• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Oreoleo

Also this is basically my first action game (tend to stick with the shooters and adventure games), so try not to look down on my apparent weaksauceness :(

USD

OnBackOrder said:
How do you download movies that have been uploaded? Is there anyway to quickly scroll to the top of the leaderboard and download the videos from the best players?
Press X twice to change the filter to the top of the leaderboards. Click in the right stick to view and download movies.

Oreoleo

goldenpp72 said:
no dude the auto aim follows it the entire time, its obscenely easy

Oh really so that's why I tried to shoot him with auto-aim multiple times in a row and missed every single time? It's not like it's the first boss I tried to use auto-aim on. I could only ever get it to work on normal, stationary enemies.

S7300409-2.jpg

This stage looks so amazing.

TP

OnBackOrder said:
S7300409-2.jpg

This stage looks so amazing.

I hate that part of the stage
its like they're trying to blind me during the two bosses

and Auto aim never works for me with that last boss either

Victrix

*beard*
Orellio said:
Oh really so that's why I tried to shoot him with auto-aim multiple times in a row and missed every single time? It's not like it's the first boss I tried to use auto-aim on. I could only ever get it to work on normal, stationary enemies.

Out of curiosity, did you de-lock the camera with RB, either intentionally, or accidentally while picking up more arrows?

Oreoleo

Victrix said:
Out of curiosity, did you de-lock the camera with RB, either intentionally, or accidentally while picking up more arrows?

While picking up the arrows maybe. It's not a boss that really requires the lock-on camera so it's hard to say for sure.

Edit: A winner is you! That was definitely why they weren't connecting.

Also! Just completed the game. So, so satisfying. Don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. Thanks everyone who gave me tips for the last bosses, I literally couldn't have done it without you.

And I am a Dragon Sword Master :D

Now for warrior, and the tests of valor.

Future

I know there is a general consensus that the bosses in this game are terrible. But I want to chime in here that the final form of the last boss is one of the worst I have ever played in any game. He literally is designed in a way that you cannot even hit him at all until he "decides" to be vulnerable. Problem is that sometimes he doesnt even decide that. I've been watching him fly around for what feels like 10 minutes and all I can do is dodge with no remote possibility of anything. WTF is this. I respect Team Ninja, but this is pure shit in every possible way.

I've beaten him before, and he really isnt all that hard....when he decides to land on the ground for awhile so you can hit him. Just very poorly designed and not fun to fight at all.

Oreoleo

I pretty much agree with you. That 2nd form is just not fun to fight. Like Draft said though, if you stick by his right hand when he's hanging off the edge of the cliff (There is a little section just beyond his hand that juts out a little farther then the rest of the cliff) you can pretty much avoid his white beam attack and most of the fist smash attacks. It's not foolproof but it certainly helped me out a fair bit.

Victrix

*beard*
The last boss(es) didn't bug me much really. I felt they were more of a real-time cutscene than any sort of serious fight. The first form goes down rapidly once you realize you don't actually have to aim the arrows, and the last fight is really just an exercise in patience.

Plus, 10-14 was just just one solid run of awesomeness.

Incidently, screwing around some more now that I'm more relaxed and I'm finding that a _lot_ of stuff can be blocked. Even really huge big boss attacks. Throws and stomps are the only attacks that seem to consistently go through your guard, and those can be dodged or jumped out of. Nuclear explosion? No problem, block it. 25 foot tall demon swinging his fist? Put your blade up and strike a pose!

robot

Any tips for fighting those half human/half robots in the flying fortress? Whenever I fight more than one I basically keep getting shot for like 45 seconds and die. And it looks like John Carmack designed those guys.

Mad Max

robot said:
Any tips for fighting those half human/half robots in the flying fortress? Whenever I fight more than one I basically keep getting shot for like 45 seconds and die. And it looks like John Carmack designed those guys.

You can block their shots if you're quick.

AlStrong

robot said:

I triple flying sparrow them, but I'm doing the dragon sword run. :p

I think I'm going to give up on Mentor. I know I can beat it, but it's just not fun anymore. I'm about midway through and it's starting to feel like work rather than entertainment. Everything resorts to spamming Izuna Drop, Flying Swallow, or Guillotine throw and gets super old. On Warrior I can mix it up, use all the weapons and go for more style than substance.

Who knows though, I may take a shot back at it in a month or so but for now I'll replay the weapon achievements on Warrior.

Malik

Banned
DancingJesus said:
I think I'm going to give up on Mentor. I know I can beat it, but it's just not fun anymore. I'm about midway through and it's starting to feel like work rather than entertainment. Everything resorts to spamming Izuna Drop, Flying Swallow, or Guillotine throw and gets super old. On Warrior I can mix it up, use all the weapons and go for more style than substance.

Who knows though, I may take a shot back at it in a month or so but for now I'll replay the weapon achievements on Warrior.

It's difficulty is more annoying than satisfying, itagaki over does it to the point that you don't wanna replay it, again due to cursing and stressing over it the first time of barely beating it...and like you say it becomes work, then pure enjoyment.

This time NG2 didn't require skill, but persistence and luck. NG1 required right timing, skill and thinking to win.

NG2 imo, seems rushed, (itagaki leaving played a part, most likely) and instead of trying they just throw in countless of bosses to make up for the shit story and low ideas.

reminded me of DMC2.

I am at the final boss, well, second to final. I am at the arch fiend and I won't be trying again for at least a couple of days. Why? Because of that goddamn fucking glitch that happens at the second area you climb up to. The boss is suppose to hit the wall with his fucking tail, but each time the tail just swings through it as though it were not even there.

Fuck:( Other than that, I love the game.

Malik

Banned
RattleHead_ said:
huh? Care to explain how it's luck not skill?

there was no real stragedy to kill the bosses, like in NG1..no real pattern of attack. One could just stick to the most powerful weapon and beat them down.

this was the case with me, just keep attacking and dodging what's obvious. NG2 had more enemies attacking at you..hell alot more....the only thing one does is just go nutz and button mash and if your lucky you kill them.

like i said, just felt rushed. seriously, what was with the constant boss battles, every next step...another big battle with a boss takes place, you see RYU give the same cheesy stare and boom, next boss...repeat and repeat.

the storyline was horrible, expecially for a ninja game...it could have been much more epic.

The boss design could have been much more better and metal fish with a human face..WTF?

but whatever, its my opinion.

the gameplay of course is still superb as i stated b4..shame.

MCD

Malik said:
there was no real stragedy to kill the bosses, like in NG1..no real pattern of attack. One could just stick to the most powerful weapon and beat them down.

this was the case with me, just keep attacking and dodging what's obvious. NG2 had more enemies attacking at you..hell alot more....the only thing one does is just go nutz and button mash and if your lucky you kill them.

like i said, just felt rushed. seriously, what was with the constant boss battles, every next step...another big battle with a boss takes place, you see RYU give the same cheesy stare and boom, next boss...repeat and repeat.

the storyline was horrible, expecially for a ninja game...it could have been much more epic.

The boss design could have been much more better and metal fish with a human face..WTF?

but whatever, its my opinion.
let's talk about NG1 for a bit:

NG1 biggest problem was the dragon sword total domination, you can see here they tried to make each weapon useful.

there is also the cheap wall flipping attack which you can also see how they tried to eliminate it as much as possible.

as for a mid boss fight and fights in general, hey it's an action game, i don't want to endlessly backtrack or solve some retarded puzzle.

story? as bad as it ever was, it was better for me but who cares.

Malik

Banned
McDragon said:
let's talk about NG1 for a bit:

NG1 biggest problem was the dragon sword total domination, you can see here they tried to make each weapon useful.

there is also the cheap wall flipping attack which you can also see how they tried to eliminate it as much as possible.

as for a mid boss fight and fights in general, hey it's an action game, i don't want to endlessly backtrack or solve some retarded puzzle.

story? as bad as it ever was, it was better for me but who cares.

to each there own, but NG black was a MUCH harder game overall..of obvious reasons, regarding those factors you mentioned. the countless thrown in bosses felt cheap, considering it's a popular ninja game and KNOWING how cool ninja's are and there overall history, an epic story COULD have been formed, but team ninja lack that, IMO.

NG2 you only needed 2 weapons to dominate the game' the claws or the reaper stick (forgot its name). Most bosses could be destroyed with that.

also wish the last few levels of background detailed was done in the first few levels. oh well.

MCD

other than the technical issues like framerate and bugs/glitches my only gripe so far is how the bosses go down fast unlike say, Alma from the first game.

i didn't beat mentor/master ninja yet so here is hoping it's better there.

Malik

Banned
_dementia said:
shiiit

I know, off-screen and all that, but damn, really need to calibrate my tv

to bad the earlier levels of the game lack those details shown in those last levels. honestly some levels looks so bad and PS2-like concerning textures.

So guys think Tecmo will ever move ahead with a Sigma version of NG2 for PStriple? ...since they own they IP and they've already done it once

I'm not trying to stir anything up....I honestly wanna know what you guys think, more over, do you think NG2 would benefit from it?

MCD

AgentOtaku said:
So guys think Tecmo will ever move ahead with a Sigma version of NG2 for PStriple? ...since they own they IP and they've already done it once

I'm not trying to stir anything up....I honestly wanna know what you guys think, more over, do you think NG2 would benefit from it?
Tecmo/Team Ninja situation isn't good at the moment and honestly i can't predict what will happen next.

NG2 will benefit from it for sure if the whole team work on it and if they treated it as NG2: Black not just a straight port.

Draft

AgentOtaku said:

Yes, I'm practically certain that they will. MS doesn't own the game, they just published it. There is probably an exclusivity window of a year or something, and when that is up, it will get ported.

The game has technical issues out the ass. If a PS3 port eliminates the pervasive frame drops and in-level loading, then of course, NG2 benefits.

It is a real shame, because the more I play it, the more its superiority over Black comes through. The weapon diversity, the OTs, the larger more dangerous groups of enemies- this is next gen Ninja Gaiden, but it's nearly crippled by performance issues.

Draft said:
The game has technical issues out the ass. If a PS3 port eliminates the pervasive frame drops and in-level loading, then of course, NG2 benefits.
I'd buy it in a heartbeat but...
Draft said:
There is probably an exclusivity window of a year or something, and when that is up, it will get ported.
...I'd wager the details of the publishing contract weren't that short term.

JdFoX187

Banned
Beat the game today just a few minutes ago. I knew the second form was incoming, but I could see how a lot of people would be pissed by that faux ending :lol

Great game overall though. Thought the final battle was easier than a lot of people ere saying. Played on Warrior, so I'll probably have my ass handed to me on mentor.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
For those who never get the auto-aim to work with the bow, I know what the problem is - your left analog stick.

Mine which I've had from launch sticks slightly to the left if I left all the way left and let it go sometimes - I can recenter it if I notice it sticks, but it makes auto-aiming on the ground (mid-air auto aim works fine as direction-pressing won't change it)...

With his first form, I can beat him perfect without a scratch - and this was with always manually aiming to his head... so when I also heard a good while back about people using auto-aimed fully-charged bows to his head, I tried it after making sure that the stick was centered, and went "whoa"...

A boss I could already perfect got even easier.

And I don't see NG2 coming to PS3 period - with MS having the publishing rights wrapped up, I don't see them letting Tecmo out of the contract at all - Tecmo isn't even in a position to bargain anytime soon either...

Malik said:
to bad the earlier levels of the game lack those details shown in those last levels. honestly some levels looks so bad and PS2-like concerning textures.

Now you're talking nonsense.

Glix

The test of valor on level 8, I think it is test of valor 6, is making me cry.

Any advice from you hardcore gaffers?

Glix said:
The test of valor on level 8, I think it is test of valor 6, is making me cry.

Any advice from you hardcore gaffers?
That one was a bitch to get. I used the piercing void ninpo to help me get rid of those huge T-Rex looking machine things.

X26

Banned
Oh man, on mentor when you crash through the window on ch.1 I got sodomized. Think I'm going to restart and play smarter, at that point I had already used 3 health items

Glix

Dax01 said:
That one was a bitch to get. I used the piercing void ninpo to help me get rid of those huge T-Rex looking machine things.

EDIT: You may be thinking of TOV 5, not 6, that is the one with the BRUTAL ED-209 walkers :D

With a fully leveled up Sycthe, those guys aren't THAT much trouble, its the bastards with the rocket launchers that are driving me nuts.

I'm playing on warrior, BTW.

If I try and chuck explosive shrunkiens, they auto target the walkers cuz they are closer :(

I use the fire ninpo, because it takes out more targets.

I have a 1 herb, 1 grains, and one Life of the Gods, but I'm trying to save the LOTG for the boss.

Spruce Moose said:
Getting old sucks. I'm stuck at the Chapter 3 boss on Acolyte.

*shame*

Damn these aging hands and eyes.
That fight was a real pain in the ass , not looking forward to it on my warrior run. Not sure if auto aim works on this boss as I didn't know about auto aim at the time so I was just manually aiming. If auto aim does work, that should make him a lot easier.

His electric balls and mini me attacks are impossible to completely avoid (at least for me they were) so just dodge as much as you can, they shouldn't do too much damage.

His giant blue face attack is the most powerful, continuous dash jumping and you should be able to avoid it.

I think the most important thing in this fight is to just keep your distance as much as possible. As long as you don't touch him or get hit by the giant blue face attack you should be able to slowly grind him down.

ElyrionX

Spruce Moose said:
Getting old sucks. I'm stuck at the Chapter 3 boss on Acolyte.

*shame*

Damn these aging hands and eyes.

The most important thing to remember for that fight is that when he turns upside down, you can wail away at him with your melee weapon without getting electrocuted. That should take away a huge chunk of his health.

Future

RattleHead_ said:
huh? Care to explain how it's luck not skill?

In the case of the last boss, there is no way to "force" him to get on the ground and vulnerable. It's just about getting lucky and hoping that he does. Seems like even the designers did a "holy shit you cant beat this guy" near the end of development, and gave him a move of him merely walking around like an idiot so you could deliver some damage. Too bad this move sometimes glitches out and he ends up walking 20 feet in the air and impossible to get to

Generally there is little satisfaction in beating any of the bosses. Sometimes you'll nail them with a combo that takes a quarter to half life in one sweep, sometimes they'll attack right through it and nail you with some of the longest throws ever seen in an action game. The bow only ones depend on you hoping that auto aim works properly when it often doesnt (depending on where the boss is). There are few patterns to look for besides dodge 10 hit string combo and then retaliate, and/or then dodge the throw. Many attacks have little wind up and small dodge windows, yet are immediately devastating.

Its not really surprising. DoA series had some horrible bosses too. And Ninja Gaiden 2's AI and bosses are somewhat similar to the AI and bosses added to Black and Sigma. They have a fantastic combat system, but I dont think they know how to always make fights "fun." Credos in DMC4 is more fun than any boss in NG2

Mamesj

Banned
AgentOtaku said:

There's a lot riding against this:
--an incredible amount of impending litigation
--MS published it

ElyrionX said:
The most important thing to remember for that fight is that when he turns upside down, you can wail away at him with your melee weapon without getting electrocuted. That should take away a huge chunk of his health.

Oh I didn't know that, thanks! I'll have another crack at him this afternoon, but right now I should keep working on the landscaping project outside. Yuk.

Llyranor

I've only fought the first 4 bosses so far. They were okay. I didn't find NGB's bosses particularly memorable, either.

While I enjoy the combat in this a whole lot lot more than in DMC4, I find DMC4 to have more enjoyable bosses by a good margin.

Draft

Future said:
In the case of the last boss, there is no way to "force" him to get on the ground and vulnerable. It's just about getting lucky and hoping that he does. Seems like even the designers did a "holy shit you cant beat this guy" near the end of development, and gave him a move of him merely walking around like an idiot so you could deliver some damage. Too bad this move sometimes glitches out and he ends up walking 20 feet in the air and impossible to get to

Generally there is little satisfaction in beating any of the bosses. Sometimes you'll nail them with a combo that takes a quarter to half life in one sweep, sometimes they'll attack right through it and nail you with some of the longest throws ever seen in an action game. The bow only ones depend on you hoping that auto aim works properly when it often doesnt (depending on where the boss is). There are few patterns to look for besides dodge 10 hit string combo and then retaliate, and/or then dodge the throw. Many attacks have little wind up and small dodge windows, yet are immediately devastating.

Its not really surprising. DoA series had some horrible bosses too. And Ninja Gaiden 2's AI and bosses are somewhat similar to the AI and bosses added to Black and Sigma. They have a fantastic combat system, but I dont think they know how to always make fights "fun." Credos in DMC4 is more fun than any boss in NG2
All of the bosses have patterns and all of them are fun to fight. Even the robo face worm has its own retarded charm.

BTW you can injure the second form Archfiend when he's hanging on the edge of the cliff, and you can probably shoot him while he's hovering around, though I didn't try. You don't have to wait for him to walk around.

Top Bottom