• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo, AILive Team For Wii Remote AI Tool

h0l211

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11223

'Nintendo and tools company AiLive have teamed up to produce LiveMove, a "groundbreaking Artificial Intelligence product" available to Nintendo Wii developers that enables the Wii remote to learn.

The companies explain: "Instead of complicated programming, developers need only take a few minutes to train the Wii Remote by examples. LiveMove lets developers focus directly on creative work without the burden of onerous coding requirements, helping them quickly unleash the potential of Wii."'

Handy for developers!

loosus

Banned
jarrod said:
It also allows auto-trolling via Opera. Should come in handy for GAF Wii threads.
Definitely. Now, you can tell us how every PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game would be better for Wii and how many more games the DS has than PSP over and over again -- without even being at your Wii!

emerge

From the Gamasutra article:

Genyo Takeda [...] commented [...]: "In early 2006, I challenged Dr. Wei Yen and his AI scientists to develop AIware for the Wii Remote.[...]

Is that the same Wei Yen as the SGI/MIPS/ArtX/ATi/MoSys Wei Yen?

MaddenNFL64

Good stuff Ninty. That wiimote is tricky shit.

Now someone needs to make a 'gesture maker' tool, so devs don't have to bust their asses to get a football throwing motion, or an attack motion to work with wide, or short moves.

EDIT: Hah, thats what AILive is :p. I thought this was for the pointer, which you know, is the hardest thing to get right.

loosus said:
Definitely. Now, you can tell us how every PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game would be better for Wii and how many more games the DS has than PSP over and over again -- without even being at your Wii!
And you can do ...........?

jarrod

Banned
loosus said:
Cute but too convoluted. Try a little harder next time.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Grifter said:
I knew kids like you in grade school.
Until they ditched you and now you have to go there alone! right? right? aw yeah though so!
I am weak for trolling

Edit:
Grifter
Banned
(Today, 03:25 PM)

\o/

Anyway this news rocks. Really awesome since the most negative stuff seems to be about developing for the Wiimote.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
liveMoveDiagram.jpg

Learn more

MaddenNFL64 said:
Good stuff Ninty. That wiimote is tricky shit.

Now someone needs to make a 'gesture maker' tool, so devs don't have to bust their asses to get a football throwing motion, or an attack motion to work with wide, or short moves.

That's what this is, I think. In fact, the image below describes it best. It's a middleware to simplify the process. Devs just swing or move around the Wiimote the way it should be moved, and the AI learns about what it should look like. They probably fine-tune some things from there, do testing to make sure it works and doesn't conflict with other gestures... it just simplifies things so they don't have to manually program for all the various input styles and motions they want.

To be honest, though, sounds like this benefits shovelware ports more than anything. Particularly when we're talking "gestures."

jarrod said:
Nevermind loosus, he still thinks customized 64bit PPCs and mobile Celerons are basically equal. ;)
:lol :lol :lol
That was a Joey (from Friends) laugh as i aint a clue either *goes off to buy an encyclopedia*

MrSardonic said:
wow that sounds cool. not exactly sure what it means for me, but cool nonetheless.
Rocked said:
Brilliant idea. Should make it much easier for devs to implement full movement.
Therefore letting them come up with all kinds of crazy stuff by gesturing it rather than programming it!

psy18

What is LiveMove?

* - Create motion recognizers with LiveMove in minutes simply by showing examples of motions; no coding or scripting is required.
* - At run time, a motion recognizer can robustly determine which motion a player is performing from the set of developer-provided examples.
o LiveMove is fast and efficient!
+ - Recognize up to 40 different motions on 8 Wii remotes or nunchuks simultaneously using less than 5% of the Wii CPU.
+ - Total memory usage is typically below 700K.
o What's in the box?
+ - A high-performance runtime library you can integrate into your game in just a few hours.
+ - A Windows XPTM application for building motion recognizers from motion examples.
+ - Sample applications, example code, full documentation, and more.

For more details about how LiveMove works please read our white paper.

Why do I want LiveMove?

* Enhance your gameplay!
o - Perfect your game controls by using LiveMove to recognize any motion including complicated curves and nuances.
o - Iterate on your motion designs quickly! Create a motion recognizer from scratch in just a few minutes so you can experiment with all of your ideas.
o - Record signature motions from celebrities.
o - Adjust how easy or difficult moves are to perform for the player with simple controls.

* Cut development costs and improve quality!
o - Eliminate a lengthy and difficult production step required to use the Wii.
o - Remove uncertainty in the quality of your game-play by prototyping early and often.
o - Recognize anyone's motions. Recognizers are robust and accurate across all players.

They use Windows XPTM!

E-phonk

Banned
Cauliflower of Love said:
So wait, these tools are just now being developed?
It's 3rd party middleware. They needed to get a hold of a final remote design before they could work on it - and developing something like this takes some time (at least 6 - 9 months to get a good SDK).

So - it's a bit surprising that it's out allready.

MaddenNFL64

I guess that bodes well for a future middleware tool for pointer tweaking then. I mean Ubi spent millions just trying to get that righ for RS, and we still don't know if they did. Something like that is really needed for Wii development.

birdchili

Kulock said:
To be honest, though, sounds like this benefits shovelware ports more than anything. Particularly when we're talking "gestures."

this was my first thought too, though being able to quickly prototype new game ideas is going to benefit everyone.

if it works decently well, you could use this middleware to get to a playable state, and tweak things with a more "hands-on" approach from there.

given that remote function is the biggest barrier to Wii development, this can't be anything other than good news. games with bad control are going to tank on Wii even faster than games on other platforms (which can rely on other glitz to cover up their shortcomings on this front).

in an environment where control is your big differentiator, everything you do to make control programming simpler works in your favor.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jarrod said:
Nevermind loosus, he still thinks customized 64bit PPCs and mobile Celerons are basically equal. ;)

Not that it isn't a plus, but you keep throwing "64bit" processor around like you're Apple.

jarrod

Banned
E-phonk said:
It's 3rd party middleware. They needed to get a hold of a final remote design before they could work on it - and developing something like this takes some time (at least 6 - 9 months to get a good SDK).

So - it's a bit surprising that it's out allready.
To be fair though, isn't Wii's SDK basically the same as GC's OpenGL environment? It's not really like 360 or PS3, where they had to reinvent the wheel or anything....

birdchili

GDJustin said:
I'm not a troll, but I'm sure it isn't.

it's *never* as elegant/effective as it's claimed to be:) that doesn't make it at all useless.

i'm triply-skeptical whenever "AI" is mentioned.

of course, if it isn't truely effective, it won't get used in the long-term.

E-phonk

Banned
jarrod said:
To be fair though, isn't Wii's SDK basically the same as GC's OpenGL environment? It's not really like 360 or PS3, where they had to reinvent the wheel or anything....
I was talking about this "motion wizard" - which is probably a seperate SDK with a API alike interface.

Saoh

if its as accurate as they say, well this is just great news. :)

too bad the launch games didnt get a hold of this sooner.

MaddenNFL64

'a motion sensing controller such as the Wii controller'?

I know theres the sixaxis but I can't see myself making 2's & 'lassoing' with it. It'd feel too 'N-Gage Taco Phone' for me.

If anyone wants it, here's the PR:

NINTENDO AND AILIVE ANNOUNCE NEW TOOL FOR CREATIVE AND EASY WII DEVELOPMENT

'LiveMove' Tool Now Available to Wii Developers

REDMOND, Wash., Oct. 12, 2006 – Nintendo and AiLive Inc. announce the immediate availability of LiveMove, a groundbreaking Artificial Intelligence product, that enables the Wii Remote™ to learn.

Instead of complicated programming, developers need only take a few minutes to train the Wii Remote by examples. LiveMove lets developers focus directly on creative work without the burden of onerous coding requirements, helping them quickly unleash the potential of Wii™. The only limitation is the game creator's imagination.

"The Wii coupled with AiLive LiveMove will usher in a new era of natural game control," commented AiLive Chairman Dr. Wei Yen." Powered by AiLive's patented Context Learning, LiveMove will allow the game industry to move away from indirect digital control to more natural analog control for the first time."

"In early 2006, I challenged Dr. Wei Yen and his AI scientists to develop AIware for the Wii Remote. When Nintendo's development teams saw LiveMove, we instantly recognized how it would greatly increase our ability to explore and experiment with new concepts and make our lives easier," says Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director/General Manager of Integrated Research & Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd. "This revolutionary tool liberates the imaginations of game creators. We are more than happy to share this collaborative LiveMove tool with independent Wii software developers all over the world. From a cowboy's lasso to a samurai's sword or a chef's cooking utensils, we just can't wait to play the developers' new, 'unexpected' applications."

LiveMove is currently available exclusively to Wii developers and priced at a mass-adoption license fee of $2,500 per seat. Tutorials and demos will be offered by AiLive. For detailed information about LiveMove, visit AiLive's website at www.AiLive.net.

About AiLive:
A leader in Artificial Intelligence for entertainment, AiLive's vision of video games is natural engagement and personalization through player participation. AiLive Inc. was founded in 2000, Palo Alto, California, by a unique, world-class team of scientists across various disciplines of Artificial Intelligence.

About Nintendo:
The worldwide innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Nintendo DS™, Game Boy® Advance and Nintendo GameCube™ systems, and upcoming Wii™ console. Since 1983, Nintendo has sold nearly 2.2 billion video games and more than 375 million hardware units globally, and has created industry icons like Mario™, Donkey Kong®, Metroid®, Zelda™ and Pokémon®. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at www.nintendo.com.

loosus

Banned
jarrod said:
Yeah, because that's totally what I said. Way to take something out of context.

You're an idiot, jarrod.

jarrod

Banned
loosus said:
Yeah, because that's totally what I said. Way to take something out of context.

You're an idiot, jarrod.
C-

Let's try to upgrade the discussion people. Oh wait, we're in a Wii GAF thread. :/

Top Bottom