• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Paskil

Wouldn't a 3DS without the 3D be a...DS?

They really, really need to change their naming conventions. 2DS is almost as awful as WiiU

69wpm

Well, this is.. unexpected. I really thought they would do some kind of 3DS re-resign, but this, oh boy. Will probably sell like bread.

Vandiger

The price, the fact that its hingeless, and aimed for kids. Really genius by Nintendo, watch this thing sell like hotcakes, bastard company but they know what buttons to hit :p

bomblord

Banned
I got it guys after much deliberation I have figured out why Nintendo made this.

THIS IS THE ANSWER TO THE BOTTOM SCREEN SCRATCHING THE TOP ONE!

Axass

Here is the fact sheet. It has slightly better battery life than the normal 3DS and also the same screen size as that one.

bildschirmfoto2013-08zcsjl.png

I love how they all have the green sign at the 3D/2D section... as if missing 3D wasn't a lacking feature...

Busaiku

The design is so terrible.
Why the heck are the buttons so high up.
Why would they change the Start/Select layout from 3DS XL and push the buttons up.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

...What? Are the triggers still on the very top even though the rest of the controls are in the middle? My sense of scale is thrown off from the complete insanity of everything here, but using the DPad and the L button at the same time seems impossible for a child's hands.

edit:

That is clearly a full grown man who can just barely reach the L button while using the circle pad. What hope does a child, the target market for this product apparently, have of using it?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They are making wrong decisions all the time since 3DS, time to fire someone.

3DS name, underpowered 3DS, useless 3D gimmick, WiiU name, underpowered WiiU, useless tablet controller, HORRIBLE design of 2DS
What's next?

wow what? If 3DS is a wrong decision, what does that make the vita now?

I understand who the market for this is. It is not NeoGAF. This is 3DS for babbies.

I'm already thinking that one of these + Animal Crossing would be the perfect Xmas gift for my 10-year old brother-in-law. He's cracked the hinges wide open on 2 DSes in the past, and he loved AC last time he came to visit.

Jonboy

Jose Otero ‏@jose_otero 1m
,@olavjm The 2DS triggers feel comfortable, but the back is a little too flat. Feels sturdy though and not cheap.

Totally buying this for my kid.

I've been wanting to get one but the potential problems that 3D has on young peoples eyes has kept me away.

haha looks like a piece of cake. If it was cake themed and painted like a cake, it would be cooler.

I'll stick with my folding 3DS. Better to carry around on my pocket.

idlewild_

The device looks terrible, why couldn't they keep the clamshell design? I guess this is their way to avoid ever dropping the 3DS to $130 :(

hodgy100

i dont see the point in this, it wont be much cheaper than the base 3ds in the uk, its ugly, looks uncomfortable, it isnt clamshell.

WHY NINTENDO WHY!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I like the fact that it's not longer 3D but can take 3D photos using it's two outside cameras. Genius.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It's hideous, but I'm not the target market and this thing is going to sell gangbusters. You could probably run it over and set it on fire and it would still work. I love my 3DS XL, I'm 31 years old, and I even I get worried about having hinge issues. This is a great idea for kids.

The placing of hte buttons is what i've wanted all this time.

A centre of gravity where you actually hold it.

I don't care what it looks like. Function > Form.

3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS which is actually a 3DS without 3D. Talk about customer confusion. What in the fuck are you doing, Nintendo? I mean seriously?!

So after spending a good while staring at this thing and muttering WTF repeatedly, I watched the video. It looks much better I guess. I think it will do well.

Top Bottom