• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct E3 2013 Presentation

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
For those complaining about a lackluster conference, you can pretty much thank all of the Nintendo Directs for that. Before the Nintendo Direct's, Nintendo would save the stuff in them for E3.

Was going to say this, and of course, it isn't like this will be the last chance we have to hear Nintendo news this year.

And just because a game isn't mentioned in a Direct, doesn't mean its not coming. Case in point - CoD: Ghosts.

guek

Banned
Good compared to the Wii and Wii U right now, but GC's support was still bad especially considering how much support Xbox got and they sold the same amount

Uh no. I'm going to keep saying no because that's not a really fair statement. Gamecube's 3rd party support dwindled over time but it wasn't "bad" at the beginning.

For those complaining about a lackluster conference, you can pretty much thank all of the Nintendo Directs for that. Before the Nintendo Direct's, Nintendo would save the stuff in them for E3.
Exactly right. Without the previous Nintendo Directs, we would not have known about:

HD Wind Waker Remake
The plan to show Mario Kart and Smash
Monolith's X

I think the reaction might have been different had that been the case.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
They're already ignoring it. Take a look at the announcements from the few publishers that are providing third party titles this year.

Warner Brothers Interactive:
Dying Light (PC, PS3, 360, PS4, XB1)
Mad Max (PC, PS3, 360, PS4, XB1)

Ubisoft:
The Crew (PC, PS4, XB1)
Tom Clancy's The Division (PC, PS4, XB1)

Square-Enix:
Final Fantasy XV (PS4, XB1)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4, XB1)

Activision:
Diablo 3 (PS3, 360, PS4)
Destiny (PS3, 360, PS4, XB1)

They will release games they think appeal to the audience (they perceive) Nintendo cultivates: Just Dance 2014, Scribblenauts Unmasked, Skylanders. But they aren't bring AAA games targeted at traditional "core" demographics to the system.

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, and I do think things look bleak for 2014, but that list is ignoring some core 3rd party games announced for this year.

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, and I do think things look bleak for 2014, but that list is ignoring some core 3rd party games announced for this year.
I know which games are coming this year (listed them earlier). But what I'm saying is look at those games, look at who's publishing them and then look at what they recently announced...

And you get a pretty clear picture of publisher confidence and support going forward.

Games coming this year from WBIE and Ubi were set in motion before Nintendo delayed all their output and the system tanked at retail. In all likelihood they are ports of current gen SKUs.

The decision to release an already green lit in-development game for a system tanking at retail essentially boils down to whether you think you'll lose more investment scrapping what's already done or sinking more money into what will probably yield a negative ROI. And these titles presumably fall towards the latter so they're ploughing on.

The announcements coming out now and decisions on green lighting platforms for them were made more recently.

WBIE is seemingly no longer bothering to port 360 SKUs to the Wii U. Ubi is seemingly moving away from cross-gen quicker.

Pikma

Banned
I'm still waiting for F-ZERO GXU, Advance Wars 3D, The Last Story 2, a new IP and Vanquish 2, I'm really sure they're coming, guys, I'm certain.

skeletable.jpg

Deprive

Man that's 3 terrible E3's for Nintendo. Don't see this console having much of a future at this point sadly. Because Nintendo really isn't going to make the type of moves that need to be made.

Feel sorry for all of you first adopters :|

Bullza2o

Man that's 3 terrible E3's for Nintendo. Don't see this console having much of a future at this point sadly. Because Nintendo really isn't going to make the type of moves that need to be made.

Really? I thought it was great -- though mediocre in the sense that there are no games coming out in the near future. Most games shown were 2014.

2014 will definitely be the best year for Wii U.

Meelow

Banned

...Right.

It wasn't a bad Direct, it just had no surprises (other than Mega Man), if Nintendo didn't have a January Direct this Direct would of been amazing.

I'm definitely getting a WiiU. Probably this fall. Got to play Sonic Lostworld, Mario 3D World, and DKCR2.

Mario Kart in the spring? Yes please.

ozfunghi

The problem wasn't the quality of what was shown, but rather the only surprise, being a bad surprise (no "core-oriented" game from Retro).

cand

Well I discovered that if you watch all the interview directs the conference looks better. I'm watching them through the eshop, and the games look AMAZING. Also there's a ton of information that didn't appear in the E3 direct, like, Smash stages for 3DS will be based in handheld games while wii u version on console games... Just watch it guys, on a TV. Smash looks beautiful, the new mario and WW too... I will watch the MK8 one right now.

Deprive

Really? I thought it was great -- though mediocre in the sense that there are no games coming out in the near future. Most games shown were 2014.

2014 will definitely be the best year for Wii U.

Yeah 2014 will be a better year for the Wii U. But let's be serious, it's not going to matter in 2014. :|

Nekofrog

Banned
Good compared to the Wii and Wii U right now, but GC's support was still bad especially considering how much support Xbox got and they sold the same amount

The comparison is 3rd party support between Nintendo systems, not other console manufacturers.

The fact is, the GC by itself had pretty good 3rd party support. The Wii U has abysmal third party support by itself.

Compare the GC and the Wii U and the "abysmal" turns into "fatal".

Well I discovered that if you watch all the interview directs the conference looks better. I'm watching them through the eshop, and the games look AMAZING. Also there's a ton of information that didn't appear in the E3 direct, like, Smash stages for 3DS will be based in handheld games while wii u version on console games... Just watch it guys, on a TV. Smash looks beautiful, the new mario and WW too... I will watch the MK8 one right now.

Why should people have to go out of their way to find all the details about shit when they SHOULD have been shown during what was supposed to be Nintendo's major ND of the year?

Mlatador

Banned

I'd really like to hear your opinion on this. What type of moves does Nintendo have to make according to you. I am really curious.

Pikma

Banned

Feel sorry for all of you first adopters:|
Well, then don't, because it's not like they're discontinuing all support, some of us actually knew what we were getting into when we bought it, and we are really satisfied with the coming games, there aren't many but man, the few there are... they're all really great (TW101, Pikmin 3, Bayonaisse 2, DK, MK, SM3DW, SSB).

You can feel bad about anyone who bought it expecting to see a lot of 3rd party support though, those guys really need all the empathy there is.

Mlatador

Banned
The problem wasn't the quality of what was shown, but rather the only surprise, being a bad surprise (no "core-oriented" game from Retro).

WHAAAT? Not "core-oriented"?? I would have loved a new Metroid Prime as well, but man, DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE (essentially Donkey Kong Country Returns 2) is one of THE most (hard)core titles ever. It dosn't get more "CORE" that this! (FUCK YEAH, still sooo happy it's coming!! MOTHERFUCKIN' DKCR2!! SUWEET!!!)

one_kill

I'd really like to hear your opinion on this. What type of moves does Nintendo have to make according to you. I am really curious.
Didn't you know that Nintendo has to:
- Show new games that haven't been announced since games already announced aren't new
- Make a new 3D Mario game that's not 3D World
- Release 10000 games this year
- Announce a new Zelda game
- Stop wasting Retro's talent and let them make a new IP instead of stupid shit like DKC (a game that sold well and was widely praised)
- Drop the price of the Wii U
- Make more announcements
- Make more and more announcements
- Announce new IPs and more games
- Announce another Zelda. We want three Zeldas on the Wii U

Pikma

Banned
- Show new games that haven't been announced since games already announced aren't new
- Stop wasting Retro's talent and let them make a new IP instead of stupid shit like DKC (a game that sold well and was widely praised)
-Announce a cross platform F-ZERO GX sequel
-Moneyhat Final Fantasy XVII

Disappointed there were no surprises. Disappointed in Retro's game being DKCR. Disappointed in 3D Mario. Satisfied with X, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bros., Wonderful 101. Blown Away by Mario Kart 8, Pokemon X/Y, Bayonetta 2. Don't care about Wii Party, Art Academy.

Also, I move that Nintendo go back to their usual E3 conference. The lag on the E3 direct was just adding to my frustration. I miss crowd reactions even if it's mostly press now. And boy did I miss Reggie.

Nekofrog

Banned

I'll chime in.

1. Complete overhaul of the Wii U operating system. The "upgrade" helped, but it's still shit in a box.

2. Account-based systems for the Wii U.

3. Stop IP whoring. Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario.

4. If you're going to IP whore, don't take a game designed for a handheld and push it out as your next big mainline Mario title. There is ZERO fucking excuse for this Super Mario World U piece of shit to even exist. Mario Galaxy was a testament that in the right hands, Mario can be more than just the same old shit over and over.

5. Franchise fatigue is absolutely surging. It's time to put some franchises to rest for a while (Mario Kart), and shuffle some IPs to completely different people (Zelda).

6. Fill the void in the lineup. Wii Sports U with full online functionality including leaderboards should have been a day one title. As of now, it still doesn't even fucking exist, which is a goddamn shame because Wii Sports was one of the best games ever created.

7. Stop with the "please understand" shit. Play your fucking cards when it MATTERS (ie E3). That is, if they even have any cards to play which I am doubting at this point.

8. Fire Iwata and Miyamoto.

trixx

I wasn't expecting a whole lot of third parties but I was expecting something. The only third party I'm probably going to get is watch_dogs. I expected a lot more and they let me down.

I honestly wish I could return my Wii u. I have every single Nintendo console but as I said earlier never buying a console at launch again

All they really had to do was to get pikmin in the launch there's not even one launch game I'm amazed with

Neiteio

What an amazing showing. Best Nintendo E3 since 2010, which in turn was the best since 2006. This is right up there with the all-time greats. SM3DW and MK8 look like something lifted straight out of my childhood dreams. DKCTF looks incredible. Smash looks more amazing by the moment, with Wii Fit Trainer taking everything up another notch. Everything looks so good! In fact, the only game that just seems kind of "meh" is Wind Waker, since it doesn't look like much of a change.

Deprive

I would not bother trying to get games like Destiny, GTA 5, etc.. All the big stuff like that people will play on PS4/Xbone/PC.

Exclusives are what is needed.

Well before the Square announcement, I would have had them get KH3 exclusive. Also have all the KH games ported to the 3DS/Wii U. I really think KH could have been a great fit for Nintendo.

Resident Evil Remake HD port.
Pay for the development of RE2 Remake.
Create some more western studios.
Poach some games that are in development but have no publishers.
Pay for the port of PC titles that otherwise might not appear on consoles. Say a game like Amnesia.

Of course drop the price, but I don't see them doing that this year.

DKCR sold well sure. The Wii had a massive install base, the Wii U does not.

I know they won't discontinue support. There are just going to be massive droughts from here on out most likely.

Pikma

Banned
What an amazing showing. Best Nintendo E3 since 2010, which in turn was the best since 2006. This is right up there with the all-time greats. SM3DW and MK8 look like something lifted straight out of my childhood dreams. DKCTF looks incredible. Smash looks more amazing by the moment, with Wii Fit Trainer taking everything up another notch. Everything looks so good! In fact, the only game that just seems kind of "meh" is Wind Waker, since it doesn't look like much of a change.
Can't agree more, the lack of a surprise (only one needed) is what kept it from being perfect for me, but it was still fucking awesome. Everything they showed was really great.
Thanks Sony and Ninty, you made this E3 worthwhile for me.

cand

The comparison is 3rd party support between Nintendo systems, not other console manufacturers.

The fact is, the GC by itself had pretty good 3rd party support. The Wii U has abysmal third party support by itself.

Compare the GC and the Wii U and the "abysmal" turns into "fatal".

Why should people have to go out of their way to find all the details about shit when they SHOULD have been shown during what was supposed to be Nintendo's major ND of the year?

I didn't say they should... people can do whatever they want. If they want to whine forever, they can, I don't care...

Nintendo posted additional Developer Direct videos with a lot more insight into each game. Everything is featured except The Wonderful 101 (and X), because Kamiya probably asked if they ate shit.

Super Smash Bros. Developer Direct

Pikmin 3 Developer Direct

Mario Kart 8 Developer Direct

Super Mario 3D World Developer Direct

Bayonetta 2 Developer Direct

Donkey Kong Country:Tropical Freeze Developer Direct

Wind Waker HD Developer Direct

Thanks \o/

Can't agree more, the lack of a surprise (only one needed) is what kept it from being perfect for me, but it was still fucking awesome. Everything they showed was really great.
Thanks Sony and Ninty, you made this E3 worthwhile for me.

I completely agree, this E3 makes up for the 2011 and 2012 showing from both Sony and Nintendo.

oatmeal

Banned
Wow, I'm debating selling my Wii U now.

That was the most disappointing conference I've ever seen.

Why would you waste your biggest guns on Donkey Kong? Put the 3DS team on that shit...who gives a fuck about Donkey Kong.

I can't wait for Iwata to step down. He's such a clueless moron.

AniHawk

i'll keep my impressions from today to just nintendo stuff:

everything was rehash

okay, not everything. mario kart 8 was pretty neat, and the only game on the floor that looked like a huge step forward from the previous entry. there's more imagination there than any other newly announced wii u game i saw today. the twisty turny shit is awesome, and the game looks great too.

super mario 3d world is okay at best. the baby levels from 3d land return, and multiple players can join on on wii remotes (i don't know if they can use the nunchuck, but the demo units only had the wii remotes, and controlling 3d characters with a d-pad isn't fun). tokyo has always struck me as a sort of crummy studio and this helps cement it. there really isn't a lot of thought given to the multiplayer aspect, and at the same time, the levels are made super easy to accommodate for multiple people. frustrating.

sonic lost world might have been my favorite wii u game. i was worried that the hold-button-to-run stuff wouldn't work, but it does. the controls aren't perfect, but they do work well, and i think there's a lot of potential for a really good sonic game. lost world has all the spectacle that's missing from almost every nintendo game at the show.

dkc felt like it was a wii game and it kinda looked like it. the gamepad is not required to play, as i played using dkcr's old broken scheme. bleh. the level design seemed more varied and interesting than its predecessor though- a good sign.

i didn't play the wind waker hd because why would i, but man it sure looks gorgeous in person. it almost makes me want to buy that flawed game again just looking at it.

bayonetta 2 was bayonetta with more shit. i don't think you could pick up weapons, which is a bummer (and it might have just been the level), and some of the craziness lost me (you eventually fight, flying up a tower). it was more bayonetta though, and i am glad for that.

onto 3ds, i only played three games

yoshi's new island had three excerpts from the first three levels bunched together and capped with a boss fight. it was pretty much yoshi's island all right. controlled well and looked really nice in 3d. i saw the snes yoshi's island in 3d and i think nintendo made the right choice with these visuals.

sonic lost world was less impressive than the console counterpart, but it wasn't bad. there was just less stuff to do overall- and there wasn't really any draw distance. it felt really obvious when you were being flown to the next area that the next area was loading.

a link between worlds was neat and the flatten mechanic is pretty damn cool. i forgot it was part of the game until i saw the button prompt pop up. the visuals are less enjoyable than yoshi, and link and skeletons in particular look pretty bad. the dungeon i played was the one everyone's posted impressions from already. it was pretty neat.

ajjow

The only thing stopping me from selling my wii u is the fact that all my wii games have been transferred.... man, i wish i could turn back time

jlscool

Nintendo posted additional Developer Direct videos with a lot more insight into each game. Everything is featured except The Wonderful 101 (and X), because Kamiya probably asked if they ate shit.

Super Smash Bros. Developer Direct

Pikmin 3 Developer Direct

Mario Kart 8 Developer Direct

Super Mario 3D World Developer Direct

Bayonetta 2 Developer Direct

Donkey Kong Country:Tropical Freeze Developer Direct

Wind Waker HD Developer Direct

Its true that there are no Developer Directs for X and Wonderful 101, but the Official E3 Trailers do have additional info (well for Wonderful 101 at least, the X Trailer is the same from the E3 Direct, but you can watch it again :)

Monolith X

Platinum Games Wonderful 101

Also, I was disappointed about Retro working on another Donkey Kong Country game, but did you see that the game only has 5 Islands. Seems short. Last one was 8. I wonder if it will be a full price game and also I wonder if their main work force is still working on a different project (Either that or they are helping with Mario Kart 8)

I really dislike this tactic of disingenuously reducing criticism to that of misinformed whining. You include hyperbole that nobody suggested (they need 10000 games), disregard that there are legitimate reasons that people are disappointed with Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong, and ignore that the reason that "we already knew it was coming" is such a widely used talking point is because it highlights that there were literally no surprises outside of the divisive reveal of Retro's game.

If you just wanted a progress report on games you're looking forward to playing, I can understand being happy with this showing. However, for those anticipating a spectacle that would start a triumphant relaunch campaign, it should be easy to understand why the show was disappointing.

5. Franchise fatigue is absolutely surging. It's time to put some franchises to rest for a while (Mario Kart)

Always funny to see this old chestnut pop up.
Apparently one entry per platform is just too damn much!

You know it's been over 5 years since the last Mario Kart on console, right?

ngower

As someone who only owns a 3DS, I was kinda bummed by this E3. Smash looks AMAZING, but it's incredibly far away. It's nice to know Pokemon's exact street date, but it's still four months away. Zelda and Yoshi's Island I'm not entirely sure about yet, but still, they're very far away. There is LITERALLY nothing to look forward to in the near future per this E3.

I was realistically hoping for Miiverse information and optimistically hoping for GBA or SNES on 3DS VC, but nothing.

Hoping these rumors of more Nintendo Direct presentations are true, or I'll be pretty bummed by this E3 offering.

I thought the Nintendo Direct was alright. They focused 100% on games which was a welcome change. The X/Y news was nice but people paying attention to rumors already knew about fairy type. Asfor the rest it was expected. I loved DKCR and SM3DL but I was a bit underwhelmed by the new anouncements. I'm fully confident they will be great games but I was hoping for something much more ambitious. Also, if Nintendo wants to reverse the Wii U situation, anouncing 3DS sequels isn't the way. MK8, DKC:TF, SM3DW, and even doing a dual version of Wii U/3DS SSB doesn't highlight what the Wii U can do and most of those are continued iterations/styles that are on the 3DS. Despite my mild dissapointment, I will more than likely get Pikmin 3, W101, WWHD, DKC:TF and SM3DW which is a lot of games for one system. I usually only get a few games a year and across multiple different platforms so that is a lot for me and I'm interested in X/Y, Link to the World, Batman Arkham Blackgate, Batman Arkham Origins, and AC 4. Granted the latter 3 will depend a lot more heavily on quality. I haven't played an AC game since Brotherhood so I'm not sure on that nor which platform (360 or wii u).

squid

Mario Kart looked great, Smash Bros looked great, Donkey Kong looked great (once I'd gotten over the slight disappointment they weren't working on Starfox or a new IP). Mario was disappointing though. Overall, it was a decent showing. My first impressions were terrible, probably partly because I was annoyed at the stream constantly crashing on me, but now that I've had the chance to take a proper look at everything announced, I'm feeling a bit more positive about it.

Top Bottom