• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS eshop official site (Japan) + press releases

CaVaYeRo

hmmm I see no mention of the 3DSWare brand, I wonder if they got rid of it and will just say "3DS games on the eShop".

herod

GAF A60-Rim A said:
man this was a painful two months of playing no games that worked on this stupid device thank GOD finally zelda and eshop are coming out i dont know why i bought a 3DS really but finally its now somewhat worthwhile i don't get why nintendo released it early to please fans when the crappy launch wouldnt have pleased anybody but oh well finally it's somewhat acceptable but im really only looking forward to ngp as that should be the better device
.!,'!'.

iirate

I just realized how badly I want a 3DS to play $4 ROM dumps.

However, it doesn't matter to me; I might love the Game Boy more than the SNES...

Thoraxes said:
Also, I pray for a release of Kirby's Pinball Land. It's just plain incredible. If the NA launch is anything close to this, i'll probably pick up 3 or so games. Classics.

Yes, I need Kirby's Pinball and Dreamland 2 for sure.

wrowa

I love how Nintendo's pricing is isolated from the rest of the world. It's like they're living in a vacuum.

Morokh

Well Flash was highly unlikely to begin with.

I just hope Excitebike come free for Europe too, and that games release on a reall regular basis.

Darryl

Banned
bah, i don't find any of these launch titles that amazing. i can't wait till they release 3D Link's awakening :/

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
wrowa said:
I love how Nintendo's pricing is isolated from the rest of the world. It's like they're living in a vacuum.
Classic titles in comparable platforms aren't that much cheaper - the only reason for them to lower the price would be if the same content would be avaiable on othe devices way cheaper - but you won't get Super Mario Land on any other dl platform.

People keep expecting iOS prices....

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/vc/index.html

Baseball (Game Boy) is the only title that is 300 yen, actually. The rest are all 400 yen. I wonder if america will follow suit. It looks like no VC day one purchase for me. The only things I'll be downloading are Excitebike 3D Classics, The Browser, and a bunch of art style DSi ware games (maybe other DSi stuff as well). Hoping they'll allow me to transfer games from my JP DSi but I doubt it.

Neo Child

Banned
Wonder if DSiWare games will look non-weird on the 3DS (like DS games look like theyve been blurred then sharpened).

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Am I the only one who loved that Baseball game on Gameboy?

I had a guy called FUKU, how could you not!

Luigiv

Neo Child said:
Wonder if DSiWare games will look non-weird on the 3DS (like DS games look like theyve been blurred then sharpened).
DSiWare games will be just like DS games. Either upscaled or letterboxed, your choice.

swerve

Not only is the content fairly uninspiring, but the presentation of it suggests there has been no great change in approach from the DS/Wii era online promotion tactics.

ie, I can't believe they are just plodding along as they were, after saying how they understand that they were failing at online.

No messaging? No facebook integration (despite the DSi having that)? No YouTube 3D viewer?

So many things they could have done to make this amazing. Instead it's a (well needed) hefty upgrade to the shop system, and a browser. Arguably, with pictochat, facebook uploads, and certainly with FlipNote Studio, DSi was far more 'online' than the upgraded 3DS will be.

Sigh.

cw_sasuke

swerve said:
Not only is the content fairly uninspiring, but the presentation of it suggests there has been no great change in approach from the DS/Wii era online promotion tactics.

ie, I can't believe they are just plodding along as they were, after saying how they understand that they were failing at online.

No messaging? No facebook integration (despite the DSi having that)? No YouTube 3D viewer?

So many things they could have done to make this amazing. Instead it's a (well needed) hefty upgrade to the shop system, and a browser. Arguably, with pictochat, facebook uploads, and certainly with FlipNote Studio, DSi was far more 'online' than the upgraded 3DS will be.

Sigh.

Yes, this will be probably the last fw update and new functions the 3ds will ever recieve in its lifetime.

swerve

cw_sasuke said:
Yes, this will be probably the last fw update and new functions the 3ds will ever recieve in its lifetime.

Yeah, but this shows no change of direction, no lessons learned.

Wow so they actually weren't working on messaging or online Pictochat or anything else in 'secret' hence the delay?
Plus there's not even a video / E3 channel where we can watch the reveals in 3D?
Or no Zelda or Pokedex in the store?

It literally is just a (likely) slow browser and a (likely) overpriced store?

I'm still excited that it's something new but huge huge missed opportunity!

PS: am I the only one who loves how the guy says "Nintendo 3DS" in the Japanese videos? Heh

Amir0x

Banned
No Link's Awakening, damn it. The only GB game I would ever have any interest in revisiting :(

Other than that, guess I'll be waiting if that's all there is to the lineup. Really poor.

m.i.s.

Banned
confused said:
So, what's the reason for no VC NES/SNES titles ?

Many will be "re-mastered" in 3D - like ExciteBike for instance. I think this is better, it's full-screen in true 3DS widesreen aspect ratio - but retaining the sprite graphics.

Nintendo showed a video of past 8/16-bit classics re-mastered in this way. I think the 8-bit Super Mario Bros and Punchout and 16-bit Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island were among them.

swerve

I HAVE FURY.

One positive point is that it will allow us to jump from spotpass notifications straight to the store. The store does look nice to use.

But there is no Killer App to drive people to update. ExciteBike really is a bit of a joke (I love the game, but seriously if you want people to want your shop, use a game *everyone* wants).

This has also significantly reduced my excitement for Stream. They really need to start smashing me over the head with cool stuff which shows they have some enthusiasm for digital distribution.

Anyone who thinks they have a 'new direction' or renewed focus on the 'hardcore' or whatever, can clearly now see that is just journalists interpreting specs and software lineup, not Nintendo marketing.

cw_sasuke

swerve said:
Yeah, but this shows no change of direction, no lessons learned.
This update was always about the eShop launch and getting that infrastructure ready - just because you expected them to put everything out in just update doesnt mean they planned it that way.

They have a diffrent price models for games of the same plattform, will offer sales and freebies from time to time and the shop does look way better and will be faster than the dsi/wii ware shops. This is a great upgrade, with SD card support from day 1 there arent any storage problems around anymore. Imo its a upgrade.

Mafro

confused said:
So, what's the reason for no VC NES/SNES titles ?

Because this is - essentially - a "Virtual Handheld", so it's all about classic handheld games on the go, with a limited selection of re-done 3D Classics (love that logo, BTW).

VC (Wii) = classic console games on your home system
VC (3DS) = classic handheld games on your handheld

re: The apparently limited range of features etc., I think it would be worth waiting to see what happens at E3. The video and website here seem to be a very brief overview, showing off things we already know about (with the exception of the launch titles), and I suspect that there may be more to the eShop. Nintendo are bloody good at not showing off things that everyone expects them to, burying them in post-show PR, or not revealing exactly how they work until release.

...or they could have just gone as barebones on this as it seems, with a neat, upgraded-but-still-basic shopping channel and little else :-(

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It looks like Nintendo's SPD Division is in charge of 3D Classics. The first batch they co-developed with Arika. And it also looks like Nintendo is handling the third party 3D Classics like Xevious.

wrowa

cw_sasuke said:
Considering how long it took them to release this firmware, it will probably take them years to release a firmware that actually adds more than a store that they were teasing for months and an outsourced internet browser.

I completely agree with swerve here; Nintendo seems to ignore all of the current trends in the handheld department. Thinking that they can just follow the path set by the DS is naive. They aren't offering enough for the casuals of today -- and let's face it, they are using their iDevices nowadays instead of their DS -- and at the same time they aren't offering enough for the "core" audience (compared to the PSP2).

Things can change, but right now it doesn't look very promising. I really think the 3DS is one of the worst designed pieces of hardware Nintendo ever released, and yes, I own one.

cw_sasuke said:
Classic titles in comparable platforms aren't that much cheaper - the only reason for them to lower the price would be if the same content would be avaiable on othe devices way cheaper - but you won't get Super Mario Land on any other dl platform.

People keep expecting iOS prices....

I'm not expecting iOS prices. I expect reasonable prices. 4$ for a GameBoy game isn't reasonable, no matter whether or not they are offered on another download service. Nintendo keeps the pricing structure they set up with Wii's virtual console - which was already overpriced when it launched and is even more so today.

Nintendo fans/the "core audience" will still buy it, sure, but it appears rather obvious that Nintendo yet again is not going to try to expand the store to other audiences. They can charge much money on the core people, but the casuals won't pay 4$ for most of the GB games since they are used to much better deals.

And quite frankly, most GameBoy games aren't even any good. The Mario Land series for example was mediocre at best until the release of Wario Land.

BooJoh

Hopefully GBC games won't be more than 600 points. If we get a similar lineup I'll probably just get Excitebike and Xevious, possibly a VC game.

ニンテンドー3DSのHOMEメニューから「本体設定」→「その他の設定」 → 「ソフトとデータの引っ越し」を選択します。

ニンテンドーDSiで引っ越しソフト「ニンテンドー3DSへの引っ越し」をはじめます。

画面の指示にしたがって引っ越しを行います。引っ越しの方法は以下の2種類から選ぶことができます。
まとめて引っ越し…
引っ越しできるデータをすべて引っ越しします。
えらんで引っ越し…
「DSiウェア」「写真・音声データ」「Wi-Fiユーザー情報」から引っ越ししたい項目を選んで引っ越しします。
(※)
「えらんで引っ越し」を繰り返して、1台のニンテンドーDSi LL/DSiのデータを複数のニンテンドー3DSへ分けて引っ越しすることもできます。
(※)
「えらんで引っ越し」を繰り返して、複数のニンテンドーDSi LL/DSiのDSiウェアを、1台のニンテンドー3DSに引っ越ししすることもできます。ただし写真・音声データを引っ越す場合は、引っ越ししたデータを本体保存メモリからSDカードにコピーする前に、再度引っ越しすると、以前に引っ越ししたデータが消去されますのでご注意ください。また引っ越し前のニンテンドー3DSのWi-FiコネクションIDも削除されますのでご注意ください。
If I'm reading the shoddy google translation of this right, then you can choose to move the DSiWare, WFC ID, or Pictures/sound all separately?

I've already migrated my WFC info to my 3DS, but I guess I can move it back if I need to move everything together.

I need to spend my remaining 400 points on the DSi Shop too.

Just as a brief example of some things not shown in the reel and website overview:
  • Will there be game demos? Mentioned before, and shown in a previous reel IIRC, but no word here.
  • Will there be sales/promotions, or at least the option for publishers to set their prices post-launch?
  • Is the eShop presented just as shown in the reel, or can you reorganise it in the way you can the 3DS menu? I remember the complaints about the single-row presentation of the 3DS menu in official Nintendo material until it was demonstrated that you could zoom in and out to suit yourself.
  • Is there other functionality beyond the browser/eShop/transfer in this update? Messaging was mentioned, so is it here but not shown in this brief clip, or has it been shunted out of this update?
  • How seamless is the integration between the eShop and the main OS? For example, someone mentioned that Spotpass notifications could bounce you straight to the eShop - will there be more examples like that to try and hook the shopping side of things in and make it a more fluid experience for users?
  • How is the eShop organised in terms of "racks" and filters? "Racks" were supposed to be sections for certain genres or characters (e.g. the Mario "rack" would store all Mario-related games). Is that still in?
  • Is DLC available through the eShop, or is it handled on-cart and in-game?
I could go on, but there's a lot unanswered, and a lot that was previously mentioned that isn't shown in this short demo reel.

bryehn

How does the DsiWare transfer work exactly? Does it just transfer the licences so I can pop my old SD card in there or will I need to reload everything?

Could someone maybe take a screen of the private/title folder or wherever they're stored on the 3DS? My main question is, is there a separate folder for DSiWare or do they get blended with 3DSWare/VC titles?

BooJoh

LayLa said:
whats this about 'Nintendo Points'? i thought they were switching over to a cash based system?
My bad. The prices are in yen, I'm assuming NOA will probably convert 1 yen to 1 penny, so my mind keeps saying points because I'm seeing 100 yen as $1.00 as 100 points.

Top Bottom