• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Direct 2013.2.21 - 8 pm Japan Time (11 am GMT, 6 am EST)

I've come to accept that they are leaving the WiiU to die. The 3DS seems to be getting better though, they know the score when it comes to the handheld bizz
3DS has been since 2011 its 2013 and now gaining steam. I could understand your views because I am a bit puzzled by Nintendos motives lately too but everything takes time.

MrT-Tar

Iwata walks out dressed as Cloud, including an absurdly large Buster Sword. Says "Final Fantasy VIIr", drops the mic and walks away. A single trailer concludes the presentation.

That would be E3 2004 level of emotion and it would be awesome.

Personally, as with every ND since, I'm hoping for another betralytonne/megatonne like Bayonetta 2

daakusedo

From what I wanted to see in the previous one, obviously there won't be any golden sun here, but treasure game still go on.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
At first I was like 5:00 am lol and then I realized it's almost 4. Looks like i'll stay up and get my fix.

BriBri

Damn, I have a conference to leave for in a few mins:( Probably games we mostly know about but more Gyrozetter would be ace!

Jaagen

Funny that it starts exactly 12 hours after the Sony one. It's during my lunch break as well, which is nice compared to staying up until over midnight last night(was worth it though)

duckroll

They will probably have a new trailer for SMT4, announce the release date, and show the limited edition 3DS. They'll probably also have the new trailer for the 6th Layton game, which went online earlier.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've come to accept that they are leaving the WiiU to die. The 3DS seems to be getting better though, they know the score when it comes to the handheld bizz

They're most definitely not leaving the Wii U to die. Most of their internal studios have shifted over to the Wii U, meanwhile 3DS titles seem to be handled by collaborative studios and subsidiaries.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - Next Level Games + Nintendo
Smash Bros. 3DS - Namco Bandai + Nintendo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate - Mercury Steam + Konami
Ace Attorney 5 - Capcom
Pokemon X and Y - GameFreak + Nintendo
Monster Hunter 4 - Capcom
Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins - Travelller's Tales + Nintendo
Donkey Kong Country 3DS - Retro? Port, anyway
Shin Megami Tensei 4 - Atlus
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - AlphaDream + Nintendo
Mario Golf 3DS - Camelot + Nintendo

Nintendo's major internal branches are busy with Mario Kart Wii U, Super Mario Wii U, Monolith with X, Retro with who-knows-what-else, and the Zelda team with Zelda Wii U (and maybe the Wind Waker port).

When it comes to third parties, I think Nintendo's in the unfortunate position of just having to deal with the situation they've got. They're a limited company with finite resources. If third parties stop giving a shit, even if it's Nintendo's fault, Nintendo can't wave a wand and solve everything. They can only make X amount of games at any one time, and have Y amount of partnerships (see: The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2).

With the 3DS, the line-up looks good because it's doing well in Japan. Developers are interested it in now, so Nintendo doesn't really have to do anything. They'll make games as it is (arguably) the portable system of choice.

But I also think it's worth remembering that the 3DS is doing really well in Japan only. Sales are still fairly lukewarm in both the US and Europe and outside of a few spikes due to major titles I don't see them getting much better. Japan might love the 3DS, but the rest of the world doesn't.

Kenka

That SMT IV boxart...

tumblr_m2s4ukgA4D1rs7t9wo1_500.gif

But I also think it's worth remembering that the 3DS is doing really well in Japan only. Sales are still fairly lukewarm in both the US and Europe and outside of a few spikes due to major titles I don't see them getting much better. Japan might love the 3DS, but the rest of the world doesn't.
They have a trump card in the VC: if Nintendo lets publishers manage their release schedules and their own price policies, we could see great games from the past being available in DL form for cheap and in revamped form. I think that's one way to attract the customer. Also, they should ask more from major 3rd parties when it comes to ad hoc multi and online multi (see FIFA, CoD or Madden for example).

Peru

Well in countries like Italy and Spain the 3DS is selling faster than the DS and the French and German software sales are good (3 titles in top 10 of 2012 in both countries). In mainland Europe it's established well for new big titles to take off.

serplux

They're most definitely not leaving the Wii U to die. Most of their internal studios have shifted over to the Wii U, meanwhile 3DS titles seem to be handled by collaborative studios and subsidiaries.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - Next Level Games + Nintendo
Smash Bros. 3DS - Namco Bandai + Nintendo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate - Mercury Steam + Konami
Ace Attorney 5 - Capcom
Pokemon X and Y - GameFreak + Nintendo
Monster Hunter 4 - Capcom
Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins - Travelller's Tales + Nintendo
Donkey Kong Country 3DS - Retro? Port, anyway
Shin Megami Tensei 4 - Atlus
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - AlphaDream + Nintendo
Mario Golf 3DS - Camelot + Nintendo

Nintendo's major internal branches are busy with Mario Kart Wii U, Super Mario Wii U, Monolith with X, Retro with who-knows-what-else, and the Zelda team with Zelda Wii U (and maybe the Wind Waker port).

When it comes to third parties, I think Nintendo's in the unfortunate position of just having to deal with the situation they've got. They're a limited company with finite resources. If third parties stop giving a shit, even if it's Nintendo's fault, Nintendo can't wave a wand and solve everything. They can only make X amount of games at any one time, and have Y amount of partnerships (see: The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2).

With the 3DS, the line-up looks good because it's doing well in Japan. Developers are interested it in now, so Nintendo doesn't really have to do anything. They'll make games as it is (arguably) the portable system of choice.

They're definitely hurrying to catch up in terms of HD development; they have the 3DS lineup for this year secure worldwide, and they're probably going to be releasing one or two of their most important franchises (Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Retro is what's feasible) while trying to maintain Nintendo quality.

I think they might also have a couple 3DS games for this year that are pretty big yet unknown. For one, we don't know what HAL is doing; they're probably working on a Kirby game for something (or both systems), and that fabled Zelda 3DS needs to come out (it would work really well as a title to go along with the Animal Crossing/Pokemon X and Y boost this holiday). Grezzo might have been given the chance to make an original game, and we haven't heard anything from them since OoT 3D.

Taker666

Great to see so much 3DS support. But I want to see some WiiU love, it feels so neglected, the poor thing.

To be fair they had a very strong Wii U direct only 4 weeks ago. The poor sales and negativity surrounding them..plus the PS4 reveal hype... just seemed to make everyone forget about that.

Doczu

Too bad i'm sitting at work today :( no direct for me :( It would b nice if someone hosted some screengrabs from various games (idk on which servers, sometimes i see them, sometimes i don't)...

Jaagen

To be fair they had a very strong Wii U direct only 4 weeks ago. The poor sales and negativity surrounding them..plus the PS4 reveal hype... just seemed to make everyone forget about that.

We need a third party Wii U direct to announce GTA 5 port or something.

StayDead

Has DQ really become so unimportant that they'll reveal the next main entry in some random pre-recorded video?

Eh? These are far from random. Some of the biggest announcements for Nintendo these past 2 years have been on directs (see Megaten IV, all the Wii U games, Bayonetta 2)

one_kill

It's only been a month since they had their Wii U Nintendo Direct. Give it some time before conjuring such a thought.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Eh? These are far from random. Some of the biggest announcements for Nintendo these past 2 years have been on directs (see Megaten IV, all the Wii U games, Bayonetta 2)

SMTIV wasn't revealed in Nintendo Direct, it was in Famitsu first. And that being said all the games you're talking about will not be muti-million selling games.

serplux

Has DQ really become so unimportant that they'll reveal the next main entry in some random pre-recorded video?

On the contrary, the popularity of DQ only seems to keep getting higher. Nintendo did reveal a new Pokemon installment on one of these things, you know. But I seriously doubt it, Squeenix usually likes to build a lot of hype before a DQ announcement. But if it was DQXI, I would laugh my ass off at the timing of this. It would be such a mean move by Nintendo/Squeenix.

Nohar

Well, it can't be less interesting than the PS4 presentation (which was really "meh" for me - olol SquareTrollEnix, see you at E3 ! *sigh* Why do they persist in disappointing me ?).

Let's hope that we will see new interesting games.

Glass Rebel

A new mainline DQ entry won't happen today.... It's bound to come to 3DS though with SpotPass and all that jazz.

38min to go.

duckroll

Maybe you don't know how DQ works in Japan, but when a new numbered DQ game gets announced, its a huge media event with a proper press conference hosted by Square Enix. It's not going to be something given to a platform holder just for their promotion stuff. :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Can someone check NicoNico to see if they've updated with the event's length? Thanks :D

m0t0k1

After falling asleep during the ps4 press (it was just too late for me). I am now ready for the 3ds direct. It is at noon so i am okay to watch. Lets go rune factory 5

Kenka

Good. No Nintendo + 33 minutes = good things can come out.
  • New Taiko no Tatsujin
  • New Kanji Training with 3D effect
  • DL games
  • CastleVania
  • a Tales game maybe
  • how third party want to make use of the Nintendo App for iOS and Android
  • Monolith Game, hum ?
I would assume that's what we could reasonably expect. BD 2 would be nice.

Bravely Default 2 incoming!
Baten Kaitos 3DS!
Fixed. At least I hope.

Top Bottom