• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS eshop official site (Japan) + press releases

I don't rebuy VC games that I already own on carts, but I could see doing that for the handheld VC. I can definitely see the advantage of having the classic Super Mario Lands, Kirby's, etc. sitting on an SD card in my 3DS.

$4 seems fair to me for these games. I just hope they mine some of the critically acclaimed, but less popular, titles like DK'94 or Kid Icarus 2.

Youtube isn't strictly flash anymore, is it? I suppose I could be wrong, I basically never use a browser that doesn't have flash installed.

Youtube will not work confirmed, y/n?

Nintendo Press Site said:
JUNE 6 NINTENDO 3DS SYSTEM UPDATE ADDS INTERNET BROWSER, ONLINE STORE AND POKÉDEX 3D

Nintendo Offers Free Re-mastered 3D Version of NES Classic Excitebike for Limited Time

REDMOND, Wash., June 2, 2011 – Nintendo of America has announced that the first major system update for the hand-held Nintendo 3DS™ system will be available in North America the evening of June 6, Pacific time. By installing the free update via a wireless broadband Internet connection, Nintendo 3DS users will have access to an Internet browser and the Nintendo eShop, which contains a variety of new content, including Pokédex™ 3D, an application that lets fans see Pokémon™ characters in 3D. To celebrate the grand opening of the Nintendo eShop, Nintendo is offering the NES™ game Excitebike™ re-mastered in 3D as a free download until July 7 for anyone who installs the system update. Upcoming Virtual Console™ content available in the Nintendo eShop includes Game Boy™ games Super Mario Land™, Alleyway™ and Radar Mission™. New content will be added to the Nintendo eShop on Thursdays.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy and Game Boy Color "Virtual Console" games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Within the Nintendo eShop, Nintendo 3DS users will also be able to download the free Pokédex 3D application and start collecting data for more than 150 Pokémon from the Pokémon™ Black Version and Pokémon White Version games. This new application lets users view each Pokémon in 3D with animated motion and sound. The Pokémon image can be rotated 360 degrees, allowing users to zoom in and view it from any angle. The detailed Pokédex also allows users to search, sort and filter all of the data they receive in a variety of ways, making it the essential guide for Pokémon fans. Players can complete their Pokédex by sharing data with friends and using the SpotPass™ feature, or by scanning special Pokémon AR Markers (augmented-reality markers). Once users have received data for a Pokémon, the AR Viewer allows them to view that Pokémon image in a real-world setting in real time, and create photos to share with friends.

"The Nintendo 3DS system is constantly evolving and growing," said Nintendo of America president and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. "The Nintendo eShop is a one-stop resource for a broad range of Nintendo information and downloadable games and applications. It expands the Nintendo 3DS experience with new and entertaining content."

Other capabilities that go live with the system update include a free Internet browser that has the capability to show 3D images on sites specifically designed to show 3D images. The browser can also be used during game play. Users can stop their Nintendo 3DS game and go to the browser by pressing the Home button and then resume their game when they are finished browsing.

The system update also gives Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™ system owners the ability to easily transfer most of their previously downloaded Nintendo DSiWare™ games to their new Nintendo 3DS systems.

In the near future, users will be able to download a free application for a short-form video service that will enable them to view specially selected video content, including 3D movie trailers, comedy clips and music videos automatically received when the SpotPass feature is activated.

To install the recommended system update, Nintendo 3DS users can simply start the "System Settings" from the Home Menu, select "Other Settings" and scroll the page right to select "System Update."

Remember that the Nintendo 3DS system features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo3ds.com.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™ home console, Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 3.7 billion video games and more than 600 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at http://www.nintendo.com.

Cool. Better than JP's imo.

31F428CICTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Plasma

Banned
Looking at that list it seems like Nintendo still haven't learnt any lessons from the DSi and Wii stores.

The free pokedex app and Excitebike are great but other than Super Mario Land there really isn't anything there that I would want to buy.

I shouldn't have expected anything different but I just felt that this time Nintendo could have really come out strong.

Oh well guess I'll just have to buy Valet Parking 1989 from the DSi store to keep me occupied.

kinggroin

Banned
With what'll most likely be a shitty launch lineup for the VC stuff in the US, all I ever looked forward to was the messaging system with game invites. If this update comes and goes, and I still can't invite friends into my SF games, then screw this backwards system, and the backwards company delivering it to us.

I hope to the gaming gods that the 3DS isn't a precursor of things to come.

Freezie KO said:
$4 seems fair to me for these games. I just hope they mine some of the critically acclaimed, but less popular, titles like DK'94 or Kid Icarus 2.

I'd be interested to know what price people would think is "fair" for GB/GBC and GBA games.

Why is $4 for a game like Link's Awakening, or Super Mario Land 2 not acceptable? Or is it fine for GB games like that, but not for something like Alleyway? And if so, how would you propose setting the price - a multi-tier setup, or completely flexible pricing within a certain price range?

EDIT:

...and a missed opportunity for a cross-promo between Radar Mission and Steel Diver? Even just a little - "Hey, Captain - if you're enjoying Steel Diver, check out Radar Mission for the original Game Boy!" would be cool :)

I like that they added clouds to the edges in Xevious, makes sense. They'd previously said the actual gameplay wouldn't be expanded to widescreen format. Excite Bike is looking like a nice conversion too, shows that they need to put a bit of work in to do this.

I'm going to show my video game tech ignorance here.

Can someone explain to me why Radar Mission from the original GB can look pretty good blown up in the video on my high resolution monitor, but DS games don't look so hot on the 3DS?

Rich!

UncleSporky said:
Youtube isn't strictly flash anymore, is it? I suppose I could be wrong, I basically never use a browser that doesn't have flash installed.

Youtube will not work confirmed, y/n?

Youtube works on Apple stuff, which doesn't support Flash - however, I think they HTML5, which the 3DS browser wont support.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Oh Nintendo. You do know how to constantly fumble when people want things the most. Everyone and their dog wants Link's Awakening as a beautiful starter to Ocarina of Time. Still as stupid as ever.

beje

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
I'd be interested to know what price people would think is "fair" for GB/GBC and GBA games.

I think 2-3 bucks is good enough for Gameboy (especially older and smaller titles like Alleyway or Tennis) and 4 bucks for GBC and premium (import, bigger titles like Zelda) stuff. Anything more than that is a steal.

I'm happier with the american launch as opposed to Japan's. For me it'll now be:

alleyway
Radar Mission
3D Classics: Excitebike
Browser
Pokedex 3D

I probably won't even use the Pokedex because I don't play Pokemon. I'm downloading it for the free club nintendo points.

wrowa

Cosmonaut X said:

Why is $4 for a game like Link's Awakening, or Super Mario Land 2 not acceptable? Or is it fine for GB games like that, but not for something like Alleyway? And if so, how would you propose setting the price - a multi-tier setup, or completely flexible pricing within a certain price range?
There are very few GB games that are truly classics and still worthwhile today. Link's Awakening is one of these -- it's a great game, still holds up today and would they try to sell it for a gazillion dollar I still wouldn't complain (oh, well, maybe I would note that it's overpriced by a tad).

But the vast majority of games are worse than today's flash games -- and even the ones that are good, are more times than not not worth the price they are asking for. 2USD for most games would be acceptable imo. That's not much, but the games aren't offering much in return apart of nostalgic feelings. Heck, Radar Mission is just a glorified version of Battleship. Even 2USD makes it seem like a rip-off.

Edit: Mario Land 2 was the first game ever I completed. I loved it to death as a kid. Until I replayed it recently... I was always wondering why so many people called it the worst Mario platformer ever, now I know why :(

Rich!

In terms of UK currency (are there any other UK GAF in this thread?), I'd hope for this:

£2 for handheld VC games
£4 for 3D Classics
£5 for SNES/GBA games.

Obviously we'll probably be fucked over though. Are there any details of UK pricing yet?

edit: to the poster above, you cannot argue that these three are anything other than pure classics:

563296_88116_front.jpg

118-1.jpg

top-5-3ds-virtual-console-games-wario-land-3.jpg

Cannot wait for these three. I will buy them all!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder if any of the Game and Watch Gallery games will get a released considering the G&W DSiWare. I kid of fancy score based GB games to keep on the 3DS.

Celine

wrowa said:
Edit: Mario Land 2 was the first game ever I completed. I loved it to death as a kid. Until I replayed it recently... I was always wondering why so many people called it the worst Mario platformer ever, now I know why :(
It's not worst Mario platformer ever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No messaging service for friends? Seriously?

Jesus fucking christ Nintendo.

Rich!

BGBW said:
I wonder if any of the Game and Watch Gallery games will get a released considering the G&W DSiWare. I kid of fancy score based GB games to keep on the 3DS.

Yeah, but knowing Nintendo they'll release Game Boy Gallery first - maybe not in the USA, it was UK only wasn't it?

200px-GameBoyGallery.jpg

Celine said:

It's not, no - but the platforming seems...off. It's very 'floaty' and inprecise, and I think Nintendo really perfected it with Wario Land's superb action-based platforming.

mclem

The system update also gives Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™ system owners the ability to easily transfer most of their previously downloaded Nintendo DSiWare™ games to their new Nintendo 3DS systems.

Clarification needed.

I skipped over the DSi sub-generation, so from my PoV, the store's going to be full of lots of games I've hard a lot about in the past few years that I've not yet been able to play; looking forward to diving into the Art Style collections in particular.

wrowa

Celine said:
It is. Mario Land 1 isn't much better, but Mario Land 2's level design is awful.

If you are counting those strange, licensed eduaction games you might have a point. But otherwise I don't know which Mario platformer could be considered worse.

Wario Land on the other hand is a giant step up from Mario Land 2.

BooJoh

mclem said:
Clarification needed.

I skipped over the DSi sub-generation, so from my PoV, the store's going to be full of lots of games I've hard a lot about in the past few years that I've not yet been able to play; looking forward to diving into the Art Style collections in particular.
Here you go.

The functionality to transfer DSiWare from a Nintendo DSi to a Nintendo 3DS will become available through an update planned for the evening of June 6 Pacific time. All DSiWare games currently available will be able to transfer with the following exceptions:

Art Academy First Semester
Art Academy Second Semester
Asphalt IV
Crash-Course Domo
Earthworm Jim
Flipnote Studio
Hard-Hat Domo
Let's Golf
Nintendo DSi Browser
Oregon Trail
Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon
Pro-Putt Domo
Real Soccer 2009
Real Soccer 2010
Rock-n-Roll Domo
SUDOKU MASTER
SUDOKU SENSEI
Sudoku Student
White-Water Domo

Jackano

So:
400Yens = 4.9US$ = 3.4€

4€ = 5.7US$ = 465Yens
4US$ = 2.8€ = 320Yens

Bwaah at "1:1" currency conversions! This time you will get it right for US, but once again, we are doomed here in Europe.
I still hope for a 3€ price tag... And it seems we have Tennis instead of Radar Mission in Europe. Also, free Excite Bike until July 7th!

Weak lineup (I had expected Link's Awakening at launch), and this doesn't include all the content that was promised as of GDC - in fact, Reggie explicitly promised that the video channel would be up before Green Lantern was in theaters. Well, I suppose there's at least a chance of pushing some kind of new content during E3.

mclem

DXB-KNIGHT said:
So .mpo pictures will appear as 3D pictures on the browser based on the description in the PR?

It sounds like it.

Now I'm hoping there's any way Youtube 3D can be adapted to work on it, even sans flash. It may be scant hope, alas.

Clunker

EatChildren said:
No messaging service for friends? Seriously?

Jesus fucking christ Nintendo.
kinggroin said:
I hope to the gaming gods that the 3DS isn't a precursor of things to come.
Iwata: (laughs)

My policy of not bothering to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt when it comes to online functionality is so far proving sadly useful. They had the chance to implement a system that lets you quickly and easily set up online games with the people you know in real life ... instead, we get a 3D Pokedex.

wrowa said:
here are very few GB games that are truly classics and still worthwhile today. Link's Awakening is one of these -- it's a great game, still holds up today and would they try to sell it for a gazillion dollar I still wouldn't complain (oh, well, maybe I would note that it's overpriced by a tad).

But the vast majority of games are worse than today's flash games -- and even the ones that are good, are more times than not not worth the price they are asking for. 2USD for most games would be acceptable imo. That's not much, but the games aren't offering much in return apart of nostalgic feelings. Heck, Radar Mission is just a glorified version of Battleship. Even 2USD makes it seem like a rip-off.
Agreed. Paying $4 for a freaking version of Arkanoid in the Year of Our Lord Twenty-Eleven is not particularly acceptable in any sense of the word. The generally well-known, remembered titles would easily be worth $4 -- Link's Awakening, the Mario/Wario titles, Gargoyle's Quest, FF Legend -- but a lot of the other lesser-known games would really benefit from cheaper prices, if only for curiosity pickups.

Though, do we have any confirmation yet on what U.S. prices will be?

Nintendo's online store, barring one instance I can remember (Sega having some kind of holiday sale), routinely never offers price flexibility, something that XBLA, PSN, the App Store, and the multitude of PC DD services use all of the time. For its non-marquee titles, I think Nintendo should really consider offering rotating sales and promotions to get people interested in actually checking the store on a regular basis.

Have they confirmed these GB games will be able to be played multiplayer through wireless?

I hope those non-transferable dsi ware games are still able to be purchased for the first time on 3ds, i have been waiting for Pinball Pulse for ages!

Jackano

Ad Infinitum said:
maaaaan, that's a shame about not supporting flash.
Thta's not. Flash is the #1 reason for crashing web browser. There is nothing that can be in flash this days that can't be replaced by some great javascript; And the 3DS browser support very fortunately the canvas element, so, this is a better thing here than just having flash.

richisawesome said:
Yeah, but knowing Nintendo they'll release Game Boy Gallery first - maybe not in the USA, it was UK only wasn't it?

200px-GameBoyGallery.jpg

Whoa! I didn't know this existed! I think it's cool how they updated the look of Mr. Game & Watch. Would most definitely buy if it got released in the US.

Rich!

wrowa said:
Wario Land on the other hand is a giant step up from Mario Land 2.

The Wario Land series has some of the best level design I've ever seen in a Nintendo game. Wario Land 1 has some great examples, such as the Mt Teapot level which you visit twice - once was a fairly normal trek (heading up through the stars), and then later on, you visit it after it's been completely warped after a flying saucer has crashed onto it. Soooo good. Put together with the visuals and music, the game has a fairly dark feel throughout - which I think Nintendo has only matched in Yoshi's Island's underground and castle levels.

Wario Land 2 continued this with some other examples, and Wario Land 3 is just absolutely sublime in every single aspect - Wario Land 2 mixed with Metroid is the best way I can describe it.

Best game boy series ever.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
richisawesome said:
563296_88116_front.jpg

118-1.jpg

top-5-3ds-virtual-console-games-wario-land-3.jpg

Cannot wait for these three. I will buy them all!

My sentiments exactly. Amazing games.

mclem

BooJoh said:
Here you go.
Flipnote Studio

Ouch.

That's the only thing one from that list that I was kinda curious about, however.

I wonder if Wayforward can beg to get the original Shantae up on Virtual Handheld sooner rather than later.

Oooh, and 3D versions of Master System 3D games, along with the few NES 3D titles would be awesome (Rad Racer, anyone?)

Suspicious about the lack of non-gameboy titles in the initial batch. I reckon there's going to be an announcement and maybe extra titles at the E3 conference for other handhelds, 'cause at the moment it's just a virtual gameboy.

BooJoh

Father_Brain said:
Weak lineup (I had expected Link's Awakening at launch), and this doesn't include all the content that was promised as of GDC - in fact, Reggie explicitly promised that the video channel would be up before Green Lantern was in theaters. Well, I suppose there's at least a chance of pushing some kind of new content during E3.
There's nothing stopping them from pulling an "...and it's available RIGHT NOW!" for the video channel or other new features during the E3 press conference.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Art Academy First Semester <-- own this
Art Academy Second Semester <-- own this
Flipnote Studio <-- own this
Hard-Hat Domo <-- own this
Nintendo DSi Browser <-- own this
Oregon Trail <-- own this

*grumbles*

mclem

BooJoh said:
There's nothing stopping them from pulling an "...and it's available RIGHT NOW!" for the video channel or other new features during the E3 press conference.

I'll be very surprised if they don't, actually. It's the obvious way to demo 3DS content!

Yes Boss!

Simple question: if I transfer my DSi gamea over from one of my DSi systems they no longer will be able to exist on my DSi (along with the new 3DS)?

mclem said:
I'll be very surprised if they don't, actually. It's the obvious way to demo 3DS content!

That's exactly what I'm hoping for, but knowing Nintendo's history, it's probably better to keep my hopes lowered.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
richisawesome said:
Yeah, but knowing Nintendo they'll release Game Boy Gallery first - maybe not in the USA, it was UK only wasn't it?.
Remember seeing that in a Smith's about 6 years ago. Was rather surreal seeing this lone GameBoy game amongst late GBA and early DS games.

Mockingbird said:
Whoa! I didn't know this existed! I think it's cool how they updated the look of Mr. Game & Watch. Would most definitely buy if it got released in the US.
If you want to be picky, Mr. G&W only exists in Smash Bros. The caricatures in the games vary from nameless figures to Mario himself.

No Flash or HTML5... so the browser is pretty much useless right from the get go. Nice going Nintendo.

Ah well, I guess Super Mario Land, Excitebike Pokedex and Shantae should more than support my need for small downloadable games on the 3DS... for now.

yankee666

Gold Member
Im glad to see that the 3D Classics are in full screen an not 4:3, they even add a touch screen interface. I cant wait to see games like Yoshi Island, SMW, Super Metroid in 3D.

Btw anyone knows if Pokedex 3D will be available in the japanese E-shop?

m.i.s.

Banned
yankee666 said:
Im glad to see that the 3D Classics are in full screen an not 4:3, they even add a touch screen interface. I cant wait to see games like Yoshi Island, SMW, Super Metroid in 3D.

This is the biggest deal as far as I'm concerned. Unlike the GBA iterations of the Super Mario games, a Nintendo handheld finally has a vertical resolution of 240 pixels so that these games can be played without compromise from their SNES counterparts. And with the convenience of the games being selectable from the home menu without the need to bring and swap out cartridges. Welcome to 2011 Nintendo!

Otherwise, yeah, as expected, disappointment all around as is the Nintendo way these days. :eek:)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
john tv said:
Day 1 purchases for me:

I really wish 3DS had achievements. I'd buy 2 or 3 times as many old games if it did, seriously. :p

Online scoreboards for a lot of Gameboy titles that had 'high scores', ala, Tetris, would have been lovely.

gerg

Stumpokapow said:
Art Academy First Semester <-- own this
Art Academy Second Semester <-- own this
Flipnote Studio <-- own this
Hard-Hat Domo <-- own this
Nintendo DSi Browser <-- own this
Oregon Trail <-- own this

*grumbles*

I wouldn't grumble too much about Flipnote Studio, as they're going to release one specifically for the 3DS, which will no doubt be free, too.

It is pretty stupid not to let owners still play with the other version, until then.

In general, I wonder what it is about these titles that make them specifically non-transferable.

Top Bottom