• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Aims to Have First (Second) Movie Out in Next 2-3 Years

Which Nintendo franchise should be made into a film first?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nanashrew

Banned
If they make a Kirby movie, I hope they stay true to the games and make the last 10 minute of the movie to some nightmare inducing monster that will make children cry

Shouldn't be too much of an issue. They already make these demigod/lovecraftian like things already. Make Zero come back with its bleeding red eye and give it an ominous deep voice and how it wants to bring hate and destruction to the galaxy. Zero is pretty much the devil anyway. 02 resembles a fallen angel too.

Platy

Nintendo Cinematic Universe movies that finally lead to the SMASH BROTHERS movie we have been wanting for the last forever years.

Reminds me of my old post about this xD

WAY too many movies for phase 1.

In my idea F-Zero+Metroid+Star Fox are the same movie ... the Guardians of the Galaxy type of movie that is set in space, featuring just Fox, Captain Falcon and Samus as the main chars.

Kirby don't need a movie right away because he is the most simple of all.

Yoshi is introduced in the Mario Movie. He can be the "Boba Fett" of that movie.

Ness gets introduced in the Smash Brothers movie too because Earthbound movie is too bizarre so for them to see they need to know the character and want to know more about him.

So we go like :

Phase 1 -
Zelda
Pokemon
Mario : The Donkey Kong (introduces Diddy too)
Space Bounty Hunters
Super Smash Bros.

Phase 2 -
Zelda 2 : The Ocarina of Time (introduces Sheik/Zelda and ganondorf)
Fire Emblem
Space Bounty Hunter 2 : The Star Fox (introduces Falco and wolf)
Mario 2 : Dr Dinossaur Land (introduces bowser, peach, wario and Dr Mario)
Smash Bros Meele (ice climbers and game & watch)

Phase 3-
Kirby The Movie
Earthbound
Pokemon 2 : Gold
Pikmin
Sonic The Movie
Smash Bros Brawl (introduces Pit as a cameo, makes a reference to metal gear solid because no way konami gives permission for snake)

Phase 4-
Fire Emblem 2 : Sword Fighters in blue (cameo by shulk and Corryn)
Wii Movie (introduces Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and Miis)
Kid Icarus
Mario 3 - Bowser Jrs (Galaxy based story with the koopalings)
NES Days (movie with Ice Climbers, Little Mac, RoB and Duck Hunt trio)
Pokemon 3 : NinjaX
Smash Bros 4

...that is, if you want to be 100% faithful to the smash bros games.

In reality you would have to make a Splatoon movie in the second phase, the weird movie would be a sucess and you would have just 2 mario movies and 4 Kirby movies =P

javac

Buddy cop puppeteered Star Fox travelling through space film please. Release it alongside Star Wars to confuse people.

If they do a Zelda movie, make Link a girl or his daughter or something. I think even in a movie they'll still don't want to make him
Talk cause then they'll have to in a game.

keep the story like the beginning of Wind Waker. Then use male link when ready.

Just Make Star Fox, that one screams current potential. Star Fox 64 can be copied into movie with a few adjustments.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
WJjWGQg.jpg

https://youtu.be/mSbCOxaZIVE?t=67

-shadow-

Fucking FINALLY

hqdefault.jpg

RIP Dennis Hopper and Bob Hoskins :(
Honestly, if they had stkll been alive this would actually be what I'd want the first movie to be. Having a cliffhanger was ridiculous, but man after all these years I do actually want an awnser!

They do, actually. Co-ownership.
No they don't. They own publishing rights on the games after the third one (so 4, 2 Wiimake and Maiden) and fully own Spirit Camera. KT still fully owns the serie and everything related to it outside of that.

barit

Animated or with real actors? If the latter then I don't know if the world is ready for another Super Mario Bros. ;)

But an animated Pixar-like Zelda would be pretty neat imo

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think Rovio's approach with Angry Birds film makes much more sense

Try to make it yourself => Shit, too hard => Acquire small animation studio => Shit, too slow => Strike deal with top tier studio and leave film making to the pros => Awesome film => Profit

R.D.Blax

Shouldn't be too much of an issue. They already make these demigod/lovecraftian like things already. Make Zero come back with its bleeding red eye and give it an ominous deep voice and how it wants to bring hate and destruction to the galaxy. Zero is pretty much the devil anyway. 02 resembles a fallen angel too.

They should adapt the Dark Matter trilogies as a trilogies of movie too. That would be perfect

I'll take 2D animation.

3D has every human character looking the same, even animals. I honestly thought Frozen/How to train your dragon was Pixar at first.

Of that poll, Disaster is the most likely film to be able to form a cohesive storyline. Though if it was a bad movie it'd make for terrible PR like "Disaster is a Disaster"

The movies I think would be most beneficial:

1. Something Mario, like CG. Seriously, Nintendo should go to Disney or Pixar and have them do an adaptation.

2. Chibi-Robo! It's got great potential for adaptation, and it has some interesting themes that doesn't make it just for kids.

3. Hotel Dusk! Adapt that shit, make it beautiful hand-drawn animation.

4. Animal Crossing - I don't know if it should be an anime or if they should do it in America (hand-drawn either way), but it'd be great.

Trike

I can see something like Kirby, Yoshi, Star Fox, Pikmin, and Zelda being made into a movie off the top of my head. I don't see them doing Mario again, at least not as their first movie. Earthbound could be made into a movie that would probably do well with the right writers, but I don't think they'd consider that one for various reasons. Metroid is too mature to be made into an animated movie that they expect to do well.

I am 100% expecting it to be something dumb like a Miitomo movie where you can put you can have a customized Miitomo trailer starring your Mii.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'll take 2D animation.

3D has every human character looking the same, even animals. I honestly thought Frozen/How to train your dragon was Pixar at first.

I do dislike how 3D movies do often tend to look the same in that regard, I agree. I don't know if Nintendo would go for that route though seeing as we know these characters and what they look like. Even Mario is still recognized by many. The CGI of the Smash 4 intro and character introduction clips look great and the characters look like they're supposed too.

I personally thought the CGI for the Star Fox Zero short was really good and cool.

Effect

Not sure how to feel about this.

If they have a desire to stick to animation and 3D then they they can do a lot themselves while working with a production studio. We can look at the Pikmin shorts, the Star Fox short, along with the Kid Icarus shorts, and all the Smash Bros shorts/trailers as examples of what they can do.

I'm fine if they don't want to do live action. I'll take a great animated film over a live action film where a lot of things can go wrong.

Wagram

Nintendo handling them entirely in house (or as much as they can) is more scary than anything. Nintendo sucks at storytelling.

I can see something like Kirby, Yoshi, Star Fox, Pikmin, and Zelda being made into a movie off the top of my head. I don't see them doing Mario again, at least not as their first movie. Earthbound could be made into a movie that would probably do well with the right writers, but I don't think they'd consider that one for various reasons. Metroid is too mature to be made into an animated movie that they expect to do well.

I am 100% expecting it to be something dumb like a Miitomo movie where you can put you can have a customized Miitomo trailer starring your Mii.

Pikmin would be a pretty awesome movie, especially if they did a unique art style for it (something akin to the claymation artwork).

As for Metroid, I could see them doing it, but it wouldn't be an all-animation film. Get a great cast, a great writer, a great director, baby, you got a stew goin'

Nintendo handling them entirely in house (or as much as they can) is more scary than anything. Nintendo sucks at storytelling.

Miyamoto: "Does this movie really need a story?"

javac

Punch-Out!, an animated film about a little guy with a big heart who will stop at nothing to become the champ.

Nanashrew

Banned
The animation in the star fox short felt weird to me, like it was skipping a ton of frames

That's mostly a thing in Japan =/

They want the CG to look like it's imitating 2D, and it doesn't look that great. 2D anime looks better than their 3D anime most of the time. I was even bothered by that in the recent Guilty Gear too. Cel-shading was excellent but the animation of the videos do not need low frame rates.

alvis.exe

I kind of never want another Mario movie haha. I guess Fire Emblem would be OK but it'd have to be an anime film(s), not sure how well some of those designs would translate to live action, especially Kozaki's stuff. Splatoon could be a fun CG film though and I really liked the Star Fox Zero short. Wouldn't mind a full anime or CG film.

Live action-wise, I actually think Xenoblade X would be a good fit. Sci-fi seems like it'd be an easier sell than fantasy and a racially diverse cast could help internationally. Plus it could be their chance to actually expand on the story lol. That and I'm not sure how well Western movie audiences would respond to the first game's themes haha.

Metroid has some potential live action-wise too though I could see them going the cliched route of having Samus be mostly silent and having a robotic AI character provide all the banter. I'm really iffy on a live action Zelda though. Maybe they could do a "The Last Story" movie instead for a fantasy film or a film noir inspired Hotel Dusk - that could be prettttty awesome.

Az987

all good things
The next decade or so is going to be really interesting for Nintendo.

All this branching out with theme park deals, movies, mobile games, etc etc shows at least their waking up and recognizing they need other places to make money for when they end up with a Wii U type situation and not using their IPs to their full potential is a waste.

I just hope they don't screw up and end up in a worse position than they are in right now.

Griss

The fact that they've stated they know live action movies are a bad idea is good news.

But what on earth do they mean by doing it themselves? They don't have any ability to do that, surely. Not to a cinematic release caliber.

Pikmin shorts and Star Fox Zero short were really good though. Miyamoto was involved with both of those too.

The Star Fox Zero short was acceptable as a trailer for Star Fox. And only just about. As something someone would pay to watch? Get outta here, it's light years away from the required quality.

Top Bottom