• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sells 4.5 million in first year on sale in America

Actually, according to NPD, NDS (51.4 million) has outpaced PS2 (46.4 million) LTD as of January 2012's reporting period.

The ds has outsold the ps2 in all major game buying countries though i think the ps2 is sold in more countries overall so is slightly ahead

<3 3DS

I knew it would kick ass. Looking forward for the inevitable onslaught of 1st and 3rd party goodness in the years to come.

In the long-term, I reckon the 3DS library will be one of the most cherished in my collection.

I don't think anyone is saying the Wii should have launched at a demand killing price - say, $599. However, I think it's pretty clear Nintendo could have continued selling out Wii's at say, twenty more dollars a box. Because Nintendo underpriced the console, they lost millions of dollars.
$20? Why not $25, $39, $57.93, or $82.39!?!

botty

Banned
<3 3DS

I knew it would kick ass. Looking forward for the inevitable onslaught of 1st and 3rd party goodness in the years to come.

In the long-term, I reckon the 3DS library will be one of the most cherished in my collection.

I feel as though the 3DS could be the second coming of the PS2 in terms of software. If that makes sense.

Petrae

The ds has outsold the ps2 in all major game buying countries though i think the ps2 is sold in more countries overall so is slightly ahead

This thread is centered around US numbers and data, so that's why I pulled these figures. NDS has been outpacing PS2 here for quite some time.

idwl

Plus the ps2 has an extra 5 years of sales against the ds. So ds is definitely the fastest selling video games system ever right?

Anteo

The only problem with all the "SECOND STICK 3DSi LOL" argument is; current games that utilise the CPP work strictly through Infrared connection.

They'd either have to patch all those titles or have an internal infrared sensor, which would be fucking stupid.

They could do something in the firmware of the 3dsxl so it "thinks" it has an infrared port and it's currently equiped with a ccp.

Anyways, I don't think we will get a 3dscppxl at all, how many games support the cpp? like 4?

Kazerei

Banned
Whats the actual number for DS in year 2 since thats the target everyone is quick to question?

Here are hardware shipments

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1112.pdf
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/xls/consolidated_sales_e1112.xls

EDIT: It's not really comparable to NPD sales figures, but basically,

Fiscal year ending March 2005: 2.19 MM units shipped
Fiscal year ending March 2006: 2.92 MM units shipped
Fiscal year ending March 2007: 6.63 MM units shipped
Fiscal year ending March 2008: 10.65 MM units shipped
Fiscal year ending March 2009: 12.07 MM units shipped
Fiscal year ending March 2010: 12.29 MM units shipped
Fiscal year ending March 2011: 8.39 MM units shipped

Note that the DS launched in November 2004, and the DS Lite launched in June 2006. These numbers are for "the Americas"

EDIT2: So I guess the question is if the 3DS can reach the 10MM+/year height that the DS achieved. It's looking pretty good so far.

They could do something in the firmware of the 3dsxl so it "thinks" it has an infrared port and it's currently equiped with a ccp.

Anyways, I don't think we will get a 3dscppxl at all, how many games support the cpp? like 4?

It'd be difficult to do in firmware as it'd need someway to switch between frankenstick mode and non frankenstick mode and also the frankenstick replaces one of the existing shoulder buttons i can see that being difficult to get round

Yeah i'm sure they will make frankensticks for the revisions if for no other reason than mh4 will assumedly support it

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You mean 24 months? I have 6.6 million at the end of October 2006 in the U.S. Is that what people want?

I think so. So, it'll easily surpass first DS' two years. I mean, it needs "just" 2.1 millions to surpass them, and with no doubt it'll do more than that just this Christmas XD
So, the REAL challenge will start in the third year, I suppose.

Kazerei

Banned
You mean 24 months? I have 6.6 million at the end of October 2006 in the U.S. Is that what people want?

Can you give us the sum from March 2005 to February 2007 inclusive? Basically cut out the 2004 holiday season and replace with the 2006 holiday season.

Truth. It still needs this year (at least) to do it.

Nope. 2 mill more and DS passes it. 151.06 vs 153.19
My unserious point is that it's not a video game system, but a computer entertainment system.

But more seriously, DS has slowed down a lot, especially with the 3DS price drop giving little reason to get a DS instead. It's still up in the air which will end up ahead when their tails are complete.
ScreenSplitter said:
The only problem with all the "SECOND STICK 3DSi LOL" argument is; current games that utilise the CPP work strictly through Infrared connection.

They'd either have to patch all those titles or have an internal infrared sensor, which would be fucking stupid.
It should be completely within their control to make a toggleable "CPP mode" that just treats the second stick/shoulder data internally as if it's coming in from the infrared, without actually needing an internal infrared sensor.
idwl said:
Plus the ps2 has an extra 5 years of sales against the ds. So ds is definitely the fastest selling video games system ever right?
At least after passing Wii up 3-4 years in.
Wii_WW

jvm

Gamasutra.
Can you give us the sum from March 2005 to February 2007 inclusive? Basically cut out the 2004 holiday season and replace with the 2006 holiday season.
My records say 8.34 million from March 2005 to February 2007, including the end months.

Celine

But more seriously, DS has slowed down a lot, especially with the 3DS price drop giving little reason to get a DS instead. It's still up in the air which will end up ahead when their tails are complete.
I don't think Nintendo really care to support a system beyond a certain point.
They are more concerned that the new platform get a good penetration so to sell the next wave of games.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm so glad they were wrong. I was genuinely concerned that mobile phone games would kill off the dedicated handheld market and I'm relieved that it has not come to pass.
I've felt sadness when some people tried to push the idea that handhelds were having their last breath but it just never made any logical sense for it to happen.

Cipherr

So if we're looking at about 250k for feb it'll be hilarious if it beats vitas debut

I'd rather it didn't. The thread would be poisoned before it even started.

OTOH though, happy to see the systems success, and a staggeringly silent treatment from so many of those who were so vocal just mere months ago about 3DS and Vita both having no chance in the face of smartphones. Funny how most of those guys stick to the Vita threads specifically now since its having growing pains at the moment, and pretend the 3DS no longer exists.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So if we're looking at about 250k for feb it'll be hilarious if it beats vitas debut

Full month vs. half/quarter month (depending on version). It would mean nothing.

So, has any major system in history sold worse in year 2 than year 1?
The PSP comes to mind

1_thumb.jpg

Have any other systems done 4.5m US thier first NPD year? Like PS2, GBA or Wii maybe?

GBA/Wii

2_thumb.jpg

Yes,and it's not even close...

3_thumb.jpg

However,PlayStation home consoles have incredible sales stamina due to strong emerging market demand

Truth. It still needs this year (at least) to do it.

Nope. 2 mill more and DS passes it. 151.06 vs 153.19

It's 154.4 (sell-in) vs 151.06

I don't know what to say;it's hard to predict

2011-- Hardware Shipments

NDS 6.46 m (LTD: 151.06)

PS2 4.7 m (LTD: 154.4)

Top Bottom