• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Games: what does this thing have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nordique

no point in getting a ds lite anymore, unless you crave GBA games on the go

myself, I usually move on every generation (so last gen games are less meaningful to me personally), and as a result i barely play even regular DS games on the 3DS

but the few that I have been playing, although there are many complaints about the resolution, I find you get used to it and its not a huge issue for the most part.

3DS is the way to go.

Still waiting on that Rayman Demo ... maybe this week >_>.
Right now, I'd settle for confirmation that the 3DS version of Rayman Origins is actually a thing that still exists--neither Amazon or GameStop have a page up for it and since it was supposed to be released in like two weeks or so last we heard, I'm naturally beginning to get a bit worried...

Shinobi - Really hard but lots of replayability and very satisfying, love it

I am eating crow on Shinobi. When a thread was made when a trailer for the game debuted, I thought it would be awful. I still don't think it's the prettiest game but the gameplay makes up for it so far, IMO. It's pretty fun. My biggest peeves are that I can't seem to get those extra hits or whatever when the X button icon appears near a boss and that its comic book scenes aren't in 3D.

Boney

Banned
I was actually coming into this thread to ask about this game and to see if anyone on Gaf had played it. It looks like the type of game I would enjoy but I can't tell from the videos I've seen how it controls and what the player is doing as far as inputs while those lines and beats are coming across the screen. Midnight Scott can you describe the player experience for me? Is it a combination of touch screen, buttons and dpad? Sort of Ouendan like?

I don't understand your last comment. Game is purely touch based. Tap at the red dots, hold it for green dots, lines and swipe in the direction of the yellow arrows. Where does Ouendan use buttons and dpad :S

Game's also divided in battle scenes, travelling scenes and fmv mashups like the one posted. Not sure if there's more actual type of modes, but they all play the same.

I am eating crow on Shinobi. When a thread was made when a trailer for the game debuted, I thought it would be awful. I still don't think it's the prettiest game but the gameplay makes up for it so far, IMO. It's pretty fun. My biggest peeves are that I can't seem to get those extra hits or whatever when the X button icon appears near a boss and that its comic book scenes aren't in 3D.

I've put about ten hours into Shinobi this past week, and I'm really enjoying it as well. Definitely an overlooked gem. It looks like a DS up-port (even if they said it wasn't), but the gameplay is tight and challenging, and it's a very complete package. Now that it can be had for ~$17, it's an easy recommendation for fans of the series and arcade/action titles in general.

The parry system is a lot of fun.

I was actually coming into this thread to ask about this game and to see if anyone on Gaf had played it. It looks like the type of game I would enjoy but I can't tell from the videos I've seen how it controls and what the player is doing as far as inputs while those lines and beats are coming across the screen. Midnight Scott can you describe the player experience for me? Is it a combination of touch screen, buttons and dpad? Sort of Ouendan like?

I preordered the Fire Emblem Special Pack from NCSX so I won't be getting my J-3DS until late April but I'm already thinking about a couple of Japanese games that I want to play on it and Theatrhythm is right at the top of the list.

I'm also really looking at Code of Princess which incidentally releases the same day as the Fire Emblem Special Pack. I was a huge Guardian Heroes fan back in the day and Code of Princess definitely has that pedigree going for it.

The only thing that is similar to Ouendan would be holding down the note as if it was a slide marker in Ouendan. It's totally different though, the game is all touch screen based. It's pretty simple and there are more difficult versions.

Also, awesome that you are getting the Fire Emblem 3DS special pack but are you sure you wanna play that in Japanese? I really only import music and platform games, an RPG would be out of my league in another language. I've thought about getting Code of Princess but the Japanese publishers say they are looking to release it worldwide, so I expect an announcement at E3 at the earliest.

But yes, definitely buy Theatrhythm if you don't want to wait for a western release, it's worth it. :)

matmanx1

The only thing that is similar to Ouendan would be holding down the note as if it was a slide marker in Ouendan. It's totally different though, the game is all touch screen based. It's pretty simple and there are more difficult versions.

Also, awesome that you are getting the Fire Emblem 3DS special pack but are you sure you wanna play that in Japanese? I really only import music and platform games, an RPG would be out of my league in another language. I've thought about getting Code of Princess but the Japanese publishers say they are looking to release it worldwide, so I expect an announcement at E3 at the earliest.

But yes, definitely buy Theatrhythm if you don't want to wait for a western release, it's worth it. :)

I'm only getting Fire Emblem Awakening because it comes with the hardware. Basically I really love that Cobalt Blue 3DS with the graphic on it to play those certain Japanese games. I will play FE a little bit but my Japanese isn't good enough to really do it justice. It will be nice to check it out early but I'm going to hope and count on that eventual American release (that I will play on my American 3DS) for the real Fire Emblem experience.

And thanks for the comments about Theatrhythm. Perhaps I should have been more clear when I was asking earlier but I appreciate you guys describing it nonetheless.

I'm only getting Fire Emblem Awakening because it comes with the hardware. Basically I really love that Cobalt Blue 3DS with the graphic on it to play those certain Japanese games. I will play FE a little bit but my Japanese isn't good enough to really do it justice. It will be nice to check it out early but I'm going to hope and count on that eventual American release (that I will play on my American 3DS) for the real Fire Emblem experience.

And thanks for the comments about Theatrhythm. Perhaps I should have been more clear when I was asking earlier but I appreciate you guys describing it nonetheless.

Yeah I forgot duh, of course the unit doesn't come separate. Why do they never have darker blue at launch? They always have light blue! Don't know what I might do if they come out with a Pokémon edition 3DS since I have an NA Black and JP Red unit already.

Pics of that 3DS when you get it next month please :)

Henke

Right now, I'd settle for confirmation that the 3DS version of Rayman Origins is actually a thing that still exists--neither Amazon or GameStop have a page up for it and since it was supposed to be released in like two weeks or so last we heard, I'm naturally beginning to get a bit worried...

Amazon UK, Play and Zavvi are three of the biggest retailers over this way, all have it listed with a 30th of March release.

Game (lol) has it as May 12th.

I don't know what to think.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

i've restarted on the hardest difficult - oh lord, it's such miserable pleasure! One of the best games on the 3DS.

re: Rayman 3DS - it's going to be 2500 yen here in Japan to celebrate Ubi's 25th ani. I've already got the Vita version, but i'll be getting the 3DS version for sure at that price. That's a bargain and a half for Japanese games.

Hmm, weird. Over here in the States, only Best Buy seems to have a page for it. Amazon, Gamestop, Toys R Us, Target, etc, all seem to have nothing, despite having pages for the other versions. I suppose all that can be done for now is wait for the 20th to come and see what happens.

Veal

Man Shinobi is absolutely brutal! The were not fucking around with the difficulty!

What are people's opinions on Ridge Racer now? It seemed like most people trashed it at the time because of 30 fps and what seemed to be further downgraded visuals. It seemed like the superior NGP version would come and inevitably blow this version away. Now in reality, there was no real visual downgrade, outside of the framerate drop which the Vita shares with the 3DS, and the Vita version is experimenting with a whacked DLC system that greatly limits content from the jump. Will the Vita version ever get as much content as the 3DS version? Is the 3DS version worth the $17 I'm seeing it for?

Feep

Banned
I shot some footage of Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy using my iPhone 3GS,

The video has FF7 event footage...
You know who dies
, a battle, and the Staff credits since I reached over 10,000 Rhythpo

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4m4PXMXpnc

Seriously if you have a Japanese 3DS then you should pick this game up, it's wonderful :)
I was so incredibly bored for the first two minutes, and then it got awesome.

Man, rhythm RPG games are such a good idea.

Boney

Banned
Man Shinobi is absolutely brutal! The were not fucking around with the difficulty!

What are people's opinions on Ridge Racer now? It seemed like most people trashed it at the time because of 30 fps and what seemed to be further downgraded visuals. It seemed like the superior NGP version would come and inevitably blow this version away. Now in reality, there was no real visual downgrade, outside of the framerate drop which the Vita shares with the 3DS, and the Vita version is experimenting with a whacked DLC system that greatly limits content from the jump. Will the Vita version ever get as much content as the 3DS version? Is the 3DS version worth the $17 I'm seeing it for?

I'm no RR connoisseur, but I liked this game but it's definately with it's bullshit. Biggest offender to me is the broken rubber band ai, which makes later races a pain in the ass. Second problem is that framerate dips below 30fps when there's too much stuff going on so that's definately a hassle. Then there's no online and stuff which is a bummer as well.

But game is pretty fun and fast and getting a cool drift feels great. Lots of races and a good selection of tracks and cars, so it's a lengthy ride. I'd definately get it at $17 if you're feeling the itch for it.

Am I right in thinking that there is a Picross 3D coming to the 3DS? I just got the DS game today after playing a demo via the Wii Nintendo Channel and adore it! :)

Why would you waste your time on the inferior Picross 3D when there'a much superior version on the eShop. ePicross!

Available only in Japan :/

Games Released in Japan
Games in this category have been released in Japan, but are not yet released in other countries.

Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei
Genre: Action
Publisher: Marvelous
Regions: JP
Purchase: You need a JP 3DS, but buy it if you have one
Scantily-clad teenage schoolgirls on a mission.
TITS!
Enough said.

Senran-Kagura-screenshot-1.png
Senran-Kagura-screenshot-7.png

Gundam The 3D Battle
Publisher: Namco Bandai
Purchase: You need a JP 3DS, buy it if you are a fan
Everyone's favorite fighting robots fight in 3D for the first time in over 70 missions.
gundam3d.png
gundam3d2.png

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Genre: Adventure
Publisher: Chunsoft (JP), Aksys Games (NA)
Regions: JP, NA - 10.24.2012
006.jpg
0091014001320279272.jpg

Monster Hunter Tri G
Genre: Action RPG
Publisher: Capcom
Originally released for the Wii and did big numbers in the west, this port to the 3DS features 3D depth as well as new monsters to hunt down.
mhtri.png
mhtri2.png

Beyond the Labyrinth
Genre: Dungeon RPG
Publisher: Konami
beyondlabyrinth2.jpg
20520118ly.jpg

Denpa Ningen RPG (eShop)
Genre: RPG
Publisher: Genius Sonority
sozai_c8.jpg
sozai_c1.jpg

Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai
Genre: Rhythm/Music
Publisher: SEGA
Release: JP
Hatsune+Miku+and+Future+Stars+Project+Mirai_02.jpg
8.jpg

Crash City Mayhem
Genre: Racing
Publisher: Rocket Company (JP), Majesco (NA), Ghostlight (EU)
Release: JP, NA - Fall 2012
Runabout3dscreen.jpg
runabout.jpg

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
Genre: Simulation
Publisher: Marvelous AQL (JP), Natsume (US)
Release: JP, NA - Announced
harvestmoonlob.jpg
harvestmoonlob2.jpg

Girls RPG: Cinderellife
Genre: Hostess RPG
Publisher: Level 5

Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3: The Great Pirate Ship and Tails Troupe
Publisher: Square Enix
Release: JP, NA, EU, AU (all TBA)
images
DragonQuest3ds44.jpg

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Genre: Puzzle Adventure
Release: JP - 02.26.2011, NA, EU, AU (TBA 2012)
profesorlaytonpara3ds.jpg
professor_layton_mask_of_miracle-4.jpg

Unchained Blades
Publisher: XSEED Games
Release: JP (retail), NA - Summer 2012 (eShop/PSN)
unchain_blades_rexx_sc-11.jpg
unchain_blades_rexx_sc-21.jpg

Dynasty Warriors VS
Publisher: Tecmo Koei
Dynasty-Warriors-VS-1.jpg
dynasty+warriors+vs.jpg

Code of Princess
Publisher: Agatsuma Entertainment (JP), Atlus (NA)
Release: JP, NA - Fall 2012, EU - Fall 2012
Code-of-Princess-03.jpg
Code-of-Princess-2.jpeg

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Genre: Strategy RPG
Publisher: Nintendo
Release: JP, NA - Announced!, EU/AU (TBA)
FE3DSSumia.png
fireemblemc.jpg

Rune Factory 4
Publisher: Marvelous AQL
rune_factory_4_006.jpg
rune_factory_4_007.jpg

Minna no Ennichi
Genre: Mini-game Collection

Guild01
Genre: Adventure, Shooter, RPG, Simulation
0158462001318558950.jpg
guild_01_001.jpg

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
Publisher: Square-Enix
Dragon-Quest-Monsters-Terrys-Wonderland-3D-4.jpg
Dragon-Quest-Monsters-Terrys-Wonderland-3D-18.jpg

Calciobit
Genre: Soccer

Culdcept
Genre: Strategy
Release: JP - 06.28.2012
8WbEk.png
pGnRf.png

Jake Hunter: Rondo of Revenge
Genre: Point-and-Click Adventure
Publisher: Arc System Works
Release: JP - 06.28.2012

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legend of the Giant God
Publisher: Atlus
1Sc6f.jpg
Atq3h.jpg

Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost
Publisher: Level-5
kWtLG.png
TRGjC.png

Taiko no Tatsujin: Little Dragon and the Mysterious Orb
8w9HT.jpg
8mvSD.jpg

Time Travelers
Genre: ?
timetraverls.jpg
Time%2BTravelers.jpg

Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone
Genre: Edutainment
Release: EU - 07.28.2012, AU - 08.23.2012, JP - 09.13.2012, NA - 10.01.2012

Japanese Only games
Games in this category have not been confirmed or do not yet have release dates in western territories, but are available for purchase in Japan.

Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei
Publisher: Marvelous
Purchase: You need a JP 3DS, but buy it if you have one
Scantily-clad teenage schoolgirls on a mission.
TITS!
Enough said.

Senran-Kagura-screenshot-1.png
Senran-Kagura-screenshot-7.png

Gundam The 3D Battle
Purchase: You need a JP 3DS, buy it if you are a fan
Everyone's favorite fighting robots fight in 3D for the first time in over 70 missions.
gundam3d.png
gundam3d2.png

Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir
Genre: Survival Horror
Regions: JP, NA - 04.13.2012, EU - Q2 2012
Purchase: Yes, it's coming to the US!
fatalframeghostcamera01.jpg
fatalframeghostcamera02.jpg

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Genre: Adventure
Publisher: Chunsoft (makers of 999)
Regions: JP - 02.16.2012, NA - Announced Late 2012
006.jpg
0091014001320279272.jpg

Monster Hunter Tri G
Genre: Action RPG
Publisher: Capcom
Regions: JP, NA/EU/AU (TBA)
Purchase: Japan only for now
Originally released for the Wii and did big numbers in the west, this port to the 3DS features 3D depth as well as new monsters to hunt down.
mhtri.png
mhtri2.png

Beyond the Labyrinth
Genre: Dungeon RPG
Purchase: Japan only for now...
beyondlabyrinth2.jpg
20520118ly.jpg

Denpa Ningen RPG (eShop)
Publisher: Genius Sonority
sozai_c8.jpg
sozai_c1.jpg

Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure
Regions: JP, NA - 05.30.2012?, EU - 04.05.2012
Purchase: If you like Rhythm Heaven, you'll love this.
6150208591_7450e05c88.jpg
rhythm-thief-r-imagen-i289169-i.jpg

THEATRHYTHM: Final Fantasy
Publisher: Square-Enix
Release: JP, NA/EU/AU (TBA)
theatrhythm-final-fantasy-15.jpg
1837982-2132454236_full_super.jpg

Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai
Hatsune+Miku+and+Future+Stars+Project+Mirai_02.jpg
8.jpg

Crash City Mayhem
Genre: Racing
Publisher: Rocket Company (JP), Majesco (NA)
Release: JP, NA - Fall 2012
Runabout3dscreen.jpg
runabout.jpg

Harvest Moon: Land of Beginning
Genre: Simulation
Publisher: Marvelous AQL
Release: JP - 02.23.2012
harvestmoonlob.jpg
harvestmoonlob2.jpg

Girls RPG: Cinderellife
Genre: Hostess RPG
Release: JP - 03.08.2012

Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3: The Great Pirate Ship and Tails Troupe
Publisher: Square Enix
Release: JP - 11.02.2011, NA, EU, AU (all TBA)
images
DragonQuest3ds44.jpg

Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
Genre: Puzzle Adventure
Release: JP - 02.26.2011, NA, EU, AU (TBA 2012)
profesorlaytonpara3ds.jpg
professor_layton_mask_of_miracle-4.jpg

Shin Chan >>> all of those games

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
A 3DS Slime game? How could I have missed that? I love my Rocket Slime and always demand more.

I'm still noticing a distinct lack of Metroidvania though.

Why would you waste your time on the inferior Picross 3D when there'a much superior version on the eShop. ePicross!

Available only in Japan :/

n9zXX.png

Why would you waste your time posting on message boards when you could be sucking and blowing?

Thanks :). I knew I had read about it! NOE localisation pls!

EDIT: I just Googled it and it is Picross-e, not ePicross, and looks like a normal Picross game rather than the lovely 3D version I am currently playing :x.

matmanx1

Thanks for the updated JP only list. It's timely considering I am in the middle of trying to decide what game(s) to import with my j-3DS next month. My Japanese language skills are elementary so I tend to avoid story heavy games and RPG's for the most part.

My interest in Project Mirai is rising and I still think Senran Kagura looks fun in a sophomoric way. Theatrhythm and Princess Crown are on my must play list but I'm willing to hold off on those for a couple of months to see if we get any kind of localization announcements. How's that Gundam 3D Battle game? Anyone tried it?

StayDead

Japanese Only games
Games in this category have not been confirmed or do not yet have release dates in western territories, but are available for purchase in Japan.

You've missed one!

New Love Plus
Genre: Love Simulation
Release: JP - 02.14.2012
You either love it or you hate it. Love Plus comes to 3DS.
Y1HBB.jpg

dreamahm

Banned
Okay, we already have:

street fighter 4 & Tekken 3d Prime edition & dead or alive dimention & Blaze Blue.

Where is Street fighter vs Tekken & mortal Kombat & Soul Calibur 5 & Marvel vs Capcom 3?

You think 3ds can handle it like tekken 3d prime edition with 60fps?

Why 3rd party lost there minds and miss alot of money?

@MUWANdo

Banned
I know .

But why not multi on both handheld like other games?

Console-to-Vita ports are much easier than console-to-3DS ports - the hardware gap is a lot smaller which means devs can port games with relatively little effort, whereas the gulf between current-gen consoles and 3DS is such that it requires significantly more work to get console games running on 3DS at all, much less running at 60FPS in 3D.

There's also the launch window factor - publishers are more confident about throwing fighting games out there when the pickings are slim. That window has closed for 3DS.

Also, Sony buys exclusives, like, all the time.

Not too concerned about the graphics per se but the framerate in the vids so far has me worried. I want this too be good.

yeah, it seems like a mixed bag. Some intense sequences show no framerate issues while simply panning the camera around gets troublesome. Let's hope for the best, this kind of games is well suited for portables

yeah, it seems like a mixed bag. Some intense sequences show no framerate issues while simply panning the camera around gets troublesome. Let's hope for the best, this kind of games is well suited for portables
It sure is and the features sound really well thought out - drop in/out multi, voicechat (iirc) etc. Let's cross fingers!

neoemonk

no point in getting a ds lite anymore, unless you crave GBA games on the go

myself, I usually move on every generation (so last gen games are less meaningful to me personally), and as a result i barely play even regular DS games on the 3DS

but the few that I have been playing, although there are many complaints about the resolution, I find you get used to it and its not a huge issue for the most part.

3DS is the way to go.

Nice avatar. I went to visit family in Montreal for Christmas in 2010 and found a Nordiques hat.

On topic, it's jarring at first but I did get used to it.

NewFresh

It sure is and the features sound really well thought out - drop in/out multi, voicechat (iirc) etc. Let's cross fingers!

I've been looking forward to it for a while. I'm glad they are touching up the visuals since they pushed the game back, but I hope they are focusing their attention on gameplay aspects as well.

Lijik

I recently completed Frogger 3D! I really recommend this title to people. Some of the later level design is kinda bunk and frustratingly luck based but overall its a very strong package with creative stage designs. It took about 5-6 hours to play through the campaign, and afterwards it seems the game continues with harder variations of the original stages so theres a sizable amount of content.

I also recently picked up Shinobi and Dream Trigger 3D. Has anyone else played Dream Trigger? The game seems neat but I cant last more than a few seconds in the main mode. I played the tutorial so I get the mechanics, but handling all of them at once seems too much for me. Shinobi seems pretty fun. Great animation and the controls feel great! Haven't gotten to far though.

The two "new" pac-man and Galaga titles are fun distractions, but I can't see myself playing them too often, the same goes for the classics, but it's a good job the other two are brilliant.

I really like the pacman platformer in this package, but the level design halfway through becomes too precise for the controls. Its too bad

I really, really hope we get FFTheathrythm and Denpa Ningen, would buy both of them day one. It would be nice if we got Monster Hunter 3G, too(and even nicer if we get online). I'm hoping for a lot of localization announcements at E3...

there's a new Heroes of Ruin trailer floating around
graphics have improved a bit afaics
This looks nice, I hope it sells well so we can see more of these kind of games. Sadly, I won't be able to get it day one, but I'll most likely get it a while after.

I recently completed Frogger 3D! I really recommend this title to people. Some of the later level design is kinda bunk and frustratingly luck based but overall its a very strong package with creative stage designs. It took about 5-6 hours to play through the campaign, and afterwards it seems the game continues with harder variations of the original stages so theres a sizable amount of content.
I really liked this game until I reached the 2nd level in the Asia-like world. I cannot complete that level... it's a shame because I liked the level design a lot. It's sad that some parts are really, really frustrating.

Has anyone else played Dream Trigger? The game seems neat but I cant last more than a few seconds in the main mode. I played the tutorial so I get the mechanics, but handling all of them at once seems too much for me.
I own that game. I really liked it, but I didn't complete it because I don't know how to progress now(I can't unlock new stages). I think I just fought like, 2 bosses? There are some bosses icons on the map that I can't reach. I really liked the controls, they worked perfectly for me and I have completed every single stage available to me without losing a life. I recommend you to give the tutorial another go, once you get the hang of it, it becomes a really fun game.

Lijik

I really liked this game until I reached the 2nd level in the Asia-like world. I cannot complete that level... it's a shame because I liked the level design a lot. It's sad that some parts are really, really frustrating.
Ugh. The asian world is the worst, the only times i skipped ahead by paying my way to the next stage. It has some neat stages like one at a sushi resturaunt and one in a zen garden, but overall it has the games most frustrating stages.

Its too bad because the world after that has the games craziest level designs and the last boss is pretty cool.

matmanx1

I really, really hope we get FFTheathrythm and Denpa Ningen, would buy both of them day one. It would be nice if we got Monster Hunter 3G, too(and even nicer if we get online). I'm hoping for a lot of localization announcements at E3...

You and me both, man. And if there isn't an absolute SLEW of localization announcements for 3DS at E3 then I will probably retire my American 3DS for the most part and just stick to my J-3DS for most everything. 2nd half of this year better be brimming with localized 3DS software and I hope that NOA and key third parties do not let us down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom