• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms live-stream for Iwata GDC keynote

Deku

Banned
BorkBork said:
It strikes me that Iwata is genuinely concerned with the long-term sustainability of the gaming industry, not just because he has to look out for Nintendo (obviously that's a big part) but rather that he is one of the very few that has the ability to think long-term based on his own experience of being a "generalist". He knows what's involved at all levels of development and has the ability to grasp the big picture. That's something very few people can claim to have. I think the gaming industry needs more individuals and leaders in that mold.

What is in Nintendo's interest is in the interest of their two main competitors as well.

I see the XBLA model as sustainable, but not the apps store model.

When the retort on GAF is "oh dur scurred by these $1 underpriced games" the mocking tend to underly some truth.

You have garage devs with almost no overhead unpricing their crap to win what is essentially a loterry. That in the long tern is unsustainable.

Capcom is not going to survive selling $5 Street Fighter V on smartphone ecosystems without basically shutting down all their main studios and hiring a bunch of college kids to program for them.

The real bone I have with i0S boosters isn't that they are disingenous in their arguments, I think they have a good grasp of the facts, it's that they have no concept of what a business model is.

They vaguely know about pricing and cheaper is better. And oh, Apple's record profits this quarter!

rpmurphy

Synth_floyd said:
He's saying cheap games devalue the industry, so everyone should buy expensive games. And wow what a coincidence, Nintendo sells expensive games. The message and messenger are one and the same. What proof is he offering to that statement that cheap games are bad for the industry? None, he's just trying to protect the bottom line of his company which is completely natural but intellectually disingenuous.
How is it good for existing developers? Having already be constrained by current cost, time, and manpower constraints, what is the benefit of shrinking those dramatically?

jman2050

Deku said:
They vaguely know about pricing and cheaper is better. And oh, Apple's record profits this quarter!

The kicker is that pointing out how much money Apple makes from the app store is completely missing the point.

Hint: Apple is not part of the games industry.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Starwolf_UK said:
Because Iwata talked about more than just 3DS. Putting a Reggie face there tohugh is all fair play.
Well I win half a bing then. Still shocked that he didn't mention Brain Training. That was a guarantee before.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo's (almost) complete lack of focus on the Wii furthers my belief that a new console is announced at E3.

Plinko said:
Nintendo's (almost) complete lack of focus on the Wii furthers my belief that a new console is announced at E3.
Coming when? I doubt Nintendo launches two new platforms in the same year. My guess is next E3 they announce their new console. This year is their focus on 3DS.

Christine

Shalashaska said:
Coming when? I doubt Nintendo launches two new platforms in the same year. My guess is next E3 they announce their new console. This year is their focus on 3DS.

I think that most people who expect an announcement this E3 are thinking of something along the lines of the E3 '05 "Revolution" announcement.

mclem

Green Scar said:
OMG Phantom Ganon fight will be so awesome on 3DS

I wonder if the pictures will have depth, or if the boss will be 2D until he 'breaks through'. I could see either looking awesome.

TwinIonEngines said:
I think that most people who expect an announcement this E3 are thinking of something along the lines of the E3 '05 "Revolution" announcement.
Yeah I guess that could be the case. I don't see it though, I think they'll be really focused on the 3DS. Maybe at TGS but my guess is next year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Shalashaska said:

2012 anywhere from Spring to Fall.

With Sony and MS's recent comments about not putting out a new console any time soon Nintendo has a shot to have a nice headstart with a much more powerful machine. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see it happen that soon.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
CNN now breaking in to report on Apple conference. Nothing on Nintendo.

*grrrrr*

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Deku said:
What is in Nintendo's interest is in the interest of their two main competitors as well.

I see the XBLA model as sustainable, but not the apps store model.

When the retort on GAF is "oh dur scurred by these $1 underpriced games" the mocking tend to underly some truth.

You have garage devs with almost no overhead unpricing their crap to win what is essentially a loterry. That in the long tern is unsustainable.

Capcom is not going to survive selling $5 Street Fighter V on smartphone ecosystems without basically shutting down all their main studios and hiring a bunch of college kids to program for them.

The real bone I have with i0S boosters isn't that they are disingenous in their arguments, I think they have a good grasp of the facts, it's that they have no concept of what a business model is.

I think your first point is definitely a big part of why he was so complementary of games on other systems; he's not just being nice. It shores up support for his argument in a pretty effective fashion.

I agree with you; there definitely needs to be a balance in pricing. Where that balance is is debatable. IMO, the HD $60 blockbuster model is unsustainable, just as the Free/$0.99 app store model is unsustainable (as business models). Sure in both business models, a few will make it and reap the rewards, but for each one of those, there are a lot of horrible failures. What's frustrating for some of us self-admitted armchair analysts is that people don't see it or refuse to see just how myopic jumping on the latest trend can potentially be, and that's why it's refreshing to see a leader from that industry specifically address these concerns.

PSGames

EvilMario said:
3DS OOT looks superior to Skyward Sword's soft, lifeless style. Am sad.

It really does. I'm pleasantly surprised with OOT graphics and disappointed with SS. Strange when one is a port and the other is a from the ground up new game.

Seeing NOA get a bollocking from Iwata about their abuse of Kirby was the single best thing about the conference.

YES! (now we know that Iwata forced NOA to dump the angry eyebrows for Kirby Superstar Ultra and Kirby's Epic Yarn!)

sfried

Nuclear Muffin said:
Seeing NOA get a bollocking from Iwata about their abuse of Kirby was the single best thing about the conference.

YES! (now we know that Iwata forced NOA to dump the angry eyebrows for Kirby Superstar Ultra and Kirby's Epic Yarn!)
Iwata really knows how to call the shots. To think the President of Nintendo would troll his own company (even complementing MS & Sony)? It's crazy!

Ellis Kim

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:

A few years back, when the whole "What the fuck, why does Kirby have angry eyes in american box art" started burgeoning on various forums, I went and sent a customer service complaint on the NoA website about it. I got a reply saying that this was the first they heard about the complaint, and would be looking into it.

I like to believe that I contributed to the greater cause :p

Teknoman

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Just woke up, can someone give me a bullet point summary since the OP isn't one of those "updated with new news" ones?

• Super Mario 3D is coming, logo has a raccoon tail similar to SMB3 logo
  • Ocarina of Time 3D is releases in June
  • Very short Skyward Sword trailer displaying a few gameplay segments (wait for HQ extended trailer
  • Iwata talked about focusing on better digital distribution methods for the future, and how Wii/DSi distribution could've been better
  • Explained to developers why Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles sold so much more than others, regardless of third party quality, and how third parties could achieve the same results
  • Commented on the state of the industry in general, and that devs should focus more on the quality of content rather than the quantity.
  • 3DS supports Netflix
  • Many ATT wi-fi hotspots opening for 3DS connectivity and content
  • Reconfirmed other systems for the 3DS VC (Game gear and TG16) as well as 3D classics

antonz

There is another nintendo event starting here any minute that will be live blooged by a few sites. Titled Development Process of the Nintendo 3DS

The nintendo that go site has a liveblog etc

Cygnus X-1

antonz said:
There is another nintendo event starting here any minute that will be live blooged by a few sites. Titled Development Process of the Nintendo 3DS

The nintendo that go site has a liveblog etc

Thanks for the information.

Top Bottom