• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo, AILive Team For Wii Remote AI Tool

quadriplegicjon said:
why would you move a sword slowly?

Exactly. That has to be the worst idea ever. ;p

Wow that was an awesome video though. This kind of stuff is why I can't wait for the wii to launch.

Baryn

Banned
civilstrife said:
Ah, but that's not 1:1 movement. Those are gestures, as seen in the video above.
You are only confused because I used sheathing as an example. What I described was a situation where the "sword" would mimic your movement if you were to move the controller that way. You can replace sheathing movement with literally any other kind of movement that does not have a name.

What if I do the motion very slowly? Will the sword on the screen follow my hand every step of the way? If it has no data for a mere moment. If I move it too slowly for it to detect (any movement other than tilting, that is) how will it know where my hand is?
So the controller can't track imperceptible movements in a sword-fighting game? Do you really think that is a valid concern? :lol

It really depends how slowly you can move the controller before the accelerometer gives out. I am willing to bet they can pick up movements so slow it makes your worries null and void.

psy18

civilstrife said:
Ah, but that's not 1:1 movement. Those are gestures, as seen in the video above.
The sheathing movement can be understood as a gesture and probably even changed in the animation based on the speed of the motion, but again that's not 1:1.

What if I do the motion very slowly? Will the sword on the screen follow my hand every step of the way? If it has no data for a mere moment. If I move it too slowly for it to detect (any movement other than tilting, that is) how will it know where my hand is? It's not like "ping pong ball suit" motion capture, where the position of the ball can be tracked from multiple angles on a second by second basis. An accelerometer tracks a jerk, a swipe, a thrust, a direction, a speed. Not a position in 3D space.

Of course. To capture every movement on your body, you must wear the sensor all over the parts you want to capture.
In your case (sword play), the sensor must be worn up to your shoulder (or body if you want).
But I think full motion will also cause more fatigue on the player compared to gestures.

Oh goodness, so much misconception in this thread.
If you really believe that full 1:1 movement (More than just tilt) is possible, you're in for a pretty big disappointment with this system.

So the controller can't track imperceptible movements in a sword-fighting game? Do you really think that is a valid concern?

imperceptible? If the remote has no way of detecting a movement with any accuracy, it's not 1:1. These "imperceptible" movements would throw it completely off. And no, "filling in the blanks" wouldn't work.

It really depends how slowly you can move the controller before the accelerometer gives out. I am willing to bet they can pick up movements so slow it makes your worries null and void.

That's a bet I can make without any sweat. I'll raise you a ban.

why would 1:1 be the best solution...

so I'm playing and move my wiimote then suddenly I sneeze would I want the game to record that movement as intended? Canned gestures seems the best deal to me, like the Pro-Pitching in the video... If I throw a ball I don't want the Wiimote to record it as a fastball when I intended to throw it slowly and softly, my throw and force behind it should have impact on the distance the ball would travel right? Can't this tool help devs do this?

quadriplegicjon said:
why would you move a sword slowly?
For the Dune games, duh!
A defensive shield created by a Holtzman generator provides the wearer, ground car, thopter or spacecraft with an almost perfect defense against projectile weapons traveling faster than the strike speed of 6 to 9 cm/sec (0.13 to 0.20 mph). The only way to penetrate a shield is with a slow moving sword thrust or an equally slow moving projectile. The energy of a blow which impacts at a speed greater than the strike speed is dissipated as radiation without transferring the inertia of the impact to the user of the shield.
http://dune2k.com/?page=community-articles&show=warfare

Behold - the power of Wii!

livemove.gif

Hate to bump a slowly dying thread, but that video did impress me. One of the things you may have noticed is that the system didn't require the full motion to recognize it in the second demo; you you didn't have to wait for the full follow-through before the game knew what it was supposed to do. That speaks volumes about how well this'll work in an actual game environment, I think.

Glass Joe

soo, for those of you who have sampled the games...

as an example, in Wii tennis, do i have to complete the motion before my character STARTS his? if so, that'll be disappointing. that would mean that you'd basically have to time everything in advance, resulting in a learning curve and less realism.

Glass Joe said:
soo, for those of you who have sampled the games...

as an example, in Wii tennis, do i have to complete the motion before my character STARTS his? if so, that'll be disappointing. that would mean that you'd basically have to time everything in advance, resulting in a learning curve and less realism.

No, absolutely not. In Wii Baseball, you can wiggle the waggle (HURR DURR I MADE A FUNNY!) around and you'll see the dude on screen do the exact same thing, as you're doing it.

However, in the throwing part you throw, and THEN the Mii on screen throws, which sucks.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
"Kurt and I are differant body types.."

:lol

Top Bottom