• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2011/2012 Fiscal Meeting 26/04 [Update: Full Notes In OP, DD System, More]

I wonder if they're backpedaling due to the possibility of people sharing their accounts with friends. How do they prevent that? I know there are people who share their Netflix accounts, for example.

Same way those services do... Hardware identity DRM. One authorisation per console, transferable licensing like 360 and psn

There's an account system in the works for online profiles and online play, but I do have to wonder how they plan to reconcile it with the well established system linked aspects of 3ds, if indeed it is getting the full Nintendo Network upgrade to gel with Wii U...

We'll have to wait and see

Just because they have "accounts" now doesn't mean they will let you download your stuff onto multiple consoles. 3DS also has accounts and it doesn't allow that.

Erethian

The 3DS doesn't have an account.
Though, there's always the possibility of being able to redownload them on another system, if you contact Nintendo.

The 3DS has an account for content verification purposes. You just can't change what system the account is attached to without the transfer utility.

It's why you need an online connection when you use it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wonder if they're backpedaling due to the possibility of people sharing their accounts with friends. How do they prevent that?
By only allowing each account to be active on one device at a time? And for transfers make it so you have to contact Nintendo support, provide some info, the reason for the transfer, etc, so you couldn't constantly transfer it back and forth different systems with little hassle. But transfers to next-gen systems should be done without having to contact them, just login, confirm, and then it's tied to that system and from that point on for further transfers you have to contact them again etc. Just a thought.

Anyway, I imagine the current transfer scheme will work for these DD titles so you can transfer even without (visible to the user, I imagine much like the Wii there are essentially accounts based on the device id, so you don't have to login or whatever but they can see it and manipulate it as needed) having accounts. I don't see why they'd block that function for them.

Edit: as above. So I guess my "idea" doesn't even have to be considered, outside for when someone's system breaks and they contact Nintendo as the transfer utility couldn't be used then. Does the 3DS transfer utility work per title, or does it only allow you to transfer everything on that "account" to another system, meaning it's not a very practical method of sharing a few games here and there and so stopping that practice on its own (not to mention stop users from selling their older games and the like)?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Best news is that Wii U will offer retail digital downloads on day one. I was worried there, I've ripped all my Wii games and am planning on selling the discs soon, but I was hesitant about building up another physical library with Wii U. Now I can just get everything digitally, as I've been trying to do. Sweet!

And yeah, that "global" comment on Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem is pleasing to hear.

Update- I decided not to sell my discs after getting a one-week ban for this post, didn't really occur to me it was essentially piracy, I just wanted to get rid of the discs.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know, the clearest reading of Iwata's presentation would seem to say that downloadable "retail" titles will only be offered for sale at retailers -- and not the eShop. If that's not the case, then

43.jpg
and
44.jpg

make little to no sense.

The second image is shown "in contrast" to the first. The first would be Nintendo directly selling titles on the eShop. The second shows Nintendo not selling titles on the eShop.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Prevent people from sharing their accounts or just look the other way? I don't own either console so I honestly don't know the answer to that question.

Yes people can share Netflix accounts because Netflix allows you to access their service on more than one device. This isn't possible on 360/PS3.

Best news is that Wii U will offer retail digital downloads on day one. I was worried there, I've ripped all my Wii games and am planning on selling the discs soon, but I was hesitant about building up another physical library with Wii U. Now I can just get everything digitally, as I've been trying to do. Sweet!

Er, how is that not piracy?

Erethian

Couldn't Nintendo be talking like this?

NSMB 2 Retail: $40: Retailer gets $5 per sale

NSMB 2 Digital Retail: $35: Lesser price but Retailer still gets $5 due to a higher profit margin as that money doesn't go to anything else.

Inventory costs for the retailer would be much, much lower for the digital copies sold through retail as opposed to the boxed copies.

Yes people can share Netflix accounts because Netflix allows you to access their service on more than one device. This isn't possible on 360/PS3.

Er, how is that not piracy?

How can someone own a Wii and not know about homebrewing it to play their games off an external hard drive?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Soon Gamestop will just be a store full of cards featuring download codes.

How can someone own a Wii and not know about homebrewing it to play their games off an external hard drive?

He is talking about ripping the game and selling the disc. I do play my Wii games off of an external hard drive.

You know, the clearest reading of Iwata's presentation would seem to say that downloadable "retail" titles will only be offered for sale at retailers -- and not the eShop. If that's not the case, then

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120427/img/43.jpg[IMG] and [img]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120427/img/44.jpg[img]

make little to no sense.

The second image is shown "in contrast" to the first. The first would be Nintendo directly selling titles on the eShop. The second shows Nintendo not selling titles on the eShop.[/QUOTE]

I think those models are juxtaposed to show what he means by retailers setting prices and eShop just matching or at some default msrp

LeleSocho

Banned
By the way DD on retail stores is the most intelligent thing i've ever seen.
You keep retailers happy
You keep customers happy (for paying less... potentially)
And you keep developer happy (can't sell the game)

Cipherr

43.jpg
and
44.jpg

make little to no sense.

The second image is shown "in contrast" to the first. The first would be Nintendo directly selling titles on the eShop. The second shows Nintendo not selling titles on the eShop.

He very clearly said that titles would be available at both. He even gave an example about the credit card and peoples comfort with it and whatnot that very directly implied the option of being able to use both.

By the way DD on retail stores is the most intelligent thing i've ever seen.
You keep retailers happy
You keep customers happy (for paying less... potentially)
And you keep developer happy (can't sell the game)

I didnt even think about that. But yeah you are right, the ones wishing for a death to used games probably will see this as a win. Very interesting approach.

Erethian

43.jpg
and
44.jpg

make little to no sense.

You can do either.

Of course, for all the digital download software, we ultimately need our consumers to download them to their Nintendo 3DS system through the Nintendo eShop. However, when it comes to how our consumers choose the candidates and make the final purchase decision, as well as how they pay for the software, we are going to enable consumers to go through these processes at both retailers and the Nintendo eShop.

Instro

And yeah, that "global" comment on Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem is pleasing to hear.

Uhh what?

Erethian

Soon Gamestop will just be a store full of cards featuring download codes.

Well the great part of this strategy is that you've got a system that will expose people to the eShop. It's pretty much the equivalent of Steamworks-enabled titles where even though people buy them at retail they end up getting exposed to Steam.

Glass Joe

43.jpg
and
44.jpg

make little to no sense.

"Of course, for all the digital download software, we ultimately need our consumers to download them to their Nintendo 3DS system through the Nintendo eShop. However, when it comes to how our consumers choose the candidates and make the final purchase decision, as well as how they pay for the software, we are going to enable consumers to go through these processes at both retailers and the Nintendo eShop."

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120427/04.html

My guess is there will be incentive to go to a retailer. e-Shop will be the lazy convenient option with a price premium compared to retailers.

zroid

Banned
Why not just print download codes on receipts?

I'm pretty sure this is how it's going to work. In fact, Iwata specifically said that they were trying to alleviate retail inventory risk, so stocking cards is contradictory to that end. The codes will be given out directly.

Alexios

I'm just mulling over the weird conflict -- it might just be a poor choice of imagery.
It definitely seems contradictory, unless the eShop version is full MSRP while retailers can price fight as they do with physical copies. Or they're just trying to hide the truth from retailers by presenting it in a manner that shows they're still in full control as with physical-only releases when in fact the eShop versions bypass them all the same anyway. But retail is going to be dominant for a while longer, by the time they notice they've helped Nintendo in bypassing them by promoting DD it will be too late =x

Glass Joe

I'm pretty sure this is how it's going to work. In fact, Iwata specifically said that they were trying to alleviate retail inventory risk, so stocking cards is contradictory to that end. The codes will be given out directly.

Prepaid cards (gift cards, phone cards, Wii points cards etc) carry absolutely no risk to the retailer. Stores don't even count them for inventory. Kids can just run off with them and it doesn't matter. They have to be scanned/swiped at the register in order for the scratch off code on it to be activated and only then does it have value to either side.

zroid

Banned
Prepaid cards (gift cards, phone cards, etc) carry absolutely no risk to the retailer. Stores don't even count them for inventory. Kids can just run off with them and it doesn't matter. They have to be scanned/swiped at the register in order for the scratch off code on it to be activated and only then does it have value to either side.

What I mean is, they have to stock them in the first place, so there's always a chance of running low or whatever. But I see your point, if they have no value until activated, then they can just get a ton, even if it's a niche title.

Cipherr

What I mean is, they have to stock them in the first place, so there's always a chance of running low or whatever. But I see your point, if they have no value until activated, then they can just get a ton, even if it's a niche title.

Maybe a combination of both. Cards that have to be activated, with the ability to also just print a code.

guek

Banned

What nintendo could do is put out generic game cards that when activated get tied to a specific game. No chance of running low or stock issues.

Andrex
Banned
(Today, 11:57 AM)

Glass Joe

Yeah I've had some retail experience, managing electronics departments and such. Usually our system would auto-order anything we would be low on, but in the case of cards, we would have to keep an eye on them and order more as necessary. That, or company representatives like Tracfone or whoever would check the displays and replenish as needed.

BY2K

Membero Americo

That has to be a perma.

Dear God.

TheNatural

My Member!

WTF u thinking man.

It seems that I'm not alone in my confusion. The lack of a true account based system for DRM, rather than the current hardware ID system, throws a big bucket of cold water on the prospect of digital games from nintendo for me. I was really excited about it until I thought about this, too. Also, the lack of an account system on Wii U would cripple any attempt at an social online service similar to their competitors. On a handheld I can somewhat understand this, but on a home console, multiple accounts are the standard.

zroid

Banned
What nintendo could do is put out generic game cards that when activated get tied to a specific game. No chance of running low or stock issues.

Hmmm, that'd be interesting all right. Wonder if it's feasible.

Best news is that Wii U will offer retail digital downloads on day one. I was worried there, [snip], but I was hesitant about building up another physical library with Wii U. Now I can just get everything digitally, as I've been trying to do. Sweet!

Oh boy...

JoeFu

Banned
I kinda hope that the cards to do sell at retail stores have awesome designs. I'd miss having boxart :( Having business card sized cards with awesome art on it would be nice!

I'm all for being green though and just having the code printed on the receipt.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It seems that I'm not alone in my confusion. The lack of a true account based system for DRM, rather than the current hardware ID system, throws a big bucket of cold water on the prospect of digital games from nintendo for me. I was really excited about it until I thought about this, too. Also, the lack of an account system on Wii U would cripple any attempt at an social online service similar to their competitors. On a handheld I can somewhat understand this, but on a home console, multiple accounts are the standard.
They said there will be accounts on Wii U before. It's just too bad it'll be too late for 3DS.

Instro

The WiiU has already been confirmed by Nintendo to have an account based system.

BY2K

Membero Americo

There will be an account system on Wii U.

EDIT: Beaten twice. Profound sadness.

Alexios

It seems that I'm not alone in my confusion. The lack of a true account based system for DRM, rather than the current hardware ID system, throws a big bucket of cold water on the prospect of digital games from nintendo for me.
Why is that, as long as they can be transferred to another system like they can be with the 3DS (and in case of damage rendering the process impossible for the user then I'm sure Nintendo does it for you)? It's definitely a bit of a hassle but I guess that's the point of the process, to stop people from doing it all the time sharing the games on multiple devices. But for normal use it doesn't really seem to be an issue. Like, I'm sure if you go to a store to trade in a model for a new one or a next gen system or whatever they'll allow you to do the transfer right there (they all have internet these days, right?), why wouldn't they?

guek

Banned
Hmmm, that'd be interesting all right. Wonder if it's feasible.

Why wouldn't it be? If you can assign varying dollar amounts to gift cards which are nothing but a random jumble of numbers, why not a specific game? The caveat might be the code might not be active for a short time until nintendo's servers activate it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
That has to be a perma.

Dear God.

It's one of those things where you kind of feel sorry for him, but the level of stupidity it takes to post such a thing is chuckle-worthy.

Then I picture some poor guy crying in his basement because he can't post on GAF during E3, and I get a bit depressed. :(

zroid

Banned
The caveat might be the code might not be active for a short time until nintendo's servers activate it.

This is what I'm curious about, but I guess it's not really much different from activating a money card's code. It's just one extra variable to send over to Nintendo.

Top Bottom