• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Zangeki no REGINLEIV (Wii), Last Window [Hotel Dusk 2] (DS)

Shiggy

Effect said:
If that is the case why wouldn't Tecmo fix these issues? That's the only thing I can think of if the situation wasn't resolved. Tecmo simply didn't want to fix the issues. Which makes no sense.

Nintendo did not want to pay Tecmo for fixing the game. Tecmo did not want to do it without being paid. That's why the European release of Zero: A Japanese Ghost Story was cancelled, although adverts had already arrived in magazines/shops.

TunaLover

Shiggy said:
Nintendo did not want to pay Tecmo for fixing the game. Tecmo did not want to do it without being paid. That's why the European release of Zero: A Japanese Ghost Story was cancelled, although adverts had already arrived in magazines/shops.

Didn´t know that, so the game probably could be Europe only? again? =/

Razien

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
List of M-rated Nintendo games, ever:
Perfect Dark
Eternal Darkness
Geist

... and Conker if you count that as Nintendo.

I mean, I'm not saying they WON'T publish an M-rated game, but they certainly don't focus on them.

Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct Gold
Jet Force Gemini
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Fatal Frame 4

and of course Conker counts; why wouldn't it. And I'm not even counting stuff like having the only uncensored BMX XXX or not censoring The Great Mighty Poo like Microsoft did.

Oh, and they are all awesome games. If this game turns out great, there is NO reason why not publish it here.

EDIT: PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME WITH MY HOTEL DUSK ISSUE!

TunaLover said:

European release cancelled - whatever happened between Nintendo and Tecmo over the game seems to be insurmountable, and the game isn't coming out anywhere but Japan.

TunaLover

Razien said:
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct Gold
Jet Force Gemini
Fatal Frame 4

and of course Conker counts; why wouldn't it. And I'm not even counting stuff like having the only uncensored BMX XXX or not censoring The Great Mighty Poo like Microsoft did.

Oh, and they are all awesome games. If this game turns out great, there is NO reason why not publish it here.

EDIT: PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME WITH MY HOTEL DUSK ISSUE!

MGS:TTS was published by Konami.

Shiggy

TunaLover said:

Nope, it's cancelled for these bug fixing reasons. The next Fatal Frame game will not be published by Nintendo (according to a reliable NeoGAF member).

Shiggy said:
Nope, it's cancelled for these bug fixing reasons. The next Fatal Frame game will not be published by Nintendo (according to a reliable NeoGAF member).

Likely won't be made by Grasshopper either.
I would have liked to played it, but seriously, Tecmo should have never allowed these bugs to pass in the first place, let alone refused to fix them.
=/

duckroll said:
Wow! A Nintendo announcement thread with GOOD NEWS relevant to my interests? World is ending! :eek:

Only your world is ending.
Head towards the light.

TunaLover

Cosmonaut X said:
European release cancelled - whatever happened between Nintendo and Tecmo over the game seems to be insurmountable, and the game isn't coming out anywhere but Japan.

Yes, I know it was cancelled =P, like I mean is the game being considered to an European release, while America getting the shaft again.

Shiggy

AceBandage said:
Likely won't be made by Grasshopper either.
I would have liked to played it, but seriously, Tecmo should have never allowed these bugs to pass in the first place, let alone refused to fix them.
=/

It wasn't only these bugs. It was also that the torch was not controlled with the IR but the motion sensors of the remote.

Cygnus X-1

duckroll said:
Wow! A Nintendo announcement thread with GOOD NEWS relevant to my interests? World is ending! :eek:

Useless if Nintendo does not support the announce with relative screenshots, trailers and informations.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Useless if Nintendo does not support the announce with relative screenshots, trailers and informations.

Not sure where Sinobi got the info, but the pics in the OP look like scans of retail flyers so perhaps this is more of a pre-announcement-announcement? In any case, now that the games are dated and due soon more info should be forthcoming.

TunaLover

Shiggy said:

Re-jumping to another platform?

Cosmonaut X said:
Not sure where Sinobi got the info, but the pics in the OP look like scans of retail flyers so perhaps this is more of a pre-announcement-announcement? In any case, now that the games are dated and due soon more info should be forthcoming.

Yeah, within a week, we'll probably have multiple trailers for both.
It's how Nintendo works.

Reggie! I know you're listening in... please bring the Hotel Dusk sequel to North America. If you do so, I will be your best friend. If not, I'm totally giving you a wedgy and stealing your milk money during recess.

duckroll

Cygnus X-1 said:

Not useless at all. I mean do you really need a trailer or anything for a sequel to Hotel Dusk? I know I'll be picking it up the moment it's released in English, I don't even need a screenshot. :lol

Razien

Banned
TunaLover said:
MGS:TTS was published by Konami.

Sorry, thought the EU and JP versions were published by Nintendo.

duckroll said:

Do you know Japanese? If you do and have a way to play Japanese Wii games, you probably had some good news from Nintendo for a while. Else, you shouldn't get excited yet.

Shiggy said:
It wasn't only these bugs. It was also that the torch was not controlled with the IR but the motion sensors of the remote.

And the system worked perfectly fine. There is no reason why not changing it should block the game's Western release.

Shiggy said:
Not necessarily. They could release Fatal Frame 5 with a different publisher on the Wii. That's all speculation however.

Given that it seemed to perform well enough on Japan despite the move from PS2 to Wii, I suppose it could go either way - stick with where it's had some reasonable success this gen, or move to a new platform at perhaps relatively low risk.

gogojira

While I'd love to see both of these localized, I'm not going to get excited until an official announcement from NoA happens. And as we all know, that may never happen.

This does make me want to go pick up a copy of Hotel Dusk, however.

duckroll

Razien said:
Do you know Japanese? If you do and have a way to play Japanese Wii games, you probably had some good news from Nintendo for a while. Else, you shouldn't get excited yet.

Hahaha. Funny. :p

duckroll

ethelred said:
Yay, a sequel to Hotel Dusk. Awesome. :eek:

I really, really, really hope NoA doesn't drop the ball on us this time. It would seriously piss me off. And if they do, I hope NoE picks up the slack. :eek:

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethel I told you Nintendo was bringing out the big guns on the Wii for Q1

On a serious note I really need to pick up Hotel Dusk. Can never seem to find it anywhere.

ethelred

duckroll said:
I really, really, really hope NoA doesn't drop the ball on us this time. It would seriously piss me off. And if they do, I hope NoE picks up the slack. :eek:

Yeah, I mean, I don't really give a fuck about NoA. They've proven themselves to be a horrid operation incapable of localizing or releasing games. It's NoE I'm counting on here, since they're the ones that allowed me to play Another Code R (which was totally great).

schuelma said:

Didn't my post even say that Dynamic Slash (which is this game) would be one of their Q1 releases? :lol Oh, it did.

Proven

Hotel Dusk sequel. Thank you GAF for bringing my cup of happiness today.

An EDF type game with online multiplayer though... Probably Gamefly fodder.

I think Nintendo wanted the camera control system overhauled for a western release as well (since it was completely terrible) but Tecmo didn't want to bother.

duckroll

ethelred said:
Didn't my post even say that Dynamic Slash (which is this game) would be one of their Q1 releases? :lol Oh, it did.

When do you expect Monado to be more formally announced and shown in detail?

Bluth54

Hotel Dusk is my favorite DS game, naturally the news of a sequel has made me very happy. Hopefully Nintendo of America or Nintendo of Europe will localize the game soon after its Japanese release.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
duckroll said:
When do you expect Monado to be more formally announced and shown in detail?

About a month before release, 2 page article in Famitsu on p. 243.

Day one for both. I echo the 'SANDLOT MOTHERFUCKERS' comment in particular. 4-player online mediEDFal action? Can I get a 'FUCK YEAH'?

Also, an Eighties return of Kyle Hyde sounds like the best news I've had all month. Maybe he can actually meet up with Morten Harket in this one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Razien said:
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct Gold
Jet Force Gemini
Fatal Frame 4

Teen
Teen
Teen
Published by Konami
Not published in the US

Excellent argument.

and of course Conker counts; why wouldn't it.

Because the publishing situation is odd, it was self-published by Rare because Nintendo did not want to publish it? If you want to count it, do, it only serves to illustrate that Nintendo does not like to publish M rated games.

And I'm not even counting stuff like having the only uncensored BMX XXX or not censoring The Great Mighty Poo like Microsoft did.

That's Nintendo the platform holder, not Nintendo the publisher. There's a difference between what you allow on your platform and what you choose to stamp your name on.

botticus

schuelma said:

On a serious note I really need to pick up Hotel Dusk. Can never seem to find it anywhere.
I seem to recall seeing the rerelease at Target often enough. I've pondered getting it, but never felt like shelling out the cash at the time.

Or find it on Amazon, for that matter.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Shiggy said:
So lemme get this straight.

Tecmo made a game with major bugs. And they wanted Nintendo to give them extra money to fix bugs that shouldn't have been there in the first place?

Fuckin Tecmo.

What I enjoyed about HD was that, during the course of the game, the storyline really developed. At first, I thought it was just about finding the girl's guardian and that everything would be happily ever after once you do, but it turned out to be much bigger, more complicated and darker than that.

Pennywise83 said:
What does Zangeki no REGINLEIV means?
12104orig.jpg

+
50974554gznBWG_fs.jpg

HD 2 came out of leftfield. HD is the best new Nin IP in recent memory (Starfox). Just reason #9,735,690 of why the Nintendo DS rocks.

duckroll

Htown said:
So lemme get this straight.

Tecmo made a game with major bugs. And they wanted Nintendo to give them extra money to fix bugs that shouldn't have been there in the first place?

Fuckin Tecmo.

No. That is an inaccurate representation of the development process. It's more like this:

1. Nintendo green lights production on a game, acting as the publisher, and hence paying for the development of the game.

2. Tecmo made a game in the time and with the money provided by Nintendo, and got a final master approved by Nintendo for release, ending their involvement with the project.

3. The game turns out to have major bugs. Consumers are pissed.

4. Nintendo does not want to pay any further for development on the project for international versions of the game, and is no longer involved in the publishing aspect outside of Japan.

5. The potential publishers overseas do not want to pay for the development time it would take to fix the bugs in the game.

6. Since no one is willing to pay for further development of the game, Tecmo cannot do anything. It is bad business to do work without getting paid.

Stumpokapow said:
That's Nintendo the platform holder, not Nintendo the publisher. There's a difference between what you allow on your platform and what you choose to stamp your name on.

Pretty much.

I think it's probably reasonable to say that Nintendo are not going to block anyone wanting to release more mature (in terms of rating systems, at least) content on their systems, but I think it's also fair to say that as a company it is not something they dabble in much, for whatever reason.

I do rather like the idea put forward in another thread that Nintendo should think about hiving off a new label specifically for more teen/mature-type content - much as Disney established Touchstone and went on to release movies like Down and Out in Beverly Hills, or Pretty Woman which (IMO) would have caused a storm for the company if they had been released under the Disney branding.

In an ideal world, they would do this and start aggressively courting third parties for titles to release under such a separate label, as well as dedicating some internal resources toward it.

Top Bottom