• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo, AILive Team For Wii Remote AI Tool

guise

First Clover is dissolved, now Nintendo seem to be giving 3rd partys comprehensive support.....

Is this bizzaro GAF or something

KINGMOKU

Thatsthe kind of stuff that could be a brilliant party game. Can you imagine a ronof baloons coming down, and 4 people all fighting for them? Add beer, and your set.

Olivier

That video was awesome.

Now I wonder if they could integrate this tech in games. Binding custom Wiimote movements to in-game actions would be interesting.

Parl

Amazing. The importance of this middleware is probably quite significant in the next gen race. This makes developing Wii games both easier, better and gives the developers a greater ability in making them good and make good use of the Wii-mote. Brilliant stuff.

KINGMOKU

This tool opens up a massive amount of possibilities. Imagine this tool within a game, and it allows players to customize thier own motions, based on thier skill level, and allows for learning.

Imagine you have a game, oh, like a spell-casting game, and as you prgress, you learn new spells, and open them up this way. Or, as you learn new spells, you can asign them a certain movment arc.

You could also be playing a racing game, and when the A button is depressed, you make the shifting motion for a manual transmission.

1-2-3-4-5 This demo is really, really impressive the more I think about it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It seems to work so perfectly I can't help thinking the Wiimote is the most innovative device I've ever seen.

KINGMOKU

marc^o^ said:
It seems to work so perfectly I can't help thinking the Wiimote is the most innovative device I've ever seen.
Now wouldnt you love to actually use the damn thing now? Where are the kiosk's Nintendo? FFS already.

Nicktals

Banned
This should be put in games. Create a Skater, meet Create a Motion.

Also, I'd love if Nintendo would open up development to the public, like Microsoft. With the hardest part of console taken care of, there could be some great homebrew stuff (there probably will be some great homebrew stuff anyways, without help from nintendo.)

Baryn

Banned
civilstrife said:
That video was insanely impressive. This may be the key to something like 1:1 movement in games.
I believe this is for just the opposite: easier-to-create canned motions.

1:1 would be a direct translation of the Wii's movements into the game, no specialized recognization programming needed. This is actually easier to program, and to my knowledge, only Red Steel uses (used?) canned motions where 1:1 would have been superior.

So this may not be the holy grail of Wii controller development, especially because 1:1 would be much better control for a cooking game!

Dez

I hate gesture recognition. With this method, the animation for the gesture can only start once the gesture is completed. i want 1:1 motion, damnit!

spengo

:-O at Balloon Pop

I can't wait to see some of the creative stuff that is going to be done with the Wiimote.

Baryn said:
I believe this is for just the opposite: easier-to-create canned motions.

1:1 would be a direct translation of the Wii's movements into the game, no specialized recognization programming needed. This is actually easier to program, and to my knowledge, only Red Steel uses (used?) canned motions where 1:1 would have been superior.

So this may not be the holy grail of Wii controller development, especially because 1:1 would be much better control for a cooking game!

Utterly ridiculous. The Wiimote outputs data based on it's various sensors, which detect tilt, acceleration, pointing and distance from the sensor bar. That's it, that's all. It is not a point in 3D space. It is not motion capture. To add insult to injury, the moment that it's pointed away from the screen, it loses an entire dimension of sensitivity.

The point is, anything resembling 1:1 movement is going to require guesswork on the part of the programmers and a heavily constrained range of motion. Wiisports baseball for example gives the illusion because really, all it's calculating is the tilt of the controller as you prepare your swing, and eventually, the acceleration of the swing itself. You can forget about 1:1 swordplay or anything that would require a full range of motion.

I say that this software might make things easier because the closest we are going to get to 1:1 motions is going to be a combination of TONS of these "canned gestures" and some heavy context sensitivity.

Wow, that video was impressive. Should really make things a lot easier for many devs.

civilstrife: which Rayman video is your avatar from?

Baryn

Banned
civilstrife said:
Utterly ridiculous. The Wiimote outputs data based on it's various sensors, which detect tilt, acceleration, pointing and distance from the sensor bar. That's it, that's all. It is not a point in 3D space. It is not motion capture. To add insult to injury, the moment that it's pointed away from the screen, it loses an entire dimension of sensitivity.

The point is, anything resembling 1:1 movement is going to require guesswork on the part of the programmers and a heavily constrained range of motion. Wiisports baseball for example gives the illusion because really, all it's calculating is the tilt of the controller as you prepare your swing, and eventually, the acceleration of the swing itself. You can forget about 1:1 swordplay or anything that would require a full range of motion.

I say that this software might make things easier because the closest we are going to get to 1:1 motions is going to be a combination of TONS of these "canned gestures" and some heavy context sensitivity.
The tilt sensor and accelerometer should be enough for 1:1 sword-play. Can you think of a situation where they wouldn't be?

Zeed

Banned
Oh shit just watched the vid. That's awesome.

I want Balloon Pop! Make it a Virtual Console game, go go go!

Baryn said:
The tilt sensor and accelerometer should be enough for 1:1 sword-play. Can you think of a situation where they wouldn't be?

Anything other than clear, directional slashes, really. The moment you bend your arm at the elbow, you are moving the remote to a different position in space, and the sword on screen won't follow. Especially if it's a slower, smoother movement with no quick directional jerk.

miyuru

:lol!!!!! Somebody PS the two dudes in the video. They remind me of the guys from A Night at the Roxbury :lol

P.S. Looks really fun, I wanna play Balloon Pop VS. :(

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
civilstrife said:
Anything other than clear, directional slashes, really. The moment you bend your arm at the elbow, you are moving the remote to a different position in space, and the sword on screen won't follow. Especially if it's a slower, smoother movement with no quick directional jerk.

This is where things like anatomy come in!

If you move your arm inwards obviously your shoulder isnt going to detach, so the animation on screen (unless the designer is retarded) will bend.

there was no lag time in balloon pop? :D

well I guess it does not fire the missle until you have finished the motion
damn that game would tire me out :D which to me is a good thing

sp0rsk said:
This is where things like anatomy come in!

If you move your arm inwards obviously your shoulder isnt going to detach, so the animation on screen (unless the designer is retarded) will bend.

I don't think we're on the same page.
The point is, the wii remote won't be able to detect that movement at all.

Baryn

Banned
civilstrife said:
Of course it would, why wouldn't it? If I bring the controller into, for example, a sheathing position, the game knows:

1) The controller is upside down.
2) What direction I pulled it in.
3) How fast it went from my chest to my hip.

It can then interpret that data literally on-screen. If calibration is implemented, it can even check the distance between one's chest line and hip, in addition to arm length, assimilating the visual response across body types.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
civilstrife said:

It can detect it moving back and forward. If youre holding a sword in your hand straight out and you move it in, what do you think the character on screen is going to do?

empanada

civilstrife said:
The accelerometer should be able to detect it. Nobody moves their arms around naturally without acceleration. You'd really have to try to move it at a constant speed to fool the accelerometer... :lol

BTW, Awesome video/dev tool!

Baryn said:
Of course it would, why wouldn't it? If I bring the controller into, for example, a sheathing position, the game knows:

1) The controller is upside down.
2) What direction I pulled it in.
3) How fast it went from my chest to my hip.

It can then interpret that data literally on-screen. If calibration is implemented, it can even check the distance between one's chest line and torso, assimilating the visual response across body types.

Ah, but that's not 1:1 movement. Those are gestures, as seen in the video above.
The sheathing movement can be understood as a gesture and probably even changed in the animation based on the speed of the motion, but again that's not 1:1.

What if I do the motion very slowly? Will the sword on the screen follow my hand every step of the way? If it has no data for a mere moment. If I move it too slowly for it to detect (any movement other than tilting, that is) how will it know where my hand is? It's not like "ping pong ball suit" motion capture, where the position of the ball can be tracked from multiple angles on a second by second basis. An accelerometer tracks a jerk, a swipe, a thrust, a direction, a speed. Not a position in 3D space.

Terrell

emerge said:
From the Gamasutra article:

Is that the same Wei Yen as the SGI/MIPS/ArtX/ATi/MoSys Wei Yen?
I think it's Dr. Wei Yen, the man who founded iQue, Nintendo's Chinese subsidiary... so if that's the same man, then yes.

Terrell said:
I think it's Dr. Wei Yen, the man who founded iQue, Nintendo's Chinese subsidiary... so if that's the same man, then yes.

wow, just wow

this is just the first generation of LiveMode, imagine what you can do with the second and third generation, I can do the Moonwalk.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
civilstrife said:
Ah, but that's not 1:1 movement. Those are gestures, as seen in the video above.
The sheathing movement can be understood as a gesture and probably even changed in the animation based on the speed of the motion, but again that's not 1:1.

What if I do the motion very slowly? Will the sword on the screen follow my hand every step of the way? If it has no data for a mere moment. If I move it too slowly for it to detect (any movement other than tilting, that is) how will it know where my hand is? It's not like "ping pong ball suit" motion capture, where the position of the ball can be tracked from multiple angles on a second by second basis. An accelerometer tracks a jerk, a swipe, a thrust, a direction, a speed. Not a position in 3D space.

why would you move a sword slowly?

Top Bottom