• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct EU] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy demo now available

Yeah, I know, but I'm usually not going out of my way to import a game at launch to save a couple of bucks. UK shopping is meant for 17.95GBP and below as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just bummed because I only really know the music of FFVIII and the main theme of FFXIII
I can see how that would suck a little. Nostalgia will play a considerable role in this.

WhyMe6

I was so hyped for this game. Rhythm game x FF music = Third biggest rhythm game dream come true (behind Pokemon and Persona rhythm games). Then I played the demo I'm like hyped x1000, this game is awesome and amazing and so good take my money NOW squeenix!!!

So damn keen <3

Salih

really fun actually. The second song where you glide most of the time is alot easier than that regular song with 4 segments.

there is not much to say - fun rhythm gameplay; works well and sound quality (via headphones) is really nice. Maybe not day1 form me 'cause i don't really care that much for FF music (only FFVI, VII) but i will get this somewhere down the line when it gets a bit cheaper.

nevertheless, thumbs up from me!

Holy Wars

Banned
Could you explain?

It's not Ouendan, but it's not really meant to be...

I just found it kinda awkward to read. Ouendan was incredibly smart with how notes and movements were shown. This feels like it was designed for buttons and they just threw it on 3DS for some reason.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Speaking of the future DLCs, every piece of music will come with new battle backgrounds? If I'm not mistaken XIII-2 and Type-0' DLCs do that.

beril

I thought the game was a but awkward to be honest. Would probably have been better if the actions were on the bottom screen or just used the buttons

In the battle music, having four rows of notes were just counter intuitive and made it harder to read and in the field music when you're sliding the stylus I sometimes lost track of the relative placement and hit the edges of the screen when I needed to make big sliding motions.

Still, it's a rhythm game with music I actually like so I'll probably buy it

Perfo

I thought the game was a but awkward to be honest. Would probably have been better if the actions were on the bottom screen or just used the buttons

In the battle music, having four rows of notes were just counter intuitive and made it harder to read and in the field music when you're sliding the stylus I sometimes lost track of the relative placement and hit the edges of the screen when I needed to make big sliding motions.

Still, it's a rhythm game with music I actually like so I'll probably buy it

Nintendo 3DS – and games like this one – would've been so better with just one 3d touch screen than not the current solution with two screens.

Jintor

Nintendo 3DS – and games like this one – would've been so better with just one 3d touch screen than not the current solution with two screens.

If there's one perfect way to consistantly disrupt a 3d experience it would have to be to constantly jam a stylus into it.

Yes!

o1UNa.gif

This and KH 3D demo? Eeee!

Perfo

If there's one perfect way to consistantly disrupt a 3d experience it would have to be to constantly jam a stylus into it.

Yeah, I forgot about that. I'm a not a big fan of 3D anyway, so I'd be perfectly happy with the VITA solution intead of that annoying second small screen there. I mean, did you try Kingdom Hearts? The game asks you so often to leave the console, take the stylus, make the move and going back to traditional control. That's so dumb...

Jintor

That's just terrible design.

The focus in Theatrhythm seems to entirely be on the top-screen, anyway... not sure what the justification for the 4-track is in Battle mode though, other than perhaps to control the spacing.

Seriously though Ultimate is fucking hard as shit. Too many neurons going haywire.

eXistor

Just played for a bit. Pretty much what I expected it to be, there was only Man with a Machinegun from FFVIII and Sunleth Waterscape From FFXIII. I liked it, seems a nice little inbetween. The FFXIII one was really easy even on Ultimate (one of those walky ones), but the battle one was hard as nails. It wouldn't be, but it only allows for a few mistakes. Still, definitely gonna buy it.

The KH demo was ass, not fun at all.

Heropon

The man with the Machine Gun in extreme is extreeeeeeme. I just can't beat it.

But I loooove this game, and I'll buy lots of DLCs (give me some X-2 music and not only from FNC, that it seems is the only thing Square cares lately).

The man with the Machine Gun in extreme is extreeeeeeme. I just can't beat it.

But I loooove this game, and I'll buy lots of DLCs (give me some X-2 music and not only from FNC, that it seems is the only thing Square cares lately).

Just tried it on Ultimate myself and good god....died somewhere after the summon :/

Gambit

Love it!

This sucker will kill my wallet. Damn DLC!

If they really want to finish me off the next one has Chrono and Xenogears music

This game is fucking magnificent, and the battle mode in normal and hard are fucking brutal, cant get more than a C.
The running mode is much easier, normal S in my first and hard B.

Now I only need FFIX songs and characters.
Does it have DLC characters? I want Steiner and someone said he is not in the main game. I want to make a group with Steiner, Vivi, Yitan and Daga :(

gerudoman

Seems to be a fun game, but I don't imagine a person who isn't very much into the series such as me playing the game just for its gameplay.

WhyMe6

So this is definitely going to be my next addiction <3

I perfect chained Man With The Machine Gun and Sunleth Waterscape up to Expert...now to try and S Ultimate :X

You just gotta be one with the music!

EDIT: S on Sunleth ultimate, but not perfect and C on ultimate Machine Gun (so hard @_@)

Heropon

I'm finding that I play the game better with the 3ds in a table. I've found another use to the stand that came with Kid Icarus!

Volcynika

I want the demo. :( Square-Enix NA WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

But I'm glad I'm getting this via release day delivery. Holiday to enjoy time with family and play this game the day after. :D

Nintendo 3DS &#8211; and games like this one &#8211; would've been so better with just one 3d touch screen than not the current solution with two screens.

I actually prefer it like this for this particular game. Works great, imo.

EDIT: Oh, one screen instead of two... Nah, that's definitely not better in most cases. Touchscreen on the main screen though would have been nice for some games.

I'm finding that I play the game better with the 3ds in a table. I've found another use to the stand that came with Kid Icarus!

Yeah, it's much easier to play when you put the 3DS on a flat surface. Damn, I wish I had that stand, but I don't want to buy Kid Icarus...

Chunky

Yeah, I forgot about that. I'm a not a big fan of 3D anyway, so I'd be perfectly happy with the VITA solution intead of that annoying second small screen there. I mean, did you try Kingdom Hearts? The game asks you so often to leave the console, take the stylus, make the move and going back to traditional control. That's so dumb...

The touching in KH was almost non-existent and needed, like, 5 seconds of thumb-usage. You should feel silly if you took your stylus out for that.

As for this game, despite only playing Tactics A2 and about 5 hours of FF3, I'm very interested in Theatrythm. It just felt good, like they'd really put the effort in making it fun to play. Will pick this up when it's a little cheaper.
Although if they want to make a DQ/KH/TWEWY version I'd be there Day 1!
Also, crap us Ultimate difficulty hard! Like EBA 4th difficulty tier hard :/
Love it though :)

Hey, it's actually better than I tough. My only concern is DIFFICULTY.

On first try of the 2nd song, in expert, got A 227 crit 17 great 7 good 6 bad 0 miss...

It took weeks to master Ouendan last diffilty mode :(

Hey, it's actually better than I tough. My only concern is DIFFICULTY.

On first try of the 2nd song, in expert, got A 227 crit 17 great 7 good 6 bad 0 miss...

It took weeks to master Ouendan last diffilty mode :(

The second song is really easy. Try perfecting The Man with the Machine Gun instead.

Fabrik

Banned
It's a rhythm game. You can play one song in Rock Band and see everything it has to offer. That doesn't make it a bad game.

I didn't say it was a bad game. But there's no novelty here compared to Ouendan at the time.
Rhythm Heaven is also a rhythm game and there's a lot of new things to see as you progress nonetheless.

I'm wondering on which scale the "difficulty" of the first song is only because of the 4 layers.
It's an eye bleeder.

I mean, if they had put the exact same number of patterns but on 1/2 layers, wouldn't it have been easier ? Isn't it "artificial" difficulty ?

Top Bottom