• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces HarmoKnight (Gamefreak's eShop rhythm platformer)

upandaway

I wonder if they felt tempted to put the Pokemon IP on it. I could say it fits the game but really the Pokemon world could fit anything if they willed it.

Looks pretty neat, but it's not the miracle of anything.

-GJ-

All the visual text and voices are already in English, only the dialogue would have to be translated, which could be done within a day. Come on Nintendo, release it here next week too!

Kokonoe

Banned
I wonder if they felt tempted to put the Pokemon IP on it. I could say it fits the game but really the Pokemon world could fit anything if they willed it.

Looks pretty neat, but it's not the miracle of anything.

I'm sure they are aware of their raving rabbid fans and it's why they did it. Pokemon sells as you can see by posts in this thread.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Why are people treating this game as a precursor to Pokemon, and not the 3D Pokedex which has been out for ages and contains actual 3D models of Pokemon?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Looks good.

I like that the song will apparently sound different depending on whether you take the high path or the low path, etc, just because of what notes/background objects are in each direction.

Holy Wars

Banned
I'm currently playing Sleeping Dogs with the high-res texture pack on a high-end PC. It's probably one of the most next-gen-looking games at the moment. Absolutely gorgeous. (Incredible game, too.)

But HarmoKnight looks lovely in its own right. Technically simple? Sure. But the art direction, the colors, the character designs and the layered backgrounds makes it exciting to look at, especially given the brisk pace at which it all whirls by. In other words, different games look equally beautiful in different ways, imo.

So this is controlled with buttons, right? Please let it be so. The level where you play as the female archer running along the dino bones looks so fun.

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs too. I certainly don't expect it to look like that. But this screams "DS leftover", which I guess it turns out it is, but I wouldn't accept that on a home console and I feel like portables have came far enough that I should expect a reasonable generational leap.

Neiteio

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs too. I certainly don't expect it to look like that. But this screams "DS leftover", which I guess it turns out it is, but I wouldn't accept that on a home console and I feel like portables have came far enough that I should expect a reasonable generational leap.
Maybe my love for Pushmo and the fact that game looked even simpler makes me more tolerant of HarmoKnight here, but I think for an eShop title that will probably be priced accordingly, and given the pick-up-and-play nature of the game, it'll be fine. :)

How is the 3D in this game? I love the 3D effect of the 3DS and always play my games with it dialed all the way.

EDIT: Whoa, a Pokemon Theatrhythm would be amazing (in response to Tenki's suggestion).

HIDDEN POWER of masuda has a post about it

So I take it development started in 2009 and initially with a team of 3. Maybe the latter if why Gamefreak stuff seems to take an eternity to develop. Also Ideas stage started with playable builds rather than usual proposal to design thing...makes me wonder in general if codejamming is the future for trying ideas?

HIDDEN POWER of masuda has a post about it

So I take it development started in 2009 and initially with a team of 3. Maybe the latter if why Gamefreak stuff seems to take an eternity to develop. Also Ideas stage started with playable builds rather than usual proposal to design thing...makes me wonder in general if codejamming is the future for trying ideas?

James Turner hasn't been at the company since 2009 iirc. Although, they did mention the member team in Iwata Asks with reference to the Google 20% rule.

HyperHip

Been playing since this morning and even managed to kick the snot out of the Pokemon stage. I wish the demo had more then 5 tries, already down to 2 :( .

Wow. Hard to tell each musician apart, especially since Hitomi Sato can imitate each and every one of them. Stylistically, though, the mine-cart music feels like Go Ichinose's work, though I'm having trouble with the other tracks.

Looks like a great little game, with a lot of bendy animation and cool cutscenes. Oh, and amazing music.

This game looks lovely, and I'm absolutely going to buy it when it comes stateside, but I hope Pokemon 3DS keeps using sprites. There's no way Pokemon with 3D models would look better than Pokemon with sprites.

This game looks lovely, and I'm absolutely going to buy it when it comes stateside, but I hope Pokemon 3DS keeps using sprites. There's no way Pokemon with 3D models would look better than Pokemon with sprites.

If you think the BW sprites in animation look better than the Pokedex Pro models, I think you're either blind, delusional, or crazy. :p

If you think the BW sprites in animation look better than the Pokedex Pro models, I think you're either blind, delusional, or crazy. :p

Well, no, because Black and White are DS games and Pokedex Pro models are 3DS assets.

Hi-res sprites designed for 3DS would be better suited than 3D models, though.

Drago

So what are the chances this comes to NA/EU? I except it to, and I hope it's here by years end... which I sorta doubt :/

Well, no, because Black and White are DS games and Pokedex Pro models are 3DS assets.

Well, regardless, GF has been hiring experienced 3D modelers.
I'd say it's very unlikely they'll go back to sprites.

So what are the chances this comes to NA/EU? I except it to, and I hope it's here by years end... which I sorta doubt :/

I imagine it'll come over; "From the makers of Pokemon" is a hell of a tag to put on a game.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a release this year; the localisation rate of eShop titles is patchy.

Well, regardless, GF has been hiring experienced 3D modelers.
I'd say it's very unlikely they'll go back to sprites.

I agree.
Unfortunately.

As much money as Gamefreak makes, high resolution sprites are not going to happen. The market has rewarded their mediocrity too much. :(

goomba

Banned
The 3DS's resolution is just barely bigger than that of the DS. "High-res" sprites were never gonna happen.

e3-2010-ds-vs-3ds-the-flattened-visual-comparison-20100617065310140.jpg

Love the style and graphics, but you can tell it was the guy from the UK who designed the characters (He did the ice cream Pokemon and Vullaby, as well as the two golem Pokemon, one is Golurk).

Shame, it would've been nice to see Sugimori at the helm, but Jason (right?) come up with the idea in the first place, so it took a guy from the UK to kick GF into finally making a new IP.

Ever since I found out about him the whole concept of him being from the UK is like the black sheep of the company, I wonder what encouraged GF to hire him?

The only non-JP people I've seen associated with Nintendo are those originating in NA companies, Giles Goddard came from Argonaut before working at EAD before forming Vitei.

Love the style and graphics, but you can tell it was the guy from the UK who designed the characters (He did the ice cream Pokemon and Vullaby, as well as the two golem Pokemon, one is Golurk).

Shame, it would've been nice to see Sugimori at the helm, but Jason (right?) come up with the idea in the first place, so it took a guy from the UK to kick GF into finally making a new IP.

Ever since I found out about him the whole concept of him being from the UK is like the black sheep of the company, I wonder what encouraged GF to hire him?

The only non-JP people I've seen associated with Nintendo are those originating in NA companies, Giles Goddard came from Argonaut before working at EAD before forming Vitei.

GF also has at least one Korean person working for them. They designed Tepig, iirc.

James Turner also pushed for much of the 3D work (cut scenes) in BW.

Basically, Japanese games/companies ruined by foreigners?

ED Cantu

It looks interesting even though it seems that the game is very simple, and the art is more or less good, I don't know I'm not sold on this game yet.

Wheyy the fun part of a Game Freak thread where people who haven't played a Pokemon since Red/Blue think they know everything.
I have played Platinum and White, thank you very much.
This has never been true of the series, less so now.
Okay, crummy was unfair. Subpar still work for you? I won't judge the music, but the visuals leave something to be desired and the narrative is laughable. Not to mention the gameplay surrounding the core gameplay.

Top Bottom