• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo could be gearing up to announce new Hardware

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm up for a TV only console, I don't even use mine a hardware and basically the only times I've undock it is when packing for moving and desyncing controllers.

If they give us a TV only switch with at least more of current Switch SoC actual power or it's full CPU and GPU clocks unlocked, I'll be happy.

Filben

I've learned over the years to never say never after Sony released some of their catalogue on PC where everyone was saying "not gonna happen".

But this being Nintendo we're speaking of... let's just say highly unlikely.

Kumomeme

there is speculation that the reason why they pull the OLED Switch video is due to song copyright license.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Is there like a special where, if you fill your Switch Pro "rumors" card, you get a free sandwich at Subway?

VNdkE40.png

Actually, this is based off of Nintendo financial report(so its oficial information), which states that they bought more than what they usually do in raw materials, which are used to fabricate hardware.

Its all on the OP.
I don't think we've ever used raw material data from investor reports to speculate on hardware announcements before, and also Nintendo explained in their Q&A why it appeared so high, and some of it is accounting-related. Also, doesn't it seem awfully soon for another hardware revision, when we just got one in October? I really don't think we're getting another Switch model this year.

I would think special themed models for big titles and/or bundles, or even their first official price cut would all be in the cards. We're even far enough into Switch's cycle where Player's Choice/ Nintendo Selects would be on the cards for older software. But I really doubt there's another model before next year. It'd be more likely they would trim out the OG Switch, and replace it with the OLED, and give the OLED a price drop to match the $299.99.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I don't think we've ever used raw material data from investor reports to speculate on hardware announcements before, and also Nintendo explained in their Q&A why it appeared so high, and some of it is accounting-related. Also, doesn't it seem awfully soon for another hardware revision, when we just got one in October? I really don't think we're getting another Switch model this year.

I would think special themed models for big titles and/or bundles, or even their first official price cut would all be in the cards. We're even far enough into Switch's cycle where Player's Choice/ Nintendo Selects would be on the cards for older software. But I really doubt there's another model before next year. It'd be more likely they would trim out the OG Switch, and replace it with the OLED, and give the OLED a price drop to match the $299.99.
I never expected a revision. The case I'm making for is a Switch 2/10th gen system that Nintendo *could* be releasing next year, as 2023 would be the Switch's 7th year in the market.

About Furukawa's answer: It's not like they would say "Oh yeah, we are gearing up for a new gen, but don't tell anyone as we are not ready!". Obviously this doesn't mean that Nintendo will for sure launch the Switch 2 next year, but even if the accounting changed, and Nintendo is trying to protect itself against shortages and inflation, that's still a shitton of material for a system that is slowing down in sakes(even if the sales numbers are still really elevated).

Again, this is obviously not a garantee of an imminent 10th gen system announcement, but given how old the Switch is, and these kind of information, smoke seems to be in sight on the horizon.

Codes 208

People really got clowned by the OLED again? You cannot make this shit up.
I mean tbf, idk why people keep reading between the lines whenever nintendo does something that even barely suggests a new model.

Like remember when people got mad at them for not announcing a new system during e3 after they explicitly said they werent going to? (Though they did announce the switch lite like two months after that, but they were still right about e3)
Fun times.

Banned
it is time to slowly get ready for the PR campaign of their next console.

the Switch 2 is around the corner for sure. but I expect it to release in late 2023 or early 2024

Lady Jane

Banned
All my Switch games are going to have to be backwards compatible/downloadable for me to be interested. I'm not re-buying new versions of the same games when we're enjoying the current Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., and Mario Party just fine.

Last edited:
I never expected a revision. The case I'm making for is a Switch 2/10th gen system that Nintendo *could* be releasing next year, as 2023 would be the Switch's 7th year in the market.

About Furukawa's answer: It's not like they would say "Oh yeah, we are gearing up for a new gen, but don't tell anyone as we are not ready!". Obviously this doesn't mean that Nintendo will for sure launch the Switch 2 next year, but even if the accounting changed, and Nintendo is trying to protect itself against shortages and inflation, that's still a shitton of material for a system that is slowing down in sakes(even if the sales numbers are still really elevated).

Again, this is obviously not a garantee of an imminent 10th gen system announcement, but given how old the Switch is, and these kind of information, smoke seems to be in sight on the horizon.
Yeah, i'm as excited as the rest of y'all for a new platform. I love my Switch but it's getting old. If a successor is more than two years off, I would absolutely buy a a spec-upgraded revision, to hold me over. I passed on the OLED because everything was cosmetic, it didn't seem worth all the money.

jaysius

Banned
We need to start doing stupid avatar bets for awful speculative "prediction" clickbait tweets. It'd be hilarious, people would be changing their avatars every other day.

Rykan

All my Switch games are going to have to be backwards compatible/downloadable for me to be interested. I'm not re-buying new versions of the same games when we're enjoying the current Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., and Mario Party just fine.
I think that is a fair expectation. Nintendo is typically pretty decent in that regard, most systems are at least BC with the console that came before it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Nintendo has a known cycle to release every 6 years.
Wii was omega successful, they still released the wii u 6 years later.
Same with Sony.
They released ps3 despite ps2 being sony's best selling console ever.

I see Nintendo Switch as a phoenix, It is undoubtedly one of the best Nintendo consoles, It can even last longer....

Unlike Sony's many dumb decisions to launch the PS5 prematurely, even the Nintendo Switch still has a good life despite its years on the market.

This is Nintendo! Be prepared to be disappointed... unless you are in the market for a non-replaceable, stick-drifting OLED Switch Lite.

Rykan

I see Nintendo Switch as a phoenix, It is undoubtedly one of the best Nintendo consoles, It can even last longer....

Unlike Sony's many dumb decisions to launch the PS5 prematurely, even the Nintendo Switch still has a good life despite its years on the market.
How was the PS5 launched prematurely ?

Tams

1. I love Splatoon.
2. I'll be buying this.
3. Nintendo are masters at trolling without intending it. Well, it's rather people like OP are excellent at trolling themselves.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s a tribal belief system around Nintendo about having fun keeping people smiling and hanging out in that’s better than powerful hardware, cool games and that is what makes a lot of Nintendo fans annoying. Games like god of war and horizon just have emotions like fear, facing bosses that just aren’t on Nintendo consoles.

There’s a tribal belief system around Nintendo about having fun keeping people smiling and hanging out in that’s better than powerful hardware, cool games and that is what makes a lot of Nintendo fans annoying. Games like god of war and horizon just have emotions like fear, facing bosses that just aren’t on Nintendo consoles.

Clearly you've never played Majoras Mask or Metroid Dread, then.

The rumor is not dead

That would be AMAZING if true.
This re-skined switch is coming out in August. If Nintendo RELEASES a Switch pro THIS YEAR, wouldn’t that make the owners of the Splatoon OLED pissed? that also means the announcement is coming by September at the latest.

If it was a Zelda themed Switch I’d probably get it but I’d still be mad If they released a better Switch within a couple months of my purchase.

Draugoth

Gold Member
That would be AMAZING if true.
This re-skined switch is coming out in August. If Nintendo RELEASES a Switch pro THIS YEAR, wouldn’t that make the owners of the Splatoon OLED pissed? that also means the announcement is coming by September at the latest.

If it was a Zelda themed Switch I’d probably get it but I’d still be mad If they released a better Switch within a couple months of my purchase.

That's why they wont announce it before this one's release.

Please not yet.

Nintendo switch is too awesome
Bro the switch hardware is weak enough where it is affecting games performance and graphics to a huge degree, not just in the way of some missing bells and whistles. Even Nintendo's own games like Xenoblade 2 makes it seem like you've got cataracts... Some look great like Wee gee 3 tho.

We need a new switch yesterday. I do not want Metroid prime 4 to look like soup 😕

Last edited:
Top Bottom