• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting consumers to remember Nintendo's Golden Era before they drop the NX. Smart way to rehabilitate their brand along w/ Pokemon Go.

So from the press release:

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System comes packaged with an HDMI cable, a USB cable for powering the system*, and one Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller.

At the bottom:

*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.

Huh? Why not?

So what are the chances this thing has Wii guts inside and is just running Wii Virtual Console games behind a custom frontend? The Wii classic controller ports make me think this might be the case. I would be perfectly ok with that as long as it also upscales nicely.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Would be up for this if it featured NES/Famicom hardware and could take carts. RGB modded Twin Famicom staying on the desk for now!

This is surprising. Overpriced by at least $20, though.

How do you arrive at this conclusion? It's like a greatest of NES list of games, that go for $5 on the virtual console. Just the 3 super mario games, Metroid, Zelda 1 and 2, Punchout and Ninja Gaiden set you back $40 on the VC, and I'm sure many people into the NES would be interested in those titles at the very least.

Dryk

If those NES controller are USB, I am in for those.

e: wtf is up with those ports on the NES? Nintendo nooooo did you seriously make it proprietary
The the ports from the Wii Remote so you can use any Classic Controller with it

It depends on the game, $5 is probably fine for Zelda or SMB3, but it's insane for something like DKJr or Urban Champion. Sticking with Wii VC universal pricepoints was definitely a mistake this gen though and hopefully something they break with for NX and start doing a range of values.

Well, credit where it's due: the existence of this does show that they're willing to significantly undercut VC software pricing, which hopefully bodes well for a more sensible pricing model on NX.

Peltz

Let's hope this is better than the similar Sega Genesis games on a chip type consoles we've seen in the past.

Yukinari

The only downside of this device is the lack of Blaster Master. Replace Ice Climbers with Blaster Master or even Ducktales and it would be perfection.

Galang

Banned
What the fuck! This is awesome!!! Don't see how anyone can say this is overpriced at all either. These same games would cost you way more on the eshop + you get the system + controller + cool box. Coolest thing Nintendo has done in a while; didn't think I'd want this... But I do.

Kaervas

Banned
Does anyone know if the Final Fantasy version is like the original one with spells per day or like the remakes with mana?

1upmuffin

Great idea to release something at Black Friday time that doesn't require a Wii U.

This looks like a cool device, I'll probably get one, even though I have a bunch of these games.

Plum

Let's hope this is better than the similar Sega Genesis games on a chip type consoles we've seen in the past.

Should be. Nintendo may release crap games every now and again but they've never released anything explicitly broken like Sega has. I can imagine a lot of QC is going into this.

oti

Banned
So my list to Santa just got longer:

1. Harry Potter und die Kammer des Schreckens Illustrierte Edition
2. NESmini

Phoenixus

Any guesses for when preorders start? Want to secure mine nice and early.

Edit: I'll be legit jealous if Japan get a famicom version.

Junahu

It feels a little limited without a means of expanding its preloaded library. I think it could have been a wonderful series of VC capable consoles, getting people to engage with their digital shop to accumulate My Nintendo coins and expose themselves to advertising for other Nintendo devices.

But they've already got their slimy little hooks in me with the promise of a legitimate means of buying NES Final Fantasy I.

Absolutely need this in my life. I illegaly emulated so many of those featured games that I owe it to myself and Nintendo to buy it.

Having a mini NES is pretty cool as well. :)

big_erk

Wut? They're set to release a new console in March...

What this really seems like is a smart attempt to plug the hole in their fall lineup. Outside of Pokemon, they have next to nothing to sell at Christmas this year. I could see this being a pretty popular gift this Christmas season.

Bootleg devices sell a crapload themselves. An official device with 30 good to great to classic games will sell a shitload.

KingBroly

Banned
Can the NES Classic Controller be used directly with Wii U vc games, or does it only work plugged into a wiimote?

Considering the port, you'd have to use a Wiimote.

I'm disappointed by no Zapper Controller w/ Duck Hunt. Probably can't happen, though, due to emulation and TV issues

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yup, this is totally bought. Nintendo should have done this sooner, even with all the Virtual Console stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom