• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Zangeki no REGINLEIV (Wii), Last Window [Hotel Dusk 2] (DS)

TunaLover

Opiate said:
I wanted to comment on this, because I absolutely agree, and want to expound on this concept.

If I'm not mistaken -- and people who follow Nintendo more closely than I do might be able to correct me -- I'm fairly confident that Nintendo's approach to third parties before teh Wii launched was, "we need you to make the games we don't." That's why the American branch pushed so aggressively for GTA.

Nintendo actual internal development teams lack of proper expertise to deliver that kind of games, that's why we are seeing MH3 and DQX being team-up by Nintendo, FF4, even OtherM co-project with Team Ninja. I think HAL could deliver something in those lines with a proper budget, I'm not sure. Retro Studios is right on track. Sakurai new studio seems to be the only which could fill that hole in Japan IMO.

Guv_Bubbs

Banned
neo2046 said:
- sequel of Wishroom (Hotel Dusk Room 215)
o0210030010304765535.jpg
Oh shit that better come over

onipex

NintendosBooger said:
The problem is, Nintendo expects other developers to push the sort of software that Nintendo themselves traditionally do not sponsor or care for, and Nintendo should know better because it is through their own premiere titles that the final image of the system is set. Nintendo makes family-friendly game, third parties make family-friendly games; Nintendo creates casual titles, third parties create casual titles.

Microsoft’s ace in the hole is Halo. Always has been, because MS personally pushed it. Third parties followed suit, and the results are clear.

If Nintendo is serious about mature-rated games (and I don’t think they are) they need to set the example early and hard.

Why would a M rated nintendo title change things when third party devs only follow the family friendly examples and not the Zelda, MP3, or even Mario examples.

If they wont risk a zelda clone made for the wii then they wont follow up on a M rated first party game.

Effect

NintendosBooger said:
The problem is, Nintendo expects other developers to push the sort of software that Nintendo themselves traditionally do not sponsor or care for, and Nintendo should know better because it is through their own premiere titles that the final image of the system is set. Nintendo makes family-friendly game, third parties make family-friendly games; Nintendo creates casual titles, third parties create casual titles.

Microsoft’s ace in the hole is Halo. Always has been, because MS personally pushed it. Third parties followed suit, and the results are clear.

If Nintendo is serious about mature-rated games (and I don’t think they are) they need to set the example early and hard.

By that same idea we'd have more games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and Metroid Prime 3 on the system then. Nintendo pushed those games/franchises. Proved there is a huge market for them. True Nintendo had the brand name but the numbers they sold at showed developers and publishers there was clearly a market for those type of games. Yet nothing ever came of that.

We had a few attempts I think in the Zelda area with Rygar (wasn't really pushed at all by the publisher) and Dragonblade (which more funding a publisher that would have advertised it this I think could have been better and spawned a few franchise) but nothing after that.

We've had some FPS entries but wouldn't put them in the same basket as Metroid Prime 3 as that is more of a story based shooting adventure game and not a simple FPS. Red Steel 2 might be a contender since by account it's mainly a single player game the way the Prime series was.

Capcom and Sega seem to be fighting it out over the rail shooter area which made a come back. However I don't recall any other platformers going after the Mario Galaxy market/buyers. Nintendo has had to fill that themselves it seems in the end. Same for the Zelda market with a new Zelda game soon after no one else tried stepping up to the plate.

I would have thought Nintendo would have gotten the message after what happen with the N64 and the Cube in terms of third party developers. They can't depend on them unless they are willing to pay them to make games on their system the way Sony and Microsoft does. If not then they need to step themselves fairly often. If they have to create another studio to handle more violent games they really should. Retro Studios worked out great for them. Just make sure they have a decent budget to work with and actually advertise the game.

I assume Reginleiv is probably what Iwata had in mind when he said at the investor meeting that Nintendo can't really rely on third parties to fill the holes anymore.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ShockingAlberto said:
I assume Reginleiv is probably what Iwata had in mind when he said at the investor meeting that Nintendo can't really rely on third parties to fill the holes anymore.

Did he say that? I thought all he said was Nintendo had to re-evaluate their approach/relationship with 3rd parties or something like that.

ShockingAlberto said:

I'm not sure that this title will fill that void, though.
Still, I just hope it gets brought over.

Crewnh said:
I wonder what the HD sequel is about. What loose ends were left with HD? Just the thing about the kid's mom, right?
He never did, like, find his partner. He just kind of let it go when he realized he misunderstood.

That's kind of a common theme of Trace Memory/Hotel Dusk, actually. First game doesn't solve the whole mystery, just changes what you thought it was.

Effect

onipex said:
Why would a M rated nintendo title change things when third party devs only follow the family friendly examples and not the Zelda, MP3, or even Mario examples.

If they wont risk a zelda clone made for the wii then they wont follow up on a M rated first party game.

Just beat me to it. That's what I said. Nintendo have already push hard other examples such as Zelda, Metroid, and Mario yet nothing ever came from that. Battalion Wars is another example of a new style of play that was well done and no one ever said, "Hey that was good but we think we can do better". Haven't seen any Fire Emblem clones.

Where this idea of developers copying Nintendo might take place is the Nintendo DS but no such luck on the Wii.

ethelred

onipex said:

Mario is the definition of family friendly. Anyway, setting that aside, Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are not the games Nintendo has spent the most time, energy, cost, and effort promoting to the public, and, consequently, they are not the three games that have defined the Wii in the public's eye.

Effect said:
By that same idea we'd have more games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and Metroid Prime 3 on the system then. Nintendo pushed those games/franchises. Proved there is a huge market for them.

Nintendo didn't really push Metroid, and they have definitely not proven that there is any market for Metroid-type games on the Wii let alone a huge one. Or is that why Metroid Prime Trilogy debuted to five-digit sales in its launch month?

Effect said:
Battalion Wars is another example of a new style of play that was well done and no one ever said, "Hey that was good but we think we can do better". Haven't seen any Fire Emblem clones.

Battalion Wars bombed hard. Fire Emblem did well, but the series sells much better on handhelds. Much.

Hiltz

I think the two big genres Nintendo needs to generally focus on are FPS and RPG especially given the lack of them on all of their home consoles, including the Wii. I mean, its not like we can rely on the majority of third-party devs for these especially on the Wii except for Capcom and Square Enix.

Retro Studios seems to have enough talent to do any genre. Project Sora's purpose seems to be primarily working on original IPS while Monolith Soft's main expertise is with RPGS (of course there have not been any offered yet on the Wii). Perhaps it is time for Nintendo to acquire a western third-party dev with experience in FPS (Microsoft and Sony have their own exclusive big franchises, so why not Nintendo?) and turn it into an external first-party developer like what it has done in the past with Retro Studios.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hiltz said:
I think the two big genres Nintendo needs to generally focus on are FPS and RPG especially given the lack of them on all of their home consoles, including the Wii.

Nintendo is never going to successfully capture the FPS market with their online setup the way that it is.

RPG wise it is baffling how little support Nintendo has bestowed on the system and at how little effort it has apparently made to secure some third party published or developed games in the genre.

schuelma said:
RPG wise it is baffling how little support Nintendo has bestowed on the system and at how little effort it has apparently made to secure some third party published or developed games in the genre.

Dragon Quest X

Mdk7 said:
It's not dead, YAY!!!
Can't wait to hear more about it... too bad i feel it's gonna bomb hard. :(

All the more reason Nintendo needs to localize it, to try and make up for development costs.
:p

Hiltz

schuelma said:
Nintendo is never going to successfully capture the FPS market with their online setup the way that it is.

That's true. However, Nintendo doesn't need to capture the FPS market. I'd just like them to offer a damn good FPS period. The fact that it was Retro Studios who first demonstrated how impressive FPS controls work on Wii should have been enough for Nintendo of Japan to realize that they need to get someone to work on a big exclusive FPS for them. Activision's only done ports and Ubisoft's Red Steel franchise isn't a pure FPS especially given the primary focus on swordplay in the sequel. The only other third-part developer who has attempted to offer a good FPS on the Wii is High Voltage Software with The Conduit. As we all know, it turned out to be an underwhelming title that didn't live up to the hype (except for its controls and customization options). How sad is it that the only big upcoming FPS the Wii has coming is The Grinder (it has potential but one has to seriously question the developer's ability to make a game that's better than mediocre after the release of The Conduit).

What the hell is wrong with Nintendo and all of the other third-party publishers and developers not offering a big exclusive FPS ? The Conduit was just mediocre but was promoted well. Red Steel 1 sold very well but turned out to be a complete disappointment. COD: World at War is just a watered down port and COD: MW 2 while impressive in terms of its content, is still just a port ... and one with fugly graphics too. Besides, Activision doesn't have much room to blame Wii owners if Reflex bombs because not only did the game receive 0 marketing effort but it was completely overshadowed by the release of Modern Warfare 2. Besides, the game is 2 years too late even if it plays well.

Heck, the Wii even lacks a good amount of impressive third-person shooters, most of which are ports anyway. EA disappointed us all with Dead Space Extraction ( a game no one really wanted despite how good it looks and how well it plays but also received little to no marketing outside of online promotion). Then there's Capcom. It's just making many of us upset by offering yet another RE spin-off on-rail shooter. Capcom's rubbing salt in the wound when they know and we know just how freaking good RE 4 worked with Wii controls and they skipped out on RE 5 and we're probably not going to ever get a new and true RE title on the Wii ever. Oh yeah, but they'll pump out lazy remakes of the other GC RE titles.

schuelma said:
...which is so far off it doesn't even make much sense to bring it up

Tales of Graces?

I don't know, Nintendo doesn't really try to secure third party support. They're the opposite extreme of Microsoft.

I do so crave Hotel Dusk sequel I am planning on getting my mom a DS and my #1 choice for add-on game will be the original Hotel Dusk. (She loved the earlier King Quest, Space Quest, etc games)

malingenie said:
I do so crave Hotel Dusk sequel I am planning on getting my mom a DS and my #1 choice for add-on game will be the original Hotel Dusk. (She loved the earlier King Quest, Space Quest, etc games)

Errr, I'm not sure how her liking the old Sierra games translates into her liking Hotel Dusk...
I mean, first off, the Quest games are fairly free roaming. And they are on the opposite end of the serious scale from Hotel Dusk.

Apenheul

What a good day this is, I'm almost done with Another Code R (which is really good btw) and the next game gets announced!

GCX

grandjedi6 said:
fixed

Perfect Dark, like Conker, was also published by Rare.
Except Rare doesn't publish games.

Edit: wait what they actually really published Conker.. And PD too o_O

Stumpokapow said:
That's Nintendo the platform holder, not Nintendo the publisher. There's a difference between what you allow on your platform and what you choose to stamp your name on.
That's not entirely accurate. Nintendo still "stamps its name" on every game published on a Nintendo platform. All such games have to go through Nintendo certification. They just aren't funded by Nintendo. Publishing is active funding or distribution.

Akai

Razien said:
Holy fuck, and I worshiped Nintendo and Rare during the N64 days, when I should just worship Rare...

I'm pretty sure this was just to distance the Nintendo label away from M-rated games...It was still Nintendo's money that funded them...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chris Remo said:
That's not entirely accurate. Nintendo still "stamps its name" on every game published on a Nintendo platform. All such games have to go through Nintendo certification. They just aren't funded by Nintendo. Publishing is active funding or distribution.

Duh. My point is that just because Nintendo doesn't systematically prevent publishers from putting certain content on their systems doesn't mean Nintendo is going to release that content themselves.

People looking to whether Nintendo is going to publish this game domestically should be looking on Nintendo's publishing record in terms of content and positioning, not in terms of what games they've allowed other publishers to release.

onipex

ethelred said:
Mario is the definition of family friendly. Anyway, setting that aside, Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are not the games Nintendo has spent the most time, energy, cost, and effort promoting to the public, and, consequently, they are not the three games that have defined the Wii in the public's eye.

Nintendo didn't really push Metroid, and they have definitely not proven that there is any market for Metroid-type games on the Wii let alone a huge one. Or is that why Metroid Prime Trilogy debuted to five-digit sales in its launch month?

Nintendo spent most of there time marketing games to people that don't play games. How else would they get these people to play games? The game industry shows that it is to stupid to give these people quality software and just tries to cash is with loads of shovelware. This should not surprise anyone because it happens every generation.

Besides my point was that Nintendo has showed that there is a market for Zelda and Mario type games. Since third party devs did not go after that market they would not go after a M rated game market if Nintendo made that type of game. They didn't even follow up on their own games like Red Steel and RE4.

How does a console get defined anyway? The Wii is defined by Wii Sports even if there is/was a market for games like RE4. The 360 is defined by Halo ,but gets Mass Effect. What the hell defines the PS3?

I think the BS game media define the consoles and fanboys run with it. The Wii was called the casual console no matter what sold on it. The 360 was the FPS box and the PS3 was labeled the same. The truth is that there is a wide variety of software for each console and the top selling games for a console do not define it.

neo2046

someone (an insider who has gone to the retailer conference today) has posted some details about Last Window [Hotel Dusk 2]
but I am ready to sleep now
who can do the favor to translate some of the main points ?
goodnight :)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1257954107/913n-919
(from the Nintendo thread at 2ch)

914 :熱血店員 ◆iXFBURNINg :2009/11/13(金) 04:43:44 ID:wxz2y5l70
◆DS『ラストウィンドウ ~真夜中の約束~』(任天堂)
※こちらのレポートは、すべて私が直接調べた、あるいは担当者の方の
発言からまとめておりますことを予め申し上げておきます。
また、開発中のROMでプレイしているため、製品版と内容が異なる場合も
ございますことと、私自身の勘違いや間違いもあるかもしれませんので、
その点は予めご了承いただきたいと思います。

・2010年1月14日発売/4800円(税込)/アドベンチャー
・CERO:B(前作『ウィッシュルーム ~天使の記憶~』はCERO:A)
・『ウィッシュルーム ~天使の記憶~』の正統続編で、ホテル・ダスクの出来事から
 一年後の1980年、ロサンゼルスにある取り壊しを前にした「ケイプウェスト・アパートメント」
 が舞台になっており、ここで全く繋がりのない"二つの過去"が実は結びついていた、
 という物語になっているようです。
・開発はもちろんCINGが担当し、あの鉛筆画のような独特のグラフィックも踏襲しています。

915 :熱血店員 ◆iXFBURNINg :2009/11/13(金) 04:44:44 ID:wxz2y5l70
・主役はもちろん、女子供にも本気で怒る容赦の無さと笑顔が魅力の我らがカイル・ハイド氏。
 鏡を前にして「なかなかの男前だ」と独り言を呟いたりするナルシストな部分も健在。
 ちなみに今作はカイルの"過去"が色々と分かるようですので、カイルファンの方(私含む)には
 まさに要注目で必見な作品でもあります。
・セーブ枠は3つあり、小説「ラストウィンドウ」(後述)も、そのセーブ枠ごとに管理されます。
・なんと前作に続き振動機能!にも対応していますが、振動パックを持っていて、尚且つ、
 振動パックが対応しているDSでしか意味がありませんので、その点はご注意ください。
・前作をプレイしていましたら、序盤からニヤリとする要素が多々ありますが、今作の
 話的には前作と完全に独立していますので、前作未プレイの方にも安心です。
 もちろん、前作をプレイしておけば、さらに楽しめることは言うまでもありません。
・BGMは新規っぽかったですが、謎をクリアしたときや気が付いたときなどのSE群は
 前作と全く同じで、久しぶりにこれらのSEを聞いて私は懐かしさがマッハになりました。

916 :熱血店員 ◆iXFBURNINg :2009/11/13(金) 04:47:08 ID:wxz2y5l70
・DSを縦に持ち、タッチペンを使って移動・探索し、登場人物の悩みや謎などを解決する
 という、ゲームの流れや基本的なシステムは前作から変わっていません。
 ただし、前作で声の多かった不満点を解消しているそうですので、序盤をプレイした
 だけでも以下のような細かい部分の改良が目立ちました。
→前作では相手の会話について、ほとんど「突っ込む」でゲームが進みましたが、今回は
 「突っ込む」以外にも「聞き流す」を上手く使って会話を行わないとゲームオーバーになって
 しまうことも多いようです。
 尚、この「突っ込む」「聞き流す」のシーンでは、新たにチェックポイントが付いていて、
 ゲーム画面的にも分かりやすいカンジに変わっていました。

917 :熱血店員 ◆iXFBURNINg :2009/11/13(金) 04:48:18 ID:wxz2y5l70
→会話中の重要な"キーワード"のスクロールが前作より格段に早くなっていました。
 (相手の会話中から抜き出される[?]キーワード[?]のスクロール)
→メッセージ送りが多少早くなっていたような気がしました。
→前作では電話が鳴っているときやドアをノックされたときなど、電話やドアの前まで
 行ってから電話を取ったり、ドアを開けたりしていましたが、今作では、その部屋内に
 いれば該当のボタンをタッチするだけで、それらのアクションを実行することができます。

918 :熱血店員 ◆iXFBURNINg :2009/11/13(金) 04:49:24 ID:wxz2y5l70
・今作での大きなウリが、ゲームを進めていくことで完成していく小説「ラストウィンドウ」の
 存在で、これはゲーム本編でのカイルの足取りが、本編とは異なる"小説"という形式で
 保存され、それを自由に読み返すことができるというシステムです。
 ゲーム本編では知ることのできない細やかな情景描写や、カイルのその時々での心情、
 アパートの住人にクローズアップした様々な物語など、本編とはまた違った"新たな視点"
 でストーリーを楽しむことができます。
 もちろん、小説「ラストウィンドウ」はゲーム中の選択肢などにも影響し、内容が変化
 しますので、「小説の全パターンを探す」などという遊び方もできるでしょう。
 ちなみに、この小説に挟まれるしおりの絵は、前作の「扉を開ける天使」だったりします。
・小説「ラストウィンドウ」は、ゲーム本編のチャプターと同じ数の章構成となっていて、
 各章の最後には「袋とじ」があり、本編でどうしても行き詰まったときには、この「袋とじ」
 を開封して読むことにより攻略のヒントにすることもできます。
 ただ、この袋とじを一度も開封せずにクリアすると…?

919 :熱血店員 ◆iXFBURNINg :2009/11/13(金) 04:50:40 ID:wxz2y5l70
―以上が『ラストウィンドウ ~真夜中の約束~』のレポートとなりますが、全体的な所見としては、
とりあえず、前作『ウィッシュルーム ~天使の記憶~』をプレイしておもしろかった方は、絶対に
買いの一本なのは確定的に明らかなのですが、前作をプレイされていない方にも、このテの
ミステリー系アドベンチャーが好きな方なら私から激しくオススメさせていただきます。
また、上のレポートなどでちょっとでも興味を持たれた方は、前作は今現在1000円前後ほどと
安価で購入できますので、発売前の年末年始休みにカカッとプレイされてみては如何でしょうか?
(ある意味、今前作をプレイする方が、続編が直ぐに出ますので勝組のような気がします。苦笑)

ちなみに『ウィッシュルーム ~天使の記憶~』は、サブタイ含めたタイトル名自体が、作品
内容を現していましたが、今作『ラストウィンドウ ~真夜中の約束~』も、導入部を見る限り、
前作同様、タイトルに深い意味があると感じましたね(最後の窓的な意味で)

Top Bottom