• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Design Team - Star Fox 2 Interview (Super NES Mini Part 1)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo is introducing volume 1 of its Super NES Mini interviews - which are a collection of short panel interviews with the legendary Nintendo game design teams responsible for some of the featured first-party games.

These are currently publishing on Nintendo's Japan homepage first, and may appear later translated into English and other languages.

Part 1 - Star Fox 1+2 - Shigeru Miyamoto, Takaya Imamura, Tsuyoshi Watanabe
Part 2 - F-Zero (coming soon)

----------------------
00000744_820_461.jpg

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/9214cd6a-758b-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

Part 1 - Star Fox 1+2

- The panel is introduced as staff from Nintendo EAD (now part of Nintendo EPD) - including Shigeru Miyamoto, Takaya Imamura, and Tsuyoshi Watanabe
- MIyamoto (Producer), Takaya Imamura (Character designer and Lead 2D artist), Tsuyoshi Watanabe (Lead 3d designer)
- Katsuya Eguchi (Director) and Yoichi Yamada (Lead Planner) are mentioned but not interviewed
- Imamura originally designed the Star Fox cast as humans - but Miyamoto advised him to make them animals
- Imamura designed the animals but with some of the Nintendo EAD staff as inspiration. Fox is Miyamoto, Falco is Watanabe, Eguchi is Peppy, and Yamada is Slippy.
- [Imamura also designed Tingle and supposedly based that character off of Koji Kondo]
- Imamura's first major job was designing the characters and vehicles in F-Zero
- Watanabe was doing debug when he first joined the company
- Imamura and Watanabe worked together on a Link To the Past as Graphic Designers - before both working together on Star Fox.
- Watanabe not only handled the polygon designs of Star Fox and Star Fox 2 - but he also painted some of the promotional material found in packaging and manuals for both games.
- Everyone was happy that the game finally saw release to the public.

Aw, yeah!

Should've seen these coming since we got some interviews for NES Classic as well. Looking forward to seeing these translated and what games will be discussed.

Edit: Huh, I guess there is a resemblance between Kondo and Tingle, LOL.

It must feel so good, and be so rare, to have a game you made over 22 years ago finally be released after years of mythical status. Shame Dylan Cuthbert couldn't be interviewed here, but I remember he was pretty over the moon when he heard the news too.

- [Imamura also designed Tingle and supposedly based that character off of Koji Kondo]

Hoooooly shit. I'm never going to unsee this.

watershed

Banned
Eguchi as Peppy makes so much sense now that we know. I wonder how Kondo feels about being the inspiration for Tingle.

Making them animals was a great idea. Star Fox was a groundbreaking game in terms of visuals, but without the animal cast it would have been rather generic like some of the other Super FX games.

Trogdor1123

Is it ff3 or ff6 in the classic? I'm hoping for ff6 from the gba but assume it's ff3 from the SNES which makes sense and is fine.

TheMoon

Is it ff3 or ff6 in the classic? I'm hoping for ff6 from the gba but assume it's ff3 from the SNES which makes sense and is fine.

Think about what you're asking. Seriously.

"is the SNES version in the SNES mini console that includes SNES games or is there a GBA port in the SNES mini console that includes SNES games"

Trogdor1123

Think about what you're asking. Seriously.

"is the SNES version in the SNES mini console that includes SNES games or is there a GBA port in the SNES mini console that includes SNES games"

Well there is a game in the package that was never even released on snes and its pretty clear in my post i dont expect it to be there either... but whatever...

Dr Thor

Neo Member
I want to read this but it will probably just lead to seething in rage because Nintendo is making it impossible for me to buy an SNES Mini

PSqueak

Banned
Making them animals was a great idea. Star Fox was a groundbreaking game in terms of visuals, but without the animal cast it would have been rather generic like some of the other Super FX games.

Legends say this is the same reason Catshit One (Apocalypse Meow) featured animals instead of humans, the author started with human characters (which can be seen in one of the volumes' bonus content) but was adviced to make them animals to make it more unique.

Seems like it's a safe advice to invest in furries!

Top Bottom