• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo/DeNA "currently making announcement plans" for their first mobile game

DJIzana

So, a Nintendo Direct happening soon now to announce this and other stuff as well? It's been a while since E3 and actual last Direct -With Iwata still hosting :'(-

That's what I was wondering too... hmmm.. might be too early though. Maybe September...

Roto13

I'm excited! DeNA makes Final Fantasy: The Record Keeper and it's arguably the best mobile game I've ever played. Been playing it non-stop for months now.

It was the best free to play game I'd played, anyway, until it got stupid. Stamina costs got too high. Too much reliance on random drops and gacha stuff. Bosses that you needed to use a guide for to avoid wasting half a day's worth of stamina on because you couldn't possibly be prepared without setting the exact right party members, equipment, and abilities. No room for versatility. These problems got a lot more pronounced as the game went on.

This is why I'm kind of nervous about this Nintendo/DeNA partnership.

Vena

Animal Crossing, possibly even making use of NFC readers for the cards, would be my guess. Unless they really go out of their way to be surprising.

JoeM86

Definitely Mario or Pokemon, they have the widest reach.

It's definitely not Pokémon. Pokémon apps are done separately from Nintendo (The Pokémon Company) and have been a thing since 2011.

Fun fact, until the DeNA announcement, whenever a Pokémon app was announced/released, there was always articles about Nintendo's first smartphone game and if Nintendo was going smartphone.

KingBroly

Banned
When are they announcing the next iPhone?

Because I'm 99.9% sure it'll be at that Conference. Miyamoto and Bill Trinen on stage. Timed exclusive.

Pandy

tumblr_lk3cdrioYl1qjpza4o1_400.gif
Pretty much been this since the initial DeNA partnership announcement.

This could go really well or really badly, and either of those scenarios could have positive or negative impacts on core Nintendo games in the long term. It will be good to see the first game and actually have something to base some conjecture on. :)

That's what I was wondering too... hmmm.. might be too early though. Maybe September...

Although, if they stream one this week they can make the call that it's "less than a month till the release of Super Mario Maker" to start the marketing campaign hype.

What if they show their confidence by bringing an entirely new IP to the mobile fold.

It'd still get the mainstream exposure as Nintendo's first title.
Seems unlikely to me. Nintendo wants their IPs to get exposure to a large audience, making a new IP seems counter productive in that way. I'm sure DeNA and investors would likely not be too pleased either. At least not for their first title
Thank god for that .1% because it's much larger than that. It's really unlikely to happen.
While I dont' think it'll be 99% sure to happen, being shown off on Apple's press conference would be huge for both parties.

Tadaima

Because I'm 99.9% sure it'll be at that Conference. Miyamoto and Bill Trinen on stage. Timed exclusive.

This is about as likely to happen as Apple announcing their new iPhone in the next Nintendo Direct.

AdanVC

Holy shiit if that happens... An instant hit for sure. Or it could be the opposite like when U2 announced their new album there and it got worse when they announced their album will download for free and automatically on every single iOS user on earth while everyone got pissed for that hah.

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball 2 here we go.
Europe has saved us from that happening:
http://bitparade.co.uk/article.php?id=3682
That article is primarily about the Mii plaza sales bunny but in investigating why the author hit the nail on the head and figured out Rusty is a no-go.

I'm excited! DeNA makes Final Fantasy: The Record Keeper and it's arguably the best mobile game I've ever played. Been playing it non-stop for months now.
It has a fair share of issues which are fundamental to the platform. Especially the gacha system. The 3* rares have a lot of same relm same weapon type (for example there are five 3* FFXII staffs) in order to make those hard to combine and also to make you want those 5*s a lot more and you know how you get more 5*? By spending an outrageous $30 on an 11-pull (then you'll get 11 3* items or something).

There is one shining hope though. Nintendo is not planning on going whale hunting if their last Q&A was anything to go by.

I wonder if Animal Crossing : Happy home designer might be getting a mobile version.

It has to be mario, Animal crossing or some generic Nintendo crossover app.

I wonder if Animal Crossing : Happy home designer might be getting a mobile version.

It has to be mario, Animal crossing or some generic Nintendo crossover app.
Likely not, Scott Motiff just stated that they don't plan on porting their console games to mobile recently. I imagine it's Mario related, but probably not a platformer

KingBroly

Banned
Part of me thinks it'll be Mario.

Part of me thinks it'll be an IP that could work well on mobile.

Part of me thinks it'll be a new IP specifically for mobile.

One unanswered question: while they're obviously not porting anything from dedicated devices to mobile, would they produce something that could, at a glance, be mistaken for such a port? (i.e. a side-scrolling Mario endless runner using NSMBU assets.) How much of a priority is superficial differentiation?

JoeM86

One unanswered question: while they're obviously not porting anything from dedicated devices to mobile, would they produce something that could, at a glance, be mistaken for such a port? (i.e. a side-scrolling Mario endless runner using NSMBU assets.) How much of a priority is superficial differentiation?

I'd say there's a high priority. They want the mobile games, while standing on their own, to act as a stepping stone into the dedicated devices

Urgh, they should rather announce some exciting new games for their consoles. Wii U and 3DS are dying :/

But still, I'm pretty excited to see a Nintendo mobile game. Please be good...

JoeM86

Z7gmrWJn_400x400.jpeg

amiibo tracking game that let's you know where they are in stock and how far away that location is.
Once two players or more have placed bids and are ready to start the game, the race is on.

woopWOOP

Whatever it is I'm expecting microtransactions up the ass.
Doesn't matter tho, if it's fun enough (like few other apps) I'll still be able to enjoy it without paying a dime.

Or they do both, which they are doing.

Both? Look at E3, they have nothing in store for Wii U, and furthermore they announced absolutely nothing at Gamescom. I guess its the right time for some mobile games when they have absolutely nothing in store for their consoles.

JoeM86

No. There have been pokemon apps on mobile before.

Yeah, full list on my site. Mostly it's small titles, but some substantial stuff is there.

Both? Look at E3, they have nothing in store for Wii U, and furthermore they announced absolutely nothing at Gamescom. I guess its the right time for some mobile games when they have absolutely nothing in store for their consoles.

You'll see.

Besides, Nintendo very rarely reveals stuff at Gamescom anyway. Yes, E3 was disappointing in terms of big hitters, but let's not pretend they have nothing.

Kiote

Doesn't matter tho, if it's fun enough (like few other apps) I'll still be able to enjoy it without paying a dime.

Your more likely to see Pokemon Shuffle and Pokemon Rumble World style Micro-transactions. Which are generally not needed to enjoy the games, but make it either easier or dramatically reduce downtime. They also both offer in game ways to earn micro-transaction currency. In Rumble Worlds case, after you buy roughly the cost of a full game in currency, it unlocks a feature that gives you significant free currency every day.

Zubz

Banned
I bet it's just squid jump

I could totally see it being one of the Splatoon games.

But my money overall is that Nintendo's just going to do something easy, like a puzzle game (I mean, there's technically Pokemon Shuffle, but I think that's separate from this DeNA deal). My money's on a Candy Crush-esque Dr. Mario, or on a brand new puzzle game based on Animal Crossing.

Mario's a good way to make a big splash quick, but Animal Crossing seems to be Nintendo's new "Experimental Series." Plus, it's one of the Top 5 franchises for them right now, the brand fits mobile gaming, and unlike Mario, they're less afraid of tarnishing that brand.

JoeM86

Nintendo has outright said that they won't do that, so don't worry.

There's a lot for Wii U and 3DS this year. They didn't say they would announce anything at Gamescom either. They have their Nintendo directs to announce stuff for next year.
They are also not going overboard with mobile development. Only about 5 within 2 or so years IIRC
Whatever it's going to be, it's going to be incredibly underwhelming methinks. An "experiment"
They've seemingly been experimenting on 3DS for awhile now. Don't think it'll be that bad

Kiote

Are you high?

In the next four months Wii U is getting Xenoblade, Star Fox, Mario Maker,Yoshi, Animal Crossing, Devil's Third, Fatal Frame, Just Dance, Guitar Hero, and the Next Lego, Disney and Skylanders games.

Twelve Games across Eight Genres in Four Months is not nothing.

Top Bottom