• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

eojoko

I think the shoulder buttons, which seem to always be a problem, look really good here. It's also a good price.

But I would hate carrying this around for streetpasses.

MYE

Guys, stop with this nonsense of the tablet form, this is not a tablet.

Are you saying this...

Is going to compete with this?

Do you think children don't have taste?

The idea is good but I won't be convinced this is the best design they could have done. It look hideous.

Its going to compete with the money parents spend on buying kids tablets. If its cheaper, they can buy both. And you cant play Pokemon on an iPad mini so yeah

jts

...hate me...
blue1.jpg

Mono speaker.

Stereo camera.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND.
Not system relevant.

System relevant.

NO U.

yami4ct

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/BZiJM8K.jpg[/IMG]
Reminds me of the GBA Micro announcement a bit. But yeah, seems pretty cool for little kids. If you don't want it you could just get a 3DS for a little more.

Since I already own an XL which is perfect for me, I'll skip this. Seems like a good idea for the kids, though.

Speaking of the GBA Micro, I'm still sad I skipped that thing. Would love to have one now. So dumb, yet so cool/interesting.

What on Earth Nintendo!

Why not just bundle Pokemon with the standard 3DS instead of wasting R&D on what looks like something that was made from leftover parts? Since 3D was the most advertised feature of the device and what sets it apart from other handheld devices in the first place.

-KRS-

Huh. That certainly came out of left field.

I guess it sort of makes sense removing the 3D screen but why move away from the clamshell design? That makes absolutely no sense. I bet it's pretty comfortable to hold though.

pariah164

Okay, now that the shock has worn off, I'll hold out for a 2DS XL; the screen on it is apparently the same as the normal 3DS, and I remember how weird it felt to play on that after using the XL for over a year.

Do we know the weight of this thing?

I also don't see the same wii u style brand confusion occuring. Thankfully Nintendo had the sense to keep the DS slot, so any DS branded game will work, be it a DS or 3DS game. If they launched a 2DS with only a 3DS card slot it would be killed by consumer confusion for sure.

Harlock

It looks like a... tablet.

Will be a huge success with kids. Kids dont like 3d in games and the hardware seems more robust and simple to use.

tbm24

From the video, I don't think it looks bad. Also it seems like it would not physically hurt my hands like playing my OG 3DS does. In the video the kids put the thing in a small Nintendo bag. Assuming that's included this 2DS looks really cool. People complaining its not portable, neither are tablets if you want to compare but people find ways anyway. I just remember being a kid and bringing my gameboy to school in my lunch box, I think they'll be fine.

kuppy

To everyone complaining:
“We’re always thinking about what we can do that’s new, unique, different, and brings more people into this category that we love,” Fils-Aime said. “And so with the Nintendo 3DS, we were clear to parents that, ‘hey, we recommend that your children be seven and older to utilize this device.’ So clearly that creates an opportunity for five-year-olds, six-year-olds, that first-time handheld gaming consumer."
IGN
This is a valid point, because the 2DS system isn't as easy to break, 3D also isn't that good for five-year-olds and the price point is lower.
If it will sell is another question.

0_o lol what, i just got home and am now seeing this.

if they went for $99 D: D: D: then it would have been nuts but $129 will move units, plus with pokemon out in October

DenzelBoom.gif soon :p

Mihos

Gold Member
Its ugly as fuck...but the parents on tight budget and that compare the pricer 3DS to tables will give them an incentive. This console is not for hardcore gamers. Its entry level. I think its a fantastic idea that can give them some additional and much needed leverage. Consider it the 'iPad Mini" perhaps?

You know what else isn't for hardcore gamers? A used 3DS.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I agree stump, but in going with the mindset of recapturing an audience conditioned to tablet form factors, wouldn't it have been wise to join the displays together and have a row of blank pixels act as a seperator? Yeah the ratios of both screens are different, but I feel like this idea could have been executed a little more elegantly.

Thoughts?

it's a concern but this allows them to have better economies of scale on part sharing between the OG and the 2DS and nintendo has never been known to enact a software solution or hardware chip solution when they can avoid it see also how they've implemented BC the last gazillion years

Guys, stop with this nonsense of the tablet form, this is not a tablet.

Are you saying this...

Is going to compete with this?

Do you think children don't have taste?

The idea is good but I won't be convinced this is the best design they could have done. It look hideous.

$129 vs $399

A 7" nook is a better comparison IMO. I agree, however, that this is not a tablet. Not even close to having the functionality and flexibility of a tablet.

Talamius

So I'm sitting down for lunch and want to read a little GAF. GAF is awfully slow, but who knows. maybe it's server maintenance.

Then I see this.

Oh, wow. Speechless is an understatement.

All you have to do is not buy it and buy the regular one.

The regular one costs $70 more. As someone who's been waiting on a cheaper 3ds and couldn't care less about a 3D, this is extremely disappointing. I know they're aiming it at a young audience and all but goddamn. Did they really have to make it that ugly...

nikatapi

Makes sense as a product aimed at children and coming along with Pokemon to help drive sales.

The 2D screen makes also sense to lower the cost of the device significantly, as well as the concerns of parents for eye damage on their children.

They should have made a cover or something, because children will tear the screens apart.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't believe this is an actual thing.

The form factor looks like a terrible photoshop or something.

Sweet lord I need to lie down.

Top Bottom