun and all but come on, ninja gaiden 4? :p
lay off the sake Mr. Itagaki. :p

Dahbomb

Aside from the "NG1 to NG4" comments, this is a solid interview. It will always be day 1 for me.

But I still don't agree with not having OTF weapon switch. He posted the example of hitting with a fast weapon then switching to a bigger weapon to finish off the enemy and I just kept thinking how cool that would be. Obviously for such a mechanic you would have to implement the enemy AI to react to changes or just have built in defenses. Sounds like Itagaki is too lazy to implement it.

Oh and UT for ranged weapons? Finally some extra usability to the previous near useless long ranged weapons.

SPEA

Dahbomb said:
Aside from the "NG1 to NG4" comments, this is a solid interview. It will always be day 1 for me.

But I still don't agree with not having OTF weapon switch. He posted the example of hitting with a fast weapon then switching to a bigger weapon to finish off the enemy and I just kept thinking how cool that would be. Obviously for such a mechanic you would have to implement the enemy AI to react to changes or just have built in defenses. Sounds like Itagaki is too lazy to implement it.

Oh and UT for ranged weapons? Finally some extra usability to the previous near useless long ranged weapons.
Yup that must be it. He's just too lazy.

Dahbomb said:

so the switch should cancel recovery time, effectively turning the game into ninjas may cry?

Dahbomb said:

tcruise4.jpg

You're glib.

segarr

Is dmc4 even going to have real time weapon change for half the game? Afaik, Nero only has one weapon not counting his DT. I feel too much pressure is being put on this game too. This is just like a niche game to me for the fans to enjoy like the KUF series and I think people are trying to build it up so they can watch it fall harder.

Dahbomb said:

Stick with Devil May Cry then. Last time I checked Ninja Gaiden isn't DMC. I swear you DMC fanboys are nothing but hypocrites.

DMC Fanboy reaction if NG uses something remotely similar to DMC

OMG NG stole something that is similar to DMC

DMC Fanboy when NG doesn't use something they like in DMC

Man I wish NG used this and that from DMC

Make up your fucking minds you idiots. You accuse TN for using stuff from DMC and yet you bash them for not using this.

Dahbomb is the main culprit here also.

I would hope NGII has enough awesome qualities to it that it can be judged with any outside comparisons.

This is being directed to "NG fanboys as well." Talk about NGII, don't be surprised if DMC "fanboys" come in and post if you call them out.

Basically learn to post like this guy:

a Master Ninja said:
Some quick thoughts:

-Itagaki continues to tell it like it is in regards to pay-for-content already on the disc and splitting up Yoda and Darth in SCIV.

-The zoomed-in view for the bow seems like it will greatly improve usability (I hated using the bow in NG). Ultimate Techniques for ranged weapons has a lot of potential. Hell, can you do it with your default shurikens?

-Don't think anybody mentioned it yet, but it appears that Flaming Skulls have replaced the Golden Scarabs. Hopefully the look badass and unlock cool shit.

-Saved films? MAKE IT HAPPEN TEAM NINJA. The ability to take screenshots would be pretty awesome as well. They have the technology.

-Dibs on making the Official Release Thread. :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
puebla said:
damn that looks awesome. the part at the end where he finishes the crawling ninja is beautiful.
Meh. Seriously I'll never understand how the PR people can let such a bad movie be released. You get to see Ruy's lower half clipped through a wall side of a wall during 7 or 8 seconds!
Even if that was acceptable in a game by itself (and it may be fixed in the final release), how difficult would it be to record the scene again or just show something else?
That just blows my mind how incompetent these guys can be at times.

puebla

Blimblim said:
Meh. Seriously I'll never understand how the PR people can let such a bad movie be released. You get to see Ruy's lower half clipped through a wall side of a wall during 7 or 8 seconds!
Even if that was acceptable in a game by itself (and it may be fixed in the final release), how difficult would it be to record the scene again or just show something else?
That just blows my mind how incompetent these guys can be at times.
yeah, i feel you. now that i watched it for a 2nd time it kinda bothered me too, but the end makes up for it. :lol btw you're vid is cutting off a couple of seconds earlier for me now. (streaming)

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
sp0rsk said:
I smell the stench of viral marketing in this thread.

Well start using either the ban stick / ban hammer! :D

On topic this game will turn out awesome as people have stated we can at least trust Team Ninja on the Ninja Gaiden series so have faith unless the bust out with DOAXBV X2 type stuff.

Prince8

Banned
RiZ III said:
I still think Sigma looks better visually than NG2 >_> but still day fucking 1.
The only thing about Sigma that you could consider better looking is the beginning with all the trees and lovely leaves. Still, you could consider it, not saying it is.
slade said:
That's the lamest justification for non weapon switching I've ever heard. It even trumps his old excuse of Xbox not having enough RAM so they couldn't put active weapon switching in.
:lol

What Itagaki says is absolutely true. If you would use that kind of weapon switching, it would become like Devil May Cry combat, and that's one thing I don't want in Ninja Gaiden.
a Master Ninja said:
Some quick thoughts:

-Itagaki continues to tell it like it is in regards to pay-for-content already on the disc and splitting up Yoda and Darth in SCIV.

-The zoomed-in view for the bow seems like it will greatly improve usability (I hated using the bow in NG). Ultimate Techniques for ranged weapons has a lot of potential. Hell, can you do it with your default shurikens?

-Don't think anybody mentioned it yet, but it appears that Flaming Skulls have replaced the Golden Scarabs. Hopefully the look badass and unlock cool shit.

-Saved films? MAKE IT HAPPEN TEAM NINJA. The ability to take screenshots would be pretty awesome as well. They have the technology.

-Dibs on making the Official Release Thread. :D
Yeah I want to be able unlock more stuff. And this time, it would be nice to not having to continue with the same game (and same difficulty) after beating the game to be able to get stuff like the Dark Dragon Blade (which was only powerful with charged attacks :/)

Saved films would be awesome, imagine being able to share your awesome boss fights :D
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Why were those guys waiting for Ryu to attack? Hope this has to do with the easy difficulty level or I must've missed something.
snoopers said:
GSY mirror of the GV gameplay video:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5844.html

Sorry for the bad encoding, we'll update the news as soon as we find a better file.
Awesome!
Nice another Ninpo attack. I hope they solve those graphical glitches though

Dahbomb

The Faceless Master said:
so the switch should cancel recovery time, effectively turning the game into ninjas may cry?
You can already cancel recovery time of weapons with attempting to pull out Shurikens, rolling or blocking. His analogy ignored the other canceling mechanics in NG already put into place. Not every move obviously but a lot can be.

You know DMC isn't the only action game with OTF weapon switch. Ryu has access to all his weapons at once but you have to pause the screen to switch weapons. It takes you out of the action. I am not saying NG has to be like DMC where you can cancel out recovery times but it needs something so that the reviewers won't mark it down for having a feature that was made standard LAST GEN. Just watch last week's 1up Yours, Shane and Bryan went down on NG2 substantially. It's a premonition of things to come.

If NG2 actually had OTF weapon switch, the fans would be dancing in jubilation. I don't recall anyone worrying about "omfg recovery issues" in GOW2 when it implemented OTF weapon swap.

I believe that if you start a fight with said weapon you should finish it with said weapon, unless you can run or get some breaving time to change.

If I was swapping between weapons constantly to keep up a combo it would piss me off, you should use a weapon you know how to control.

Dahbomb said:
You can already cancel recovery time of weapons with attempting to pull out Shurikens, rolling or blocking. His analogy ignored the other canceling mechanics in NG already put into place. Not every move obviously but a lot can be.

You know DMC isn't the only action game with OTF weapon switch. Ryu has access to all his weapons at once but you have to pause the screen to switch weapons. It takes you out of the action. I am not saying NG has to be like DMC where you can cancel out recovery times but it needs something so that the reviewers won't mark it down for having a feature that was made standard LAST GEN.

Pointless gibberish

Just watch last week's 1up Yours, Shane and Bryan went down on NG2 substantially. It's a premonition of things to come.

2 Sony ball licking DMC fanboy bashing Ninja Gaiden? Use a better example.

If NG2 actually had OTF weapon switch, the fans would be dancing in jubilation.

And you hypocrite idiotic DMC fanboys would be saying "OMG, Z Ninja Gaiden bitezz off da DMC"

I don't recall anyone worrying about "omfg recovery issues" in GOW2 when it implemented OTF weapon swap.

And I don't recall anyone giving a shit about God of War 2 combat either.

Diablohead said:
I believe that if you start a fight with said weapon you should finish it with said weapon, unless you can run or get some breaving time to change.

If I was swapping between weapons constantly to keep up a combo it would piss me off, you should use a weapon you know how to control.

Get the fuck out of here with that logic bullshit.

j/king

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
sp0rsk said:
I smell the stench of viral marketing in this thread.

What are you talking about? I think it's obvious that Itagaki's NG II will continue to define the action genre. The game will prove that Team Ninja is among an elite group of developers and a key partner for Microsoft. NG II's enhanced graphics, silky-smooth framerate, and non-stop action will provide an unrivaled action experience.

Lastly, games like NG II firmly demonstrate that the 360 will continue to be the console to own in 2008. With games like Too Human, Fable 2, Alan Wake, and exclusive downloadable chapters for GTAIV, the 360 will extend its lead into 2008. Also, just so you know, Microsoft has some amazing announcements coming up at GDC '08. Keep an eye out and your hands firmly on your controller!

Dahbomb

Diablohead said:

Well first of all, you can always switch as long as your feet are planted meaning you can cycle through your entire weapon list during a battle especially since the action pauses. And second of all, being able to switch while the action is going on will cause players to want to learn to play different weapons rather than just stick with the DS. And weapon switch is optional, you aren't REQUIRED to switch.

But yeah, I see this going nowhere. Most people here will not accept any reason to this and this feature will simply not be implemented. I will not argue this anymore.

GameGamer

RSTEIN said:
What are you talking about? I think it's obvious that Itagaki's NG II will continue to define the action genre. The game will prove that Team Ninja is among an elite group of developers and a key partner for Microsoft. NG II's enhanced graphics, silky-smooth framerate, and non-stop action will provide an unrivaled action experience.

Lastly, games like NG II firmly demonstrate that the 360 will continue to be the console to own in 2008. With games like Too Human, Fable 2, Alan Wake, and exclusive downloadable chapters for GTAIV, the 360 will extend its lead into 2008. Also, just so you know, Microsoft has some amazing announcements coming up at GDC '08. Keep an eye out and your hands firmly on your controller!

Wow! That sounds great!

At what stores could I purchase such a great product?

I'll tell all my friends to buy a copy too! Even grandma!

Being a consumer builds confidence and strength!

Excelsior!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Seriously guys, why do you guys think real-time weapon switching should be a standard for NG2? Again, you don't have the time to do so, it's not that type of game, and how would you even properly handle it, if you couldn't even go directly to the weapon you wish to switch to - the game looks to have at least six weapons already...

I'm not trying to knock DMC, but it really has no place in Ninja Gaiden...

RSTEIN said:

I don't know who the hell sp0rsk was talking about, but that post was a great laugh - thanks!

And yeah, I picked up on the flaming skulls yesterday, but I forgot to mention them - looks like they're the new Golden Scarabs this time around, and while I'm sure they'll help you unlock weapons and items, I wonder what you'll get for finding them all this time around... hmmmmm...

Dark FaZe said:
Wait a second, no Dabilahro?

1047354948_zpicsgutts.jpg

Does not approve :lol. Also I'm interested in just how the dodge roll will be replaced with the dash. The dodge roll was a very helpful move, and I could see dash being limiting in a way in comparison.
Watch this.

It'll show you how much better the dash is, compared to the roll.

Is it just me or don't fighter genre fans seem to be more territorial when it comes to "their" game then other genres?

Other genres fans seem to be more happy the more games in their genre there are... Could it be because you have to invest more time in fighter games to get good? Other genres skills seem to translate better to other games in the genre. (fps for example)

Nolan.

PuppetSlave said:
Is it just me or don't fighter genre fans seem to be more territorial when it comes to "their" game then other genres?

Other genres fans seem to be more happy the more games in their genre there are... Could it be because you have to invest more time in fighter games to get good? Other genres skills seem to translate better to other games in the genre. (fps for example)

Fighter genre fans are probably just angry people who hate everything and find every minute detail to complain about.

Dahbomb said:
This is true, but the usage is not nearly as ubiquitous as it is in DMC and is a small part of the strategy of the game. Also, cancelling via shurikens and dodgeing introduces quite a bit of risk as you're not well defended at all while your using shurikens. This pretty much only makes it useful for fighting a single guy. If you were able to go willy nilly with all the weapons available to ryu you can't sit here and tell me it wouldn't radically change the way you approach fighting in the game. Some people just don't want that change...DMC does it well enough, we don't need NGII to copy it.
You know DMC isn't the only action game with OTF weapon switch. Ryu has access to all his weapons at once but you have to pause the screen to switch weapons. It takes you out of the action. I am not saying NG has to be like DMC where you can cancel out recovery times but it needs something so that the reviewers won't mark it down for having a feature that was made standard LAST GEN. Just watch last week's 1up Yours, Shane and Bryan went down on NG2 substantially. It's a premonition of things to come.
NGII does have weapon switching such that you can't cancel out of recovery times. You no longer have to pause and can access everything via the d-pad. Since you have access to all your weapons at once, a simple binary choice weapon swap as seen in DMC wouldn't really work without forcing you to go into a menu and edit things every time you wanted a different weapon, so you can't really fault them for leaving it out. The only thing I could see working is assigning a weapon swap button that when held allowed you to switch using the analogue stick in a given direction, but I'm fairly certain, between melee and ranged weapons, we'll see more than 8 weapons in NGII so I don't think that would work either. We also don't really know how many buttons it'll be using, so they may not have room for such a button (though they could probably find a way if they wanted to).
If NG2 actually had OTF weapon switch, the fans would be dancing in jubilation. I don't recall anyone worrying about "omfg recovery issues" in GOW2 when it implemented OTF weapon swap.
Had it been announced at the beggining, I probably would have been. I hadn't, at that point, stopped to consider how the mechanic would have affected the combat if it were included. When we learned that it wasn't the type of on the fly switching seen in DMC instead of reacting with accusations of being lazy, I actually thought for a little while about what implications it would have on the combat system and came to the conclusion that not including it was a deliberate and legitimate design choice. I can't fault someone for wanting it in there, but people saying that it's a result of team ninja being lazy are pretty clearly not seeing the forest for the trees here.

Dave Long

Banned
I love the gameplay in Ninja Gaiden, but the dismemberment and blood are really turning me off to this sequel. Does anyone know if it's been said in an interview that we can turn that stuff off?

Dave Long said:
I love the gameplay in Ninja Gaiden, but the dismemberment and blood are really turning me off to this sequel. Does anyone know if it's been said in an interview that we can turn that stuff off?

I doubt it, since it seems pretty integral to the way the game plays.

Dave Long

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
I doubt it, since it seems pretty integral to the way the game plays.
I could live with the dismemberment without the gratiutous blood.

I mean, I've got no problem with the way it's done in No More Heroes for example, because everything's stylized so it's not as "real", but this just seems like it's a little too close to realistic and kind of disgusts me.

All that said, I'll probably play it anyway provided I have a working 360 when that time comes.

Mamesj

Banned
Dahbomb-- you're very helpful in the DMC thread, got pissed when people were talking about 360 vs. PS3 in that thread, now you come in here and stoke up the real time weapon switching debate? what the fuck man?

and you're straight trolling now:
You know DMC isn't the only action game with OTF weapon switch. Ryu has access to all his weapons at once but you have to pause the screen to switch weapons. It takes you out of the action.

oh wow, Genji and God of War...yeah, everyone should be more like those two dumps.

and no, you don't have to pause in NGII.

so sick of the bullshit every single DMC and NG thread on gaf.

Dave Long said:
I could live with the dismemberment without the gratiutous blood.

I mean, I've got no problem with the way it's done in No More Heroes for example, because everything's stylized so it's not as "real", but this just seems like it's a little too close to realistic and kind of disgusts me.

All that said, I'll probably play it anyway provided I have a working 360 when that time comes.
Ah, well....I dunno. He hasn't said. I suppose it's possible, given just how far they're going with the blood, but I wouldn't count on it.
Dahbomb-- you're very helpful in the DMC thread, got pissed when people were talking about 360 vs. PS3 in that thread, now you come in here and stoke up the real time weapon switching debate? what the fuck man?
To be fair, he did bring up a legitimate point that I failed to touch on in my original post. I don't think theres anything wrong with debating the relative merits of having real time weapon switching in NGII as long as people bring up legitimate points and don't just fall back to the "omg last gen" complaint we hear so often.

And I didn't see this earlier in my post so I'll respond now.
Dahbomb said:
Well first of all, you can always switch as long as your feet are planted meaning you can cycle through your entire weapon list during a battle especially since the action pauses.
This isn't QUITE true. If you are mid attack or during certain animations, it won't let you switch even though you can go into the pause menu. I beleive it gives a message such as "Ryu can't switch weapons while fighting" or something to that effect, though I would have to check it to be sure and I don't have my 360 with me right now.
And second of all, being able to switch while the action is going on will cause players to want to learn to play different weapons rather than just stick with the DS. And weapon switch is optional, you aren't REQUIRED to switch.
Mmmm...not sure I buy that. Switching in NGII will be easy enough that I don't think it will provide a barrier for people. I don't see how making on the fly switching would improve it much.
But yeah, I see this going nowhere. Most people here will not accept any reason to this and this feature will simply not be implemented. I will not argue this anymore.
Ignore those that don't want to actually talk about it and just want to hurl insults or bring it to PM's. I have no problems discussing it with you if you want to explain your viewpoint on it so long as you will listen to mine, but it's pretty clear both sides of the camp on this issue kindof tend to get out of control.

ibu

Dave Long said:

Ubisofts PetZ says hi... I hope they don't tone it down... its an artistic direction not gratuitous. If you ask an artist to water down their work for your benefit they would be offended, do not ask the same of itagaki-san!!

WrikaWrek

Banned
Ninja Gaiden 4 and Devil May Cry 4 aren't in competition with each other.

And Ninja Gaiden 4 isn't supposed to play like Devil May Cry 4 or vice Versa.

And i swear man, that weapon switching stuff is getting ridiculous. In this particular game switching from heavy to light weapon during combat like it was nothing is stupid and retarded and isn't part of the philosophy of combat that Ninja Gaiden has.

So please, can we stop with this shit? What are you? Fucking Retards? You can't have more than one good thing?

Jesus christ

pswii60 said:
Suddenly I'm interested in the game again. NG was way too hard for pansy-assed gamers like me. I really wanted to enjoy it, but it was too hard. I even bough NGS on PS3 to give it another go, but still got my ass handed to me.

So glad they're making this game more accessible.

Agreed. I finished the last Ninja Gaiden, loved the game so much that it's in my top 25 games of all time BUT the times where I wanted to smash my controller were way too often.
Was not going to buy this game and it fell way off my radar but with a Panzy-assed difficulty it is now a purchase.:D

Top Bottom