• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct 6/21] Super Smash Bros 4 a collaboration w/ Sora & Namco Bandi Games

BD1

Banned
Just announced by Iwata on Nintendo Direct.

Translation on Twitter here

"Super Smash Bros. is being developed with Bandai-Namco Games/Studios & Project Sora. ( #NintendoDirectJP live at http://ustre.am/LMIr)"

"Sakurai of Sora and Kobayashi of Bandai-Namco will give a greeting following the show. ( #NintendoDirectJP live at http://ustre.am/LMIr)"

MESSAGE FROM SAKURAI / KOBAYASHI
Masahiro Sakurai
Hello, I'm Masahiro Sakurai, the director of the Super Smash Bros. series.

It's my personal belief that the only time a creative product really resonates is in that first moment when it's actually in front of you.

With that said, I've realized that if we keep the new Super Smash Bros. title's development structure secret, it'll only create more and more speculation, and I won't be able to develop the game with any freedom. That's why I've decided to announce this news right now, even though it's still very early on.

I would love to provide more information, but for now, I'm going to stay quiet until I have something solid to show you.

The project has just gotten started. Bear in mind that not only are we developing two titles simultaneously, but we announced the project before we even started actual development, so I'm afraid we will likely have to keep you waiting for quite a while. Please be patient.

Currently, the prototype prepared by NAMCO BANDAI Games and NAMCO BANDAI Studios' special team looks pretty good, and it's working great. In order to take advantage of the fact that there will be versions for two different systems, and to maximize and offer fun new gameplay elements, the entire team is going to work hard together. Thank you.

Kobayashi
Hello, everyone. I'm Masaya Kobayashi of NAMCO BANDAI Studios. I'm so honored to be able to join the Smash Bros. team--that globally popular series of which Japan is particularly proud—and to work alongside of Mr. Sakurai.

In order to make Mr. Sakurai proud, we will take on this project with NAMCO BANDAI's best staff! Yoshito Higuchi, the producer and the director of the "Tales" series, Tetsuya Akatsuka, producer and director of "Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs.," the art director/sound director of the "SoulCalibur" series, the main development team staff from the "TEKKEN" series…and that's just for starters. All the top creators from NAMCO BANDAI are gathered here to create a never-before-seen dream team for this project. We will fully utilize our experience and knowledge in action/fighting game development, technical capability, and organizational strength, and we hereby promise you that we will develop the best and most powerful "Super Smash Bros." title ever! Don't miss it!

Representative works:

Masaya Kobayashi
"Ridge Racer" series
"We Ski" (Wii) series
"Go Vacation" (Wii)

Yoshito Higuchi
"SoulCalibur" series
"Tales of the Abyss
"Tales of Vesperia"

hyduK

Banned
They should have shown it at E3.

Played Melee on and off for GC's whole lifecycle, but Brawl couldn't really hold my attention.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fucking huge.

Holy shit, this game might actually be partially tailored to be viable competitively.

SMASH 4 FOR EVO

Takao

Banned
Namco Bandage Games

Weird, Scamco makes no 2D fighters anymore, do they?

They should have shown it at E3.

Shown what? This game is likely late 2013/early 2014, there's probably nothing to show except wireframes and sketches at this point.

Glix

Naruto team? Aren't their games usually gorgeous? Does this mean the game is coming sooner then expected? Footage tonight? I'm bugging!!

Takao

Banned
Naruto team? Aren't their games usually gorgeous? Does this mean the game is coming sooner then expected? Footage tonight? I'm bugging!!

Namco Bandai outsources their Naruto games to CyberConnect 2, so nope. As I said earlier, Project Sora just completed Kid Icarus a couple of months ago. There's likely nothing to show.

Mistle

I hope the roster isn't clogged with non-Nintendo characters...

I also hope they don't put primary focus on some other new mode. I just want multiplayer ;_;

Brawl with more characters? What's the problem? Get capcom, konami, Sega and whoever else wants in and make this shit happen MUGEN style.

hatchx

Banned
There's two Smash Bros guys, plenty of develepment to go around.

I;m drunk right now, so right now this seems like a good way to speed up development! NEED ME SOM SMASH

Salsa

this clearly has good and bad implications

bad in the way that if there's a Tekken character in my smash im gonna FLIP A TABLE

Top Bottom