• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2DS' two screens are one single screen covered by plastic

Coxswain

As it's using one screen, is there any reason they didn't make the lower touch area the same size as the upper? Couldn't they have just scaled up, or is the ratio wrong?

Generally with an LCD screen, you need to be able to scale up by a natural-number factor, or the image comes out looking like total blurry ass. The bottom screen is 320x240, so you'd need at least 640x480 to scale up by doubling the dimensions. And even if it were possible, for both screens to be the same physical size, you would need two separate screens that have completely different DPIs.

So it's basically doomed to forever look a little bit weird with two differently-sized screens.

(Incidentally, I think it's still a real possibility that these things are using Wii U Gamepad screens. A Gamepad screen flipped on its side would have a resolution of 480x854, and the top screen needs to have a horizontal resolution of 400 pixels. We know that they're already masking off unused sections of the middle and bottom of the screen to create the illusion of having two screens - how hard could it be to mask off 40 pixels on either side of it in addition to that?)

monome

easier for consummers to have 1 interface.

and Nintendo is probably trying to figure out what to do with the next generation.
this low-price 2DS will provide them with feedback while expanding their software sales.

Ty4on

Ahh.

Weird.

Bunch of people said it had the PPI of a 800x240 screen which is what made it weird. Technically true, but not for for what you see. It has to double the pixel count for 3D because it has to send a different image to each eye.

zigg

Couldn't Nintendo technically just eliminate the Wii U console completely?

Just shrink down the Wii U hardware and put it inside a slightly redisigned gamepad, have it be compatible with cartriges for 3DS/DS, elimante shitty 3D, and release a chromecast style receiver for the tv.
That way you take your console everywhere, not just nearby the console, and you combine the 3DS + Wii U in one.
You forgot about the car battery on a dolly you'd have to pull behind you.

Yes, I'm being slightly hyperbolic

Because the profit margin of the 2DS is going to be way higher than from the original 3DS or the XL.

The 2DS is a pure scheme of rationalization
Profit margin will only be important if they manage to sell that abomination, I think most people would buy a regular 3DS instead.

Anteo

Profit margin will only be important if they manage to sell that abomination, I think most people would buy a regular 3DS instead.

Yes but parents of little kids are not likely to spend money for a og 3ds. So this one is a good proposition for them, they are the target after all. A cheap, non-3d portable (for little kids so parents arent worried about them figuring out how to turn it on) and plays the last iteration of pokemon. Profit to the max.

kingkaiser

I understand that but it would be a great way to kick-start the new design.

Yes, and I think there is good chance that they will offer a bundle for the release.

The two announced color versions (black-red and white-blue) of the 2DS are allready matching quite good to the two pokemon games.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This product makes me hope that the next-gen Nintendo handheld will be a gaming tablet.

Well, my eyebrows were raised when the salesbunny in Streetpass Plaza whipped out a tablet to show me what the new games looked like, so who knows?

The horrible truth of it all, is that if Nintendo had an account system... I'd buy it. I couldn't commit to something like this, but it looks nice as a swap out to keep things fresh, ya know?

EDIT: Also as a spare console for Mario Kart.

The horrible truth of it all, is that if Nintendo had an account system... I'd buy it. I couldn't commit to something like this, but it looks nice as a swap out to keep things fresh, ya know?

EDIT: Also as a spare console for Mario Kart.

would totally get one if there was an XL version.

would totally get one if there was an XL version.

Honestly that's why I'd get one. I have an XL, but I love me 3D. I'd swap out since this would be the smaller, sharper screen, so when I want omfg density, I'd have this. I'm essentially all Digital, so I wouldn't be able to play most of my games on one, which is really what hampers it. I'm not complaining about Nintendo's shit here, just saying if I could just swap back and forth, or do a transfer in 5 minutes just flipping the SD cards, I'd be all over it.

Top Bottom