• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Announced for Feb 8th, 2023 (40min long)

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Disappointing on so many fronts.

GB and GBA for Nintendo Online - yay, a few games for this garbage service that will trickle a few games out here and there going forward. Paying a sub for roms. lol I would actually buy some of these retro games if Nintendo would ensure forward compatibility with newer consoles, and not lock everything like they did with retro game purchases on Wii U.

Fire Emblem Engage new DLC - so they are charging for additional characters (or whatever they call them in Engage). The character design in Engage looked awful, so didn't buy it, but is this basically built around adding fan favorite heroes from past games as DLC? Sad.

Metroid Prime Remaster - I own this on Wii (and can also play via Dolphin), so not terribly excited. Great game, but yet another remaster.

Tears of the Kingdom - I will buy this no matter what, since I loved BotW, but that trailer was bad. Compared to the epic BotW that still gives me goosebumps to this day, it was terrible. Really hope they basically left everything interesting out of the trailer.

Overall, here's my gif rating of this direct:

funny-gif-throwing-a-grenade-fail.gif

TwiztidElf

Disappointing overall.
But can't really complain about a Direct that had: Pikmin4, Etrian Odyssey collection, Advance Wars, Zelda.
Fantasy Life and Samba Di Amigo are interesting also.

EDMIX

Last edited:

NanaMiku

I thought that fashion game was going to be a new Style Saavy.
I think it's a spiritual successor. Style Savvy was published by Nintendo. Fashion Dreamer is by Marvelous

atTN5PD.png

061.jpg

Shulk seems barely aged.
Well, technically he is a god
I will pick up Fashion Dreamer to see how it is. The artstyle looks very similar. Style Saavy series was one of my favorite DS/3DS series. Thinking of DS I want a new Trauma Center or remaster of the Wii remakes.
Ugh, I really want new Trauma Center game. Hopefully it's next game to be remaster after Etrian Odyssey lol

Ozzie666

Fantasy life was probably one of the best announcements off the top of my head. But it really feels like Nintendo is in winddown mode like the last 2 years of the WII. It's basically just Zelda. They can't coast like this for more than a year., so hopefully they have something big for Christmas. Overall, it felt like a disappointment but somewhat expected. Their experienced teams have moved on internally, at least that's how it felt. Gameboy, expansions, DLC.

Woopah

Fantasy life was probably one of the best announcements off the top of my head. But it really feels like Nintendo is in winddown mode like the last 2 years of the WII. It's basically just Zelda. They can't coast like this for more than a year., so hopefully they have something big for Christmas. Overall, it felt like a disappointment but somewhat expected. Their experienced teams have moved on internally, at least that's how it felt. Gameboy, expansions, DLC.
2023 is definitely not looking as strong as 2022 (at least not based on what we know so far) but its a loooooooooot stronger than the last 2 year of the Wii. They’re still releasing one game a month on Switch.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
2023 is definitely not looking as strong as 2022 (at least not based on what we know so far) but its a loooooooooot stronger than the last 2 year of the Wii. They’re still releasing one game a month on Switch.
I'm also thinking Mario Baseball/sports will be released in June. Prob another Mario Party game and maybe 2D mario for Holidays.

Woopah

I'm also thinking Mario Baseball/sports will be released in June. Prob another Mario Party game and maybe 2D mario for Holidays.
They do normally have Mairo Sports games in June, but I feel if there was one this year we'd have seen it in the Direct. I do think we'll see a 2D Mario for this holiday along with 2-3 of the below:
  • New Tomodachi Collection
  • Action game from Grezzo
  • Kid Icarus remake
  • F Zero GX remaster

Botw 2 looks like a game that should have come out 3 years ago, seems like it’s has reused a huge amount from the first game, still no sign of any dungeons, im sure the game will be good, looks like the sky islands are replacing the mini dungeons from the first game.

Gambit2483

Outside of Zelda this is looking like a completely lackluster year. I see now why they sat on Metroid Prime Remastered for so long. They desperately needed to have some padding this first half before Zelda.

I hope Nintendo doesn't screw around and lose mindshare and interest in Switch this year and fizzle out like they did with Wii

Woopah

Outside of Zelda this is looking like a completely lackluster year. I see now why they sat on Metroid Prime Remastered for so long. They desperately needed to have some padding this first half before Zelda.

I hope Nintendo doesn't screw around and lose mindshare and interest in Switch this year and fizzle out like they did with Wii
The first 7 months of the year have 4 new games, 1 remake and 2 remasters. It's not an amazing line up or anything, but its decent and far far better than the last 2 years of the Wii.

We don't know what they have for the final 5 months of the year, so I think that will decide if 2023 is a good year for Nintendo first party or just a medicore/decent one.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That layton teaser was in-engine yes? Or did it look like CG? Please in-engine cos that looked stupendous in the way ni no kuni did. And Steampunk derivatives are the best, like Sakura Wars setting.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Switch 2 in 2024 seems very likely now.

All the big Nintendo teams apart from the Zelda team are absent, obviously working on next-gen Nintendo games.

Zelda and Pikmin is closing out the Switch pipeline, expect some minor stuff in the fall and a new Switch with a new 3D Mario and Mario Kart 9 in 2024.

belmarduk

Wow

I am truly disappointed

Why are they using the same enemies as BotW? Its been six years!

Why are they making more content for Mario Kart 8? Its been nine years!

There's never been a BAD Zelda game but there have been some (Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass) that just were not nearly as good as the best Zelda games and TOTK looks like it will fall squarely in that category.

supernova8

Banned
Wow

I am truly disappointed

Why are they using the same enemies as BotW? Its been six years!

Why are they making more content for Mario Kart 8? Its been nine years!

There's never been a BAD Zelda game but there have been some (Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass) that just were not nearly as good as the best Zelda games and TOTK looks like it will fall squarely in that category.
Lol yeah it really is a case of "what the fuck have you guys been doing all this time?!" The only thing that looked potentially good is Layton and that got like 20 seconds or something.

Also there was seriously nothing good for about the first 30 minutes. I would've been gutted if I stayed up late to watch it live.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So Zelda..........which somehow still manages to looks good (great work considering the restraints) even with silly vehicles and graphics from 7+ years ago (so frustrated, imagine what these amazing developers could do with hardware literally 10 times as powerful..)
Metriod remaster, I like it.....for $25 not $50, but less than I expected from Nintendo anyhow.....
And a disney game that looks like it's ripped off every idea from rayman legends (actually I think this is a good thing......)?

So Nintendo gets a A+! Seriously though, MS would have been roasted alive for this lineup but it's Nintendo......LOL

Last edited:

StueyDuck

We streamed/reacted to it and had some laughs and a few moments of happiness but all in all I'd say this direct was great for older gamers but pretty average overall. (Can't believe we wasted time looking at a fashion game)

6/10

Last edited:

Zimmy68

The answer to all these negative questions is "It's Nintendo"
The people reward them for water drip releases of titles.
They can take 5 years to develop because they can, they can limit the number of developers because it will save money.
They still print money.
As someone who has an OG Switch and owned every console they released, I still don't understand.
I expected there would have to be a at least one of a new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart every year for the system to be successful.
What have we gotten? 1 Mario, 1 Zelda (soon to be 2), 1/2 a Metroid game, and a Wii U Mario Kart.
I haven't turned my Switch on in months and they still sell like hotcakes.
Switch 2 should have been released last year, heck the new Zelda game would have been a perfect showcase but nothing hints they are even working on it.

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
What stood out to me is none of these titles appeared to be running on Switch. Like I own a switch and games have been muddy and jaggy since day 1 - The image resolution, clarity, anti aliasing all seemed to be much higher in this video beyond than anything switch can do. Sorry for being old and stupid, but I assume Nintendo is just running these on PC's via emulation or whatever to capture the direct feed? And everyone is just ... cool with that? Am I nuts?

MagnesD3

The answer to all these negative questions is "It's Nintendo"
The people reward them for water drip releases of titles.
They can take 5 years to develop because they can, they can limit the number of developers because it will save money.
They still print money.
As someone who has an OG Switch and owned every console they released, I still don't understand.
I expected there would have to be a at least one of a new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart every year for the system to be successful.
What have we gotten? 1 Mario, 1 Zelda (soon to be 2), 1/2 a Metroid game, and a Wii U Mario Kart.
I haven't turned my Switch on in months and they still sell like hotcakes.
Switch 2 should have been released last year, heck the new Zelda game would have been a perfect showcase but nothing hints they are even working on it.
old people are nostalgic and have kids and their newer main demographics have no taste so they get away with murder

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What stood out to me is none of these titles appeared to be running on Switch. Like I own a switch and games have been muddy and jaggy since day 1 - The image resolution, clarity, anti aliasing all seemed to be much higher in this video beyond than anything switch can do. Sorry for being old and stupid, but I assume Nintendo is just running these on PC's via emulation or whatever to capture the direct feed? And everyone is just ... cool with that? Am I nuts?
Bullshots are as old as the gaming industry itself

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I guess it's confirmed it's from the Style Savvy creator. Seemed pretty obvious, but Destructoid had an article on it.

I'll never buy this because the game is just not for me. But if there was some kind of RPG or something that had this art style I'd definitely get it.

fashion_dreamer_screenshot_6.jpg
fashiondreamer-1675894328667_1200x675.jpeg

images
images

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I tried the Sea of Stars demo and was very unimpressed. I don't think I'll be getting it day 1.

Music was bad. Story was not great, but it was the very beginning. The character portraits look good, but the animations didn't land for me. The combat was slow.

belmarduk

Lol yeah it really is a case of "what the fuck have you guys been doing all this time?!" The only thing that looked potentially good is Layton and that got like 20 seconds or something.

Also there was seriously nothing good for about the first 30 minutes. I would've been gutted if I stayed up late to watch it live.

I actually.... considered calling out from work for this.
As the poster above me suggested, this lackluster direct really does point to a new console next year.

What a horrible Zelda trailer. It ended the Direct with a thud and took the air out of it instead of ending on a heavenly crescendo of gaming bliss. Metroid & the NSO releases actually overshadowed that junky trailer. Did NOTHING to hype up Zelda. “6 years for what??” Should be the name of that Zelda trailer. Nothing in that trailer shows 6 years of work. However, I still expect to be blown away by the game , just horrible marketing.

The question now becomes, what happens for switch the rest of the year? What will be their big holiday release?

If Switch 2 is next year, there wont be any heavy hitting new games after Tears Of The Kingdom on Switch. MAYBE a 2D Mario if the budget for that type of game is relatively on the low end, or perhaps a Super Mario World Remake? So I think all the rest of the rumored remasters will release. I think the later half of this year we will get the Wind Waker/ Twilight Princess HD combo, possibly as their big holiday title. Maybe Galaxy 2 HD? I’m game for all that, LOVE playing all the great classics on my Switch and on the go. Im ready for the next generation of hopefully more powerful hardware to host Nintendo’s new games.
qNRgmW6.jpg

oanmiCY.jpg

Top Bottom