• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sells 4.5 million in first year on sale in America

Kazerei

Banned
2_thumb.jpg

Neat. It makes the DS's first year look bad, but it exploded later on. Will be interesting to see how 3DS compares in the long run.

idwl

Why doesn't nintendo try to reach out to other markets like india, brazil , china etc?
Plus what are the prices for the DS in the US now? I think they shouldn't have discontinued the lite and kept it going for $79 or so. If the ds is as supported as the ps2 was even with the release of the ps3 ds could have 200Million right?

Why doesn't nintendo try to reach out to other markets like india, brazil , china etc?
Plus what are the prices for the DS in the US now? I think they shouldn't have discontinued the lite and kept it going for $79 or so. If the ds is as supported as the ps2 was even with the release of the ps3 ds could have 200Million right?

the ds was sold in china but i dont think the wii ever was for some strange reason and i dont think the 3ds is yet

By my guess the manufacturing cost difference between the lite and the dsi is probably so small it'd cost them more to run a seperate line to build it

idwl

the ds was sold in china but i dont think the wii ever was for some strange reason and i dont think the 3ds is yet

Does nintendo have a reason behind that? Thats a lot of customers they're not reaching out to. Plus why was the ds sold under Ique or something and not Nintendo DS

Does nintendo have a reason behind that? Thats a lot of customers they're not reaching out to. Plus why was the ds sold under Ique or something and not Nintendo DS

Ique i think is a joint venture between themselves and a chinese company, probably makes it easy for them to actually get access to the chinese market

NeonZ

I've seen tv commercials for the 3DS here in Brazil. But I guess the market willing to buy a game system and not pirate games is just too small, epecially due to the utterly absurb prices of systems and games in general here.

GCX

Nintendo has sort of branded itself as iQue in China. The first console they released in China was iQue Player in 2003 and after that they probably just haven't bothered to rebrand the company as Nintendo.

mclem

It should be completely within their control to make a toggleable "CPP mode" that just treats the second stick/shoulder data internally as if it's coming in from the infrared, without actually needing an internal infrared sensor.

It'd look very counterintuitive for the general end-user for a toggle to switch between CPP and infrared, mind. They're two things that don't really make sense to be one-or-the-other unless you're aware of the internal workings of the system.

pramath

Banned

I have wondered about this myself.
No Nintendo product, except for the NES, original Gameboy and the GBA were ever sold in India, I think.
Considering the potential of the market as well as its growth rate, as well as the returns that Microsoft and Sony are reaping, I would say it is a logical move.
But the only indication we have ever gotten is a statement from Iwata about a desire to move into the Indian market eventually.

Actually, Nintendo is going to start selling their products in Brazil soon.
Interview with Reggie. They see the market potential. It's twice as big as Mexico and has a growing middle class.

Never mind the header, the people that posted it like to be sensational.

iifu

Neo Member
Mainly because of rampant piracy. Home consoles are also banned in mainland China for example and the only way to get any decent foothold over there is to form a partnership with a local company (see: iQue.)

Mainly because of rampant piracy. Home consoles are also banned in mainland China for example and the only way to get any decent foothold over there is to form a partnership with a local company (see: iQue.)

Which is why i'm surprised there was never an ique wii

I think only handhelds and plug-and-play versions of consoles are allowed by law. A plug-and-play version of a disc-based system is not worth the trouble.

Seriously thats a pretty bizare law, surely nintendo has enough money to give the right officials a back hander to get that changed

Seriously thats a pretty bizare law, surely nintendo has enough money to give the right officials a back hander to get that changed

I don't think a disc based console in China really makes much sense from their perspective anyway. Something more like a DD-only Wii (with access to GC, Wii, WiiWare, VC) could work though, but that'd some major hardware revision on iQue's part.

Top Bottom