• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms live-stream for Iwata GDC keynote

Instro

neptunes said:
His frustration with Apple seems a bit misguided. Apple is simply providing an avenue for developers to distribute their software. They're not making the games themselves.

Im pretty sure that was his point, because they are not game makers themselves, they dont care what stuff ends up on their service.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ze20s.png

So close yet so far.

jman2050

neptunes said:
His frustration with Apple seems a bit misguided. Apple is simply providing an avenue for developers to distribute their software. They're not making the games themselves.

That's the point. Fostering an environment with no quality control to speak of and little regulation sounds like a developer's dream in theory, but from a business perspective it just completely screws with the value proposition of the industry as a whole.

Sealda

Banned
Kinda awesome speech. Nintendo taking on the crown of video games. They are basically holding a lecture about video games as if they were video games itself!

Bizzyb

Banned
Forkball said:
Iwata: "Holy shit Apple is selling games for a fucking dollar. Sony, Microsoft, we gotta get our shit together and deliver some actual fucking games or we will be poor and homeless."

Not quite, it's more like he doesn't want people to devalue videogames. Playing free and and cheap throw-away games (all the time) may give people the notion that videogames, in general, have little to no value and therefore they would not be interested in seeking gaming anywhere else, especially if it meant they had to actually pay or pay more for it. This would eventually hurt Nintendo, Microsoft, SOny, and ALL the publishers and developers of the industry

Also, developers and publishers cannot survive in this kind of ecosystem. Where is the big pay off? many people aren't going to buy your $5+ game if they can just get a cheaper/free knock-off version. Where is your revenue now? It will eventually become an unhealthy and unsustainable environment

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
neptunes said:

That's why his speech was specifically addressed to developers no?

a lot of people fail to realized this wasn't for the media. the Netflix, Mario, Zelda stuff was pretty much for those who wanted to see some new shit. but the rest was directed at the immediate audience: the developers.

great speech. great quotes.

Bizzyb said:
Not quite, it's more like he doesn't want people to devalue videogames. Playing free and and cheap throw-away games may give people the notion that videogames in general have no value and therefore they would not be interested in seeking gaming anywhere else, especially if it meant they had to actually pay and pay more for it

Also, developers and publishers cannot survive in this kind of ecosystem. Where is the big pay off? many people aren't going to buy your $5+ game if they can just get a cheaper/fre knock off version. Where is your revenue now? It will eventually become an unhealthy and unsustainable environment

He's saying "Please buy our $40 games instead of $1-10 games for iOS or Android. We won't make as much money if you do. K, thx bye."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I foresee two reactions to this speech:

1) Big-name developer who makes big money on simple rehashes/roster updates: "Screw you."

2) Smaller developers who care about the quality of their work/getting their name on the map: "Thank you."

Teknoman

Why would you do that? said:
They showed an official Zelda 25th Anniversary logo. Plus, I'm pretty sure he said they're actually doing something.

Said "something that all Zelda players will be able to enjoy" or along the lines of that.

4 swords download with online multiplayer?

onipex

Painraze said:
"Please don't give away games for free, we need to be able to keep reselling our games year after year."

Well, free games are resold.

I love hearing Iwata talk. Netflix on 3DS , Zelda Anniversary title, and what looks like Mario 3 in 3D were great bombs to drop.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Why no GBA games on the 3DS's virtual console?, WHY?, I just don't get it, the 3DS should be able to play GBA games almost natively no?

ARGHHHHHHHHHH....

Cygnus X-1

jman2050 said:
That's the point. Fostering an environment with no quality control to speak of and little regulation sounds like a developer's dream in theory, but from a business perspective it just completely screws with the value proposition of the industry as a whole.

I cannot but agree with him. Taking the direction of creating small-apps, low content oriented games sooner or later will bore the audience, which, after the initial satisfaction, will start searching for something will more valuable content. And if there isn't, the industry could collapse on itself.

This could in turn produce a viudeogame crash similar to the one happened in 1983. Never forget it guys!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GodfatherX said:
every time I see Skyward Sword I get less hyped, life long zelda fan :(

I'm the exact opposite--that trailer did it for me. I loved it.

As for my Zelda tastes, LTTP is the best game ever. I didn't like Twilight Princess at all but loved Wind Waker.

Clott

Why does the new Zelda look so blurry?

I hope it's just the low quality trailer.

It just looks so...soft. My biggest worry is that they have toned down the difficulty even more, I didn't see link fighting lots of enemies at the same time, that could be because of the limitation of how responsive waggle controls can be, with simple buttons it's easier to have faster reactions. Seems like the game has been made in accordance with that.

Feep said:
Bullshit, Iwata had his hands on a Nintendo 3DS and the gaming press was quite excited when the Mario stuff was shown.

Bingo.

There weren't demo units on hand for everybody to try out like at previous events, which is what that tile was referring to. Also, I didn't hear much applause or excitement over anything, but of course, I wasn't there.

Does anyone have a link to the June date for OOT? OOT in June.

EDIT: PR issued.

Bizzyb

Banned
Synth_floyd said:
He's saying "Please buy our $40 games instead of $1-10 games for iOS or Android. We won't make as much money if you do. K, thx bye."

No shit, but like I just updated my point with, this would eventually hurt everyone, and not just Nintendo. Dude, pay attention to the message. Not the messenger.

dude

dude
What's with the all the bitching about Zelda? The game looks amazing...
I mean, it's seems a little old in terms of gameplay, but the graphics are beautiful and I'm sure the new controls will be featured in some awesome puzzles.

Plinko

I was glad to see them admit their failure with the WiiWare/VC/DSiWare services. Those have been handled horribly. I'm hoping they turn it around in that area but they haven't really given much of an example that they know how to do it.

Nintendo-4Life said:
a few things:

A) Link's sword is waaay too short.

B) Is that a magic bar i'm seeing?

Anyway the game looks pretty spectacular IMO.
It doesn't appear to be the Master Sword. The Ordon Sword in TP was shorter too.

Amalthea

Banned
Nintendo-4Life said:
a few things:

A) Link's sword is waaay too short.

B) Is that a magic bar i'm seeing?

Anyway the game looks pretty spectacular IMO.

That bar seems to be next to a shield icon.
Could be for the shield. Maybe it breaks after taking to many hits.

Synth_floyd said:
This speech was directed at developers not consumers. He was saying that switching over to downloadable iOS or Android games is too risky and not nearly as profitable as games for actual game consoles.

Bizzyb

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Why no GBA games on the 3DS's virtual console?, WHY?, I just don't get it, the 3DS should be able to play GBA games almost natively no?

ARGHHHHHHHHHH....

seems pretty apparent that they are coming down the road. I see no reason why they couldn't do simple GBA emulation given they have successfully emulated 4 other systems

Ellis Kim

Banned
Instro said:
Im pretty sure that was his point, because they are not game makers themselves, they dont care what stuff ends up on their service.
Exactly.

jman2050 said:
I think its also worth mentioning that while from a distance, it seems Sony is trying to edge into the smart phone app scene, the reality is that the Playstation Suite is still a curated environment, unlike the larger smart phone app marketplace.

Sealda said:
Kinda awesome speech. Nintendo taking on the crown of video games. They are basically holding a lecture about video games as if they were video games itself!
What Iwata talked about briefly regarding the volumetric nature of the smartphone app game dev scene, and what Reggie hinted at as a talking point a month ago, is a concern that's been rumbling around for years now. Nintendo, with a new platform launch, is taking the initiative to say that future projections of what Apple is doing will have a hugely detrimental effect on not only their business model, but for most of the traditional gaming industry. I'm willing to extrapolate that what he means is the danger of setting precedent and mindset amongst youth that free, or freemium, is the norm, which is not a model that Nintendo has adopted to any degree.

This is mostly Nintendo protecting themselves, and creating an almost "us-versus-them" rift, even if that's not their real intention.

neptunes

jman2050 said:
Uhh Apple DOES have a quality control. (if it just WORKS and falls within apple's guidelines)

When a developers submits an APP for approval and it functions as its intended (while meeting Apple's guidelines) then they should have no problem releasing it on the APP store.
The only difference between the two is the cost of acquiring an SDK license.

A Free SDK + $99 a year vs. +$1000's for a debug + units having a legit business + submitting your proof of concept to Nintendo beforehand.

Big One said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv0eFTpT8no

Low quality trailer up on youtube

Go to :17 second mark, looks like Link has a bell.

Thanks for this. I'm very excited about the direction Skyward Sword is taking. Each enemy in the trailer looks like it it had to be approached differently since they all have their own weaknesses that Wii Motion Plus can take advantage of. Puzzle-solving and exploration looks just as varied too.

Bizzyb said:
No shit, but like I just updated my point with, this would eventually hurt everyone, and not just Nintendo. Dude, pay attention to the message. Not the messenger.

He's saying cheap games devalue the industry, so everyone should buy expensive games. And wow what a coincidence, Nintendo sells expensive games. The message and messenger are one and the same. What proof is he offering to that statement that cheap games are bad for the industry? None, he's just trying to protect the bottom line of his company which is completely natural but intellectually disingenuous.

Teknoman

lowrider007 said:

ARGHHHHHHHHHH....

It'll be updated eventually. Remember, the Wii VC didnt have all the categories it has today from the start.

jman2050

neptunes said:
Uhh Apple DOES have a quality control. (if it just WORKS and falls within apple's guidelines)

Like I said, no quality control

When a developers submits an for approval and the app functions as its intended (and meets Apple's guidelines) then they should have no problem. It akin to getting angry at a home computer or any other open platform. The only difference between the two is the cost of acquiring an SDK license.

A Free SDK + $99 a year vs. +$1000's for a debug + units having a legit business + submitting your proof of concept to Nintendo beforehand.

No the difference is positioning yourself against hundreds of other $40 games in a retail environment vs positioning yourself against tens of thousands of $.99 games in a digital environment where about a hundred or so of those games actually receive any significant advertising exposure.

The app store environment is very good for smaller devs, that much is true. Not so much for larger devs except as a supplement to their existing business.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
bizzyb said:
Not quite, it's more like he doesn't want people to devalue videogames. Playing free and and cheap throw-away games may give people the notion that videogames in general have no value and therefore they would not be interested in seeking gaming anywhere else, especially if it meant they had to actually pay and pay more for it

Also, developers and publishers cannot survive in this kind of ecosystem. Where is the big pay off? many people aren't going to buy your $5+ game if they can just get a cheaper/fre knock off version. Where is your revenue now? It will eventually become an unhealthy and unsustainable environment

It's funny, in the early 2000's, Iwata was also concerned about the viability of the gaming industry, with developers all gungho on the latest platforms without seriously considering the rising costs of game development. I think it's fair to say that he was right; the industry is arguably less resilient now than a decade ago.

Now it's the opposite end of the spectrum that he's cautioning people against. Will the vast majority listen? Probably not, when the speech goes in one ear and out the other. But I hope some will.

It strikes me that Iwata is genuinely concerned with the long-term sustainability of the gaming industry, not just because he has to look out for Nintendo (obviously that's a big part) but rather that he is one of the very few that has the ability to think long-term based on his own experience of being a "generalist". He knows what's involved at all levels of development and has the ability to grasp the big picture. That's something very few people can claim to have. I think the gaming industry needs more individuals and leaders in that mold.

Synth_floyd said:
He's saying cheap games devalue the industry, so everyone should buy expensive games. And wow what a coincidence, Nintendo sells expensive games. The message and messenger are one and the same. What proof is he offering to that statement that cheap games are bad for the industry? None, he's just trying to protect the bottom line of his company which is completely natural but intellectually disingenuous.

I think the point is that the ecosystem on dedicated gaming systems will be healthier in the long run for developers. I guess you can interpret that to mean "cheap games devalue the industry" or "cheap games are bad for the industry" from the statement if you want to but there is a pretty big difference between your inference and the text.

Top Bottom