• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Aims to Have First (Second) Movie Out in Next 2-3 Years

Which Nintendo franchise should be made into a film first?

Results are only viewable after voting.

random25

Disaster: Day of Crisis is seriously an intriguing concept for a movie.

But on a more realistic possibility, Splatoon should be the priority. It's currently the hottest Nintendo franchise right now it would a missed opportunity not to strike while the iron is still hot.

casiopao

If we had a cross between Xenoblade X and Mario we could have Manon talking to Toads...which by definition would be the most grating conversation to hear in the world

..... Add some animal Crossing character, it would be super terror lol. Ears bleeding is not going to be shocking lol.

RedSwirl

I could see Nintendo's tier-2 or tier-3 franchises like Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid, and Kirby getting the same treatment Animal Crossing got -- 2D anime movies mainly for the Japanese market and the western viewers typically interested in anime. F-Zero and Kirby each already got a TV anime. I don't see those franchises getting theatrical movies though. Metroid thematically has potential in that space, but not market-wise. Another problem with Metroid is it kind of already has a film equivalent -- Alien.

Nintendo could go in multiple directions with Mario though. It would probably be easy for them to do something similar to Angry Birds or whatever. It'd be neat to get something with the Mario RPG writers involved though.

I'd personally like for Zelda to be handled by Studio Ghibli, or go for a feel very much like it. I pretty much can't imagine any other path ending well. The franchise needs to be treated like a straight-up fairy tale.

In any case, these need to be pretty much massive commercials for Nintendo's games.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This is potentially very exciting and very scary. I would love to see a Metroid movie done right. Most of the movie just Samus exploring some fucked up planet. Use audio or video logs to tell the story of the planet if you need to.

ozfunghi

Well, do they mean animation film? In which case anything goes, pixar style. Pikmin, Paper Mario (due to more funny dialogues), regular Mario...

If they mean an actual movie with actors... in that case they have to do it right!

Zelda (LotR style)
Metroid (Alien style)
StarFox (Guardians of the Galaxy style)

Animal Crossing! In err... Animal Crossing style!

Saven

Banned
A Nintendo Cinematic Universe you all say?

Ll5fEau.png

btWf2jY.png

keero16

Neo Member
Some of their IPs would work great as movies. I can see Star Fox, Zelda, Kid Icarus and Splatoon be great movies if they take the time to make them right.

Some of them I don't really see working though. Like I can not imagine how a full length Mario (CG) movie would be or if it would work at all. Same with Kirby. I think those would work well as little 5 minute shorts before the feature film that most animated movies seem to have now.

Ever since I saw those first promotional 3D renders for Mario 3D World I wanted a 3D-animated Mario cartoon in that same style. It'd be amazing.

I hope they push this movie endeavor in a big way. It'd help them increase the visibility of their IPs to generations that are now growing up without them thanks to the spread of smart devices.

ozfunghi

Some of their IPs would work great as movies. I can see Star Fox, Zelda, Kid Icarus and Splatoon be great movies if they take the time to make them right.

Some of them I don't really see working though. Like I can not imagine how a full length Mario (CG) movie would be or if it would work at all. Same with Kirby. I think those would work well as little 5 minute shorts before the feature film that most animated movies seem to have now.

I see what you're saying about Kirby and such, but if Pixar can make a feature film about a fish... it shows you just need a good script (and a good director).

Megatron

Nice to see they aren't discouraged by the Ratchet and Clank bomb and Angry Birds (it's too early to call this one a bomb, but let's face it, it's going to bomb.) Like Marvel not being discouraged at Elektra and Catwoman, it is possible for good and successful movies to come from Nintendo's IP's, despite some early missteps by other studios.

random25

Nice to see they aren't discouraged by the Ratchet and Clank bomb and Angry Birds (it's too early to call this one a bomb, but let's face it, it's going to bomb.) Like Marvel not being discouraged at Elektra and Catwoman, it is possible for good and successful movies to come from Nintendo's IP's, despite some early missteps by other studios.

Angry Birds movie is doing well based from the reports.

Penguin

Fuck, just license your shit Nintendo, if that shits flops you are safe, #squaresoft #neverforget

I don't think they meant do it themselves, I think they meant more... being involved in the process.

Seems like they weren't really involved with the SMB Movie. Just okayed the option.

There's an angry birds movie that's doing very well and was received very well too. A game's concept might make it harder to make a good movie, but that doesn't make it impossible.

Brofield

"In an interview for a video game magazine, he stated that Nintendo contacted him once and told him because of his love of video games, if there ever is a live action Pokémon movie made, he would be their first, last and only choice to play Professor Oak."

The world is a lesser place with a hole the size of Robin Williams.

javadoze

We all know it's Clu Clu Land, let's not even kid ourselves.

Get the fucking Smash 4 CG team to do a Smash movie. Those reveal trailers were hype as shit. With some good writing behind them, that'd be insanely popular.

This too. I love how much personality that was crammed into these short reveal trailers.

Nanashrew

Banned
"In an interview for a video game magazine, he stated that Nintendo contacted him once and told him because of his love of video games, if there ever is a live action Pokémon movie made, he would be their first, last and only choice to play Professor Oak."

The world is a lesser place with a hole the size of Robin Williams.

This just makes me really sad ;_;

Nanashrew

Banned
Shouldn't feel good about this. Unless they are going to hire talent that knows how to do proper storytelling and making movies this is a very bad idea. Spirits within bad.

They can still get outside help from partners, it's just that Nintendo has more control than licensing out. They're partnering with production studios internationally so it's not just them or just in Japan.

Though I guess they could also have Yoshiaki Koizumi try a Nintendo film because before joining Nintendo he had his sights on a career in film and studied it, and animation, drama and storyboarding.

Shouldn't feel good about this. Unless they are going to hire talent that knows how to do proper storytelling and making movies this is a very bad idea. Spirits within bad.

As much as I love to shit on Spirits Within on every opportunity, which I do, Advent Children exists and for what it was that was pretty good.

And I'm pretty sure there are lessons to be learned from both films going into this.

While the original source said Nintendo wanted to make these in house, the new source seems to indicate that they want to be hands on while partnering with outside studios?
Not sure

Soroc

They can still get outside help from partners, it's just that Nintendo has more control than licensing out. They're partnering with production studios internationally so it's not just them or just in Japan.

Though I guess they could also have Yoshiaki Koizumi try a Nintendo film because before joining Nintendo he had his sights on a career in film and studied it, and animation, drama and storyboarding.

I read it as they wanted to make them inhouse. Yeah I have no issues with wanting tight control of their properties but you got to hand these things off to the people that know how to make them.

As much as I love to shit on Spirits Within on every opportunity, which I do, Advent Children exists and for what it was that was pretty good.

And I'm pretty sure there are lessons to be learned from both films going into this.

Unfortunately I don't agree with you, I don't even think Advent Children is all that good except to look at.

While the original source said Nintendo wanted to make these in house, the new source seems to indicate that they want to be hands on while partnering with outside studios?
Not sure

Hope the new source is the more accurate in this scenario because if played right Nintendo has the properties to pull a MCU but they need the right people to handle it from both within and outside.

I read it as they wanted to make them inhouse. Yeah I have no issues with wanting tight control of their properties but you got to hand these things off to the people that know how to make them.

For the most part a lot of their animated shorts were made with partnerships in other companies. It's possible that when they talk in-house, they probably mean produced within a company division and worked on with outside companies.

Soroc

For the most part a lot of their animated shorts were made with partnerships in other companies. It's possible that when they talk in-house, they probably mean produced within a company division and worked on with outside companies.

I hope so! Problem with a lot of those shorts are well.... they are too short!

There is a lot of talk about working with partners but wanting to do a lot internally. I wonder if it's just what they've been doing with the animated shorts so far.
Those are externally made but with a lot of work done by Nintendo overlooking the project.

magnumpy

Kimishima also says that Nintendo would like to have it's first movie ready within the next 2-3 years.

it's first movie? so they don't count the old theatrical release of Mario with John Leguizamo ans Dennis Hopper?

JABEE

Handling it themselves? Thank God. After the Sony email leaks awhile ago I was worried they were going to let western film studios fuck up their IPs again. I'm actually excited now.

Can Nintendo make a film with a good story that appeals to worldwide audiences? There is a difference between stories that exist to get to platforming versus the other way around. I'm sure if Nintendo is putting a large investment behind this, they won't be stupid enough to try to do it all by themselves. Partners are mentioned. It will be interesting to see.

Disney has stopped publishing games, Nintendo wants to make movies. Coincidence? Probably but imagine how insane it would be if Disney bought Nintendo.

Disney has stopped publishing games, Nintendo wants to make movies. Coincidence? Probably but imagine how insane it would be if Disney bought Nintendo.
Yeah, that was one of my ideas.
Nintendo having Disney as a partner with them making movies and Disney giving them the license to make certain Disney games.

Nanashrew

Banned
I feel this old article from Emily is relevant in a lot of ways.

https://dromble.wordpress.com/2013/09/26/shigeru-miyamotos-appreciation-for-film/

People do have the misconception that Miyamoto not into story though he is. He has a deep appreciation for film. He is just a bit stuck in his ways on how game development is approached, but we've also seen his recent shorts (Pikmin, helped in Star Fox Zero) and it shows he does understand film, TV, and how to approach it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Why is Mario teaming up with Waluigi
Who's the douchebag with Peach
Why aren't the Toads wearing pants

The 80s were weird

That's not even the half of it! There was an OVA too that was about folktales. First episode has Princess Peach being taken from her adoptive parents (who were old koopas). Then Bowser came along and took her. The grandparents were in mourning then suddenly a large peach fell from the sky and thus Mario was born! (also this episode is the one that features Mario with a gun that many like to post and joke around with.)

Top Bottom