• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2011/2012 Fiscal Meeting 26/04 [Update: Full Notes In OP, DD System, More]

Somnid

Oh jeez, how am I gonna get my Google news now? RIP Andrex.

Anyway, the DD scheme sounds kinda interesting. At least for 3DS DD carries huge wieght, somewhat literally because I don't have to carry around cards. Though I wonder how much mileage I'll get out of a 32GB card.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Why is that, as long as they can be transferred to another system like they can be with the 3DS (and in case of damage rendering the process impossible for the user then I'm sure Nintendo does it for you)? It's definitely a bit of a hassle but I guess that's the point of the process, to stop people from doing it all the time sharing the games on multiple devices. But for normal use it doesn't really seem to be an issue. Like, I'm sure if you go to a store to trade in a model for a new one or a next gen system or whatever they'll allow you to do the transfer right there (they all have internet these days, right?), why wouldn't they?
Well if you have two systems and don't trade, or like Nintendo says:
36l.jpg

If share games with family members and they have their own system, then it's no longer possible.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow. The digitally sold on release thing is the first good thing I've heard about the Wii U thus far. Today is the day I take a break from hating and tip my hat to Nintendo. I can only hope they pull through in every other area they're dragging behind in.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It's one of those things where you kind of feel sorry for him, but the level of stupidity it takes to post such a thing is chuckle-worthy.

Then I picture some poor guy crying in his basement because he can't post on GAF during E3, and I get a bit depressed. :(

Aw damn. :( I feel kinda bad.

Instro

Well if you have two systems and don't trade, or like Nintendo says:
36l.jpg

If share games with family members and they have their own system, then it's no longer possible.

I think that has more to do with not being able to pass around SD cards with games, not that you can't perform system transfers anymore.

Erethian

Why is that, as long as they can be transferred to another system like they can be with the 3DS (and in case of damage rendering the process impossible for the user then I'm sure Nintendo does it for you)? It's definitely a bit of a hassle but I guess that's the point of the process, to stop people from doing it all the time sharing the games on multiple devices. But for normal use it doesn't really seem to be an issue. Like, I'm sure if you go to a store to trade in a model for a new one or a next gen system or whatever they'll allow you to do the transfer right there (they all have internet these days, right?), why wouldn't they?

If Nintendo want people to buy into digital distribution more they definitely need to give consumers a greater sense of permanence with their purchases. The idea that even if you lose the system or it breaks you'll have no trouble whatsoever recovering your games. That it'd take the closure of Nintendo itself for you to ever run the risk of losing what you bought.

So the quote about digital goods being tied to specific hardware is only in reference to the 3DS? Is that certain? If so, I'm glad. Thanks for the clarification.

It's mostly a matter of convenience, yes, but as you point out there's also the issue of the long term; I'd like to have some assurance that any digital content I purchase will work with nintendo systems down the line. I guess I'm not willing to assume that as a given yet. In the end, on the 3DS it's something I can shrug off if the content is offered at a low enough price.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess... But if they're family they can always pass the 3DS with the game one wants to play... Which I guess is a problem if one 3DS has different games more people want to play at once but eh, you can't differentiate between family and other people that would just attempt to share the games to pay less. Like if that was allowed we could have a GAF account that everyone donated a game or two on and everyone could play them, lol (ok GAF wouldn't do that I'm sure but other communities, online or local, could do this in small or large numbers, as long as they trusted each other not to change the password and keep it to themselves, lol, though that could also be avoided depending on the process needed to change password - like e-mail requirement - so one trustworthy person could be chosen to hold the keys to it)... And a normal account system could block the same functionality by only allowing it to be active on one system at a time so again you couldn't play more than one game tied to that account at the same time, even if you could do so on a different device. Like Sony allows a handful of systems (I think) it could be reduced to 1.

It's mostly a matter of convenience, yes, but as you point out there's also the issue of the long term; I'd like to have some assurance that any digital content I purchase will work with nintendo systems down the line. I guess I'm not willing to assume that as a given yet. In the end, on the 3DS it's something I can shrug off if the content is offered at a low enough price.
But an account you login to wouldn't guarantee future compatibility either, maybe your account would include the games but the new machine couldn't necessarily play them... Just as the current system didn't disallow that for the DSiWare which can be transferred to 3DS. Actually in that way the current system is the same in functionality, maybe you could do a transfer of the account to the next machine but again it might not play everything, like they could cut DSiWare support from 3DS2/4DS (lol) and only have 3DS backward compatibility in functionality, like the Wii U is cutting GameCube support but keeping Wii...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Claimed overseas 3DS support was rising, will catch up to japan by E3 so not worried about jp v. international performance
Most things in this presentation seems believable and current/forward thinking.

However, I will eat my hat if this is true unless they mean that in terms of A.) sheer existence of titles or B.) almost all Japanese supporting drying up to the point that Petz: Dogs and some b-tier/c-tier outsourced side games count as same quality support.

Edit:

Oh, oh, they probably mean Nintendo games.

You know, the clearest reading of Iwata's presentation would seem to say that downloadable "retail" titles will only be offered for sale at retailers -- and not the eShop. If that's not the case, then

43.jpg
and
44.jpg

make little to no sense.

The second image is shown "in contrast" to the first. The first would be Nintendo directly selling titles on the eShop. The second shows Nintendo not selling titles on the eShop.

To me that just says that they have to handle things like credit card fees when they do digital sales, whereas they sell a product to retailers and then the retailer handles everything else related to it once they own it.

Erethian

I think that has more to do with not being able to pass around SD cards with games, not that you can't perform system transfers anymore.

Yeah that's about how you can't pass a cartridge around to your family or friends once you're done with it.

Edit: Because there is no cartridge with a digital download copy.

jj984jj

Huh? Do system transfers still allow you to download games on the original system? I'm just pointing out you can't download a game you purchased on more than one system.

Kacho

Do we know that yet? Just heard about the MH news myself.

If so imma be sad again.

Here is the quote:

Regarding evergreen titles, “SUPER MARIO 3D LAND” and “Mario Kart 7” which were released in the last year-end have established themselves as popular titles in each country they are sold in around the world, and we will take various actions to maintain their vitality in the full fiscal term. In addition to these titles, we will support Capcom’s “Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) G” (Japanese title) selling well in Japan as an evergreen title. In other countries, we will keep vitalizing the titles, including “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D” and “nintendogs+cats,” as a must-buy with the purchase of the hardware.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me he's saying that Nintendo will continue to provide Monster Hunter titles on the 3DS in Japan because they sell extremely well there. While in other countries, they will continue providing Zelda and Nintendogs titles because they sell well in those territories.

Instro

Huh? Do system transfers still allow you to download games on the original system? I'm just pointing out you can't download a game you purchased on more than one system.

I must have misread your post a little. I thought you implied that you would not be able to get a new 3DS(i.e. a redesign) and transfer your DD titles over.

Van Owen

Banned
How fast would it be playing games off a USB HDD vs a disk?

Hopefully Nintendo has some good servers in place. I remember Wii downloads taking forever...

Tenck

When was the last time Nintendo revealed a price point at a E3?

We've always had some number to work with. It's always been $200-$250. With Wii U we have absolutely no idea what to expect. Even Iwata told us it wasn't going to be as cheap as their other consoles.

Something by E3 would have helped a lot of people with their purchasing decisions.

Erethian

Here is the quote:

Regarding evergreen titles, “SUPER MARIO 3D LAND” and “Mario Kart 7” which were released in the last year-end have established themselves as popular titles in each country they are sold in around the world, and we will take various actions to maintain their vitality in the full fiscal term. In addition to these titles, we will support Capcom’s “Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) G” (Japanese title) selling well in Japan as an evergreen title. In other countries, we will keep vitalizing the titles, including “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D” and “nintendogs+cats,” as a must-buy with the purchase of the hardware.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me he's saying that Nintendo will continue to provide Monster Hunter titles on the 3DS in Japan because they sell extremely well there. While in other countries, they will continue providing Zelda and Nintendogs titles because they sell well in those territories.
He's talking about how in Japan they released a MH3G bundle several months after launch to help promote long-term sales growth.

Pretty sure there is already a nintendogs bundle, but if not there soon will be.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
To me that just says that they have to handle things like credit card fees when they do digital sales, whereas they sell a product to retailers and then the retailer handles everything else related to it once they own it.

See, the problem is they Iwata says that the NORMAL way to do sales is figure A, but Nintendo is going to do figure B. Figure A is Nintendo selling directly to the consumer, Figure B is Nintendo -not- selling directly to the consumer.

I'm just confused as to how Iwata's point about retail sales doesn't flatly contradict the other statement about being able to purchase retail titles directly from the eShop.

Josh7289

Andrex can't be perma-banned, can he? He's too important :(

But on topic, good news all around on the digital front here. I have a Japanese 3DS so this should make it pretty easy to buy games now without having to pay import costs. Woohoo.

TheNatural

My Member!
We've always had some number to work with. It's always been $200-$250. With Wii U we have absolutely no idea what to expect. Even Iwata told us it wasn't going to be as cheap as their other consoles.

Something by E3 would have helped a lot of people with their purchasing decisions.

Anything above $300 would be a pretty bad idea I believe.

sfried

It seems that I'm not alone in my confusion. The lack of a true account based system for DRM, rather than the current hardware ID system, throws a big bucket of cold water on the prospect of digital games from nintendo for me. I was really excited about it until I thought about this, too. Also, the lack of an account system on Wii U would cripple any attempt at an social online service similar to their competitors. On a handheld I can somewhat understand this, but on a home console, multiple accounts are the standard.
Didn't they just mention a while back that WiiU will allow for multiple accounts?

Instro

Looking at the transcript, there's nothing at all about MH3G and FE13 "globally". The heck was this guy tweeting?

By transcript, are you talking about the presentation notes on the Nintendo site? That doesn't have everything that Iwata said at the actual presentation no? Considering it was released when the presentation started anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
See, the problem is they Iwata says that the NORMAL way to do sales is figure A, but Nintendo is going to do figure B. Figure A is Nintendo selling directly to the consumer, Figure B is Nintendo -not- selling directly to the consumer.

I'm just confused as to how Iwata's point about retail sales doesn't flatly contradict the other statement about being able to purchase retail titles directly from the eShop.

Okay then yes, that doesn't make much sense.

Kacho

He's talking about how in Japan they released a MH3G bundle several months after launch to help promote long-term sales growth.

Pretty sure there is already a nintendogs bundle, but if not there soon will be.

Ah, yes. That makes sense.

But an account you login to wouldn't guarantee future compatibility either, maybe your account would include the games but the new system couldn't necessarily play them... Just as the current system didn't disallow that for the DSiWare which can be transferred to 3DS. Actually in that way the current system if the same in functionality, maybe you could do a transfer of the account to the next system but again it might not play everything, like they could cut DSiWare support from 3DS2/4DS (lol) and only have 3DS backward compatibility in functionality, like the Wii U is cutting GameCube support but keeping Wii...

I realize there are no guarantees, but the presence of an account system would provide more flexibility and catch up to the standard of their competition, which would be reassuring. Of course there are already counterexamples, with sony not yet making digital PS1 titles playable on the Vita, and nintendo making virtual console titles per-platform so far. I think that nintendo can and should do better.

I think they're trying to say that retail will still be their major focus to keep the retailers happy, and they're muttering under their breath "and we're selling them on the eShop too" but hoping the retailers don't notice. They're trying too hard to say two things at once and it's not communicating properly.

fates

In addition to these titles, we will support Capcom’s “Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) G” (Japanese title) selling well in Japan as an evergreen title. In other countries, we will keep vitalizing the titles, including “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D” and “nintendogs+cats,” as a must-buy with the purchase of the hardware.

... uh, ouch. To me that sounds like they are keeping MH3G in Japan while focusing on the latter games here.

Javier

I hope they drop the price on certain retail games and put them on eShop. Pilotwings Resort isn't a game I would buy on cart, but if they drop it to, say, $15, I might buy a digital copy.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Okay then yes, that doesn't make much sense.

Well, Iwata does seem to directly say "Naturally, consumers can digitally buy packaged software at the Nintendo eShop" -- so I'm just going to have to assume it was an unclear translation with regards to the images. That, or a poor image choice... the "Nintendo" model should show Nintendo selling directly as well as retailers selling.

Oh, another fun thought... wouldn't the other bit about wholesale prices being higher for retailer digital sales (due to lack of risk) mean that, ultimately, cartridges would have greater discounts than download codes?

(I was still vaguely pondering the wild notion of NCL allowing folks to download -all- old titles on their Club Nintendo registered accounts. I mean, only the first owner would have a code...)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, Iwata does seem to directly say "Naturally, consumers can digitally buy packaged software at the Nintendo eShop" -- so I'm just going to have to assume it was an unclear translation with regards to the images. That, or a poor image choice... the "Nintendo" model should show Nintendo selling directly as well as retailers selling.

That would make the most sense to me, since it would be similar to buying XBLA cards at retail or DLC codes from GameStop.

Erethian

No, like Nirolak says, he's just pointing out the differences between the two distribution methods.

Alexios

That would make the most sense to me, since it would be similar to buying XBLA cards at retail or DLC codes from GameStop.
Well it seems he essentially did say that in the end, since he added eShop purchasing will be possible.

Just emphasised the retailer friendly part with the images to not piss them off PSP Go style. Maybe.

Kazerei

Banned

From the text it sounds like you can purchase directly from the eShop, no need to visit a retailer. Maybe this image is more accurate.

Qpzo9.png

Ha, did anyone else notice this?

Iwata said:
Nintendo has never conducted and will never conduct what is now widely known (in Japan) as a “gacha-type charging business” (capsule toy vending machine business), which asks consumers to pay money without knowing what kind of item shall emerge as a result of their payment, even if such a business model might temporarily yield high profitability.

News just emerging today:

Destructoid said:
Remember all those "mystery toy" lines in the 90s, where you'd buy unknown capsules that would sometimes dissolve in water? Many toy manufactures are still making them actually, preying on our child-like sense of curiosity -- now, Nintendo seems to be in on the fun. Starting today, Club Nintendo members can now grab "Surprise Me Boxes" for 300 coins apiece. It looks like they're already sold out, but keep the page bookmarked in case they restock.

:p

As tempting as it is to believe Nintendo has actually managed to do something as foolhardy and backasswards as you suggest, a much more logical interpretation is that the two charts are just there to emphasize how Nintendo's "digital at the retailer" initiative differs from traditional DD and not to actually imply anything about the eShop business they already have running.

Alexios

Coins aren't money though.

But I'm sure they'll eventually do that too... Like some digital Pokemon TCG.

It's hard to think of all future possibilities when you just want to make a consumer friendly sounding statement in the moment.

jj984jj

I guess... But if they're family they can always pass the 3DS with the game one wants to play... Which I guess is a problem if one 3DS has different games more people want to play at once but eh, you can't differentiate between family and other people that would just attempt to share the games to pay less. Like if that was allowed we could have a GAF account that everyone donated a game or two on and everyone could play them, lol (ok GAF wouldn't do that I'm sure but other communities, online or local, could do this in small or large numbers, as long as they trusted each other not to change the password and keep it to themselves, lol)... And a normal account system could block the same functionality by only allowing it to be active on one system at a time so again you couldn't play more than one game tied to that account at the same time, even if you could do so on a different device.
I wouldn't expect Nintendo to go anywhere near a DRM free approach, but this is pretty much a step closer to what Sony offers except still not quite as good as that.

Top Bottom