• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

mclem

Member
Jan 16, 2007
42,664
4
1,190
GJS said:
Just looks like they get closer to the screen for me.
If you're seeing stuff 'pop in' when it should be 'popping out', you're seeing the inverted image. That would indicate that you're exactly halfway out of phase from the sweet spot; the left eye is seeing the right eye's image, and vice versa.

McNum said:
I wonder, if I use the 3DS a little every day in 3D mode, could I "fix" my depth perception? Give the eyes a 3D workout, so to speak. I'd love to get the ability to see 3D without straining my eyes.
My gut feeling - and I'm not a scientist - would be "This is not impossible".

KAL2006 said:
So I have heard the 3DS is not region free, but is it up to the developers like it is on 360, or is it absolutely not region free at all. The reason I am asking this is because Europe does not get many decent games that US get, such as Radiant Historia, Lufia, Shin Megami Tensei, Monster Tale, Trauma Centre 2 and etc.
It's not known at the moment. We do have one data point, however, which is that the European release of Pokémon Black/White (which is DSi enhanced, so still has some region protection in it) *does* work on Japanese 3DSes, while the Japanese release of the game does not work on European ones. There's a clear distinction there for some reason.
 

mclem

Member
Jan 16, 2007
42,664
4
1,190
M.I.S. said:
Just how widespread is this?

Tabloid claims "thousands" of 3DS returns. Also they "had a high return of the 3DS, more than any launch product."

Just the usual tabloid fodder?

3DS dizziness claims hit The Sun

It got a mention on Radio 2 in passing this morning, although I think the 'highest rate of returns' may also be linked to the various "Try the 3DS for a week!" deals that were out there, so I'd take those with a pinch of salt.
 

Notorious_Roy

Member
Mar 24, 2005
2,150
147
1,515
royorama.nl

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nov 1, 2009
27,315
0
0
Vinterbird said:
News: Nintendo has announced that Steel Diver will launch in Europe on May 6th.

Was the game any good or what was the word on it?

It's a nice showcase for the 3D but there's not much content. It's a bit like Yoshi Touch and Go in that it's good fun to play but very, very limited. For a handheld laucnch title it's decent.
 

RpgN

Junior Member
Dec 19, 2007
4,531
0
0
The Netherlands
rpgnour.tumblr.com
I went to a friend yesterday who happens to be a manager of a gameshop, the moment I came in, he asked if I wanted to try out the 3DS :0 I was so surprised because it wasn't on display and he had a 3DS hidden behind a counter, plus I wasn't expecting to try one out. I asked why there where no demos on display and he said they will come. Anyways, I got to try out the 3DS and grab it for the first time! Played mostly with Pilotwings and tried Nintendogs for a few seconds. Pilotwings was more fun than I thought and it looked really pretty. The 3D effect was weird at the beginning, he said I would see it the more I play with it. Then I slowly started to see more of that 3D, like there is an announcer/women behind a counter with a vase, the vase started looking more round and 3D. It was nice, the game is a good showcase for such effect. I didn't see the 3D effect with Nintendogs and it felt very similar to the DS version, so I wasn't impressed with it and stopped quickly. I held the slider halfway through btw.

Pilotwings seems like a fun game, but I don't think it's a game I'd get a 3DS for, let alone pay 45 euros for it. It feels more like a tech demo that lasts 2/3 hours. Wouldn't it have been much better if they bundled the game with the 3DS for free? It could have served like Wii sports and make people aware of the technology and what they can do with it.
 

dock

Member
Oct 14, 2004
5,159
0
0
It'll be interesting to see when I buy my next 3DS game, other than the launch games I already picked up. It does look to be a few quiet months for 3DS specific titles in most territories. Fairly normal post-launch blues :)

RpgN said:
Pilotwings seems like a fun game, but I don't think it's a game I'd get a 3DS for, let alone pay 45 euros for it. It feels more like a tech demo that lasts 2/3 hours. Wouldn't it have been much better if they bundled the game with the 3DS for free? It could have served like Wii sports and make people aware of the technology and what they can do with it.

Pilot Wings is absolutely not a 'tech demo'. I do agree that it doesn't demo well, but there's a lot of game there and a lot of really well thought out, interesting and creative challenges within the game. Twelve hours into the game I'm still playing it every day.
 

trinest

Member
Apr 19, 2006
10,294
1
1,165
30
Australia
www.trinest.com

Vinterbird

Member
Nov 17, 2006
8,146
0
0
dock said:
It'll be interesting to see when I buy my next 3DS game, other than the launch games I already picked up. It does look to be a few quiet months for 3DS specific titles in most territories. Fairly normal post-launch blues :)

We have Steel Diver in a month, and in June we will probably get Zelda in Europe. And I could see Nintendo launching Icarus before the holiday storm, where I expect them to have Mario 3D ready.

Plus there's some nifty third party stuff coming soon, like James Noir from Ubisoft.
 

m.i.s.

Banned
Mar 13, 2009
1,773
12
1,015
England, UK
RpgN said:
Pilotwings seems like a fun game, but I don't think it's a game I'd get a 3DS for, let alone pay 45 euros for it. It feels more like a tech demo that lasts 2/3 hours. Wouldn't it have been much better if they bundled the game with the 3DS for free? It could have served like Wii sports and make people aware of the technology and what they can do with it.

As far as I'm concerned, Pilotwings is more complete as a game than Wii Sports is. I do agree with you that it would make the perfect pack-in title as anyone can play it and derive some level of enjoyment from it. I think Nintendo just got greedy from the Wii phenomenon and thought they could wing it as an early adopter title.
 
Aug 14, 2006
11,638
0
0
OK I'm finally back and I finally have my 3DS!!!

FC: 4854-6471-8730

Send me a PM if you add me! I'm also on the FC master list as well!
 

dock

Member
Oct 14, 2004
5,159
0
0
The 3DS already comes bundled with more games and software than any system in a long time. Some of the later AR games and toys unlocked with play coins are especially interesting.

I don't think Pilotwings should have been a bundled game. It would have been murder for third parties.
 

mclem

Member
Jan 16, 2007
42,664
4
1,190
RpgN said:
Played mostly with Pilotwings and tried Nintendogs for a few seconds. Pilotwings was more fun than I thought and it looked really pretty. The 3D effect was weird at the beginning, he said I would see it the more I play with it. Then I slowly started to see more of that 3D, like there is an announcer/women behind a counter with a vase, the vase started looking more round and 3D. It was nice, the game is a good showcase for such effect.

[...]

Pilotwings seems like a fun game, but I don't think it's a game I'd get a 3DS for, let alone pay 45 euros for it. It feels more like a tech demo that lasts 2/3 hours.

There *is* more to it than the counter, you know :)
 

RpgN

Junior Member
Dec 19, 2007
4,531
0
0
The Netherlands
rpgnour.tumblr.com
mclem said:
There *is* more to it than the counter, you know :)

Haha, don't get me wrong...I got to play quite a bit with it, tried 3 courses and retried one of them just for fun. I just didn't notice the 3D effect much on the field (still need to get used to it?) but started noticing it mostly with that vase, because it's standing still and I could focus more on it :p

M.I.S., Wii sports has quite the replay value. I kept playing with it with my sis for about a year. Once in a while just for fun. It's another case where I wouldn't personally buy it on its own.

dock, not sure how those AR games are or all the extra software the 3DS has, I was strictly speaking of the value of Pilotwings and how it would fit in. The game only has one area that's taken from wii sports resort (was it?), there isn't much content on there, like wii sport. It's fun, it makes you want to replay the same courses which could end you playing the game for more than 3 hours. But I really think the game is weak on its own with the asked price for it, they should have put more content if they want to justify the price. It's good at showing you the 3D effect while being simple and fun, (casual) people need to be convinced of the effect, so it would have worked just like wii sports.
 

dock

Member
Oct 14, 2004
5,159
0
0
I've got hundreds of hours in Wii Sports / Resort, and Wii Fit. I'm already a big fan of those games, and I think they have plenty of merit.

As for value, I've paid full price for Tetris a bunch of times too, which is often considered as a low value game by many.

I also think Pilotwings is great, is well designed, and has plenty of content. It's the first thorough use of the island, expanding upon the Airplane game nicely. I thought it was going to be poor (especially based upon reviews), but came away very impressed.

It's fair enough that for many the perception of the content is different, however. It certainly seems like a cheap 'demo' in terms of the island being recycled, and the use of Miis devalues the product. I wonder whether Mii based games are regarded as 'free' or low value now.

It's very interesting how certain games and genres go through phases in terms of regarded value. Street Fighter 4, for example, is similar in so much that it's only as good as the time you invest.
 

luiggi_oasis

Member
Jul 14, 2007
149
0
0
Hi yurogaffers! A friend of mine is visiting UK late this month and he might bring a 3DS for me... Wheren can I find the best price for an online purchase? In Amazon.co.uk it's at 200 pounds, any better option?
 

Naked Snake

Member
Jun 6, 2004
20,963
3
1,725
43
Amman, Jordan
Question: How does the official AC adapter/charger for the European DSi/3DS look? Does it have a slim profile like the US one?



Or does it look something like this:



?

Edit: Nevermind, I looked at an unboxing video and learned that it's the latter.
 
May 12, 2009
1,329
4
645
Germany
Stupid question, but: Where's the demo units? At least in Germany? The big electronics stroes in Frankfurt I've been to were all chock full of 3DS ads but the demo DSes were all plain DSis or XLs. I'm probably gonna get one once the Ocarina of Time remake comes out but I'd still like to have a look at what the 3D looks like beforehand. Or maybe I haven't been looking hard enough? It's not like I've spent hours on my quest to find one, mind you.
 

Shiggy

Member
Jun 10, 2004
26,711
1
1,665
magicalsoundshower said:
Stupid question, but: Where's the demo units? At least in Germany? The big electronics stroes in Frankfurt I've been to were all chock full of 3DS ads but the demo DSes were all plain DSis or XLs. I'm probably gonna get one once the Ocarina of Time remake comes out but I'd still like to have a look at what the 3D looks like beforehand. Or maybe I haven't been looking hard enough? It's not like I've spent hours on my quest to find one, mind you.

I haven't seen any either.
 

Phife Dawg

Member
Dec 4, 2006
8,066
0
0
magicalsoundshower said:
Stupid question, but: Where's the demo units? At least in Germany? The big electronics stroes in Frankfurt I've been to were all chock full of 3DS ads but the demo DSes were all plain DSis or XLs. I'm probably gonna get one once the Ocarina of Time remake comes out but I'd still like to have a look at what the 3D looks like beforehand. Or maybe I haven't been looking hard enough? It's not like I've spent hours on my quest to find one, mind you.
Haven't seen one either. But haven't searched for one actively. There was a Nintendo rep at midnight launch who had two units with him but that was it.
 

Rekubot

Member
Jan 5, 2009
899
0
855
Just got an email about that AR card t-shirt for being one of the first 3000 to register a 3DS, it says to allow up to 8 weeks for delivery. Check your email gaffers!
 

LayLa

Member
Feb 7, 2011
2,326
0
485
just got an email saying "Congratulations, there's a free Nintendo 3DS T-shirt waiting for you! Because you were one of the first 3,000 people to register your Nintendo 3DS system to Club Nintendo, you can claim an individually numbered collector's item T-shirt, absolutely free!"
which is the first I've heard of it, had no idea this was even a thing. so check your nintendo-club-tied email inbox!
 

KAL2006

Banned
Feb 6, 2009
12,899
2,984
1,370
UK
magicalsoundshower said:
Stupid question, but: Where's the demo units? At least in Germany? The big electronics stroes in Frankfurt I've been to were all chock full of 3DS ads but the demo DSes were all plain DSis or XLs. I'm probably gonna get one once the Ocarina of Time remake comes out but I'd still like to have a look at what the 3D looks like beforehand. Or maybe I haven't been looking hard enough? It's not like I've spent hours on my quest to find one, mind you.

Just ask the store employee, they usually pull one out from the back and let you play with it, I have done this 3 times in 3 different stores.
 

FrancisH

Member
Jun 26, 2009
293
0
630
United Kingdom
Rekubot said:
Just got an email about that AR card t-shirt for being one of the first 3000 to register a 3DS, it says to allow up to 8 weeks for delivery. Check your email gaffers!

Just got this too! :D

Though I managed to baffle myself when checking the link to see if it was real or not, I accidentally inserted an 'l' next to the t in centre and made myself believe it was a fake email so I had to do some more checking xD

Wonder what number my T-shirt is :p
 

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Jan 19, 2007
54,012
0
1,140
Because I missed the courier on the Thursday I knew I missed the t-shirt promotion even if the site's header claimed I won one.
 

Rich!

Member
Dec 16, 2009
29,963
3
0
Haha. I've got a free shirt too.

YESSS. The GAFfer who gets the lowest number (they're each individually numbered) WINS.
 

-KRS-

Member
Sep 9, 2009
4,872
0
0
Sweden
enlisy.com
Naked Snake said:
Question: How does the official AC adapter/charger for the European DSi/3DS look? Does it have a slim profile like the US one?



Or does it look something like this:



?

Edit: Nevermind, I looked at an unboxing video and learned that it's the latter.

Depends on where you live I guess. My DSi XL charger looks like the latter one, only it IS slim, since it uses a thin two-prong europlug instead. Also, all electrical devices in Sweden only use two-pronged connectors, even if they are grounded.
 

Koren

Member
Mar 11, 2005
9,345
1
0
Just a quick question... I updated my 3DS a couple of years ago, and I can't finish a ghost recon mission now (the one with the frozen river) since I've already gotten two Black Screens in this one.

Besides update (which won't help, obviously, since I'm up to date), is there any other things to check to avoid the problem?
 

dc89

Member
May 6, 2010
37,782
3
670
Manchester, UK
backloggery.com
GAF!

Wat do?

My touch screen has minute scratches to it. Like 3 or 4. I think my GF did it and I challenged her over it and it didn't go down well. They are not noticeable when it's in use but it just bugs me knowing they are there.

Should I just buy another and give her the defiled one to play Prof. Layton on it?
 

MarshMellow96

Member
Sep 1, 2009
6,218
0
0
dc89 said:
GAF!

Wat do?

My touch screen has minute scratches to it. Like 3 or 4. I think my GF did it and I challenged her over it and it didn't go down well. They are not noticeable when it's in use but it just bugs me knowing they are there.

Should I just buy another and give her the defiled one to play Prof. Layton on it?

Don't back down - that was her plan all along.
 

ShinNL

Member
May 2, 2006
5,655
308
1,605
I'm about to get a Nintendo 3DS + SSF4 for only €200 ... :D :D

But it's been "used", so my question is: can I erase the data that's on the system to make it completely mine? Is there anything to erase? And will playtime & such stay?

Nonetheless... €200 for the system + game is like €150 for the brand new system. So awesome :D
 

Jackano

Member
Jan 19, 2006
5,228
1
1,430
France
twitter.com
Soneet said:
I'm about to get a Nintendo 3DS + SSF4 for only €200 ... :D :D

But it's been "used", so my question is: can I erase the data that's on the system to make it completely mine? Is there anything to erase? And will playtime & such stay?

Nonetheless... €200 for the system + game is like €150 for the brand new system. So awesome :D

Yes there is an option for this, of course it needs to eb tested but we can assume this is entierely the purpose.
 

ashbash159

Member
May 27, 2009
2,036
0
0
United Kingdom
Bought a 3DS with the money I got for my birthday today. Got Pilotwings Resort!

So far all the in-built games are really fun and Pilotwings Resort is quite good. The 3D in Pilotwings Resorts is quite strong compared to everything else so I have to turn it down to around 20% 3D on the slider.

Any other things I should do with my 3DS?
 

Milpool

Member
Jun 18, 2006
1,129
9
1,420
UK
Got the email about the free t-shirt yesterday, since it's pretty late does this mean it's probably one that didn't get claimed?
 

MarshMellow96

Member
Sep 1, 2009
6,218
0
0
Just got my 3DS today. Bought Pro Evo and SSFIV with it. Turned it on and boom a stuck pixel. Do they get worse? Should I just return it?

EDIT: D-pad seems quite loose too. Normal?
 

demonturkey

Member
Sep 28, 2010
444
0
625
Did anybody just get a message to update your 3DS?

I did and it said there was a video contained along with other functionality updates. But after updating I don't notice anything different and its the same video that's available.
 

MiloFoxburr

Member
Nov 14, 2006
1,618
0
0
Dublin, Ireland
demonturkey said:
Did anybody just get a message to update your 3DS?

I did and it said there was a video contained along with other functionality updates. But after updating I don't notice anything different and its the same video that's available.

Just checked and got told my system is up to date.
 

demonturkey

Member
Sep 28, 2010
444
0
625
MiloFoxburr said:
Just checked and got told my system is up to date.

Weird, maybe my 3DS just glitched out then. I do think the message I received read the same as the one initially sent out after the system launched. But when I went to search for an update, it found an update and downloaded it!

I guess it must have just re-downloaded the same update. Very strange... and disappointing!