• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS smuggled off a Chinese assembly line

sasimirobot

antonz said:
heh they know we are talking about them now apparently.

老外居然也在讨论这个帖子!!!???

嗨,外国朋友你们好!!!(要出名趁现在)

Foreigners are actually discuss this post! ! ! ? ? ?

I want to take this oppurtunity to say hi to our foreign friends!!

[edit] better translation

Vinci

Danish
swerve said:
The usefulness of the DPAD really depends on how adept you are with them. I mean, on the SNES, my hands were too big, so I learnt to use them with the middle-section of my thumb. That skill is still going to work for the 3DS.

However, most people can't even do 'hold one button and press another' so I guess it's barely going to be used for most games. :(

It'll be used mostly for item switching and other such vital but short-lived necessities. Which is fine. It's served that role rather well for a while now on consoles.

EDIT: Someone should probably stop worrying so much about Nintendo and be concerned for how the guy's company is going to treat him. Can't believe he posted his QQ number.

XPE

Vinci said:
Are people just now realizing that the D-Pad is going to be relegated to minor functions in likely the vast majority of 3DS titles? The moment analog showed up, that should have been obvious.

I find that strange as well, people still expected to use the dpad for game in any meaningful way :lol

sasimirobot

Vinci said:
o and be concerned for how the guy's company is going to treat him. Can't believe he posted his QQ number.

I think the photos where given to the starter of that thread by somebody else, have to work on the translation...

Spiegel

XPE said:
I find that strange as well, people still expected to use the dpad for game in any meaningful way :lol

Yes

6kUzN.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The select, start, and home buttons could really use a better spot/replacement. :/

gerg

sasimirobot said:
Foreigners are actually discuss this post! ! ! ? ? ?

I want to take this oppurtunity to say hi to our foreign friends!!

[edit] better translation

The best English, imo, would be:

Foreigners are actually discussing this post!?

I want to take this opportunity to say "Hi!" to our foreign friends!

I'm not sure how that compares to the original Chinese, though.

Edit: Regarding the leaker's future, I imagine he'll be fired, but if you don't want to lose your job you don't post pictures of smuggled products on the internets.

swerve

I love you, Spiegel.

As well as VC, people should also not forget the DS. All of the games work on 3DS, too.

Having a useable game-controlling D-pad is essential for Nintendo. As such, I am hopeful that I'll be able to use it just fine without bending my thumb, but instead using the area around the middle-joint (inside of the 'knuckle') just as I do on many other dpads.

Vinci

Danish
sasimirobot said:
I think the photos where given to the starter of that thread by somebody else, have to work on the translation...

Seriously. Whoever actually took the thing needs to be careful. Chinese companies treat their factory workers like shit; and given a worker has potentially earned them a pissed-off phone call from a client, that treatment could become even worse.

sinxtanx

I don't know if we knew the three letter short for the code name before, but now that we do know for sure, I wonder what it stands for.

CTR

ConTRol
CaTeRpillar
CaTRape
CiTRus
Crash Team Racing
CaTastRophy
speCTRe

markot

Banned
The Dpad doesnt look that bad, even the positioning isnt too uncomfortable... judging by pretending my DS has the dpad there >.<

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
XPE said:

D-pad still works best in many situations, beating touch and analogue.

Example, navigating menus, which really comes into play during strategy games or adventure games (which kind of play like nothing but menus) both of which are massive reasons for DS success. Playing Advance Wars with the dpad is still the way to go.

Vinci

Danish
kaizoku said:
D-pad still works best in many situations, beating touch and analogue.

Example, navigating menus, which really comes into play during strategy games or adventure games (which kind of play like nothing but menus) both of which are massive reasons for DS success. Playing Advance Wars with the dpad is still the way to go.

If developers create games with the system's design in mind, and don't particularly suck at their jobs, it will never become an issue. I'll give Spiegel a point in terms of legacy title support, but for new games it shouldn't be a concern.

Spiegel

swerve said:
I love you, Spiegel.

As well as VC, people should also not forget the DS. All of the games work on 3DS, too.

Having a useable game-controlling D-pad is essential for Nintendo. As such, I am hopeful that I'll be able to use it just fine without bending my thumb, but instead using the area around the middle-joint (inside of the 'knuckle') just as I do on many other dpads.

I think it will be easier to use for people who got used to the awkward nub on the psp because it's in the same position.

ITA84

XPE said:
CE on it do American products have this on it or is it only for the EU market ?
That's actually 'China Export', i.e. a way for the Chinese to make Europeans believe it's not a Chinese product. The actual CE mark has the letters put close together.

EDIT: nevermind, got it backwards

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's some more debug output on the bottom screen when it starts up...can't really see what it says.

Speaking of which, I guess it implies it was swiped off the assembly line before the 'real' OS was put on it? Which is sort of a shame, since they might have found more interesting info if the OS was on there.

markot

Banned
ITA84 said:
That's actually 'China Export', i.e. a way for the Chinese to make Europeans believe it's not a Chinese product. The actual CE mark has the letters put close together.
>_<... the Made In China you see on every bit would kind of counter it though...

antonz

gofreak said:
There's some more debug output on the bottom screen when it starts up...can't really see what it says.

Speaking of which, I guess it implies it was swiped off the assembly line before the 'real' OS was put on it? Which is sort of a shame, since they might have found more interesting info if the OS was on there.

I can make out 2 of the debug options
START for DevMenu
X+A for Start CTR Card

ITA84 said:
This CE looks to be the real one. The official CE mark consists of the two letters on two imaginary circles. While the China Export are close together.

Wichu

ITA84 said:
Wiki says it's the other way round; the China Export mark has the letters close together.

Takao

Banned
Dude with the camera is cutting it awfully close there. Should've worn a ski mask or something.

Spiegel said:
I think it will be easier to use for people who got used to the awkward nub on the psp because it's in the same position.

I don't think reverse claw will work well.

Top Bottom