• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2DS' two screens are one single screen covered by plastic

Nose Master

So, they must also gate off the bottom screen, right? Sidebars, I mean. Cause it's slightly smaller? This is such a weird decision.

Seik

Banned
You know what? I think it would sell more if that plastic bar wouldn't be there.

Concept in OP is great, why aren't they doing this instead. >_<

linkboy

I'm honestly not getting the outrage over this, it's not like every 3DS\XL will bust into flames at the moment this thing gets released.

It's nothing more than a cheap version of the 3DS geared towards kids, nothing more.

Honestly, if this was announced a few weeks ago, I just would have waited since we bought a second 3DS XL for my wife and this would have suited her needs a lot better (but I got my black XL out of it, so I'm not complaining).

linkboy

Their next console will be a handheld that plugs into a TV dock/wireless HDMI.

One platform to buy, one platform to develop games for. Done deal.

Exactly, think the Wii U, but in reverse.

I'd go for a system setup like this. The handheld connects to a dock that hooks up to a TV and you can play using other handhelds (using the Wii U wireless) or a Pro U controller via bluetooth.

Withnail

I think this is interesting and quite a clever way of getting the cost down, not only in terms of components but also production.

Certainly explains the changed form factor.

I guess the screen split is handled at a low level and to devs it works exactly the same as a dual screen setup.

Kworn

Banned
Is it just me or does this system look like cheap shit?

I would also have the overwhelming need to want to bend it in half.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm honestly not getting the outrage over this, it's not like every 3DS\XL will bust into flames at the moment this thing gets released.

I think many are confusing outrage with comments that reflect head scratching towards Nintendo.

The 3DS was going to get a sales increase with Pokemon anyway. I don't see why it's smart to release another device that will further fragment the 3DS line, cause confusion in various areas, plus possibly lead the way for devs to not even make 3D features for 3DS games.

linkboy

Is it just me or does this system look like cheap shit?

I would also have the overwhelming need to want to bend it in half.

That's exactly what it is, its a cheap 3DS (minus the 3D) geared towards kids.

Bitching about this is like bitching about a Nabi 2 Android tablet compared to a Nexus 7. It's a cheap tablet geared towards kids.

I think many are confusing outrage with comments that reflect head scratching towards Nintendo.

The 3DS was going to get a sales increase with Pokemon anyway. I don't see why it's smart to release another device that will further fragment the 3DS, cause confusion in various areas, plus possibly lead the way for devs to not even make 3D features for games.

Nintendo warns that the 3D on the 3DS isn't recommended for kids under 7. That's going to turn a lot of parents off from purchasing it for their kids (I'm well aware that you can turn it off via settings and slider). Parents buy their kids handhelds to keep them occupied on car trips (as an example).

If parents are worried that the 3D of the 3DS is harmful to their kids, they're not going to buy the system.

That's what this system is designed for. It's a low cost system to allow parents to feel comfortable buying a Nintendo handheld for their kids.

Would probably buy it had it not been for the touch screen being so far away from the buttons/stick.

Can't imagine playing RE:Mercenaries 3D on this for example, where you need to move your fingers quickly between screen and stick/buttons for ammo reload and herbs.

Bgamer90

Banned
Nintendo warns that the 3D on the 3DS isn't recommended for kids under 7. That's going to turn a lot of parents off from purchasing it for their kids (I'm well aware that you can turn it off via settings and slider). Parents buy their kids handhelds to keep them occupied on car trips (as an example).

If parents are worried that the 3D of the 3DS is harmful to their kids, they're not going to buy the system.

That's what this system is designed for. It's a low cost system to allow parents to feel comfortable buying a Nintendo handheld for their kids.

And this is where effective communication about the parental features on the 3DS can come in.

I just don't see why it's necessary to introduce another new system for that reason, especially if all signs are pointing to 3DS sales increasing after Pokemon is released anyway.

It's putting more time/money into a problem that I feel could be solved with less effort.

RanoNL

s94y.png

1377768138.jpg

If it's one screen, it's still under 5 inch. So no Wii U gamepad screens used here.

According to Eurogamer both screens have touchscreen, but the top one has plastic over it too.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...isplays-are-actually-a-single-big-touchscreen
But what I meant was that it would be confusing to a user if the touchscreen area just stopped halfway up the screen, it makes sense to separate it away from the non-touch area, so it's clearer.

Then someone should explain eurogamer how a resistive Touch Panel works. I wonder if their expertise with DF is on a similar level.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

It's nothing more than a cheap version of the 3DS geared towards kids, nothing more.

Honestly, if this was announced a few weeks ago, I just would have waited since we bought a second 3DS XL for my wife and this would have suited her needs a lot better (but I got my black XL out of it, so I'm not complaining).

This.
But I'm used to overreaction againts N proposals, you know
The thing that buffles me is this "unique screen" fact: I tought this was done also to use spare parts of the previous DS, instead they are using a brand new screen

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Fragmentation. Fragmentation, fragmentation, fragmentation.
Should have been first post. This is the most important reason not to expose the different features as far as I'm concerned.

1377768138.jpg

If it's one screen, it's still under 5 inch. So no Wii U gamepad screens used here.
That's a clever interpretation, and reusing parts to increase number of units ordered from the manufacturer (reducing price per unit) is a very Nintendo thing to do if it were correct.

linkboy

And this is where effective communication about the parental features on the 3DS can come in.

I just don't see why it's necessary to introduce another new system for that reason, especially if all signs are pointing to 3DS sales increasing after Pokemon is released anyway.

It's putting more time/money into a problem that I feel could be solved with less effort.

You're forgetting the price point as well. People have spoken (with their wallets) and pretty much told Nintendo that the 3DS @ 169 and the XL @ 199 are to expensive to buy for their kids.

Nintendo priced themselves out of that market with the 3DS. The original DS launched at $149, as was the GBA. The 3DS on the other hand, was bumped up to $250.

By pricing the 3DS at $250, it turned a lot of parents off (sticking with the different DS models that were out), but it also prevented Nintendo from getting down to the $129 price that the GBA and DS both hit when the revisions came out.

The 2DS get the 3DS hardware into that $129 range that history has shown parents are willing to buy.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You're forgetting the price point as well. People have spoken (with their wallets) and pretty much told Nintendo that the 3DS @ 169 and the XL @ 199 are to expensive to buy for their kids.

Nintendo priced themselves out of that market with the 3DS. The original DS launched at $149, as was the GBA. The 3DS on the other hand, was bumped up to $250.

By pricing the 3DS at $250, it turned a lot of parents off (sticking with the different DS models that were out), but it also prevented Nintendo from getting down to the $129 price that the GBA and DS both hit when the revisions came out.

The 2DS get the 3DS hardware into that $129 range that history has shown parents are willing to buy.

Also, in the past when introducing a budget model Nintendo used to remove backwards compatibility to reduce costs. The fact they haven't this time is very telling I think.

disap.ed

1377768138.jpg

The bottom screen is 320x240, right?
The upper screen has to be 400x240 if it is infact using only one screen, no?
Means half the horizontal resolution of the 3DS.
Or aren't games rendered in 800x240 in 2D mode?

EDIT: Screen is probably 400x514 or something like this judging by pixel count calculations

Burai

shitonmychest57

It really isn't. There's cost savings all across the board with this thing.

1 less speaker
Smaller capacity battery
No hinge and ribbon assembly
1 big screen in theory is cheaper than 2.
2D screens are certainly cheaper than 3D ones
They'll sell more cases to protect the screens

This is going to be a high margin product compared to the existing hardware. They'd far rather kids bought this than the real thing as it'll save them a fortune at manufacturing.

M3d10n

The single screen will make it easier to capture video off it, since there'll be only one flat cable to hijack.

Sinfamy

Couldn't Nintendo technically just eliminate the Wii U console completely?

Just shrink down the Wii U hardware and put it inside a slightly redisigned gamepad, have it be compatible with cartriges for 3DS/DS, elimante shitty 3D, and release a chromecast style receiver for the tv.
That way you take your console everywhere, not just nearby the console, and you combine the 3DS + Wii U in one.

Bgamer90

Banned
It really isn't. There's cost savings all across the board with this thing.

1 less speaker
Smaller capacity battery
No hinge and ribbon assembly
1 big screen in theory is cheaper than 2.
2D screens are certainly cheaper than 3D ones
They'll sell more cases to protect the screens

This is going to be a high margin product compared to the existing hardware. They'd far rather kids bought this than the real thing as it'll save them a fortune at manufacturing.

I was mainly referring to the problem of 3D being bad for kids under 7 years old.

I definitely understand how profitable the system will more than likely be due to how many cost saving measures it has. I just feel that Nintendo already has so much on their hands and that they will have even more to deal with if this system doesn't do as well as intended.

Using one screen and bordering them off just kinda hinted to us what the future 3DS backwards compatibility would look like for their future handhelds.

Just one screen with some black borders.

GamerJM

Banned
I really, really hope they don't make 2DS exclusive features in games. Mainly because I don't want to use the thing when I can be using a 3DS.

As it's using one screen, is there any reason they didn't make the lower touch area the same size as the upper? Couldn't they have just scaled up, or is the ratio wrong?

Mr Swine

Banned
I really, really hope they don't make 2DS exclusive features in games. Mainly because I don't want to use the thing when I can be using a 3DS.

2DS exlusive what? The 2DS has the same features (minus 3D screen) as the 3DS. So no, there won't be any exlusive features on the 2DS

Burai

shitonmychest57
I was mainly referring to the problem of 3D being bad for kids under 7 years old.

I definitely understand how profitable the system will more than likely be due to how many cost saving measures it has. I just feel that Nintendo already has so much on their hands and that they will have even more to deal with if this system doesn't do as well as intended.

Yeah, but your idea of "just show parents how to use parental controls" doesn't make the existing 3DS any cheaper and doesn't make shipping a load of high-cost screens to young children who won't use the function any less stupid.

Besides, parents don't really tend to set up controls unless they are more tech savvy than their kids.

As it's using one screen, is there any reason they didn't make the lower touch area the same size as the upper? Couldn't they have just scaled up, or is the ratio wrong?

Because it'll screw up any game where the action moves between the two and it'll turn the image into a blurry mess.

Juice

I can't believe no one's asked this:

Isn't the DPI of the two screens on the 3DS slightly different (with the top screen being higher DPI?) If so, how the hell does this work?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Just shrink down the Wii U hardware and put it inside a slightly redisigned gamepad, have it be compatible with cartriges for 3DS/DS, elimante shitty 3D, and release a chromecast style receiver for the tv.
That way you take your console everywhere, not just nearby the console, and you combine the 3DS + Wii U in one.

give this man a promotion

/sarcasm

I can't believe no one's asked this:

Isn't the DPI of the two screens on the 3DS slightly different (with the top screen being higher DPI?) If so, how the hell does this work?

No.
Well... yes.

The top screen is 800x240 but the pixels are twice as tall as they are wide. In 2d mode these pixels are doubled up to effectively 400x240. Bottom screen is also 240 tall and they're both the same height.

qq more

No, they can't. There is a lot of things that makes this impossible right now.

big_erk

I was waiting for someone to point this out. The 3d in the 3DS was always recommended for people age 7 and over. By removing the 3d Nintendo has given parents an attractive option for their little tikes, without the ability for them to sneak and turn on the 3d. The form factor is perfect for little hands, and it comes out on the same day as Pokemon. Do the math people. It's genius. Not to mention pirates are going to love it (I mean eye-patch wearing pirates, not he other kind. You know, one eye, no depth perception.)

I think this thing is a cool idea. Buy it if you have a kid who wants to play Pokemon but you don't want their dirty little hands grubbing up your nice 3DS. Everybody wins.

qq more

They won't because of fragmentation, they're not that stupid. Besides, it's literally just a 3Dless 3DS functionality-wise. Nothing more.

The 3DS was going to get a sales increase with Pokemon anyway. I don't see why it's smart to release another device that will further fragment the 3DS line, cause confusion in various areas, plus possibly lead the way for devs to not even make 3D features for 3DS games.
That's actually a near idea and one I would be excited to see. It's arguably a trajectory of mobile phones and tablets as well.

Top Bottom