• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Zangeki no REGINLEIV (Wii), Last Window [Hotel Dusk 2] (DS)

duckroll said:
CERO D doesn't really mean anything on its own. You can't convert a rating directly. The game might be bloody, but it's also fantasy. You're fighting monsters of huge sizes and stuff. There's nothing realistic about it.

I'm going off past experience with the PEGI ratings and the content their ratings cover, for example:

7 rating:
These games are the same as Early Childhood ratings but may include content descriptors like mild violence and in a rare case, very mild action violence. Suitable only for persons of 7 years of age and older and similar to the Everyone (high end) and the Everyone 10+ rating (low end) ratings in the ESRB and BBFC's PG rating.

12 rating:
Suitable only for persons of over ages 12 and older. This rating contains mild action violence or suggestive themes and mildly suggestive song lyrics. Similar to the ESRB's Teen (low end) and Everyone 10+ (high end) ratings and BBFC's 12 rating.

16 rating:
This rating is suitable only for persons of 16 years of age or older. Some situations include strong action violence, mild references to gambling, and rude humor, which makes this rating similar to the Teen (high end) and the Mature (low end) ratings from the ESRB and the 15 rating from BBFC.

18 rating:
This rating is suitable only for persons 18 years of age and older, and is similar to the ESRB's Adults Only and Mature (high end) ratings and BBFC's 18 rating. Graphic violence, strong sexual content, explicit references to gambling, and vulgar language (spoken and used in song lyrics) are permitted.

I don't think something like ZnoR is going to hit an 18 rating, but I think it would be lucky to squeak in at the high end of a 12.

duckroll

Cosmonaut X said:
I'm going off past experience with the PEGI ratings and the content their ratings cover, for example:

I don't think something like ZnoR is going to hit an 18 rating, but I think it would be lucky to squeak in at the high end of a 12.

Like I said, 15+ or 16+ sounds about right. I just don't expect this to be an 18+ game.

Man the graphics in that vid look like a huge step up from what Sandlot has done before. Is Nintendo backing this game? At the very least they've had a longer dev time than normal but it also seems like they have a much larger budget. As cool as this game looks to me it's just a tease of what the next EDF will look like:D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I will be so incredibly pissed if Last Window never hits the states. It would just be totally fucking criminal.

GWX said:
Looking good. Hopefully they can fix the framerate, thought.

They already said that the framerate issues were a feature.
Seriously...

Anyway, really hope this is localized.
Now for footage of Cosmic Walker...

duckroll

AceBandage said:
They already said that the framerate issues were a feature.
Seriously...

I don't think they ever said that. Maybe you misunderstood that from someone describing the game in general, and explaining that Sandlot has taken the framerate drops into consideration for the controls. It's not a feature, it's just that Sandlot games all have terrible slowdown because they're not interested in optimization but in putting as many things on screen as possible just for the fun of it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
neo2046 said:
Last Window -Mayonaka no Yakusoku- (DS)
- Nintendo, CING
- Release Date: Jan 14, 2010
- sequel of Wishroom (Hotel Dusk Room 215)
- Story is located at 1980's Los Angeles

TAKE ON ME AS MAIN THEME or be gone with you, Cing!

Day one.

TreIII

duckroll said:
I don't think they ever said that. Maybe you misunderstood that from someone describing the game in general, and explaining that Sandlot has taken the framerate drops into consideration for the controls. It's not a feature, it's just that Sandlot games all have terrible slowdown because they're not interested in optimization but in putting as many things on screen as possible just for the fun of it.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took Sandlot this long to do such a thing. :lol

I mean, as long as slow-down is going to be a part of your game, you might as well find a way to work it into the mix! Maybe those moments of 5-10 frame slowdowns will be made into something actually epic, as opposed to the "unintentional" way they've been in EDF2 and R.A.D. :D

1UP has info on Zangeki, something's screwy here:

1UP said:
A few quick things to know about Zangeki no Reginleiv, a new Wii title Nintendo is putting out February 11 in Japan:

- It supports Wii Motion Plus, one of the few straight-on action games to do so as of right now.

- It's developed by Sandlot -- the folks behind Earth Defense Force 2017, arguably the strangest (and, yet, strangely addictive) title in the Xbox 360's library.

- The story, heavily influenced by Norse mythology, paints Asgard gods Freyr and Freya cooperating with mortals in their war against a race of giants attacking a village to the north -- the first skirmish in what will ultimately escalate into Ragnarok itself.

- The game's basically a rail shooter -- or rail sword-slasher, you could say. Point the Wiimote at the screen and slash (i.e. draw lines) to attack. The game's on the bloody side, and Freyr can hack arms and legs off enemies.

- Freyr is best with melee weapons while Freya is more of a sorceress. Between the two characters, you can wield over 300 different weapons, from swords and bows to warhammers and javelins.

- Given that this is Sandlot making the game, Reginleiv has a lot of huge enemies -- including a frost giant that towers 90 feet into the air. Yipes.

That's impossible, it has 4-player online co-op, you can't have that if it's on-rails... can you?

Are these from Famitsu? Can anyone re-translate the info themselves to clarify?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Hero of Legend said:

That's impossible, it has 4-player online co-op, you can't have that if it's on-rails... can you?

If you take a look at the teaser video, the character can strafe left and right, so even if it's on-rails, you can still move around somewhat.

[EDIT] Also, there's a radar in the top right-hand corner of the HUD, indicating that your character can turn to see what's going on behind her. I really don't see how this can be on-rails. I'm picturing something along the lines of Link's Crossbow Training (the stages where Link can move around freely, that is).

It might be a 'rail slasher' in the way that Sin and Punishment 2 is a 'rail shooter' (i.e. you're pushed forward, but you have complete freedom of movement around the screen).

Laguna

Banned
Hero of Legend said:

It´s 1Up and you know how biased about Wii they are. they are just spouting negativ nonsense like always.

kinggroin

Banned
Laguna said:
It´s 1Up and you know how biased about Wii they are. they are just spouting negativ nonsense like always.

How is anything they said about this game, negative? Maybe they're off on their facts, but certainly they're not out to get the Wii.

EDarkness

Hero of Legend said:

Damn, with Wii games, there always seems to be something....sheesh. I hope that's really not the case. I was expecting a free roaming hack and slash game, but if it's not even close, then definitely no buy. Gonna look around for more information to clear this up.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hero of Legend said:

The revival of on-rails is the best thing the Wii has ever done.

TreIII

Kilrogg said:
Also, there's a radar in the top right-hand corner of the HUD, indicating that your character can turn to see what's going on behind him/her. I really don't see how this can be on-rails.

Exactly. This game looks to be pretty much a sequel to EDF in everything but the scenario and official name.

Dunno where 1up is getting their assumptions from.

Then there's this. The OLD video from back in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QzH8kp9V7I

I see nothing there that suggests on-rails.

duckroll

1up is dumb. That is all. Maybe they didn't notice the infobox in Famitsu which states the game also supports the classic controller. :p

Sipowicz

Banned
kinggroin said:
How is anything they said about this game, negative? Maybe they're off on their facts, but certainly they're not out to get the Wii.

they proper jizzed themselves when they thought that the mickey mouse game was going multiplatform, "because they took the wii logo off". they put up a news story and everything

i'd take kotaku or ign over them and that's saying something

kinggroin

Banned
Sipowicz said:
they proper jizzed themselves when they thought that the mickey mouse game was going multiplatform, "because they took the wii logo off". they put up a news story and everything

i'd take kotaku or ign over them and that's saying something

They also gave WiiMusic an 9/A

IGN gave NSMBs an 8

Kotaku does something fucked up everyday

*shrugs

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
kinggroin said:
They also gave WiiMusic an 9/A

IGN gave NSMBs an 8

Kotaku does something fucked up everyday

*shrugs

Hey guys, 1up is not one person, many people write articles and do reviews on the site.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sprsk said:
Hey guys, 1up is not one person, many people write articles and do reviews on the site.

Don't listen to this guy, he's a company man.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Wonder who's doing the music.

Sandlot contracted Takada for EDF and that robot game for the DS. So.... maybe again?:D

TreIII

sprsk said:

Sorry, man. But if IGN is not immune to being judged as a whole, based on the actions of a few of its parts, than 1up ain't either.

In short, you need to get your people, like Gifford. They're not doing you or any one else any favors when they do stuff like this.

duckroll

Surgeon Rocket said:
Wonder who's doing the music.

Sandlot contracted Takada for EDF and that robot game for the DS. So.... maybe again?:D

Afaik, Sandlot has no internal sound team. Grasshopper should be handling the sound design for this game as well.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
TreIII said:
Sorry, man. But if IGN is not immune to being judged as a whole, based on the actions of a few of its parts, than 1up ain't either.

In short, you need to get your people, like Gifford. They're not doing you or any one else any favors when they do stuff like this.

This makes no sense.

So your point is that you're dumb, too?

Really?

MidnightScott said:
Last Window better come to the US. I don't want to wait for another fan-translation patch -_-;

The original did fairly well in NA, including being made into a Touch Generations game.

TreIII

sprsk said:
This makes no sense.

How does it not? A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Likewise, the integrity of a supposed "source of information", like 1up, Kotaku, etc., can be just as easily undermined, by an author who runs with misinformation, and yet his/her article gets published nonetheless.

The actions of those types still does a lot to reflect badly on even the likes of you, who might actually be trying to do the "right thing." Because whether you like it or not, you're still associated with them.

On rails?!?!?!
darth_vader_nooooooo.gif

So.... Any chance Reginleiv is getting localized? I've got a Play Asia coupon that expires at the end of the month, and if there's no news I'm importing.

bdouble

TelemachusD said:
So.... Any chance Reginleiv is getting localized? I've got a Play Asia coupon that expires at the end of the month, and if there's no news I'm importing.
They won't announce localization if there is any by the end of the month. It will be at a media event or E3.

Yeah maybe the Hong Kong Post won't be stuck in hell via airmail. I ordered Fatal Frame 4 and it shipped on November 27th and I still haven't received it -_-;

bdouble said:
They won't announce localization if there is any by the end of the month. It will be at a media event or E3.

E3 or bust really, they announced Span Smasher, Line Attack Heroes, and Glory of Heracles to be localized there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AceBandage said:
The original did fairly well in NA, including being made into a Touch Generations game.

NoA has done dumber things.

Top Bottom