• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS smuggled off a Chinese assembly line

Spiegel said:
I think it will be easier to use for people who got used to the awkward nub on the psp because it's in the same position.
Yeah, you just hold the left side differently than usual when you want to use the D-pad as primary instead of the nub (i.e. hold the machine's left side with your fingers rather than in your palm). I had to get used to this control method when I used the PSP nub and also when I used the GBA Micro D-pad.

ITA84

Notorious_Roy said:
This CE looks to be the real one. The official CE mark consists of the two letters on two imaginary circles. While the China Export are close together.
Now that I think about it, I only heard about the CE trick once on tv; now I have no idea what it should mean anymore. I simply trust the MADE IN tag.

beje

Banned
Jaagen said:
I think it's a reference to "Two Girls, One Cup".

Anyhow, it's nice to see it having a "smartphone sized" battery(1300mAH)

It's going to need a really strong battery if they intend it to work as shown on the concept video with automatic tag mode on sleep, auto-downloading updates and demos as soon as a wifi hotspot is detected and all that, so yay!

Takao

Banned
While there are other factors involved in battery consumption *cough*UMD*cough* it's interesting to note that the Extended Battery for the PSP is 2200 mAh, which Sony says should give you anywhere from 5 to 11 hours of gameplay.

I think the D-pad placement is fine. Nintendo wouldn't make it uber-uncomfortable, knowing lots of ppl will use it for DS-games and VC

Cosmonaut X said:
It was a reference to a rather notorious internet video...

which I don't know because I am an old grumpy bitter man.
may you enlighten me, pls

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
angelfly said:
This guy is awesome but I feel sorry for him if he gets caught.

Why would you ? I mean its nice to get some pics/impressions...but at the end of the day its theft.

Takao

Banned
iamaustrian said:
which I don't know because I am an old grumpy bitter man.
may you enlighten me, pls

You don't want to be enlightened with knowledge of 2 girls, 1 cup. Trust me on that.

Vinci

Danish
Jaagen said:
Well doesn't it say "Press A+X to start CTR-cart"? Seems to me that it's a command to boot from the cart slot(if it's not for 3DS only carts)

Ah, hadn't noticed that. Who knows then. But I figure he would have shown it if it had worked, no?

angelfly

cw_sasuke said:
Why would you ? I mean its nice to get some pics/impressions...but at the end of the day its theft.
I'm not denying it's theft but to I'd still feel sorry for the guy losing his job over trying to give us fans what we want. Same way I'd feel sorry if any one leaking documents to wikileaks gets caught.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
angelfly said:
I'm not denying it's theft but to I'd still feel sorry for the guy losing his job over trying to give us fans what we want. Same way I'd feel sorry if any one leaking documents to wikileaks gets caught.
How do you know it isnt just about the money at the end ? But like i said, im thankful for impressions.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
antonz said:
I can make out 2 of the debug options
START for DevMenu
X+A for Start CTR Card

These, and the bit about the SDK version in the first shot, sound like strange sorts of things to be in any way in a retail unit.

Are we sure this came off an assembly line? That it didn't come out of a software studio? It sounds more like a debug dev unit or something. Then again, units for developers have to be manufactured somewhere too...

edit - it would be interesting to know what's in 'DevMenu'.

Ponn

Banned
angelfly said:

I don't, he's a dumbass. Endangering his job, fines and jailtime for 15 minutes of fame on some internet forums for a device that will more than likely be fully revealed in less than a couple weeks and releasing to the mass public in 3 months. Seriously, priorities and thinking.

wsippel

Banned
Jaagen said:
Well doesn't it say "Press A+X to start CTR-cart"? Seems to me that it's a command to boot from the cart slot(if it's not for 3DS only carts)
It's probably able to boot a 3DS (CTR) cart, as this is probably the way they install the actual OS, but DS and DSi carts are designated NTR and TWL, respectively.

Jaagen

wsippel said:
It's probably able to boot a 3DS (CTR) cart, as this is probably the way they install the actual OS, but DS and DSi carts are designated NTR and TWL, respectively.

Yeah, you're probably right. It would have been cool seeing Mario DS run on the 3DS. I wonder if it upscales/streches the image to fit the screen?

-viper-

Banned
Nintendo quite literally have the worse designers on the planet. The 3DS looks fucking horrible. I can't believe everyone is buying into their garbage looking hardware.

wwm0nkey

-viper- said:
Nintendo quite literally have the worse designers on the planet. The 3DS looks fucking horrible. I can't believe everyone is buying into their garbage looking hardware.
It feels fucking nice in my hands thats all I care about.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ok, but why does it have to be so ugly

Takao

Banned
Chinese people are not taking kindly to a westerner telling them not to sell the 3DS to pirate companies.

-viper- said:

who cares?
it may not win a price for it's beauty but at least Nintendo gives a shit about quality hardware. Also i want to play games on it. it isn't a make up mirror

and aren't you a bit exaggerating? I mean, garbage looking? seriously?

Jackano

gofreak said:
These, and the bit about the SDK version in the first shot, sound like strange sorts of things to be in any way in a retail unit.

Are we sure this came off an assembly line? That it didn't come out of a software studio? It sounds more like a debug dev unit or something. Then again, units for developers have to be manufactured somewhere too...

edit - it would be interesting to know what's in 'DevMenu'.

In my opinion, it could be from the assembly line but before the unit is completely built and the OS injected into the hardware. Like a blank 3DS...

Vinci

Danish
-viper- said:

Yeah, it's too bad product design is entirely about looks - otherwise, they might have found a niche to fit into.

EDIT: Beyond that, read my Nintendo and Apple comment before. I honestly believe they purposely fuck with what was originally a very beautiful design in order to incentivize upgrades later.

Takao said:
Chinese people are not taking kindly to a westerner telling them not to sell the 3DS to pirate companies.

Well, of course not. I don't know if you know anything about Chinese culture (I'm an expert)....

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jackano said:
In my opinion, it could be from the assembly line but before the unit is completely built and the OS injected into the hardware. Like a blank 3DS...

The back is probably off because there is a couple of contact points in there someplace where they connect it and flash it on.

antonz

Takao said:

More offended by the long term poster Westerner implying chinese cant be well off.I suspect and it seems to be the case this guy got access to a unit by a factory worker more than he is one

Top Bottom