• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no live E3 presentation this year

ZeoVGM

Banned
I disagree. I think it's fair to say that live presentations, calls, conferences are a standard across a wide array of industries, including this one, for good reason.

There is absolutely zero proof that one is better than the other, yet we do know that Nintendo's Directs have been very successful for them.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Guys, Nintendo has possibly the greatest marketing department in the world. You just have to trust them.

Lucreto

I like the Directs and this year they need to show more to make the Switch worth the purchase.

Hopefully they do it early on Monday since Microsoft and EA don't have their regular slots instead of Tuesday.

Who have yet to announce their E3 presentation? Sony and Ubisoft I think and hopefully Square Enix this year as well.

Expected, but don't really mind as I won't be at E3 anyway. At least we don't have to deal with the fake cheering for every little announcement.

I like the Directs and this year they need to show more to make the Switch worth the purchase.

Hopefully they do it early on Monday since Microsoft and EA don't have their regular slots instead of Tuesday.

Who have yet to announce their E3 presentation? Sony and Ubisoft I think and hopefully Square Enix this year as well.

Sony, Ubisoft and Nintendo haven't. EA, MS and Bethesda have. Not sure if Square will have one.

NahaNago

YAY! YES! HOORAY! AWESOME!

giphy.gif

Instro

There is absolutely zero proof that one is better than the other, yet we do know that Nintendo's Directs have been very successful for them.

Well live video game streaming replacing "let's play" style videos is one area to look at as proof. I don't agree that their directs have been successful for them.

KingBroly

Banned
Part of me expects it to be really disappointing, showing nothing new and only what's been announced so far, and nothing past Xenoblade 2/Mario Odyssey.

Laieon

That's a shame. I enjoy press conferences more than the directs.

The only direct I've really been impressed by was maybe the first one (whatever one had the robot chicken skits).

At the end of the day though, as long as they announce good games I don't really care.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well live video game streaming replacing "let's play" style videos is one area to look at as proof.

I have no idea how that's related to whether or not a digital event or press conference is the better choice for Nintendo.

I don't agree that their directs have been successful for them.

Alternative facts?

If they weren't successful for them, they would have dropped them a long time ago. They didn't. Because they are successful for them.

I mean, not everyone has to like them but whether or not Directs have been successful for Nintendo isn't really an argument to be had.

How about a direct conference? So a conference where they play a direct in front of fans? That why when excitement rises you can hear it. Obviously the audience would be muted during trailers.

tiijj

Yet somehow they all simultaneously had a brain hemorrhage when they named the Wii U

The Wii U name was so "great" and ahead of it's time that people were not able to comprehend its greatness. lSo not a lot of people bought it lol

Expected, but don't really mind as I won't be at E3 anyway. At least we don't have to deal with the fake cheering for every little announcement.

At least we will have an optional youtube fake reaction videos for people who miss fake cheering.

How can some people think that a pre recorded format is better than live is beyond me :|

They can do more weird stuff with a pre-recorded. Like the switch presentation. It has some pre-recorded parts in it. Remember the weird ice cube part.

Instro

I have no idea how that's related to whether or not a digital event or press conference is the better choice for Nintendo.

It's a recorded event vs a live one, I feel like that correlates very well to this discussion as it's within the same industry, and operates under the same principles of a direct vs a live conference

Alternative facts?

If they weren't successful for them, they would have dropped them a long time ago. They didn't. Because they are successful for them.

I mean, not everyone has to like them but whether or not Directs have been successful for Nintendo isn't really an argument to be had.

I feel like there are several issues with this.

1. Directs didn't help the WiiU or 3DS.
2. It was dropped for the Switch reveal.
3. Every other company has continued to do live events.
4. We have no metrics proving their success, why isn't this an argument to be had?
5. Suggesting that they must be successful because Nintendo continues to do them doesn't seem like strong point. If that's the case, we can explain away all of Nintendo's odd practices that they hang on to.

The Giant

Banned
This is the 5th E3 that Nintendo is going for the Digital Event + Treehouse Live combo and gaffers here are still too dumb to realise to understand that a live conference isn't the only way to deliver news to the public.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's a recorded event vs a live one, I feel like that correlates very well to this discussion as it's within the same industry, and operates under the same principles of a direct vs a live conference.

It doesn't. It's not remotely the same thing.

This is an event to announce new products. Both press conferences and Nintendo's direct get plenty of attention. I would rather them do a press conference at E3 for the audience reaction but the fact is that it doesn't matter in the end as the Directs are successful.

Nanashrew

Banned
It's a recorded event vs a live one, I feel like that correlates very well to this discussion as it's within the same industry, and operates under the same principles of a direct vs a live conference

4. We have no metrics proving their success, why isn't this an argument to be had?
5. Suggesting that they must be successful because Nintendo continues to do them doesn't seem like strong point. If that's the case, we can explain away all of Nintendo's odd practices that they hang on to.

Well MS dominated social media in 2016 but I don't think their sales have been any better. https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/react-e3-2016-social-data-live-blog/

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild dominated conversation across social media when going by games only.

Nintendo dominated social media in 2014 mainly because of a strong line-up and a new fresh IP (Splatoon). But their sales also didn't improve that much either.

Still important information for companies to have. Reach doesn't not always guarantee sales regardless if it's a live conference or pre-recorded as going by MS and Nintendo. However, in context, MS and Nintendo both have some unappealing products compared to the PS4. But now Nintendo has the Switch, which is showing to be more attractive than the Wii U ever was.

And Directs I do believe have had more impact on 3DS. 3DS was more appealing, it was cheaper, had Nintendo first party and lots of Japanese 3rd party. There were more Directs for 3DS than there were for the Wii U, because more devs were making stuff for 3DS. People would tune in to see what's on the horizon. Nintendo can also release news at their whim throughout the year thanks to Nintendo Direct, so that's another reason why many will tune in and and journos will report it on their sites.

Even if journos are reporting things from the Nintendo Direct, and people are choosing to read that over watching the Direct, it's still doing it's job to get information about the games just the same if a journo watched E3 and reported the information about a live conference.

3DS also got revisions too which also boosted sales of the system. 3DS was doing really well for itself despite the fumbling in the first year.

Majine

Banned
This is the 5th E3 that Nintendo is going for the Digital Event + Treehouse Live combo and gaffers here are still too dumb to realise to understand that a live conference isn't the only way to deliver news to the public.

Some people only care about getting that news, and that's fair, but I'm one of those freaks who thinks the packaging of news is interesting as well, and a live presentation is infinitely more fun that a pre-recorded video.

Shahadan

We will miss the crowd losing their shit when they announce a new Metroid.

Well if attendees were old enough to remember Metroid

Plum

If we have no metrics proving their success (which isn't true), how can you definitely state that they "didn't help the Wii U or 3DS"? Your only evidence for such a claim is that the Wii U failed which isn't exactly compelling.

E-phonk

Banned
A long direct + treehouse sessions and a Nintendo tournament where they announce some surprise multiplayer/co-op titles (*) out of the blue for the epic crowd reactions.

That formula was the best they ever did imo, and they should repeat it.

(for example: One random new ip, pokken & smash bros switch, while pushing splatoon 2, and Arms and introduce a new Mario Kart stage that will be part of a DLC they announce the day after)

BlackAlbatross

Neo Member
Directs always seem so sterile and "cold" to me.
I still remember many of the live conferences I watched (even the boring ones), but I really can't recall almost any moments from the Directs/Digital Events.

Yoshi88

Disappointing.

E3 conferences are one of the only times video games get mentioned on german mainstream media. Guess Nintendo doesn't want the publicity.

This is just not true, i honestly don't know what mainstream outlets you're referring to.

pswii60

I love the Sony and MS press conferences, but Nintendo's conference's were always cringey and dull, so I agree they're better off doing the Directs. I think the other two should stick to the conferences though.

ramparter

Banned
I dont think ive enjoyed a digital event since 2014.

2013 was underwhelming and 2015 was a joke.
I think it has to do with the content though. I expect some good stuff this year. Also hopefully Nintendo executives will make appearances on the treehouse event.

Top Bottom