• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

I just don't like content locked behind a toy. Like people have said, it's dlc. Just gonna be harder to get due to you having to buy a toy to unlock it. Major turnoff for me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
this really is one of those situations where players must continue giving nintendo as much crap as they can so they don't keep doing this with other games. imagine there being a new mario suit trapped behind an amiibo and you couldn't unlock it any other way.

Well...

About that...

(Of course, we don't know the full details. Mario Maker locked costumes behind Amiibo, but you could unlock them with an alternative in-game method)

dan2026

this really is one of those situations where players must continue giving nintendo as much crap as they can so they don't keep doing this with other games. imagine there being a new mario suit trapped behind an amiibo and you couldn't unlock it any other way.
I fully expect Mario Odyssey to be chock full of Amiibo DLC.

'Wanna play as Luigi?'
'Too bad! Buy this $15 tat! If you can find it! Bwahahahaha!'

Edit: oh wow I was right lol.

Rncewind

they are doing this already. At least we have no information if wedding suit mario is gonna be obtainble normally.

Meanwhile we have 2 threads on shadow of mordor where nobody defend this shit, good times.

It's unclear from the statement, is Fusion Mode supposed to be even harder than Hard Mode? Or just basically the same Hard Mode with an added costume?

Either way it's still annoying as hell... I really don't like where they seem to be going with Amiibos. All of these bonuses really need to be available as DLC too.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's probably good that it's locked behind a separate Amiibo. This way those who don't want it aren't forced to pay for it.

Nintendo working on a matching tie for those clown shoes.

If it's just the fusion suit, cool. If there is still a difficulty mode locked behind the toy, fuckouttahere.

Locking difficulty modes behind DLC is unacceptable. Especially when it's a day one thing. It was awful when Metro did it with Ranger Mode and it's awful now.

Neifirst

Was Nintendo concerned that there wouldn't be demand for these amiibo without extra unlockables? That squishy metroid sells itself!

I mean, let's just be real: Nintendo became in no time the king of greedy companies and anti-consumer crap. It was pretty obvious when they locked out amazing content behind Amiibos in Zelda Botw.

What's the difference between a pre-order bonus or a limited edition and this?

Most preorder bonus become available later. And they're not a fuckin 15 dollars toy with limited stocks just to get a costume.
15 dollars for ONE costume and a harder mode.

B_Signal

Apologies if this has already been answered, but can you use any Metroid amiibo or does it have to specifically be the one for this game

Personally I dont have a problem with amiibo in most cases (pretty much all of em really) but I dont wanna buy the figures. I'm anti clutter in that sense. Pretty much why I dont buy em. That said, locking a hard mode is pretty crappy. Seems like they wanna monetize Metroid since it wont set the world on fire.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We're quickly reaching a point where having already on-disc/on-catridge stuff which has always been in the base game for 30 years (and/or new stuff) locked behind a $-€15 physical toy is becoming an industry standard, and people complaining about it are accused of being unreasonable or entitled.

Let that sink in. Once upon a time (like more or less 10 years ago) DLC didn't even exist.

I think we can have a balance.

Woolly World is a good example of Amiibo usage. The game itself already had skins to unlock, one per level in fact, but with Amiibo, you could unlock Nintendo themed costumes. They didn't really add anything to the game, were kept separate from the in-game costumes, and in fact lead to costumes you wouldn't normally see like a Pac-Man skin. They were a neat bonus for owning your favourite Amiibo (one shouldn't be forced to have a figurine of a character one doesn't really want) but you weren't missing anything if you didn't own any. Also, it means all Amiibo were treated equally (minor exception with the Pokémon ones)

On the flipside, Twilight Princess HD was rather bad. It only worked with Zelda ones for starters, so all your other Amiibo were useless. But the kicker was the Ganondorf functionality. Link giving you a full stock of arrows isn't really something I'm worried about missing out on, since I can just buy more arrows in game if I ran out (which I hardy ever do), but Ganondorf unlocked a bonus hard mode - double damage.

The thing is, in TPHD - hard mode was combined with mirrored mode. This means if you wanted to play the game with the original orientation - which as a Wii version owner was a selling point for me, I couldn't play it with added difficulty without buying one very specific Amiibo.

Basically good amiibo usage should be:
  • accessible to all Amiibo, or at least a broad series cross section.
  • not tie anything to just one Amiibo - especially with the alternative versions of some characters. All Links should just be seen as Link.
  • Provide something that's an alternative to what's already available, not something completely new e.g. costumes
  • Bonus - just be a quick key to unlocking something from the get go, but you can still unlock it another way e.g. Mario Maker's costumes

I still don't understand WHY a difficulty is DLC , and why this is ok that it is on an amibo or on the e-shop.

To me it doesn't matter if fusion mode or hard mode is the same difficulty or not ... why the heck is this DLC ?

Rncewind

Apologies if this has already been answered, but can you use any Metroid amiibo or does it have to specifically be the one for this game

you need the new amiibo for the fusion mode. You essentialy need atleast 3 amiibos to unlock everything in this game, as far i understand it

OCD Guy

Hell nooooo lol.

Seriously that's what makes it worse. They do different figurines for the same game with each offering different stuff.

Nintendo want you to buy as many amiibo as possible. By making more than one amiibo unlock the same stuff, it goes against that.

I don't think amiibo are pro-consumer at all, but if (and it's a big if) they made it that all you needed was one amiibo that unlocked the same stuff in all the games I'd be ok with it. So for example a mario amiibo would unlock any dlc in all mario games, then it would certainly be more friendly to consumers.

But right now you have to sometimes buy the same character in different poses, each offering different content.

Maybe they can release a Metroid amiibo in a taking shit pose, as a sort of symbol of what Nintendo are doing to customers.

I can't think of a pre-order bonus/limited edition that gated an entire difficulty mode besides Resident Evil 7 (which was only early access to a harder difficulty mode, beating the game still gave it to people for free) and Ranger Mode in Metro Last Light (which had a huge backlash among fans).

Oh hey look, Nintendo actually managed to pull their heads out of their asses and communicate. Still mad any amiibo, but at least now I don't feel like I'm being spit on.

Now about the sound test and other features...

I don't mind DLC. I abhor DLC locked to a physical object. Grody

I don't care about the harder difficulty but I'd like the suit. Sucks. Nintendo has a way of somehow giving me what I want in a way where I don't want it anymore.

dan2026

you need the new amiibo for the fusion mode. You essentialy need atleast 3 amiibos to unlock everything in this game, as far i understand it
So The game is $40, plus 3 x $15 amiibo.
That's an $85 investment to have everything.

Nintendo want your flesh, your bones and the marrow therein.

mindsale

Why are people saying it's a problem that it's locked behind a $15 toy?

It's a problem that it's locked behind a $15 toy they made fucking three of.

Marcel

Oh hey look, Nintendo actually managed to pull their heads out of their asses and communicate. Still mad any amiibo, but at least now I don't feel like I'm being spit on.

Now about the sound test and other features...

Nintendo communicates all the time, they just don't do it particularly well. Remember when Reggie said the WiiU was "infinitely complex and yet perfectly simple"?

OCD Guy

Even if there was so much stock that everyone on the planet could buy 10 each, I'd still be against it.

There's no value there for people who don't want the figurines. Is a hard mode and costume worth 15$? No. So what about people that only want the mode and costume?

What's the big deal in simply offering any dlc on the eshop seperately? Are people that buy amiibos worried it devalues them or something?! Because honestly I think the type that buys amiibos would buy them with no content at all.

I can't see the majority of amiibo purchasers being people who only buy it for the content they unlock....

Same old bullshit from Nintendo, locking on-disc content behind limited physical toys.

Good news this should calm down people alot.
Did you even read the content of the post, or did you just read the thread title and decide you wanted the first post in the thread?

I am reading it as an amiibo that is hard to get which unlocks a fusion suit that Nintendo will deliver to you so you can wear it while playing the hard mode you can unlock by patting your stomach and your head at the same time while assuring the 3DS the Switch won't make it go away?

So The game is $40, plus 3 x $15 amiibo.
That's an $85 investment to have everything.

Nintendo want your flesh, your bones and the marrow therein.

So a little bit cheaper than deluxe editions of games or season pass bought separately while being a physical item which retains some value and will work once servers are down. Also not really anything crucial locked out.

Still the best DLC for your money's worth.

Rncewind

Nekketsu Kõha;245667098 said:
So a little bit cheaper than deluxe editions of games or season pass bought separately while being a physical item which retains some value and will work once servers are down. Also not really anything crucial locked out.

i wish nintendo would have devoleped shadow of mordor, would love to see your spin on that, would been for the archives

13ruce

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245667098 said:

Yeah but one problem scalpers will triple the price of the amiibo... You only get em for that price if you get em fast.

Because, and I say this from the bottom of my heart, the idea of locking game content to a figurine is the most annoying, shitheaded thing I can think of.

I do not want toys. At all. Ever.

Dr. A

Nintendo communicates all the time, they just don't do it particularly well. Remember when Reggie said the WiiU was "infinitely complex and yet perfectly simple"?

Never trust a man who asks "what's wrong with you?" while he looks like a flesh golem.

entremet

I don't mind DLC. I abhor DLC locked to a physical object. Grody

I don't care about the harder difficulty but I'd like the suit. Sucks. Nintendo has a way of somehow giving me what I want in a way where I don't want it anymore.

Not only that, but a limited edition physical object.

Basically good amiibo usage should be:
  • accessible to all Amiibo, or at least a broad series cross section.
  • not tie anything to just one Amiibo - especially with the alternative versions of some characters. All Links should just be seen as Link.
  • Provide something that's an alternative to what's already available, not something completely new e.g. costumes
  • Bonus - just be a quick key to unlocking something from the get go, but you can still unlock it another way e.g. Mario Maker's costumes

That's a good list, but I'd also add making any of these Amiibo bonuses available alternatively as DLC. It's unacceptable to me to have a limited amount of the DLC available for purchase for a particular game. That makes no sense.

I haven't bought many Amiibo to begin with but I'm definitely going to intentionally boycott them now until the DLC is available as a download alternatively. Which probably will never happen.

Yeah but scalpers will triple the price of the amiibo...
Scalpers suck. If that happens I guess I won't get it. Either I can buy it at MSRP or less not paying a scalper, I think. Still I like the fact it is a toy too.

Also lol @ the person comparing amiibo DLC to loot boxes, now that it some masterful mental gymnastics at work.

Anyway I live in Sweden. They don't really run out.

kunonabi

The real question is the difference between this and a prize from cereal box. Honestly, people that are calling this sort of thing locked or walled off content are just being purposefully obtuse.

Axass

I think we can have a balance.

Woolly World is a good example of Amiibo usage. The game itself already had skins to unlock, one per level in fact, but with Amiibo, you could unlock Nintendo themed costumes. They didn't really add anything to the game, were kept separate from the in-game costumes, and in fact lead to costumes you wouldn't normally see like a Pac-Man skin. They were a neat bonus for owning your favourite Amiibo (one shouldn't be forced to have a figurine of a character one doesn't really want) but you weren't missing anything if you didn't own any. Also, it means all Amiibo were treated equally (minor exception with the Pokémon ones)

On the flipside, Twilight Princess HD was rather bad. It only worked with Zelda ones for starters, so all your other Amiibo were useless. But the kicker was the Ganondorf functionality. Link giving you a full stock of arrows isn't really something I'm worried about missing out on, since I can just buy more arrows in game if I ran out (which I hardy ever do), but Ganondorf unlocked a bonus hard mode - double damage.

The thing is, in TPHD - hard mode was combined with mirrored mode. This means if you wanted to play the game with the original orientation - which as a Wii version owner was a selling point for me, I couldn't play it with added difficulty without buying one very specific Amiibo.

Of course, Mario Maker and Mario Kart handled amiibo well too as far as I'm concerned, still it's stuff that would've been in the base game a few years prior, but I wasn't bothered. Anyway, one would think that, seeing as they are getting more aggressive with the amiibo content, they'd be doing that because people were previously unhappy about the unlockable content and so the figurines weren't selling... only that's absolutely not the case because:

1 - People don't buy amiibo for the content in first place.
2 - They are pretty much constantly sold out so they don't really need to add better content to sell more.
3 - Doing that they only alienate those not wanting the amiibo.

Doesn't make sense to me. Nintendo doesn't make sense to me.

Honestly, voice chat app on smart-phone could very well be used as a new example for the Chewbacca defense.

RootCause

Wait! So there's two separate hard modes? And one of them is locked behind a $15 amiibo paywall?

Nintendo is taking amiibo in the wrong direction. Can't believe some are defending this mess.

Top Bottom