• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Seik

Banned
I think it looks horrible, I mean, look at the thing. Mechanical parts for closing the thing were too expensive?

What the hell?

Acosta

It looks like a device for kids so it does more for the cause than it would had it been sleeker.

So 3DS is not designed for kids? What was the last handheld Nintendo did not thinking on kids?

kswiston said:
I think a lot of parents can't afford to spend $330 on a mini for their 8 year old, regardless of what their kids want. The IPad Mini is about 2.5x the price of the 2DS.

I don't think parents are going to forget so easily that Angry Bird is 0.99$.

$129 vs $399

A 7" nook is a better comparison IMO. I agree, however, that this is not a tablet. Not even close to having the functionality and flexibility of a tablet.

Yes, maybe the Ipad Mini is not the best example but you got what I wanted to say about the tablet thing. I still believe the App price factor is fundamental too.

Wait, you have a 3DS XL, and you're envious of this product?

I have a 3DSXL and I want one. I fucking hate clamshell. I do not play my games outside the house and this look more comfortable on the couch to me.

honestly I will be getting one because my wife uses my XL all fucking day for animal crossing and @ $120 dollars its an easy decision.

Nintendo will sell so many of these.

Kimaka

Like a tablet?

It may be comfortable to use around the house or in the car but I don't understand why they didn't make it foldable. It would be easier for kids to carry with them to use at school, at a friends house, or just walking around town if it were smaller. More kids are on their phones when they are outside because they are easier to carry and pull out. Tablets are usually used when you are stationary for long periods of time.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Good god that is ugly. And if you're worried about the 3D effects on a 3DS, just turn them off and/or lock them within the parental controls. A 2DS makes no fucking sense except to release a cheaper model.

magnetic

The design reminds me a lot of the Wii Mini, while the concept reminds me of the yurop-only PSP Street (which had no Wifi and was mono-only as well).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for taking my mind of the W101 sales tragedy Nintendo! :D

LCfiner

I come back from lunch and this is what i see? holy crap.

design is a mess. name is confusing and very funny. but it'll be a kid's default pokemon machine so it might do OK.

nintendo has to lean even harder on portables now that the Wii U is struggling.

Anyone complaining about the design and lack of a 2nd analog stick, you're clearly not in the target audience.

As someone who shops for kids I've noticed they're not very specific when it comes to how their video games look. As long as they can play the game. This looks like a very solid design, plays all the 3DS games, and the price is attractive to parents.

All 3DS retail game packaging says "Nintendo 3DS", wont this 2DS confuse general consumers?

What about the displays that say "Only on 3DS"?

This new slate handheld is fucking ugly. It just is. I also don't see it as a good move, from Nintendo.

It's actually funny though: it's as if Nintendo is telling the people that wanted a 3Dless 3DS, that they listened. Nintendo responded by removing the clamshell, lowering the cost and giving them the ugliest handheld I've ever seen. Don't like 3D? Have this monstrosity!

Appleman

Pretty surprised they're giving people a lower priced option BEFORE Pokemon and MH4 drop... The OG 3DS was going to sell gangbusters either way, might as well force people to pony up the extra $40

sugarless

AR requires two cameras to measure distances.

Plus they are not going to suddenly remove an input that some games may require to function. The buttons, circle pad, D-pad, touchscreen and cameras are all potential game inputs and form a baseline spec for a 3DS game-compatible system. 3D is an output and is not, and right from the start has been treated as a nice-to-have that shouldn't break a game if it's turned off (although Nintendo themselves skirted very close to that line with the 3D perspective trick rooms in Super Mario 3D Land).

Anth0ny

Christ, I go to they gym for 1 hour and Nintendo drops the bomb of all bombs.

This thing looks hideous and uncomfortable to hold. why the fuck would they drop the clamshell design? Even still, there are better ways to design the thing. eww.

KarmaCow

Maybe I missing something but I don't think kids want tablets because the silhouette is a thin slate.

The 2DS still has two different sized screens, only one being a (resistive) touch screen, a bunch of buttons, no good non gaming apps and completely different types of games. The price will certainly help with Pokemon but I don't see how this meant to capture the market eaten by tablets.

magawolaz

I love living in the EU:

CI16_PickaColour_image600w.png
The white one is beautiful.

Will there be a Pokémon bundle?

Ricker

Nice,might get one for my parents now,who love to play Crossword on the regular XL but can't play the new version since they only made a 3DS version...this thing accepts all the 3DS games right...?

MisterHero

I had the money for regular 3DS and almost bought one a week before XL debuted.
I did the same last week with the XL. Enough money for the thing but not any games.

I don't know I was waiting for this time. :p

Grief.exe

I had the WTF reaction just like everyone else, but just looking at it closer I'm starting to see a lot of pros:

Removing the hinge alone results in:
  • Less separation between screens
  • Potentially bigger area for battery
  • Better ergonomics for the controls

This seems like it would be great for those who are interested in playing 3DS games but don't care for a super portable system. The reduced price sweetens the deal.

The whole design is meant to reduce costs. So even if there is potential room for a larger battery, Nintendo will use the cheapest one possible.

Verified by the official fact sheet as well.

Why does this exist? This is how they're getting around lowering the 3DS price? It doesn't even fold, which is one of the best features of the DS/3DS. Bleh.

fertygo

The hate for this amuses me. This is not aimed at gaming enthusiasts. It's a cheap entry price for Pokémon X Y. It's supposed to generate money over the holiday season. This is Iwata's plan to hit forecasts.

We just "hating" the design, why its can't look "normal"
Jeez I want this badly.. but the design just..

jmdajr

Didn't Nintendo say this is for <7 y/o?
it did!

Why are people complaining about this? It is not like the 3DS and XL are going to cease to exist.

If it was for kids under 7 I would not even include wifi on there, or digital store.

Extreme thinking, but man...I can't really give my kid a tablet or phone to "play" with.
Always the chance she will mess something up.
(1 year old)

lt519

Now that I'm done laughing I'm coming to the slow realization that this is the perfect fit for my hands and since I only play it at home...gdi Nintendo I just bought a XL

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
it's a concern but this allows them to have better economies of scale on part sharing between the OG and the 2DS and nintendo has never been known to enact a software solution or hardware chip solution when they can avoid it see also how they've implemented BC the last gazillion years
According to the interview with Scott Moffett on GamesIndustry it is one continuous screen and the shell is there to create the illusion of two separate screens. I imagine people would think their screen was broken if there was parts that weren't displaying stuff.

Laieon

The design is pretty terrible, but the idea of a 3DS without the 3D seems like a pretty good idea. At $129.99, I might be able to convince some friends who are on the fence when it comes to picking up the 3DS to get one.

It may be comfortable to use around the house or in the car but I don't understand why they didn't make it foldable. It would be easier for kids to carry with them to use at school, at a friends house, or just walking around town if it were smaller. More kids are on their phones when they are outside because they are easier to carry and pull out. Tablets are usually used when you are stationary for long periods of time.
I don't know about other states but tablet and gaming system are banned in the schools of my area, the have to drop them in the principal's office.

Top Bottom