• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms live-stream for Iwata GDC keynote

Fernando Rocker said:
Nintendo Wii HD™

Believe.

Not a new console... just another version of the Wii with the capability of rendering the games in HD (like the Dolphin emulator).

Why would you want that?

I want a more advanced Wiimote at very least. Just better graphics is a foregone conclusion.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Why would you want that?

I want a more advanced Wiimote at very least. Just better graphics is a foregone conclusion.

Well... we already have a Wii Remote with built-in Motion+.

Plus, the Wii HD would be just to give the system a second momentum just until the real successor is announced.

Fernando Rocker said:
Well... we already have a Wii Remote with built-in Motion+.

Plus, the Wii HD would be just to give the system a second momentum just until the real successor is announced.

If they announce anything, it will be the next home console, the successor to the Wii. They won't an HD thing.

And while people like to laugh at it, but the WhatTheyPlay piece saying that a new Nintendo console will launch by 2011 is still a good story that seems to be right.

John Davison has a proven track record of knowing shit, and his piece back from 08 mentioned that he had talked to developers who had actually seen the new console, and talked about how it was a large leap in terms of visuals (therefore it is not the 3DS as some people like to point out).

Articalys

Cross-posting from the speculation thread because it's an awesome picture:

77osS.png

FoneBone

I'm expecting more details on the eStore, hopefully including additional platform announcements beyond GB/GBC (GBA, Virtual Boy, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color), and some game announcements or release lists for 3DSware.

Fernando Rocker said:

Every time I see this picture it just becomes even funnier to me, what with the bob-omb wearing those old 3D glasses and now there being the 3DS with glassless 3D. But why is it even wearing 3D glasses?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Vinterbird said:
If they announce anything, it will be the next home console, the successor to the Wii. They won't an HD thing.

And while people like to laugh at it, but the WhatTheyPlay piece saying that a new Nintendo console will launch by 2011 is still a good story that seems to be right.

John Davison has a proven track record of knowing shit, and his piece back from 08 mentioned that he had talked to developers who had actually seen the new console, and talked about how it was a large leap in terms of visuals (therefore it is not the 3DS as some people like to point out).

Do you have a link to this story? My interest is piqued, although I still say E3 announcement and Spring 2012 release.

FoneBone said:
I'm expecting more details on the eStore, hopefully including additional platform announcements beyond GB/GBC (GBA, Virtual Boy, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color), and some game announcements or release lists for 3DSware.
The 3DS ought to be able to handle SNES and Genesis without even breaking a sweat too, yes? I imagine the controls ought to be fine for either of those. Did you omit those because you think Nintendo will want to fully segregate their respective ROM stores? If so, I find that possible, maybe even plausible, but I'd like to think they'd be nicer than that.

FoneBone

badcrumble said:
The 3DS ought to be able to handle SNES and Genesis without even breaking a sweat too, yes? I imagine the controls ought to be fine for either of those. Did you omit those because you think Nintendo will want to fully segregate their respective ROM stores? If so, I find that possible, maybe even plausible, but I'd like to think they'd be nicer than that.
I'm not optimistic about consoles showing up on 3DS. But I'm not sure I want them to, unless they put up the entire Wii VC library off the bat (not betting on it). The release trickle will just get more frustrating the more platforms they add.

FoneBone

Vinterbird said:

a. Even if the article's true, plans can change in 3 years
b. All available evidence (Nintendo's own development roster, lack of word from third parties) pretty much rules out a 2011 release
c. They're not announcing shit in the way of new hardware until after the worldwide 3DS launch

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
When is the keynote again for EST timezone?

Also, Skyward Sword epic trailer please! Not something like the E3 trailer(which kinda sucked compared to the Twilight Princess trailers we got)

But i wouldn't be surprised if he only talks about the 3DS. Not at all.

FoneBone said:
I'm not optimistic about consoles showing up on 3DS. But I'm not sure I want them to, unless they put up the entire Wii VC library off the bat (not betting on it). The release trickle will just get more frustrating the more platforms they add.
That's true, if they go through slowly re-releasing everything from the Wii VC library it'll significantly slow down the release of other things that haven't shown up in either spot. Fair enough, that's a pretty good reason and I hadn't thought of that at all.

Vinterbird said:

So once we get in to say, May of 2011, and no one is saying "We got fucking devkits this thing is absolutely real" like every other system including the 3DS exactly one year ago, will people quit quoting this piece as if it were concrete information of something?

As far as we know, it was about the 3DS.

apana

Dedication Through Light said:
I guess the next big thing is so big that they even have to bring it to their loyal twitter followers live. I wonder what details of the Wii successor we shall receive.

Wii succesor coming soon in 2015!

apana said:
Wii succesor coming soon in 2015!

Mr. Pachter is the only one I seemed to envision that the next gen would be in 2015...no way the Wii successor can be that late; within 1.5 yrs is the perfect time for it, I think. Its gonna be silly having Super Mario Galaxy 3 or 4 on the Wii...

Wait, that means the conf is happening at 3am for me. I don't know if that's necessarily worth it the same way E3 is. I mean even if Skyward Sword is life-changing, it's still likely to just be a trailer I can watch in the morning.

FoneBone

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Wait, that means the conf is happening at 3am for me. I don't know if that's necessarily worth it the same way E3 is.
It won't be. No megatons (such as they may be) until E3.

Azure J

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Every time I see this picture it just becomes even funnier to me, what with the bob-omb wearing those old 3D glasses and now there being the 3DS with glassless 3D. But why is it even wearing 3D glasses?

ItWasMeantToBe19
(Today, 02:16 PM)
Reply | Quote

DarkWish

I guess the next big thing is so big that they even have to bring it to their loyal twitter followers live. I wonder what details of the Wii successor we shall receive.
Oh, you're back. Anyways, the most we'll hear about the Wii successor is that they'll tell us our first details at E3.

Maybe they will announce a Netflix 3D app... this event seems to be perfect for this kind of announcement.

I just read this. (Thanks to Go Nintendo and Andriasang).

Yomiuri asked about Nintendo's plans for video downloads. "The 3DS will be the first 3D video playback device to reach major penetration," said Iwata. "We've had many proposals from the film, music and such industries. We're looking into distributing Hollywood trailers and movies, along with things like 3D reference software."

Link.

Is that interview thread worthy? I can't make threads (Junior Member) but if you guys think this is thread worthy, make the thread and give me credit!

Nintendo's console teams have to be working on something. The only thing we know of right now is Zelda, isn't it?

I wonder if Iwata will mention that or if anyone will ask him.

Boney

Banned
Mr. Pachter is the only one I seemed to envision that the next gen would be in 2015...no way the Wii successor can be that late; within 1.5 yrs is the perfect time for it, I think. Its gonna be silly having Super Mario Galaxy 3 or 4 on the Wii...
teehee

FoneBone

Fernando Rocker said:
Maybe they will announce a Netflix 3D app... this event seems to be perfect for this kind of announcement.

Link.

Is that interview thread worthy? I can't make threads (Junior Member) but if you guys think this is thread worthy, make the thread and give me credit!
Oh yeah, I forgot. Video content is something else they have yet to go into in detail (especially for the US), so I'm expecting word on that in addition to eStore details.

Fernando Rocker said:

It's almost a year old unless I'm missing something. Edit: wait, no it's not, I'm just stupid and can't read dates very well, especially when they appear to be in the future.

But it seems to me they've gone quiet about the 3D Movie deals they were talking about at E3, I think it will be strictly limited to trailers and short films, especially with their concerns about young children viewing the screen and the need to take regular breaks.

Graphics Horse said:
It's almost a year old unless I'm missing something. Edit: wait, no it's not, I'm just stupid and can't read dates very well, especially when they appear to be in the future.

But it seems to me they've gone quiet about the 3D Movie deals they were talking about at E3, I think it will be strictly limited to trailers and short films, especially with their concerns about young children viewing the screen and the need to take regular breaks.

It's from a few days ago:

It seems that Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata is doing the rounds with the mainstream Japanese business press. Following an interview at Asahi (read a summary here), Yomiuri Online has posted bits from an interview that was conducted by the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper on the 26th.

Pyrokai

Fernando Rocker said:

Link.

I'm concerned about his last statement. Makes me feel like we won't see a new console for a long time :(

Iwata, I know Bill is sitting next to you (hey Bill!) translating all those comments, and I'll let you know, if you don't announce Xenoblade tomorrow lives will not be spared.

This is my last warning.

Sammy Samusu said:
Iwata, I know Bill is sitting next to you (hey Bill!) translating all those comments, and I'll let you know, if you don't announce Xenoblade tomorrow lives will not be spared.

This is my last warning.

I dont see how Xenoblade fits in with the topic of focus...

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata will draw from his development roots and talk not only about how video gaming has evolved, but also, more importantly, he will offer his views on where we go from here

Bit-Bit

Gentlemen, start your hype engines. Iwata will surely have a trailer of the latest build of Skyward Sword. It's Zelda's 25th anniversary for god sake. Also, a surprise release date, in APRIL!!!! Happy Birthday to me!

Top Bottom