• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II Impressions + Itagaki Insanity

Doodis

Yes, apparently you'll switch with the d-pad, avoiding any menus. However, the game will pause as you're scrolling through weapon options, so it's not "real-time" in the traditional sense. But it's still much improved.

karasu said:
Why are people saying that real time weapon switching isn't part of the game's combat philoophy? Team Ninja could always implement real time weapon switching that wasn't suitable for use mid-combo or whatever. It doesn't have to be anything like DMC's version of it. It would be far superior to going into a menu. "Options!!!" and all of that. The whole ' A ninja doesn't have time to pull out a different weapon" defense is pretty dumb. Ninja are famed for carrying a shitload of weapons an using them all quite deftly.

are they also famed for fighting off demons from hell?

I don't mind the lack of real time weapon switching in NG2. I'll just play DMC4 if I want it. Let NG be NG and innovate the action genre in its own way.

Drewsy

Banned
There still is the menu where you can look up combos, right? I liked that.

I guess there has to be if you think about it.

Cheech

DantesWrath said:
I don't mind the lack of real time weapon switching in NG2. I'll just play DMC4 if I want it. Let NG be NG and innovate the action genre in its own way.

The DMC comparisons are getting really, really old. The original NG still holds up as one of the best action adventure games ever created, the formula is perfect as-is. If people want real time weapon switching, GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE and stop shitting up the thread!

Cheech said:
The DMC comparisons are getting really, really old. The original NG still holds up as one of the best action adventure games ever created, the formula is perfect as-is. If people want real time weapon switching, GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE and stop shitting up the thread!

Here here. Seriously though, as a completely original title NG really came out with an extremely clean and incredible experience. Although there have been a few additions with the hurricane packs/black, as well as a tooth tickler in Sigma, this series is still working on its first true sequel. NG2 people. Just have trust. Like Itagaki already said, the series is still in its infancy. Let the series continue to refine its gameplay and naturally improve and build upon its foundation.

Mamesj

Banned
karasu said:
Why are people saying that real time weapon switching isn't part of the game's combat philoophy? Team Ninja could always implement real time weapon switching that wasn't suitable for use mid-combo or whatever. It doesn't have to be anything like DMC's version of it. It would be far superior to going into a menu. "Options!!!" and all of that. The whole ' A ninja doesn't have time to pull out a different weapon" defense is pretty dumb. Ninja are famed for carrying a shitload of weapons an using them all quite deftly.

just die.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
alkaline black said:

Man, you have to register to see it because it's explicit content - is it new at least?

karasu said:
WTF is with that ignorant shit? I was saying it DOESN'T have to be compared to DMC.

Harsh or not, in-game weapon switching (i.e., not having to go to the pause menu to switch weapons) was shown in the debut gameplay demonstration video from TGS man...

_dementia said:
Alma wasn't too bad for me.

Awakened Alma was different story though. Still haven't defeated her on Master Ninja.
In the original NG Awakened Alma was easier than crap since all you had to do was Flying Swallow her ass to death. In the later versions though she became cheap as shit. The Rising Gleam or whatever the "tornado" move was called was the only way to consistently beat her and even then every time you used the move you too damage from her attacks also. God I hate that fight.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Jeez, I was just about to head to bed, and then I stumbled onto these two Ninja Gaiden 2 vids that haven't been posted on GAF yet - good thing the resident NG fanatic keeps his eyes open for the people...

http://media.xbox360.gamespy.com/media/686/686645/vid_2264774.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbcBG1jOiRk

The Gamespy one has gorgeous quality, and the environment (it still looks to be Sky Tokyo City, but now inside one of the buildings - if so, the first stage really IS huge and varied as hell!) and showcases how the enemies wall-run and even bird-flip off walls to chase you now as Itagaki said - awesome...

The YouTube one, despite being YouTube-quality, shows some lovely views of Sky City Tokyo, as well as some of the many ascents and descents that 1up was talking about - and again, if the first stage (which is supposed to be all of the videos that we've seen in the last 24 hours or so) is already so huge, we are in for one hell of a huge adventure with Ryu - looks like Team Ninja is keeping up on their promise that the game will still be huge like the first Ninja Gaiden despite getting rid of the backtracking (which I actually loved) - enjoy!

karasu

Skilotonn said:
Harsh or not, in-game weapon switching (i.e., not having to go to the pause menu to switch weapons) was shown in the debut gameplay demonstration video from TGS man...

I don't believe I've ever seen that video. I've watched like two movies of the game, and it was so fast that I don't know if I ever saw the weapon switch or not. Regardless, I've never critiqued the game for a lack of real time weapon switching! I don't watch a lot of videos because I like to be surprised by shit when I'm playing.

Skilotonn said:
Jeez, I was just about to head to bed, and then I stumbled onto these two Ninja Gaiden 2 vids that haven't been posted on GAF yet - good thing the resident NG fanatic keeps his eyes open for the people...

The Gamespy one has gorgeous quality, and the environment (it still looks to be Sky Tokyo City, but now inside one of the buildings - if so, the first stage really IS huge and varied as hell!) and showcases how the enemies wall-run and even bird-flip off walls to chase you now as Itagaki said - awesome...

The YouTube one, despite being YouTube-quality, shows some lovely views of Sky City Tokyo, as well as some of the many ascents and descents that 1up was talking about - and again, if the first stage (which is supposed to be all of the videos that we've seen in the last 24 hours or so) is already so huge, we are in for one hell of a huge adventure with Ryu - looks like Team Ninja is keeping up on their promise that the game will still be huge like the first Ninja Gaiden despite getting rid of the backtracking (which I actually loved) - enjoy!

Thanks for posting. Saw a good number of new moves that I hadn't seen before in the first video. Also seems to be some tearing that I hope they clean up before release.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
DantesWrath said:

But you can change your weapons real-time, just not in the middle of a combo.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
karasu said:
I don't believe I've ever seen that video. I've watched like two movies of the game, and it was so fast that I don't know if I ever saw the weapon switch or not. Regardless, I've never critiqued the game for a lack of real time weapon switching! I don't watch a lot of videos because I like to be surprised by shit when I'm playing.

It was the one with Itagaki on-stage, then cutting to a stage-select screen with eight levels, then his assistant started playing - it was the Venice level with the scythe, dual katanas and claws... very first video of NG2 ever...

Guess you don't have a 360, as it was part of the TGS 07 complete video coverage on XBL Marketplace, Gamersyde and other sites ripped the vid as well.

FFChris said:
Anyone doubting the graphical quality of the new NG game better look at this video. Wow.

I'm sure the earlier preview videos never looked as good as that, the IQ is incredible. Amount of polys on those characters are huge and the textures look excellent.

Yup, best quality of the bunch by far so far - it even shows some tearing in the beginning - which will no doubt be gone for the final version, being watched over by Itagaki and all...

Mamesj

Banned
karasu said:
WTF is with that ignorant shit? I was saying it DOESN'T have to be compared to DMC.

---->

Why are people saying that real time weapon switching isn't part of the game's combat philoophy?

you're taking it a step further and saying, "alright it isn't in there, but it SHOULD be in there." as if it's a pre-req of all action games these days (no, just a pre-req for DMC.) then you go on to say you have to go into the options menu to change weapons...while it's well known by anyone who has read thing one about the game that this isn't the case. And there are like 7 pages of flame wars revolving around the issue you brought up, so you look like you're trolling.

The dmc fanboys are just not happy that the NGII info embargo expired a week before DMCIV came out. nice one itagaki :lol

karasu

Skilotonn said:
Guess you don't have a 360, as it was part of the TGS 07 complete video coverage on XBL Marketplace, Gamersyde and other sites ripped the vid as well.

Not yet. But I may get one for this and a few other titles if my money is right.

SPEA

Skilotonn said:

Yeah, I noticed that. Very cool.

FFChris

Skilotonn said:
Yup, best quality of the bunch by far so far - it even shows some tearing in the beginning - which will no doubt be gone for the final version, being watched over by Itagaki and all...

Visually it looks stunning. What's better is the enemies running across the walls to attack you.

I was sceptical about this game when they showed the early videos, but the visuals have improved so quickly, and the variety of backgrounds and levels are starting to show.

This is looking more and more like it can be the worthy sequal to my favorite action game of all time.

So I noticed in one of the videos when Ryu got close to a Dragon Statue it told him to press the Right Bumper to heal. Does this mean that the X Button is not longer the "quick attack" and the context sensitive "open door/interact" button? I hope so. I hated trying to attack guys only to immediately exit the door I just came from.

This is random as fuck but goddamn this is badass, what video did you get this gif from?

34yb5ub.gif

Sandman42 said:
It's funny, because I never knew that so many people had a hard time with Alma until I went on Ninja Gaiden forums and stuff. I guess I just got lucky and beat her the first try. I had more problems with the Skeleton Dragon. :lol
it took me a few tries to beat alma, but i didn't really STRUGGLE.

what surprised me was that people had trouble with the ghost fish.

i just used fire wheel and ran thru them, and most of the time they dropped red essence to replace the one i used!

Solo

NG was my personal GOTY in 2004. Lightning may strike twice with this franchise (although GTAIV, MGS4, and Alan Wake might have something to say about that). Cant wait to have this bad boy in my hands.

Draft

I'm just tickled pink that Ryu's ignorant "open up bitch" kick is still in.

This is the first game that I've read previews for in a while.

Skilotonn said:

This stage is just beautiful :D!!! Thanks for the vids. I love the orange and pink lighting and the view of the city from that height was pretty spectacular. I'm interested in seeing what would happen if you were quick enough to toss a few shuriken at those guys as they were wall running across an open gap :).

a Master Ninja said:
So I noticed in one of the videos when Ryu got close to a Dragon Statue it told him to press the Right Bumper to heal. Does this mean that the X Button is not longer the "quick attack" and the context sensitive "open door/interact" button? I hope so. I hated trying to attack guys only to immediately exit the door I just came from.

They have a lot to work with on the controller so this is most likely true. There were a few buttons that were used for the black and white buttons like karma score and map view that weren't exactly necessary. Wouldn't be surprised to see that one of those two things would only be accessible via the menu now.

karasu

The Faceless Master said:
... earlier that day ...

uh, so what were you saying exactly?

you can switch weapons.

without a menu.

What don't you get? He said the game pauses when you're changing weapons. That doesn't take you out of the game as much as a menu, but it' still a break in the momentum. I don't think it's a deal breaker at all. My problems with Ninja Gaiden were always about the enemy patterns, not so much the weapon switching (I stuck with Lunar). All I was saying is that wanting 'real time weapon switching' or seeing the possible benefits of it, doesn't mean that you want the game to be DMC anymore than wanting gore an ismemberment in DMC means you want it to be Ninja Gaiden. Genji has real time weapon switching and it has fuck all to do with DMC. Give the hyper-defensive act a break.

To continue this DMC discussion in a NG topic: How does Dante's "new" on-the-fly weapon switching even work? Before you were limited to two devil arms and two guns, but you could switch between them mid-combo. You could only change what you had equipped at the start of a mission or at a Divinity Statue.

Now I hear in DMC4 you can switch between three devil arms and three guns on-the-fly not to mention switching styles. Are you stuck just cycling through them in a set order (1,2,3,1,2,3) or can you instantly cycle through them in a forward and reverse order (1,3,2,1,2,3,etc)? There are only so many buttons on the controller, so how are they making that work?

Mrbob

Skilotonn said:

How can I stay mad at you 360.

How....can...I..stay...mad.

I'm ms bitch when this is out. :/

Draft

a Master Ninja said:
To continue this DMC discussion in a NG topic: How does Dante's "new" on-the-fly weapon switching even work? Before you were limited to two devil arms and two guns, but you could switch between them mid-combo. You could only change what you had equipped at the start of a mission or at a Divinity Statue.

Now I hear in DMC4 you can switch between three devil arms and three guns on-the-fly not to mention switching styles. Are you stuck just cycling through them in a set order (1,2,3,1,2,3) or can you instantly cycle through them in a forward and reverse order (1,3,2,1,2,3,etc)? There are only so many buttons on the controller, so how are they making that work?
I would also like to know.

Styles are changed with the d-pad.

Sean

Banned
There's a new video interview with Itagaki over at OXM here: http://www.oxmpodcast.com/video/?p=31

Also supposed to be gameplay footage up at oxmonline.com but I don't think it's been uploaded just yet (or at least I can't find it).

Here's a screen cap from it, there's some real nice photoshop potential in this shot:

itagaki_rock_band8ad89.png

karasu said:
What don't you get? He said the game pauses when you're changing weapons. That doesn't take you out of the game as much as a menu, but it' still a break in the momentum. I don't think it's a deal breaker at all. My problems with Ninja Gaiden were always about the enemy patterns, not so much the weapon switching (I stuck with Lunar). All I was saying is that wanting 'real time weapon switching' or seeing the possible benefits of it, doesn't mean that you want the game to be DMC anymore than wanting gore an ismemberment in DMC means you want it to be Ninja Gaiden. Genji has real time weapon switching and it has fuck all to do with DMC. Give the hyper-defensive act a break.
what benefit is there of the game not pausing while switching weapons, other than the ability for ryu to get chopped to bits?

karasu

The Faceless Master said:
what benefit is there of the game not pausing while switching weapons, other than the ability for ryu to get chopped to bits?

It' not a major deal okay, it just slows things down. What benefit is there to the game pausing if I decide to switch weapons while travelling through an enemy free section of the map?

karasu said:
It' not a major deal okay, it just slows things down. What benefit is there to the game pausing if I decide to switch weapons while travelling through an enemy free section of the map?

Fuck MGS! Oh wait, nobody ever complained about that.

Aaron

This is the only game where I find it hard to watch the videos because I want to be the only playing it so badly. I think it looks like a big visual improvement over the original with a nice assortment of new options, but most important is it's still the most vicious series on the market. I'm sure everything else will look tame before NG2 in Master Ninja mode. I'm all prepared for the constant swearing and smashing of controllers that is bound to result.

karasu said:
slows what down exactly?

would it somehow take less time to switch weapons with the game running, than with the game pausing, then unpausing?

Top Bottom