• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Nintendo's R&D laboratory

Ian-Rawlinson-Wedges.jpg

I know you guys are in shock, but have you actually stopped to think about this? They're lowering the entry price of the system by $40 on the same day Pokemon launches. This isn't for us. It's aimed at a younger audience. They (and their parents) don't care if the system is ugly.

This is the smartest thing Nintendo has done in a long time.
I agree, I think it'll sell well. That doesn't mean I have to like it though!

Debs

If I didn't know what date it was I'd have thought it was April Fools day today..lol. The design looks very uncomfortable...

nampad

This is clearly a testbed for the following Wii U NTS (no touchscreen) coming spring 2014 around Mario Kart 8 for $229.99.

I can't believe Nintendo is really doing a 2DS after all this time, and not only does it look HIDEOUS, but they STILL won't throw a second analog at the bottom right. LOL.

I totally agree. Thought you were joking in the MC thread.
Missing second analog is the worst, but including it probably wouldn't change controlability of future games anyway with the 3DS installed base.

Frolow

Banned
That's probably one of the ugliest handheld designs I've ever seen. Still, I can see it selling well with the younger audience.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It's really ugly and seems kind of useless but people might buy this option for their kids with Pokemon.

Though Nintendo is really bad at picking names.

Now you'll have uninformed people asking what a 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS and DS are.

BigDug13

Carrying case is another $13 and is pretty much required due to the console design. So it's really not $130, it's $143. Still cheaper than the OG 3DS but is it really that much "value" considering its design and less portability with you also needing cargo pants pockets and to carry around that cloth case with you everywhere?

The reason why Nintendo's portable consoles have been so good has been the clamshell design. It allows for complete portability without needing a carrying case or protective covers. It's the main advantage hardware-wise they have over more powerful Vita type game systems.

Removing that seems incredibly stupid to me.

Man, can't wait for Nintendo to release the Wii 2 next year as a Wii U w/no game pad.

For the record, this is a very very smart move.
and what the DS successor should have been from the beginning

Nintendo is king at market confusion. "We have a 2DS and 3DS, both play 3DS games but the 2DS doesn't do 3D. Also the 2DS plays DS games but the 3DS doesn't. Oh, and we also have a bigger 3DS called the XL."

"What about the NDS, what does that play"

"Only the 2D DS games, which is to say NOT the 3DS games that can be played in 2D on your 2DS"

For $130 it's hard to beat this. Friends of mine that haven't gotten a 3DS yet will probably pick this up in time for Pokemon. The form factor is weird but this is smart.

DarkMehm

Terrible, terrible name choice. Holy shit, if (a few) people on this very forum seem confused, then I can't imagine what will happen out there in the retail world.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
from the promo video

"welcome to the newest member of the 3DS family...the 2DS"

wtf.

I guess it's cheap but it looks so ungainly with the controls halfway up the screen - not very handy for switching between touch and controls quickly

Maybe they took out the hinge because parents complained about kids breaking it? God knows.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I know you guys are in shock, but have you actually stopped to think about this? They're lowering the entry price of the system by $40 on the same day Pokemon launches. This isn't for us. It's aimed at a younger audience. They (and their parents) don't care if the system is ugly.

This is the smartest thing Nintendo has done in a long time.

I keep seeing this line of thought and it really doesn't make any sense.

They should have just had Pokemon 3DS bundles instead. It would have been more effective than this device if thats the best reason for its existence.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really see the point of this, and it looks too big.

I'd rather have a 3DS redesign with a second circle pad, even though I wouldn't buy it because I just got my XL this year.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This entire thread doesn't seem to realize that this isn't for us.

3DS without the 3D

"We're pleased to announce the Nintendo S!"

That thing looks fucking horrible. I guess they're getting rid of extraneous components such as the 3D capability and the hinge design in order to cut costs, but it could be a bit more attractive. It looks even less portable than its two predecessors.

butman

Someone went crazy on Nintendo HQ.

WHY is even happening this? They sent to hell all their Portable philosophy.

tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_500.gif

Top Bottom