• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces HarmoKnight (Gamefreak's eShop rhythm platformer)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
James Turner needs to have more input with the next Pokemon game.

All his Pokemon were really fun designs (even the Ice Cream Pokemon!) and it's nice that he seems to be responsible for getting Gamefreak to do another property for once.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Hope this comes to Europe soon, and isn't another "Sakura Samurai" (a game inexplicably delayed for months).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
White is one of the greatest JRPGs for the DS, and that's truly saying something.

If someone can't see that, then they really have no place to judge JRPGs.

I don't see how your point about narrative matches up with Game Freak settling for mediocrity, though. It's all well and good not liking BW's plot, but there is no denying that it isn't just sticking to what made Pokemon successful; the greater emphasis on plot and character, and the subverting of the normal League structure is pretty significant.

And, considering the huge amount of assets Pokemon games use, I was impressed by what Black and White squeezed out of the DS in terms of graphics and setting.

...So, about that HarmoKnights?

@MUWANdo

Banned
e3-2010-ds-vs-3ds-the-flattened-visual-comparison-20100617065310140.jpg

Yes, and...?

The sprites would be marginally bigger, but functionally identical to those of the DS games, and certainly not "high-res". Proper animated sprites aren't so much a limitation of the platform as a reflection of the fact that they'd take a lot of effort and a hell of a long time to draw for all 600+ pokeymans.

The stereoscopic nature of the 3DS pushed them to adopt 3D models sooner than they might otherwise have, but as more and more pokeys come into existence it was always an inevitability.

...So, about that HarmoKnights?

For real.

Boney

Banned
I have played Platinum and White, thank you very much.

Okay, crummy was unfair. Subpar still work for you? I won't judge the music, but the visuals leave something to be desired and the narrative is laughable. Not to mention the gameplay surrounding the core gameplay.

i think changing your avatar made you terrible people

i think changing your avatar made you terrible people
If having high standards is terrible, then I am terrible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
White is one of the greatest JRPGs for the DS, and that's truly saying something.

If someone can't see that, then they really have no place to judge JRPGs.
Coming from you, that is hardly unbiased.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pokemon it's just I want it to be more than what it currently is.

All his Pokemon were really fun designs (even the Ice Cream Pokemon!) and it's nice that he seems to be responsible for getting Gamefreak to do another property for once.
I wonder how he got to join Game Freak. The company itself is one of the most unique and worker-friendly workspaces one could find in Japan, yet I'd imagine that the recruiters would be somewhat picky. His artwork is awesome stuff, that said. Fleischer eyes and vivid colors everywhere.

Just wish I could figure out who did what with the music! Game Freak should release their older game soundtracks, including Drill Dozer, Bazaru de Gozaru, Click + Medic, and now this.

I wonder how he got to join Game Freak. The company itself is one of the most unique and worker-friendly workspaces one could find in Japan, yet I'd imagine that the recruiters would be somewhat picky. His artwork is awesome stuff, that said. Fleischer eyes and vivid colors everywhere.

If I remember Iwata Asks rightly, he first came on board for help in applying the rail technology that Black and White used on the Skyarrow Bridge, Dragonspiral Tower and Victory Road, for maintaining a contrast forward direction while going round bends. He used the opportunity to pitch some designs, IIRC.

He obviously gained some cache if he became prominent enough to suggest new IP.

Just wish I could figure out who did what with the music! Game Freak should release their older game soundtracks, including Drill Dozer, Bazaru de Gozaru, Click + Medic, and now this.

Does SCE or Sony Music own Click + Medic? If the latter, then GF should have no prob, but if it's SCE, then working with Nintendo might discourage SCE from allowing GF to release the soundtrack.

Does SCE or Sony Music own Click + Medic? If the latter, then GF should have no prob, but if it's SCE, then working with Nintendo might discourage SCE from allowing GF to release the soundtrack.
I don't know the specifics myself. But a comprehensive set of Game Freak soundtracks, with liner notes and behind-the-scenes footage, would be a worthy collector's item. We'll just have to wait and see—and interview Masuda about it.

Honestly, this game was the secret best announcement of the entire Nintendo Direct. Being a huge Japanese rhythm game fan, I was hooked right from the beginning of the trailer.

Now I just need to hope/wait for a US release announcement. Don't you dare screw us on this like you do everything else, NoA...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really wish they remove the jump and arm swing noise. It clashes with an otherwise good melody.

Played the demo on a flight today. I had a lot of fun, could be worth it if indeed there are eight worlds with each level having unique tracks. Let's hope this is successful

Shiggy

Is he the same James Turner that worked at Genius Sonority?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Now that I have a 3DS my desire to play this is burning. Please localize it soon, Nintendo.

linko9

There is no reason to not put this out in America. Just slap a giant "FROM THE MAKERS OF POKEMON" banner on the eshop, it's guaranteed to make some moneyz.

Holy crap, that Pokemon level was fun.
Too bad it uses the sucky 5th gen music :/

The boss encounter with the huge dog was enjoyable as hell, too. I think I'll actually buy the full game later on.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PLEASE COME TO AMERICA

I BOUGHT A 3DS XL NINTENDO

WHAT MORE DO I HAVE TO DO

Onto the second world at the minute. I loved the demo, but this really is brilliant. So much charm and variety, with a nice, gradual learning curve and replayability potential.

Top Bottom