• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces 3DS Animal Crossing

CTLance

Let me join the Photobucket hate brigade:

AHZTGDAKJHGSFLJHGFSALJHGAJHGADHJG!
33wkuw7.gif

dkeane

So the "twist" is that my character is mayor? Well I guess that'll bring some funnew things to do in terms of gameplay. I wish they'd push the graphics a bit more but as long as the online is good I'll play the hell out of it.

I know the screens are 2D, but it's weird that the animals look more 2D than they ever have. Is this going to be a weird effect with all 3DS screenshots?

mr.beers

dkeane said:
So the "twist" is that my character is mayor? Well I guess that'll bring some funnew things to do in terms of gameplay. I wish they'd push the graphics a bit more but as long as the online is good I'll play the hell out of it.

Free bridges for everyone!

careksims

YEEEEEEEEEES! I wants it! *spasms*

I didn't like city folk but I definitely loved WW.

I'm fine. I'm perfectly fine *twitch*

I never bought the DS version because I played the shit out of the GameCube version.

My wife never touched the Wii version because she loved the DS version.

This better have some big changes.

I really hope Animal pictures are back, it makes you feel like your actually making a connection with your neighbours.

The taller player characters look weird.

Tiktaalik

Wow that's really bizarre. Being the mayor of the town was one of the ideas that I thought would always be really interesting for the series.

I like the idea behind the series, but I always feel that Nintendo hasn't gone far enough in providing enough depth to the title. Maybe this one will finally get there.

No weeds, more to do, and whatever the case yes I'm buying it. I've bought every Animal Crossing to date and yes I know I'm part of the problem.

Also, can I pick 2 of my mates, Moe and Roald are awesome.

Alex

I always look forward to trying these games, hoping there will be new functionality and redesigns, but it's always the same thing, and I always get so annoyed that nothing you do has any effect on any of the game or it's characters at all. =/ It's such lazy, screen saver-esque, almost, design.

Maybe I need to check out Rune Factory some time.

Okay so the #1 thing I want is something to replace classic NES games. Maybe since GBA is officially obscelete now, we can collect GBA systems and play classic GBA games. I mean, as of now, there is no GBA virtual console!

Blueblur1

These more grown-up characters are off putting. They should worry about new features and enhancements instead of messing with character models. Ugh.

BooJoh

perfectchaos007 said:
Okay so the #1 thing I want is something to replace classic NES games. Maybe since GBA is officially obscelete now, we can collect GBA systems and play classic GBA games. I mean, as of now, there is no GBA virtual console!
I wouldn't count on it. There's always a chance we'll get a virtual console on 3DS. But more importantly, the devs felt that the NES games took away from the real game in the first one, because all anyone seemed to care about was collecting NES games, and I tend to agree.

So many people seem to think City Folk = Wild World = Population Growing without NES games, but the game has really come a long way.. it might take going back and playing Population Growing to realize just how far it's come, but it really has grown a lot, and I think the core gameplay is far more important than a collection of retro games.

Blueblur1 said:
These more grown-up characters are off putting. They should worry about new features and enhancements instead of messing with character models. Ugh.
I admit I prefer the originals, but I guess since you act as mayor they wanted to make the player look more like an adult.

seady

Seriously, if they don't change this game up, the series will keep on falling.
This is not like Mario or Zelda where you can have new stages or world for a sequel. This series need massive changes to deserve sequel.

BitchTits

WTF?! Nintendo have basically announced shown screens (mock-ups?) of almost all their franchises, can't believe it! :lol

I know they're not all launch titles, etc, but still for them to just say here they all are, we're working on them, in one go is amazing!

Koodo

Banned
It looks fantastic, but the screenshots aren't showing anything new and this is a series that desperately needs a refresher.

For one, I hate the current method of decorating rooms and it appears that might have been left unchanged. Ew.

EphNE

Please refrain from making offensive or illegal statements
mr.beers said:
3DS_ACrossing_04ss04_E3.png

I don't see it.

Look up to me peons... because I am your new mayor!

[edit] oh you were talking about the graphical update, NOT the failure of appearing more mayor-y.

It does looks better than the DS version. How that game chugged. I'm excited, despite not expecting a big difference.

rpmurphy

One thing that they must implement into this game: stargazing like in Google Sky Maps. Since 3DS has the gyro tech.

miksar said:
It looks better than City Folk, seriously.
Which doesn't say much. But anyway, I'm very comfortable the way Animal Crossing looks, graphic is not my concern.

Bending_Unit_22 said:
No weeds, more to do, also, can I pick 2 of my mates, Moe and Roald are awesome.
Weeds confirmed, and Maple > All.

One thing that really bothers me is how easy is to destroy flowers, you can't even run. Ugh.

Osuwari said:
not day 1 but considering it depending on what gets revealed over time.
Day one or day never, this is actually the game I'm looking forward the most of all plataforms, but everything depends on how much they are going to change Animal Crossing gameplay.

GK86 said:
I hope Nintendo improved it. I need my AC fix.
THIS! Hopefully Nintendo won't fuck with yet another entry, I can't wait until Wii HD just to get trolled once again. It's time to get it right.

Sammy Samusu said:
Which doesn't say much. But anyway, I'm very comfortable the way Animal Crossing looks, graphic is not my concern.

Weeds confirmed, and Maple > All.

One thing that really bothers me is how easy is to destroy flowers, you can't even run. Ugh.

Day one or day never, this is actually the game I'm looking forward the most of all plataforms, but everything depends on how much they are going to change Animal Crossing gameplay.

THIS! Hopefully Nintendo won't fuck with yet another entry, I can't wait until Wii HD just to get trolled once again. It's time to get it right.

I said the same thing about Animal Crossing City Folk. I bought a Wii for City Folk only to play it for less hours than I did on most games in my Wii library.

And as for the graphics, I also don't care about that much either. The only reason Wild World was so bad was all my furniture was grainy. And that was only because the DS screens resolution was so bad. At least the resolution is better this time around so the dartboard and pinball machine in my house won't look like a bunch of random colored pixels.

My most anticipated title for the 3DS. We're at that annoying stage in a game announcement, though, where there's juuuuuuuuuust enough info to talk about something to do with the game, but not enough to drive away the baseless speculation that so plagues other message boards.

SirPenguin said:
My most anticipated title for the 3DS. We're at that annoying stage in a game announcement, though, where there's juuuuuuuuuust enough info to talk about something to do with the game, but not enough to drive away the baseless speculation that so plagues other message boards.

Didn't stop 15000 posts about 3DS between the announcement in March and E3 from happening. Then of course During and After E3, there were thousands more!

City Folk is possibly the biggest missed opportunity in video game history. I really hope this game delivers...

Edit: Btw, did anyone here played the Sims Online back in the day? I basically want animal crossing to be that! :lol

Fantastical

Death Prophet
autobzooty said:
City Folk is possibly the biggest missed opportunity in video game history. I really hope this game delivers...
Tell me about it. When that subtitled got leaked I was excited because I thought you lived in a big city and it was going to be much bigger and better than what we had seen. I was really disappointed when it was revealed at E3.

I really want things to change in this one. Why is Nintendo so lazy with this franchise?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I hope it does away with the requirement to water flowers to keep them alive that Wild World introduced! Having ta care for a million flowers is what turned me away from that game!

Oh god I just realized something horrifying! Scorpions in 3D ahhhh as if they weren't scary enough!!

Rafaelcsa

City Folk was the first (and only) Animal Crossing I've played and I love it. Why is everyone so down on it? Just because it's too close to the previous entries or is there anything specific about the game you all don't like?

Rafaelcsa said:
City Folk was the first (and only) Animal Crossing I've played and I love it. Why is everyone so down on it? Just because it's too close to the previous entries or is there anything specific about the game you all don't like?

It is basically the same game as the earlier ones. All the old content is there and almost nothing substantial has been added.

I understand it must be tempting to just port all the old models and stuff into the new game, but to those of us who started with the GCN game (or the N64 original), it's the same old stuff we've already seen and gotten a little sick of.

Rafaelcsa said:

It's not that it was a bad game, but people were just disappointed when thinking of all that could have been. Nothing substantial was added to the game, even though there was so much potential with the wii.

Lindsay said:
I hope it does away with the requirement to water flowers to keep them alive that Wild World introduced! Having ta care for a million flowers is what turned me away from that game!

Oh god I just realized something horrifying! Scorpions in 3D ahhhh as if they weren't scary enough!!

I just realized that the Museum is gonna be MUCH more interesting now that we have 3D! :O

flawfuls said:
Forth isn't it. We never got the n64 game in English, but I'm going to assume it's the same as the rest.

The gamecube version was the japanese n64 version. just a port and a translation.

Bo130

autobzooty said:
The gamecube version was the japanese n64 version. just a port and a translation.

I'm pretty sure the graphics were bettered, and a lot of Furniture, NES Games and, I think, the music wasn't added until the GameCube version.

Otherwise it wouldn't be called Doubutsu no Mori Plus in Japan.

Right now I have no hopes for this game. Based on the previous entries, it's going to be the same game. I loved the first game I played, back on the GameCube. I waited for it several months, finally was able to import it, and played it every day for hours :D So I very much would like to be proved wrong on this one of course.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
One thing I love about the 3DS is that most devs will use the top screen for gameplay. I'm playing Spirit Tracks right now and I hate having to cover the screen with my hand to play the game, I wish I could just use the friggin D Pad to move Link. Although I guess buying a special long stylus would fix this somewhat.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I hope you can put furniture outside and like make many many more furnitures USEABLE instead of plain old decoration. I wanna slide down the sliding board, drive around in the steam roller, cook at the kitchen an so many other things! The most interaction with stuff is just sitting on them or turning them on/off an that stinks!

autobzooty said:
I just realized that the Museum is gonna be MUCH more interesting now that we have 3D! :O

I'll steer clear of the bug wing!

Lindsay said:
I hope you can put furniture outside and like make many many more furnitures USEABLE instead of plain old decoration. I wanna slide down the sliding board, drive around in the steam roller, cook at the kitchen an so many other things! The most interaction with stuff is just sitting on them or turning them on/off an that stinks!

I'll steer clear of the bug wing!

:lol :lol maybe I won't be laughing at Blathers now when he freaks out. I'll be freaking out with him:lol

seady

Animal Crossing is one of the strongest examples that shows how Nintendo unable to revolutionize their franchise.

Their other franchise also have this problem, but their core mechanics are so good so it is possible to change a little bit of things and release another game. Animal Crossing's core idea is great, but not the type of games that can do their biannual updates.

seady said:
Animal Crossing is one of the strongest examples that shows how Nintendo unable to revolutionize their franchise.

Their other franchise also have this problem, but their core mechanics are so good so it is possible to change a little bit of things and release another game. Animal Crossing's core idea is great, but not the type of games that can do their biannual updates.

Pfft, nonsense. Nintendo franchises change from each iteration just as much if not more than those from other devs

Shiggie

seady said:

Give some games that have revolutionized a franchise.

Top Bottom